PDA

View Full Version : Basketball transfers

662dawg
07-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Are we about to pick up 6'8 forward Tyler Stevenson from Southern Miss that transferred to Illinois Chicago & decommitted from them today?

PJ retweeted his decommittment.

Would this be a good fit?

msstate7
07-01-2022, 01:54 PM
I'll certainly take him, but another poor 3-pt shooter. We seem to be becoming.... the same team.

NCMSTFAN
07-01-2022, 02:03 PM
Yes, he just committed to us......He averaged 14 ppg and 7 rpg on a bad Southern Miss team....shoots and makes alot of mid-range jumpers. He wasn't highly recruited out of high school, former walk-on, nor was he highly recruited in the transfer portal. His only portal offer was UIC. He may be pretty solid but not a starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zenX9mfF7_E

NCMSTFAN
07-01-2022, 02:10 PM
To be honest with you Jans didn't get any of his top portal targets, I think he's just trying to fill these last two scholarships at this point. We still need one more Guard.

trob115
07-01-2022, 02:15 PM
Yep we missed badly in the portal, mostly due to being outbid in NIL. Keshawn Murphy is likely our starting 4. That's a big ask of a freshman.

HoopsDawg
07-01-2022, 02:34 PM
Hard to be excited about this roster.

BankerDog
07-01-2022, 03:23 PM
Fired a recruiter for a X and O?s guy. People shouldn?t complain who wanted the recruiter gone.

Pancho
07-01-2022, 03:26 PM
We should be better off in the long run.

CovertDawg
07-01-2022, 03:55 PM
Stevenson is a solid get. Plays very, very hard. At worst he will be a high energy forward off the bench. Took way too many long two point shots at Southern Miss but Jans will rid him of that habit. Will get most of his points from crashing the boards.

KOdawg1
07-01-2022, 04:03 PM
Hard to be excited about this roster.

An updated coaching philosophy should help, but I still think we're still on the border of NIT/NCAA

NCMSTFAN
07-01-2022, 04:18 PM
Stevenson is a solid get. Plays very, very hard. At worst he will be a high energy forward off the bench. Took way too many long two point shots at Southern Miss but Jans will rid him of that habit. Will get most of his points from crashing the boards.

Yes he's a solid get and will be another hard nosed player.. But there's a reason he didn't get recruited out of High School and the only portal offer he had was Illinois-Chicago. Somebody has to go score and be more than a tough nosed defender or rebounder..... we don't have a guy like that. When Tolu sits where does our post presence come from? Who takes the game over on the perimeter? We lack on talent right now... our most talented guys are all of Howlands guys who decided to come back.... I think Jans will be a great x and o coach but worry about our recruiting future

NCMSTFAN
07-01-2022, 04:33 PM
An updated coaching philosophy should help, but I still think we're still on the border of NIT/NCAA

I agree, that will help. And we may just have enough talent left over for Jans to do something this season... Shak, Tolu, Matthews and Jeffries have the talent and experience.... if Jans is the coach we all think he is those guys along with his coaching should keep us competitive... but I'm not too high on any of the new guys he brought in and we will need them

DownwardDawg
07-01-2022, 05:15 PM
Fired a recruiter for a X and O?s guy. People shouldn?t complain who wanted the recruiter gone.

Agree. Howland was a great recruiter. We have to wait and see what coaching does here instead of recruiting.

NCMSTFAN
07-01-2022, 06:01 PM
Yep we missed badly in the portal, mostly due to being outbid in NIL. Keshawn Murphy is likely our starting 4. That's a big ask of a freshman.

I agree the NIL did play a part, but Jans has never been known as a recruiter neither as an assistant or HC.

ZedFedder
07-01-2022, 09:01 PM
The roster is solid, but I think Jans will help us as an on floor coach. Bold prediction: We are an 8-10 seed in NCAA.

