PDA

View Full Version : Jans fills last scholarship Shawn Jones

NCMSTFAN
07-05-2022, 08:39 PM
Shawn Jones Jr. He is a 6'5 wing player who was committed to Texas State, another player that wasn't highly recruited and an unknown. Jans is definitely going to have to show his coaching ability because his first recruiting class is not good on paper, maybe he brings something out of them.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-05-2022, 08:47 PM
Why cant we find a X and O coach who is also a recruiter? Do they not exist?

msstate7
07-05-2022, 09:01 PM

Yeah, they go to bluebloods

Commercecomet24
07-05-2022, 09:03 PM
Im gonna give Jans a chance. The guy has won at literally every level.

Tripp McNeely
07-05-2022, 09:04 PM
Fellas...he's a walkon

NWADAWG
07-05-2022, 09:06 PM

Go look at the teams that are ranked and make the tournament every year...and there you'll find where they exist. It seems hard to tell which small school superstar coach will blow up and which will fizzle but we need to find that "diamond in the rough" coach. I'm not counting Jans out of this yet. We'll start finding out in 5-6 months.

CaptainObvious
07-05-2022, 09:11 PM
We have 7 to 8 player rotation. You can win with that. If you were a 4 or a 5 and saw Tolu had returned, would you be okay with 6 minutes a game?

If you were a 1 and saw we had 3 of them, would you be okay with 4 minutes per game?

Things are different now. The best teams sign 4 5 star freshmen. The rest piece together a team. It is what it is. Kermit cannot replicate what he did at middle Tn. Rent a player in basketball is the way now.

Homedawg
07-05-2022, 09:19 PM
How many people bring in great classes in less than 4 months??

662dawg
07-05-2022, 09:21 PM
Fellas...he's a walkon

If he's a walk-on this is a really nice pickup. His offer list isn't bad at all. Mad props to Jans if he got this kid to walk on. I laugh at the fools who keep crying over his recruiting LOL

NCMSTFAN
07-05-2022, 09:22 PM
Fellas...he's a walkon
Twitter initially said this was Jans last pick up but that got taken down so maybe he will be walking on.

Homedawg
07-05-2022, 09:28 PM
Twitter initially said this was Jans last pick up but that got taken down so maybe he will be walking on.

Don't think so....

NCMSTFAN
07-05-2022, 09:30 PM
Don't think so....
Whats that mean? Is he a walk on or Scholly guy?

Tripp McNeely
07-05-2022, 10:00 PM
Whats that mean? Is he a walk on or Scholly guy?

He's a walk on

NCMSTFAN
07-05-2022, 10:10 PM
He's a walk on

Good, that still leaves 1 spot for this season, if he decides to use it

NCMSTFAN
07-05-2022, 10:24 PM
Sounds like he got a scholarship. I didn't want to post the other link but it's a story written about it

Coach34
07-05-2022, 11:14 PM

Because these guys dont take jobs at Miss state. They go places they know they will be able to recruit. Sometimes it works- sometimes it doesnt. Look at the people that we contacted about our job after we got rid of Stands:

Shaka Smart- We contacted his agent and were told he wouldnt even consider the job for less than $3MM per. We didnt even consider that and moved on quickly. Smart went to Texas and found out winning an NIT title and not making it past the NCAA 1st round wasnt going to cut it. Took the Marquette job before he got fired

Bryce Drew- offered him the job. He declined and stayed at Valpo for the next big offer. Took the Vandy job and did not fare well.

I laugh about Steve Prohm. He was rolling at Murray State and we offered him when we booted Stands. He passed on us because he was hoping for the Bama job or something more higher profile. Had 3 more great seasons and then the best he could do was Iowa State. Had a couple of good seasons and what happens? Goes 2-22 and gets fired. Where is now? Back at Murray State.

Kermit Jr- tried like hell to get the State job after Stands. We declined. Turned his Middle Tenn job into a job at Mississippi. He is coaching for his job this season in Y5

Kenny Payne- We passed on Payne for Rick Ray (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha). Payne stayed as an Asst at Kentucky 8 more years- then was an asst for the Knicks. Now the HC at Louisville.

Reunion Dog
07-06-2022, 01:49 AM
The male cheerleader from jackson prep 17?ed us in Stans.

And if u r gonna can him? you sure as hell better have another hire ready. This has literally set back out basketball program 12 years and get ready to add a couple of more to it.

Kermit should have been given the job and Joe Dean, Jr the AD job.

Kenny Payne. 17 him. He took all the hush money and screwed us went to Louisville? where he was known as the best 3 point shooter in practice in America. He was NEVER coming here to coach. He refined his slush money was and now will do it out in the opening and legal at Louisville. And he has one hell of a x&o coach? because it?s not him. But they will win because THEY know how to play the game?. And a 💩 load of 💰💸💵

Cooterpoot
07-06-2022, 07:18 AM
The male cheerleader from jackson prep 17?ed us in Stans.

