2. Colton Ledbetter LF
3. Hunter Hines 1B
4. Bill Knight CF
5. Paul Skenes DH
6. Kellum Clark RF
7. Luke Hancock C
8. Slate Alford 3B
9. Lane Forsythe SS

That's assuming Hancock comes back, which is a legit possibility. It's also assuming we get Skenes which is a possibility, but not a given. It's also assuming Kam goes pro, but it's possible he comes back and if he does, you could slide him in for Alford and bump him up a few spots in the lineup. Regardless of how it all shakes out, we've got a legit lineup on our hands, and we're an ace away (Skenes) from being a national championship favorite right now.

Fri- Skenes
Sat- Cade
Sun- Gartman/KC Hunt

Bullpen- Dohm (could start), Fristoe, Nixon, Jackson Kelley (soon), Pico, P. Johnson (iffy), Cheatham, Loftin and Cjente (if they make it to campus), Holcombe, Brandon Smith (could come back), other freshmen pitchers.

We gon' be alright.

HoopsDawg
07-01-2022, 08:10 PM
let's see how we look after the draft and after the portal recruiting is complete. but yeah, the staff is definitely putting in work. need a couple of more arms.

KOdawg1
07-01-2022, 08:11 PM
let's see how we look after the draft and after the portal recruiting is complete. but yeah, the staff is definitely putting in work. need a couple of more arms.

Well I think that goes without saying...

But we need another lefty out of the pen

msstate7
07-01-2022, 08:15 PM
The portal is an awesome tool for us this season when we were in trouble without it. Still, it's kinda sad to see free agency in college baseball also

662dawg
07-01-2022, 08:16 PM
1. Amani Larry 2B
2. Colton Ledbetter LF
3. Billy Knight CF
4. Hunter Hines 1B
5. Paul Skenes?/Hancock/Aaron Downs DH
6. Kellum Clark RF
7. Josh Hancock/Ross Highfill C
8. Slate Alford/Kam James 3B
9. Lane Forsythe SS

Ross Highfill at catcher and batting 8th is likely the worst case scenario for the position.

Nate Chester may have a say somewhere as well.

I just have a gut feeling Hancock will be coming back.

If we can add Skenes and secure at least one more reliever, this is an Omaha roster.

1. Paul Skenes
2. Cade Smith
3. Nate Dohm/Landon Gartman

Pico Kohn, Cole Cheatam, Jackson Fristoe, KC Hunt, Brock Tapper, Colby Holcombe, Jackson Kelley?

Closer: Aaron Dixon

Maybe's later in the year: Stone Simmons, Brooks Auger

msstate7
07-01-2022, 08:18 PM
I'd love to have Hancock back. I think he could have a huge season

HoopsDawg
07-01-2022, 08:19 PM
The portal is an awesome tool for us this season when we were in trouble without it. Still, it's kinda sad to see free agency in college baseball also

I agree on both counts. We were toast without the portal.

KOdawg1
07-01-2022, 08:22 PM
Plus it would allow Highfill and the younger catchers to ease into it and not be thrown into the fire immediately

Coach34
07-01-2022, 08:23 PM

Hancock's a glue guy. Will hit .290 or so, good OBP, and is a solid catcher. Would be great to have him back

Commercecomet24
07-01-2022, 08:25 PM
Really need Hancock to come back. Veteran leader and would let the young catchers develop at a slower pace. Gonna hit ok with a little pop and good obp.

BeardoMSU
07-01-2022, 08:28 PM
1. Amani Larry 2B
2. Colton Ledbetter LF
3. Hunter Hines 1B
4. Bill Knight CF
5. Paul Skenes DH
6. Kellum Clark RF
7. Luke Hancock C
8. Slate Alford 3B
9. Lane Forsythe SS

That's assuming Hancock comes back, which is a legit possibility. It's also assuming we get Skenes which is a possibility, but not a given. It's also assuming Kam goes pro, but it's possible he comes back and if he does, you could slide him in for Alford and bump him up a few spots in the lineup. Regardless of how it all shakes out, we've got a legit lineup on our hands, and we're an ace away (Skenes) from being a national championship favorite right now.