PGHBulldogBG
07-01-2022, 09:21 PM

No complaints here. I?m all in for Jans and think he will be our best coach since Richard Williams. I still think Cohen hit a home run here

msugolf
07-01-2022, 09:34 PM

You?re going to have to show me where he was this great recruiter you speak of. I see a whole lot more busts than contributors from the past 3-4 classes

662dawg
07-01-2022, 10:06 PM
You?re going to have to show me where he was this great recruiter you speak of. I see a whole lot more busts than contributors from the past 3-4 classes

Not to mention the classes weren't even that great on paper either.

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 06:36 AM

Malik Newman.. Mcdonalds All American
Quinndary Weatherspoon drafted by the Spurs
Reggie Perry McDonald's AA drafted by Brooklyn
Robert Woodard drafted by Sacramento
Dj Stewart 4 star, signed with Miami heat
Iverson Molinar signed with Milwaukee Bucks
Garrison Brooks signed with New York Knicks
Tyson Carter 4 star
Nick Weatherspoon 5/4 star
Aric Holman 4 star played with Lakers and Spurs summer league
Mario Kegler 4 star
Abdul Ado 4 star
Lamar Peter 4 star

Howland recruited a ton of talent... he just didn't coach them well but no one can say he wasn't a good receuiter. I'll debate this all day long

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 06:38 AM
Not to mention the classes weren't even that great on paper either.
See above post smh.. Jans won't come close to Howland as a recruiter...

msstate7
07-02-2022, 07:20 AM
Tyson Carter 4 star
Mario Kegler 4 star
Abdul Ado 4 star
Lamar Peter 4 star

Howland recruited a ton of talent... he just didn't coach them well but no one can say he wasn't a good receuiter. I'll debate this all day long

Tolu should be on this list

662dawg
07-02-2022, 07:40 AM
See above post smh.. Jans won't come close to Howland as a recruiter...

Sorry friend but that is NOT elite recruiting. So sign about one 4* star per year, maybe two a year or two & he's right on par with Howland recruiting wise. Several of them were also busts or didn't live up to the hype.

R2Dawg
07-02-2022, 07:56 AM
Agree. Howland was a great recruiter. We have to wait and see what coaching does here instead of recruiting.

This is correct. I've watched a few classics from the Stans era. Just need a couple of blue chippers and a lot of hard nosed get it done type guys. You can win with that.

We/ve already tried the recruiting championship approach and it didn't work.

Jans MO is the later; lets wait and see what happens.

msstate7
07-02-2022, 08:02 AM
Sorry friend but that is NOT elite recruiting. So sign about one 4* star per year, maybe two a year or two & he's right on par with Howland recruiting wise. Several of them were also busts or didn't live up to the hype.

It's relative. "Elite" recruiting at miss state is different than at Florida, Kentucky, lsu, etc.

So you thought we lost bc of talent? If the talent was subpar, then howland did a solid job of coaching.

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 09:45 AM

Your playing on words now, I never said elite... I said he was a good recruiter, which he was..if anyone thinks otherwise they don't know basketball. Howland brought in a ton of talent to State, that's why it's so disappointing he didn't win the way he should have

662dawg
07-02-2022, 10:13 AM
Your playing on words now, I never said elite... I said he was a good recruiter, which he was..if anyone thinks otherwise they don't know basketball. Howland brought in a ton of talent to State, that's why it's so disappointing he didn't win the way he should have

I know basketball and Jans will recruit on par with what Howland did here. Just like the coaches before him, except Rick Ray. And Jans is known to be a really good X & O's coach.

662dawg
07-02-2022, 10:17 AM
It's relative. "Elite" recruiting at miss state is different than at Florida, Kentucky, lsu, etc.

So you thought we lost bc of talent? If the talent was subpar, then howland did a solid job of coaching.

I disagree. Elite or great means just that no matter where you are. And Howland did do a "solid" job here regardless of the false narratives. It was just time to move on. I'm excited about Jans.

maroonmania
07-02-2022, 10:28 AM

Howland did fine recruiting, his problem was floor coaching and player development. He was obviously a good coach back in the day but either he was past his prime or the game has passed him by. The days of never playing but one style of defense and having no clue how to attack a zone on offense (as a couple of examples) and still be successful are long gone.

trob115
07-02-2022, 11:51 AM
Howland was a good recruiter, not elite. I was a huge Howland supporter and will always be grateful for him pulling us out of the Rick Ray disaster.

