PDA

View Full Version : Turning to Football, some MSU RB greats list, what say you

R2Dawg
07-03-2022, 06:56 PM
Here are a few catagories of RB and who I list with a few Honorable Mentions

Most explosive back - Jerious Norwood. When he decided to turn on the jets it was over. Without a few shoestring tackles, Norwood would have ran for 450 that day against Houston, he still had like 250.

Best Juke and swivel back - Decenzo Miller. Its Miller time, boy he had some wiggle as he knifed thru a D. Some great runs that showcased his open field talent like the run on UF or BYU and others.

Best overall back - Keiffer Magee, great combination of power, vision and enough speed. What could have been.
HM - A.Dixion

Best effort back - Vick Ballard When Vick smelled the endzone he could not be denied. He never had negative yards. The corkscrew dive on Ark (minus the fumble) signified the kind of effort that was Vic.
HM - Anthony Dixion - could put AD as co on this one too. AD willed his way to endzone a lot.

Best Bruiser Back - JJ Johnson Dude would flat truck you if you were in his path. Worst thing on D if he was going around the end he was about to plant and turn north making road kill on whatever was in his way. Love the MSU style in his time and the JWS, we are going to push you around type football. It was intimidating.
HM - Michael Davis

Best speed to the corner - Kenny Roberts, he could bust a corner like no one especially on that option.

Hardest to bring down - Josh Robinson - bowling ball, UK run says it all. Got a co on this one. AD gets it too. That drag run on Houston was just classic AD.

Best option back - Michael Haddix. He was always in the perfect spot to get the pitch from Bond and capitalize on it.

I'm sure I've left a few key catagories and players off. What say you?

CaptainObvious
07-03-2022, 07:31 PM
Walter Packer!

Goldendawg
07-03-2022, 08:13 PM
When he was in elementary, my nephew's favorite player was Decenzo. He and Pig were so nice to little kids on Super Dawg weekend. Have many pictures of them. My late SuperDawg Dad started carrying me to game in 63. I remember watching Hoyle Granger (maybe just on TV), Marcus Rhoden, Lewis Grubbs, Michael Davis, Kevin Bowie and others. State has had so many good RB's. Dad said the greatest college FB player he ever saw was Jackie Parker. Hail State!

basedog
07-03-2022, 08:25 PM
Walter Packer!

He was electric!

somebodyshotmypaw
07-03-2022, 09:19 PM
A back I always respected was Aries Williams. He was an incredible pass blocker, didn’t fumble, and he got positive yards even when nothing was there. Not one of our greats, but he was certainly underrated.

Matt3467
07-03-2022, 10:57 PM
Best up the middle back: Brandon Holloway

Bothrops
07-03-2022, 11:12 PM
Bruiser- Anthony Dixon
Speed- Jerious Norwood
Hardest to tackle- Michael Davis
Most underrated- Vick Ballard & Josh Robinson
The best that could have been- David Fair

parabrave
07-04-2022, 12:02 AM
Best up the middle back: Bandon Holloway

Instant Rep/

parabrave
07-04-2022, 12:05 AM
Best Bruiser Michael Davis. JJ always reminded me of Eric Dickerson. Running upright and hitting the hole. Mike Davis made his own hole.

Todd4State
07-04-2022, 01:23 AM
He may not have been the best but JJ Johnson was my personal favorite.

R2Dawg
07-04-2022, 07:50 AM
Bruiser- Anthony Dixon
Speed- Jerious Norwood
Hardest to tackle- Michael Davis
Most underrated- Vick Ballard & Josh Robinson
The best that could have been- David Fair

Good list. Most under rated I'd agree Vick Ballard and add Aries Williams. I forgot about A train. He got lost in the coaching schuffle.

David Fair I agree could have been unreal. Add Keiffer Magee and maybe Dontae Walker to that list.

R2Dawg
07-04-2022, 07:51 AM
He may not have been the best but JJ Johnson was my personal favorite.

Hard for me to argue this. JJ inflicted punishment on a D. The brand of football then was as good as ever at MSU.

parabrave
07-04-2022, 10:24 AM
Best tandem backfield was Davis and Bouie.

R2Dawg
07-04-2022, 11:08 AM

Another great catagory and good pick.

I'd also throw in Miller and Walker in 2000. Throw in Justin Griffith and a great trio.

HM - Aries and Hill, and Norwood and Turner

Coach34
07-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Bruiser has to go to Davis. His Egg Bowl game was a masterpiece

starkvegasdawg
07-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Have to throw out another HM to that tight end who could also run and throw just a little. That run against LSU where he stiff armed that poor DB so hard he bounced off the turf was a thing of beauty. I really thought he had some talent. Wonder whatever happened to...what was his name again?

tcdog70
07-04-2022, 11:50 AM
Walter Packer!