Fri- Skenes
Sat- Cade
Sun- Gartman/KC Hunt

Bullpen- Dohm (could start), Fristoe, Nixon, Jackson Kelley (soon), Pico, P. Johnson (iffy), Cheatham, Loftin and Cjente (if they make it to campus), Holcombe, Brandon Smith (could come back), other freshmen pitchers.

We gon' be alright.

Just went from 6 to midnight**

Coach34
07-01-2022, 08:31 PM
One thing we know now- we wont be ass in 2023 and finish last in the West

Commercecomet24
07-01-2022, 08:34 PM
One thing we know now- we wont be ass in 2023 and finish last in the West

I agree and got go give Lemonis some props for not just sitting still. I believe he had a little motivational get together with the staff after the season. Looks like it's working. Add a couple more arms and I'll feel really good.

Saltydog
07-01-2022, 08:40 PM
It's definitely a better lineup but our fellow SEC brethren are getting players just as good as we are so we'll see how it all washes out.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-01-2022, 09:03 PM
I agree and got go give Lemonis some props for not just sitting still. I believe he had a little motivational get together with the staff after the season. Looks like it's working. Add a couple more arms and I'll feel really good.
Everybody else in the West is loading up as well.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2022, 09:10 PM

So it should be very competitive just like it always is.

ETA and only 2 coaches in the sec west with national championships. Lemonis and Bianco

CaptainObvious
07-01-2022, 10:46 PM
I think if we can add a guy who played in the California Penal League last year, the staff will be set! ?Gimme Vaughn?

Commercecomet24
07-01-2022, 11:20 PM
I think if we can add a guy who played in the California Penal League last year, the staff will be set! ?Gimme Vaughn?

Awesome! Give em the heater, Kid!

BeardoMSU
07-01-2022, 11:31 PM
?Gimme Vaughn?

http://i.imgur.com/H62QdgG.gif

The Federalist Engineer
07-02-2022, 12:10 AM
So it should be very competitive just like it always is.

ETA and only 2 coaches in the sec west with national championships. Lemonis and Bianco

Christian Little of Vanderbilt seems headed to LSU. "Geaux Tigers" tweeted out.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2022, 12:30 AM
Christian Little of Vanderbilt seems headed to LSU. "Geaux Tigers" tweeted out.

Yeah I think he committed last week.

Todd4State
07-02-2022, 03:09 AM

Doesn't really matter. All we have to do is be good enough to get to the postseason. I would love for us to have some teams like Arkansas and Tennessee had last year and this year respectively where we dominate and get 25 SEC wins. But with national championships at the end of the year.

The biggest thing I see is we need to learn to handle success much better than we did last year. We have to be Nick Saban ruthless rather than keep guys around because we're nice.

Todd4State
07-02-2022, 03:13 AM
1. Amani Larry 2B
2. Colton Ledbetter LF
3. Hunter Hines 1B
4. Bill Knight CF
5. Paul Skenes DH
6. Kellum Clark RF
7. Luke Hancock C
8. Slate Alford 3B
9. Lane Forsythe SS

Fri- Skenes
Sat- Cade
Sun- Gartman/KC Hunt

We gon' be alright.

As you can see this lineup has a lot more speed in it and that should allow us to be more versatile and flexible on offense. At the same time I don't think we're losing a lot of power either. Hopefully with guys on base more often will hit more 2-4 run home runs instead of random solo shots.

The pitching staff needed to be overhauled. There is going to be so much competition in the fall it's going to be crazy. It's also almost impossible to predict too.

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2022, 07:55 AM
Doesn't really matter. All we have to do is be good enough to get to the postseason. I would love for us to have some teams like Arkansas and Tennessee had last year and this year respectively where we dominate and get 25 SEC wins. But with national championships at the end of the year.

The biggest thing I see is we need to learn to handle success much better than we did last year. We have to be Nick Saban ruthless rather than keep guys around because we're nice.