I think Jans is a far superior floor coach, so we have to hope he learns how to land some of these high profile transfers in the NIL world. We were on several big time players this season, and simply got outbid. Jans has made huge strides with some of the big basketball supporters and I think you'll see us nab a couple big time transfers moving forward.

JC is feeling the heat from inside the big donors too. He is going to be lucky if he survives this season as AD.

KOdawg1
07-02-2022, 11:52 AM
Howland got talent. He just did nothing with it.

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 11:58 AM
I know basketball and Jans will recruit on par with what Howland did here. Just like the coaches before him, except Rick Ray. And Jans is known to be a really good X & O's coach.

What are you basing that off? What highly recruited guys has Jans brought in at his prior programs? Say what you want about Howland but the guy brought in really good talent. I hope Jans can, but so far I'm not impressed with his recruiting. I know it's early and he will have time but let's not act like he's on Howland's level in terms of recruiting

ZedFedder
07-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Tyson Carter 4 star
Mario Kegler 4 star
Abdul Ado 4 star
Lamar Peter 4 star

Howland had one class rated top 10, another rated 16, and the rest were not top 25.

Rawdawg
07-02-2022, 12:18 PM
Howland had one class rated top 10, another rated 16, and the rest were not top 25.

There?s 352 schools that play D1 basketball, and most years you only sign 2-3 guys.

662dawg
07-02-2022, 12:24 PM
What are you basing that off? What highly recruited guys has Jans brought in at his prior programs? Say what you want about Howland but the guy brought in really good talent. I hope Jans can, but so far I'm not impressed with his recruiting. I know it's early and he will have time but let's not act like he's on Howland's level in terms of recruiting

My point is he did not elevate our recruiting any better than say, Stans or Richard Williams. We were bringing in the same type of talent that we became accustomed to & nothing more, except during the Rick Ray era.

What if a few of the players Jans brought in this year turns out to be legit?

Let's not act like Howland was bringing in players like Pearl at Auburn and the Alabama coach is bringing in. Schools with less basketball prestige than MSU. That's great/elite recruiting.

662dawg
07-02-2022, 12:24 PM

Bingo.

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 12:39 PM
My point is he did not elevate our recruiting any better than say, Stans or Richard Williams. We were bringing in the same type of talent that we became accustomed to & nothing more, except during the Rick Ray era.

Let's not act like Howland was bringing in players like Pearl at Auburn and the Alabama coach is bringing in. Schools with less basketball prestige than MSU. That's great/elite recruiting.

Stans is also a really good recruiter.. look at the guys he is getting at Western Kentucky of all places.. Howland continued that.

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 12:42 PM

Bad analogy... some classes only saw a couple of guys come in. So let me get this straight, you don't think Howland was a good recruiter?

Pancho
07-02-2022, 12:53 PM
He did recruit them and put them on the court but my deal with it was how some but not all of these high profile guys seemed just a touch uncoachable. Maybe they were simply looking to get to the league and bang some bucks. The defense was horrendous in spells and Howland simply had no clue vs a zone D, especially full court and I didn't feel like all the guys gave 100% like Q always did. I think Jans will have a harder playing team ans I am interested to see what type guys he signs in year 2 and beyond.

CaptainObvious
07-02-2022, 01:11 PM
He did recruit them and put them on the court but my deal with it was how some but not all of these high profile guys seemed just a touch uncoachable. Maybe they were simply looking to get to the league and bang some bucks. The defense was horrendous in spells and Howland simply had no clue vs a zone D, especially full court and I didn't feel like all the guys gave 100% like Q always did. I think Jans will have a harder playing team ans I am interested to see what type guys he signs in year 2 and beyond.
I think you are going to see the difference in Howland and Jan?s that you did in The Womens coaching transition year over year.

May not have the talent to win the SEC but they will play harder under Jan?s than they did under Howland, and will win more because of it.