Exactly—Ode Burrell and Hoyle Granger—Hoyle only Dog to rush for 1000 yards in Pro ball.. what about WAyne Jones?

tcdog70
07-04-2022, 11:51 AM

Hoyle Granger

tcdog70
07-04-2022, 12:04 PM
FYI the only 2 Rbs to ever make All Star game—both with the Oilers—-Ode Burrell and Hoyle Granger

DownwardDawg
07-04-2022, 02:26 PM

Absolutely. And so much fun to watch.

State82
07-04-2022, 02:31 PM
Wonder whatever happened to...what was his name again?
Presley.....Preston.....something like that it seems. It will come to me at some point.

Todd4State
07-04-2022, 11:23 PM

Which one? 1993 or 1994? He got about 40 carries in both and dominated in both.

parabrave
07-05-2022, 01:11 AM
Bruiser not to forget about is Fred Collins. I think Fred still holds the longest run from scrimmage. Not bad for a FB

Reunion Dog
07-05-2022, 02:34 AM
The man?s number is retired in the stadium?

Art Davis.

He would excel in today?s environment? he was that good?

Furlow
07-05-2022, 07:03 AM
For anyone that remembers the late 70's . James Otis Doss & Lynn Copeland were very talented players.

FISHDAWG
07-05-2022, 07:21 AM

another great tandem team was Haddix & Donald Ray King - Bama can confirm this

R2Dawg
07-05-2022, 12:37 PM
another great tandem team was Haddix & Donald Ray King - Bama can confirm this

I wanted to name Haddix and could not remember King. Thank you. I can still hear Jack "Donald Ray King over left side powering his way for 3 tough yards."

They were a great tandem. Mr inside and Mr outside with Bond in ball control. The wishbone then was a thing of beauty that Bond and Bellard ran to perfection.

Coach34
07-05-2022, 03:11 PM
I wanted to name Haddix and could not remember King. Thank you. I can still hear Jack "Donald Ray King over left side powering his way for 3 tough yards."

They were a great tandem. Mr inside and Mr outside with Bond in ball control. The wishbone then was a thing of beauty that Bond and Bellard ran to perfection.

As good as that defense was in 80- it still boggles me how the Nasty Bunch put 42 on us that season. That close loss to Fla combined with the Belue to Scott 92 yard pass for Georgia was all that stood between us and a Sugar Bowl vs Notre Dame

Lord McBuckethead
07-05-2022, 05:30 PM
Good list. Most under rated I'd agree Vick Ballard and add Aries Williams. I forgot about A train. He got lost in the coaching schuffle.

David Fair I agree could have been unreal. Add Keiffer Magee and maybe Dontae Walker to that list.

A Train would have been nasty in Leech?s system. Hell he was good in both ******* and SloMos systems. A Train was definitely disrespected in his final year. If he played now, he could have transferred as RB1 to anyone else instead of wasting his senior season at State with Morehead.

R2Dawg
07-05-2022, 05:38 PM
As good as that defense was in 80- it still boggles me how the Nasty Bunch put 42 on us that season. That close loss to Fla combined with the Belue to Scott 92 yard pass for Georgia was all that stood between us and a Sugar Bowl vs Notre Dame

Yeah I know. The D on those teams with the talent on O had a chance to do big big things.

MSU has always figured out a way to screw up a great season. Just like 98, I have yet to understand how we got drummed by LSU that year like 42-6 or something.

R2Dawg
07-05-2022, 05:40 PM
A Train would have been nasty in Leech?s system. Hell he was good in both ******* and SloMos systems. A Train was definitely disrespected in his final year. If he played now, he could have transferred as RB1 to anyone else instead of wasting his senior season at State with Morehead.

Yeah Slomo went woke and said to heck with those that work hard and execute. Aries earned the right to be the man his senior year. Happens all the time in todays world though in all walks of life.

parabrave
07-05-2022, 05:44 PM

I remember that game like it was yesterday. USM had Reggie Collier and he went apeshit against MSU that day.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-05-2022, 10:26 PM
Yeah Slomo went woke and said to heck with those that work hard and execute. Aries earned the right to be the man his senior year. Happens all the time in todays world though in all walks of life.

Aries was the man on picking up a blitzer. He was a great pass blocker. He was also secure with the ball. He wasn’t flashy and didn’t break long runs. But he got positive yardage. He could get you 4 yards on 3rd and 3. He didn’t lose yardage very often. He wasn’t one our greats. But he was very effective.