We were pretty close to that in '16, but only had 21 wins. But, we have to remember they play in the East - and the East winner has an advantage playing at least 3 so-so to bad programs in UK, Missouri, and USC. Plus Florida and Vandy were not their typical juggernauts this year and UGA was a different team every weekend. I think in the West they are probably closer to a 20 win team than 25.

CaptainObvious
07-02-2022, 11:14 AM
I think the recipe is get to 16-18 wins in SEC, schedule wins in the mid week so that you can build depth, and qualify for Hoover. Get out of Hoover as fast as possible if you know you will host a Regional. You want to be Top 16 when the Regionals are announced if possible. 37 wins will usually get MSU a host spot. Schedule accordingly based on your SEC slate. If you know you have Vandy and Florida on you schedule, limit the damage early season opponents can cause to your RPI but definitely schedule series you can win.

In 2 years, non-conference scheduling is going to require winnable games when Okla and UTex join.

KOdawg1
07-02-2022, 11:23 AM
I think the recipe is get to 16-18 wins in SEC, schedule wins in the mid week so that you can build depth, and qualify for Hoover. Get out of Hoover as fast as possible if you know you will host a Regional. You want to be Top 16 when the Regionals are announced if possible. 37 wins will usually get MSU a host spot. Schedule accordingly based on your SEC slate. If you know you have Vandy and Florida on you schedule, limit the damage early season opponents can cause to your RPI but definitely schedule series you can win.

In 2 years, non-conference scheduling is going to require winnable games when Okla and UTex join.

I want winnable games in non-conf but I'd like to see us stop scheduling the Northern Kentucky's and Princeton's of the world.

Not that it mattered much this year anyway, but those are absolute RPI killers, even if you win. God forbid you lose one.

I'd like to see us schedule games with teams more like Troy, Sam Houston State, South Alabama, FAU, UAB, UCF, etc.

Those are all teams in the 80-110ish RPI range that we most likely will beat but won't destroy our RPI if we don't. It never hurts to be tested either.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-02-2022, 11:51 AM

^^^^^This ^^^^^ we had way too many players on our Roster that were not SEC quality players. Non of our starters were really pushed by any of the bench players.

CaptainObvious
07-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Yes. That is my point as well. Don?t play a bunch of RPI killers but don?t schedule a Top 10 non-Conf schedule either. We have a reputation. We are in the SEC.we don?t need to prove we can beat Omaha quality Non-SEC opponents early in the year. We play enough of those in SEC play.

A 16-10 non-con schedule doesn?t do a lot of good of you go 14-16 in Conf. But 20-6 non Conf record sure looks better when you are 14-16 in the SEC.

DownwardDawg
07-02-2022, 02:46 PM

I agree. Such mixed feelings.

WinningIsRelentless
07-02-2022, 03:15 PM
Clark better start hitting better than .250 or he will find his butt riding the bench.

Cowbell
07-02-2022, 03:28 PM
D1 baseball Currently has us as the number 4 team preseason for next year. That's a lot higher than I would of thought.

TNDawg35
07-02-2022, 04:12 PM
D1 baseball Currently has us as the number 4 team preseason for next year. That's a lot higher than I would of thought.

You sure that’s not from last year? That’s what we were ranked last year preseason.

R2Dawg
07-02-2022, 04:17 PM

Probably got us confused with Mississippi; you know there is only one school in MS per the media.

Cowbell
07-02-2022, 05:02 PM
You sure that?s not from last year? That?s what we were ranked last year preseason.

You are correct - I'm an idiot

TNDawg35
07-02-2022, 06:00 PM
Probably got us confused with Mississippi; you know there is only one school in MS per the media.

Oh you can go ahead and pencil them into the top 10 next year. It doesn’t matter if they are loosing their whole
Line up, they will be top 10…

Pancho
07-02-2022, 07:48 PM
The whole SEC west will be top 15 other than bama and msu

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2022, 08:34 PM
The whole SEC west will be top 15 other than bama and msu

With the lineup posted here, we're a national title contender. Not bottom 2 in the SEC.