And if u r gonna can him? you sure as hell better have another hire ready. This has literally set back out basketball program 12 years and get ready to add a couple of more to it.

Kermit should have been given the job and Joe Dean, Jr the AD job.

Kenny Payne. 17 him. He took all the hush money and screwed us went to Louisville? where he was known as the best 3 point shooter in practice in America. He was NEVER coming here to coach. He refined his slush money was and now will do it out in the opening and legal at Louisville. And he has one hell of a x&o coach? because it?s not him. But they will win because THEY know how to play the game?. And a �� load of ������

How many years has it been since Stans was in the NCAA tournament? His ass needed to go. Nobody wants to come here. Our program has rarely been good. It's just like every other program not baseball.

Johnson85
07-06-2022, 09:41 AM
Im gonna give Jans a chance. The guy has won at literally every level.

Seriously. Lots of apparently good coaches flame out when they move up a level, but not sure how much more we could ask for from a resume standpoint.

Even if his recruiting hamstrings him, I am looking forward to having a well coached team as far as fundamentals and execution. I am tired of our recent brand of basketball where the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2022, 11:16 AM
Sounds like he got a scholarship. I didn't want to post the other link but it's a story written about it

He’s a walkon

Jack Lambert
07-06-2022, 11:20 AM
Coaches need to have the help of high school coaches in your recruiting foot print. He might need a year or two to build up a relationship.

NCMSTFAN
07-06-2022, 01:19 PM
He’s a walkon

Is that last scholly getting filled or is this the team?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2022, 02:35 PM
Is that last scholly getting filled or is this the team?

Plan to fill that spot

Offshore Dawg
07-06-2022, 06:06 PM
No Scholly, what part of WALK ON are you having the most trouble with.

LC Dawg
07-06-2022, 06:33 PM
We had a 3 time Final Four coach with decent to good teams and sometimes played in front of hundreds of fans. Hell, I'm glad we were able to hire someone of the caliber of Jans. I hope it works.

NCMSTFAN
07-06-2022, 08:39 PM
No Scholly, what part of WALK ON are you having the most trouble with.

What the heck are you talking about? Go re-read my last question! Obviously you read it wrong. I asked: IS THAT LAST SCHOLLY GETTING FILLED or is this the team? Meaning is Jans going to fill our last spot since this guy is a walk on or is he just going to save this last scholarshipfor next season.... He replied Jans plans to fill that final spot.

What part of that aren't you understanding? Learn to read and comprehend before you post dumb crap and call someone out.

PGHBulldogBG
07-08-2022, 07:56 AM
Jans is going to be just fine. He is a great coach and has succeeded at every stop by winning with under the radar players. I will take a floor coach any day over a recruiter at Miss State. Stans and Howland were recruiters that couldn?t make it past the 2nd round with high talented players. Williams was a floor coach and made it to the sweet 16 and final 4 without the same ?star? power Stans and Howland recruited

Catfish
07-08-2022, 10:43 AM
Jans is going to be just fine. He is a great coach and has succeeded at every stop by winning with under the radar players. I will take a floor coach any day over a recruiter at Miss State. Stans and Howland were recruiters that couldn?t make it past the 2nd round with high talented players. Williams was a floor coach and made it to the sweet 16 and final 4 without the same ?star? power Stans and Howland recruited

Good post. Jans is a great hire.

NCMSTFAN
07-08-2022, 11:41 AM

Good post and good points. The only push back I will give is when you say he succeeded at every stop with under the radar players....you're right, he did but the SEC isn't JUCO, Bowling Green or NM State. I have no doubt Jans can coach, but he will also have to get good talent on campus in this league. At the smaller schools you can get away with under radar players, coach them up and be a good team, heck you can even win a couple games in the tourney that way. But every good coach will tell you that their success always starts with recruiting. IMO if Jans can just bring the same level of players Howland and Stans were bringing in we are going to be really good.

msstate7
07-08-2022, 01:06 PM
Hmmm... didn't realize stansbury and howland had the equivalent of dampier and Jones.

msstate7
07-08-2022, 01:10 PM
Good post and good points. The only push back I will give is when you say he succeeded at every stop with under the radar players....you're right, he did but the SEC isn't JUCO, Bowling Green or NM State. I have no doubt Jans can coach, but he will also have to get good talent on campus in this league. At the smaller schools you can get away with under radar players, coach them up and be a good team, heck you can even win a couple games in the tourney that way. But every good coach will tell you that their success always starts with recruiting. IMO if Jans can just bring the same level of players Howland and Stans were bringing in we are going to be really good.

NM state is a really good basketball program. Since 1990, they've been to the tourney 16 times. That's 5 more than us all time

ETA... Marvin Menzies was at NMSU before jans, and he made the tourney 4 (assuming he woulda made it in 2020) of his last 5 years just like jans. Menzies flopped at unlv.