Kylin Hill was flashier and had more potential and explosiveness. But Kylin was nowhere close to being the blocker that Aries was. And sometimes Kylin would only get you 1 yard on 3rd and 3 because he was trying to get you 30 yards.

State82
07-06-2022, 08:40 AM
I remember that game like it was yesterday. USM had Reggie Collier and he went apeshit against MSU that day.

Yep. Watching that whole debacle unfold in front of me in Memorial Stadium was a gut punch.

Coach34
07-06-2022, 10:00 AM
Yep. Watching that whole debacle unfold in front of me in Memorial Stadium was a gut punch.

The 1980 game was our homecoming game in Sville

parabrave
07-06-2022, 11:55 AM

My Sis was a homecoming Maid that day. Dam Reggie.

State82
07-06-2022, 11:56 AM

Yeah, yeah. That's right. Long time ago!

basedog
07-06-2022, 12:21 PM
Hoyle Granger

Most ED posters are saying "wut", LOL. Big Cajun who came to Msu and no one could understand his language! May be the toughest runner in Msu history! Legs bigger than tree stumps.

I was a very young dude but what I know about he and Ode would be right up at the top! Here is another back, Marcus Rhoden, fastest RB in our history.

Goldendawg
07-06-2022, 02:42 PM
I looked in top 10 in rushing yards and Ladarias Perkins is #8. Don't know how many yards he had but Kenny Roberts could also turn on the jets. We have had so many outstanding RB's.

R2Dawg
07-06-2022, 08:37 PM
I looked in top 10 in rushing yards and Ladarias Perkins is #8. Don't know how many yards he had but Kenny Roberts could also turn on the jets. We have had so many outstanding RB's.

Yeah Perkins was a good back I just don't think he was great at any one thing. Agree on Roberts. I had him a fastest to the corner. Dude could flat out fly.

FISHDAWG
07-07-2022, 07:34 AM
Yeah Perkins was a good back I just don't think he was great at any one thing. Agree on Roberts. I had him a fastest to the corner. Dude could flat out fly.

Perkins was the best receiving running back we ever had by far... IMO - I think he could have played wide receiver if he wanted (that's obviously an embellishment to make my point)
Probably would have kicked ass (again) in the Airbone

tcdog70
07-07-2022, 03:36 PM
Most ED posters are saying "wut", LOL. Big Cajun who came to Msu and no one could understand his language! May be the toughest runner in Msu history! Legs bigger than tree stumps.

I was a very young dude but what I know about he and Ode would be right up at the top! Here is another back, Marcus Rhoden, fastest RB in our history.

from my years of watching--Rhoden-Ode and Walter Packer were maybe the fastest. MR could for sure return a punt and kickoff.

tcdog70
07-07-2022, 03:38 PM

the game in jackson --where we knocked Reggie out of the Game--only to hear the Roar when he returned and hurt our feelings.

basedog
07-07-2022, 04:41 PM
from my years of watching--Rhoden-Ode and Walter Packer were maybe the fastest. MR could for sure return a punt and kickoff.

I would take Walter Packer every year to be my running back. Dude wasn’t just fast but was pretty tough for his size. No telling how many tear away jersey’s he went thru over his career. Watching Felker run the Veer was magic especially the last second pitch to Packer.

NCMSTFAN
07-08-2022, 08:04 AM

I like your underrated picks in Vick Ballard and Bowling ball. They both were tough and never went backwards! Ballard also went on to have some success in the NFL with the Colts but ended up getting injured and never really recovered. Colts fans really loved him too

R2Dawg
07-08-2022, 11:54 AM
I like your underrated picks in Vick Ballard and Bowling ball. They both were tough and never went backwards! Ballard also went on to have some success in the NFL with the Colts but ended up getting injured and never really recovered. Colts fans really loved him too

Yeah, I just loved Ballard's attitude and effort. Just doesn't get any better.

R2Dawg
07-08-2022, 11:56 AM
Another catagory, who was best JUCO transfer RB?

JJ Johnson
Vic Ballard
??

Best Freshman season at RB?

Dontae Walker
Norwood
Justin Griffith

parabrave
07-08-2022, 01:12 PM
Anyone remember a guy named James Jones? Wonder how he would've ended up if he didn't get his knee torn up. He did eventually get drafted by the Cowboys and did get some PT behind Dorsett.

parabrave
07-08-2022, 01:13 PM
Another catagory, who was best JUCO transfer RB?

JJ Johnson
Vic Ballard
??

Best Freshman season at RB?

Dontae Walker
Norwood
Justin Griffith

JUCO Kevin Bouie.