We will have had the 2nd best portal haul of the year behind LSU & that's only if Little and Carter Young are good

Commercecomet24
07-02-2022, 08:56 PM
With the lineup posted here, we're a national title contender. Not bottom 2 in the SEC.

We will have had the 2nd best portal haul of the year behind LSU & that's only if Little and Carter Young are good

Good to see you back and I agree!

Homedawg
07-02-2022, 10:34 PM

I wouldn't have taken either of the two. Now, they may work out. But the limitations we have money wise, no chance.

Catfish
07-02-2022, 10:37 PM

Good post and welcome back.

TNDawg35
07-03-2022, 04:13 AM
I wouldn't have taken either of the two. Now, they may work out. But the limitations we have money wise, no chance.

One has regressed badly and one is a head case cause he didn’t get his way… I wouldn’t have taken either. Their Creighton pitcher may not even make it to campus, yet D1 baseball is already picking them to win it all next year…

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Here?s the thing about baseball.

Unlike football, in baseball you don?t have to be the best team. You just have to be ?good enough?.

Ole Miss wasn?t close to the best team this year, but they were good enough.

This portal haul, especially if we land Skenes, makes us plenty good enough to make a run

tcdog70
07-03-2022, 11:40 AM
Throw strikes and don’t strike out. Those 2 things that we didn’t do put us in the basement.

Todd4State
07-03-2022, 03:32 PM

Unlike football, in baseball you don?t have to be the best team. You just have to be ?good enough?.

This portal haul, especially if we land Skenes, makes us plenty good enough to make a run

It also helped that Dylan DeLucia came out of nowhere for them.

I know he's a top 200-250 draft prospect so he wouldn't be coming out of nowhere but we really need Colby Holcombe to do the same for us. We are usually finding JUCO guys that need to take about a year to adjust. If he crashes and burns like Walling did that's a big indictment on Foxhall.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2022, 04:07 PM

This. Baseball is not football or basketball. Nailed it, Gun!

TALL DAWG
07-03-2022, 07:34 PM
Really need Hancock to come back. Veteran leader and would let the young catchers develop at a slower pace. Gonna hit ok with a little pop and good obp.

Can we not pay Luke $10-$15k in NIL $ to get him to come back? Having good senior leadership in Luke would be a great ?glue guy? as Coach 34 mentioned.

Todd4State
07-03-2022, 11:24 PM
We were pretty close to that in '16, but only had 21 wins. But, we have to remember they play in the East - and the East winner has an advantage playing at least 3 so-so to bad programs in UK, Missouri, and USC. Plus Florida and Vandy were not their typical juggernauts this year and UGA was a different team every weekend. I think in the West they are probably closer to a 20 win team than 25.

That's a good point. I would like to see us win 25 SEC games a year even in the West because I'm greedy though. Competition be damned!

It's a quandry because our fans enjoy playing good brand named baseball teams and take pride in that. And then combine that with our fans not understanding RPI. I'm sure I'll get some disagreements- but we actually tend to overschedule sometimes at least a little bit. We want to play in prestigious preseason tournaments and play people like Oregon State and then at Tulane and then Texas Tech in Biloxi. And then when our RPI is bad because we've lost all of those series our fans blame a random loss to Northern Kentucky for tanking our entire RPI. And that's not how it works. As far as RPI goes you're better off playing an easy OOC schedule and winning those games than you are playing a killer schedule and losing half of them. We may be better off backing off a little bit and maybe playing in a tournament or a home and home against Texas Tech rather than both in the same season.

Clark better start hitting better than .250 or he will find his butt riding the bench.

He was hitting better in the Cape for average. I'm optimistic at this point.

I agree. And I don't think Tommy Tanks was a fit for us really. We need to finish it off with Kelly and Skenes.

I wouldn't either. I'm not sure that Young could beat out Forsythe at this point. He would have to improve his average by a good bit and then I'm not sure that he's better defensively than Forsythe either. Not to where the 2-5 home runs justify bringing him in. I don't think Little fits our culture to be honest with you. Especially with Lemonis trying to re-establish it.