Not saying jans won't succeed, but I am a little nervous about how well coaches do at NMSU

Offshore Dawg
07-08-2022, 01:39 PM
What the heck are you talking about? Go re-read my last question! Obviously you read it wrong. I asked: IS THAT LAST SCHOLLY GETTING FILLED or is this the team? Meaning is Jans going to fill our last spot since this guy is a walk on or is he just going to save this last scholarshipfor next season.... He replied Jans plans to fill that final spot.

What part of that aren't you understanding? Learn to read and comprehend before you post dumb crap and call someone out.

Wasn't replying to you !

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2022, 01:54 PM
NM state is a really good basketball program. Since 1990, they've been to the tourney 16 times. That's 5 more than us all time

ETA... Marvin Menzies was at NMSU before jans, and he made the tourney 4 (assuming he woulda made it in 2020) of his last 5 years just like jans. Menzies flopped at unlv.

Not saying jans won't succeed, but I am a little nervous about how well coaches do at NMSU

Menzies did do very well at NMSU. Jans did better.

Menzies last 5 years at NMSU he did make it to the NCAA Tourney 4 out of 5 years. He only won the conference twice out of those 5. He was money in the conference tourney though winning 4 out of the 5
Tourneys. In Jans 4 full seasons he won the regular season & conference tournament every year.

Menzies last 5 seasons 122-53 (62-14) .685
Jans last 4 full seasons 110-32 (57-7) .775

So yes Menzies was good, very good. Jans was clearly better. We do have to see what he does here but he was clearly better than Menzies. The only coach who had a run as good as Jans at NMSU was Neil McCarthy & he ended up putting the school on probation because of an academic fraud case. Half the team wouldn’t have been eligible without it.

ETA: Since 1990 NMSU has won 10 Regular Season Conference Titles. Jans has 4 in 4 full seasons. The rest of those coaches have 6 in over 25 years. McCarthy 3, Henson 1, & Menzies 2. So yes NMSU has been money in conference tournaments but Jans was elite in the regular season & then handled business in the conference tourneys too.

NCMSTFAN
07-08-2022, 03:01 PM

No doubt, they are a solid mid major program and Jans did a really good job there. But using your example over that 20 year period would NMSU have made the tournament 5 more times than us of they were in our league? I highly doubt it.... my only point is he has to have good players to go along with that good coaching.. having average players but good coaching won't get you far in the SEC. I do think we have enough talent this year to scare some people because of who returned.. Shak, Tolu, DJ,
and Matthews all have alot of experience... if one or two of the new guys can be solid for us we can have a good team.

NCMSTFAN
07-08-2022, 03:01 PM
Wasn't replying to you !

My apologies if that wasn't directed at me, it seemed to be

NCMSTFAN
07-08-2022, 03:03 PM
Menzies did do very well at NMSU. Jans did better.

Menzies last 5 years at NMSU he did make it to the NCAA Tourney 4 out of 5 years. He only won the conference twice out of those 5. He was money in the conference tourney though winning 4 out of the 5
Tourneys. In Jans 4 full seasons he won the regular season & conference tournament every year.

Menzies last 5 seasons 122-53 (62-14) .685
Jans last 4 full seasons 110-32 (57-7) .775

So yes Menzies was good, very good. Jans was clearly better. We do have to see what he does here but he was clearly better than Menzies. The only coach who had a run as good as Jans at NMSU was Neil McCarthy & he ended up putting the school on probation because of an academic fraud case. Half the team wouldn’t have been eligible without it.

ETA: Since 1990 NMSU has won 10 Regular Season Conference Titles. Jans has 4 in 4 full seasons. The rest of those coaches have 6 in over 25 years. McCarthy 3, Henson 1, & Menzies 2. So yes NMSU has been money in conference tournaments but Jans was elite in the regular season & then handled business in the conference tourneys too.

Good info...

Offshore Dawg
07-08-2022, 03:19 PM
My apologies if that wasn't directed at me, it seemed to be

No problem we are good.

TheLostDawg
07-08-2022, 04:12 PM
So then the question becomes did he have better players then his competition

NCMSTFAN
07-08-2022, 06:03 PM
So then the question becomes did he have better players then his competition

Good questions if you look at his rosters over the years Jans brought in a good amount of JUCO and prep school kids, which is not a bad idea at a school like NMSU because your bringing in mature kids with experience from a higher level than high school who are ready to play. He also got kids from high major schools who didn't play much and they were solid for him.

Bothrops
07-10-2022, 02:23 PM
We had a 3 time Final Four coach with decent to good teams and sometimes played in front of hundreds of fans. Hell, I'm glad we were able to hire someone of the caliber of Jans. I hope it works.

This. We are lucky to have Jans. The state of Mississippi hasn't cared about basketball since the last time I got laid by a hot chick.

State82
07-11-2022, 02:46 PM
The state of Mississippi hasn't cared about basketball since the last time I got laid by a hot chick.

Yikes! That must be depressing.