Todd4State
07-03-2022, 11:30 PM
Can we not pay Luke $10-$15k in NIL $ to get him to come back? Having good senior leadership in Luke would be a great ?glue guy? as Coach 34 mentioned.

I'm sure we will offer him, Preston, Brandon Smith, Kam James, and KC Hunt NIL. But we're in wait and see mode with that because we aren't going to show our cards until after the draft.

I'm also guessing that we'll have to offer a lot more than 10-15K too.

BuckyIsAB****
07-04-2022, 09:11 AM
The catcher from Madison Central is going to be legit. I would bet some money on him getting some innings

Homedawg
07-04-2022, 10:41 AM

Like has a nil deal. And it will be bigger if he comes back. It's up to him if he wants to get on w his life or not.

Homedawg
07-04-2022, 10:42 AM
The catcher from Madison Central is going to be legit. I would bet some money on him getting some innings

He has a lot of tools. I'm not sure he's ready for the every day fire if the sec yet. But he's going to play some no doubt.

KOdawg1
07-04-2022, 10:51 AM
He has a lot of tools. I'm not sure he's ready for the every day fire if the sec yet. But he's going to play some no doubt.

That's why I think Hancock coming back would be huge. It would allow Highfill to get his feet wet without throwing him off in the deep end. And then he could take over next year (we don't need to count out Bryce Hubbard though).

But like you said, it's just up to him on what he wants to do.

FISHDAWG
07-05-2022, 09:39 AM
is it safe to assume we won't get any return from the pitching that got hurt this year (L Sims) ? .... I know he got hurt early and had surgery early but I don't know how long it takes to fully recover

Commercecomet24
07-05-2022, 09:57 AM
is it safe to assume we won't get any return from the pitching that got hurt this year (L Sims) ? .... I know he got hurt early and had surgery early but I don't know how long it takes to fully recover

Sims will go early in the draft(first or second round), he's gone.

Coach34
07-05-2022, 09:59 AM

Sims is about to be a millionaire. He's done with college. Simmons likely cant contribute in time if he returns

Irondawg
07-05-2022, 11:05 AM
Keeping Hunt and Preston would be really nice. If that happens and Pico can make a jump then our staff next year is world better than what we finished the last month of this season with.

WinningIsRelentless
07-05-2022, 06:17 PM
That's a good point. I would like to see us win 25 SEC games a year even in the West because I'm greedy though. Competition be damned!

It's a quandry because our fans enjoy playing good brand named baseball teams and take pride in that. And then combine that with our fans not understanding RPI. I'm sure I'll get some disagreements- but we actually tend to overschedule sometimes at least a little bit. We want to play in prestigious preseason tournaments and play people like Oregon State and then at Tulane and then Texas Tech in Biloxi. And then when our RPI is bad because we've lost all of those series our fans blame a random loss to Northern Kentucky for tanking our entire RPI. And that's not how it works. As far as RPI goes you're better off playing an easy OOC schedule and winning those games than you are playing a killer schedule and losing half of them. We may be better off backing off a little bit and maybe playing in a tournament or a home and home against Texas Tech rather than both in the same season.

He was hitting better in the Cape for average. I'm optimistic at this point.

I agree. And I don't think Tommy Tanks was a fit for us really. We need to finish it off with Kelly and Skenes.

I wouldn't either. I'm not sure that Young could beat out Forsythe at this point. He would have to improve his average by a good bit and then I'm not sure that he's better defensively than Forsythe either. Not to where the 2-5 home runs justify bringing him in. I don't think Little fits our culture to be honest with you. Especially with Lemonis trying to re-establish it.

He is hitting 245!!!!! That?s not hitting better. At this point we should plan a replacement for him and if he surprised us good if not move on.

Homedawg
07-05-2022, 06:26 PM
He is hitting 245!!!!! That?s not hitting better. At this point we should plan a replacement for him and if he surprised us good if not move on.

It's the best league in America w a wooden bat. Limited at bats. I'm not saying he's going to hit 300 but the usage of that stat in this instance, is worthless... matter of fact he didn't if sniff that last summer, so he'a better.

WSOPdawg
07-05-2022, 06:47 PM
It's the best league in America w a wooden bat. Limited at bats. I'm not saying he's going to hit 300 but the usage of that stat in this instance, is worthless... matter of fact he didn't if sniff that last summer, so he'a better.

Speaking of the best in America, I saw where Bianco trimmed Team USA from 51 to 26 players with 8 being from the SEC. I don't imagine we had any Bulldogs that were at the team trials, BUT to me that is definitely part of the problem with LY's roster and overall team results. Skenes did make the roster fwiw.

WinningIsRelentless
07-05-2022, 07:57 PM

17 K?s, 5 walks and only 12 hits in 49 AB?s. He has issues at the plate.

Patrick Tibbons
07-05-2022, 08:29 PM

Not sure about Hancock but we?ve promised at least one draft eligible player a 6 figure NIL deal if he doesn?t sign with an MLB team, so I think the money is starting to come in.

Coach34
07-05-2022, 08:47 PM
Not sure about Hancock but we?ve promised at least one draft eligible player a 6 figure NIL deal if he doesn?t sign with an MLB team, so I think the money is starting to come in.

Yeah Charlie said we have had a few guys and businesses starting to step up. And when we get the website functional it will give us another boost

Commercecomet24
07-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Yeah Charlie said we have had a few guys and businesses starting to step up. And when we get the website functional it will give us another boost

Yeah and I think the website is gonna be big. You're gonna get a lot of people that can't give thousands that'll pony up 25-100 a month or more and it'll add up quick.

Todd4State
07-05-2022, 11:13 PM

Yeah and I think the website is gonna be big. You're gonna get a lot of people that can't give thousands that'll pony up 25-100 a month or more and it'll add up quick.

And the reality is not everyone uses Venmo. So, yes I think the web site will take it up a notch big time.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-06-2022, 06:04 AM
I didnt know getting a website set up and functional was that big of an ordeal nowadays.

Homedawg
07-06-2022, 06:23 AM
I didnt know getting a website set up and functional was that big of an ordeal nowadays.

So you are volunteering your services to help set it up? It needs to be secure, handle lots of money potentially, and easy to operate. Should be easy. Charlie thanks you in advance.

State82
07-06-2022, 08:48 AM
So you are volunteering your services to help set it up? It needs to be secure, handle lots of money potentially, and easy to operate. Should be easy. Charlie thanks you in advance.

Yep. Lots of dotted "i's" and crossed "t's" to deal with on something like this. Rules and stuff. It's not like putting one together to advertise a grass cutting service.

CharlieWinfield
07-06-2022, 09:37 AM
The website is easy enough, but there are complications on taking payments. In any event, we are close. Candidly, I have just been distracted at times meeting with donors. Hope you will reach out to me, and I can give more details. Would love to visit and fill you in.

FISHDAWG
07-06-2022, 03:09 PM
And the reality is not everyone uses Venmo. So, yes I think the web site will take it up a notch big time.

this ... my techno challenged self doesn't know Venmo and I don't use Pay-Pal .... but I can click the hell out of a link and enter a card number

Coach34
07-06-2022, 05:48 PM
this ... my techno challenged self doesn't know Venmo and I don't use Pay-Pal .... but I can click the hell out of a link and enter a card number

Hearing they are close to getting it up and running. Want to work out kinks and any issues beforehand rather than constantly having issues. Which seems to match Charlie’s personality- from what little I know of him. Just the kinda vibe you get from telecasts and speaking briefly with him

Catfish
07-06-2022, 05:58 PM

LOL, I'm with you on this one.

Offshore Dawg
07-06-2022, 06:08 PM
WE as Dawgs should be thankful that we have a "Charlie".

Commercecomet24
07-06-2022, 06:57 PM

Lot of folks just like you, that's why I think this website will be big for us.

Coach34
07-06-2022, 07:33 PM
WE as Dawgs should be thankful that we have a "Charlie".

I agree with this 100%. Dont leave Bart out also.

TNDawg35
07-06-2022, 11:37 PM
Will the website be where you can donate in a business/persons name?