662dawg
07-02-2022, 01:17 PM
Bad analogy... some classes only saw a couple of guys come in. So let me get this straight, you don't think Howland was a good recruiter?

He had one year where he only bought in 3 players. The others were mostly huge classes. Jans will recruit just as well. Get Hubbard next year and he's basically on par with Howland's overall recruiting.

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 03:02 PM
He had one year where he only bought in 3 players. The others were mostly huge classes. Jans will recruit just as well. Get Hubbard next year and he's basically on par with Howland's overall recruiting.

Huh? Getting Hubbard puts him on par with Howland's overall recruiting? How?????? Jans isn't in the same field as Howland when it comes to recruiting yet. Getting Hubbard puts him there? Name one highly rated recruit under Jans' belt. Look at these guys he just brought in... none were highly recruited. He brought in New Mexico State talent to the SEC.. and thats no disrespect to the players.. I do think Eric Reed will contribute because he can shoot the ball but let's not act like Jans is close to Howland when it comes to recruiting because he is not. He's a heck of a coach though and that's why we will win

msstate7
07-02-2022, 03:39 PM
So what's best guess at starting 5 come November?

662dawg
07-02-2022, 03:50 PM
Huh? Getting Hubbard puts him on par with Howland's overall recruiting? How?????? Jans isn't in the same field as Howland when it comes to recruiting yet. Getting Hubbard puts him there? Name one highly rated recruit under Jans' belt. Look at these guys he just brought in... none were highly recruited. He brought in New Mexico State talent to the SEC.. and thats no disrespect to the players.. I do think Eric Reed will contribute because he can shoot the ball but let's not act like Jans is close to Howland when it comes to recruiting because he is not. He's a heck of a coach though and that's why we will win

Well I figured you'd understand that I meant "yearly" recruiting while at State being Jans hasn't been around near as long as Howland.

Jans did a helluva job with that New Mexico State talent.

And I stand by my comment. Jans will recruit every bit as well as Howland here. Just like Stans & Richard Williams did.

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 03:59 PM
Well I figured you'd understand that I meant "yearly" recruiting while at State being Jans hasn't been around near as long as Howland.

Jans did a helluva job with that New Mexico State talent.

And I stand by my comment. Jans will recruit every bit as well as Howland here. Just like Stans & Richard Williams did.

Yes he did do well with New Mexico State talent... but would they have won as many games as they did if they were in the SEC? No.... he will have to get SEC talent

msstate7
07-02-2022, 04:03 PM
I think a good barometer of Jans' coaching ability will be DJ Jeffries. Jeffries has talent, but he's played under an inexperienced coach and an older one. If jans can unlock DJ, this season could be ok

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 04:09 PM
So what's best guess at starting 5 come November?

I'm not sure how Jans coached yet or his style but I would say:

PG: DeShawn Davis
SG: Shakeel Moore
SF: DJ Jeffries
PF: Keyshawn Murphy
C: Tolu Smith

Again, I'm not familiar with Jans' style yet or the lineups he likes to use so that's my guess. He may also bring Moore off the bench and start Eric Reed. He also may use Jeffries as a stretch 4 sometimes too

NCMSTFAN
07-02-2022, 04:12 PM
I think a good barometer of Jans' coaching ability will be DJ Jeffries. Jeffries has talent, but he's played under an inexperienced coach and an older one. If jans can unlock DJ, this season could be ok

Good post and I ageee. DJ needs to be our go to guy.. we don't have a Molinar, Stewart, Weatherspoon or any of those other go to players of the past on this team. If Jans can unlock Jeffries potential we can be really good and as you said that will show how good of a coach Jans is.

BankerDog
07-02-2022, 09:52 PM

Basketball Prestige? Do you think we are Duke? We have had one Final Four appearance in our history. That doesn?t make us prestigious. Most years, in our good years, we battled with Bama to win the west..

662dawg
07-02-2022, 09:58 PM
Basketball Prestige? Do you think we are Duke? We have had one Final Four appearance in our history. That doesn?t make us prestigious. Most years, in our good years, we battled with Bama to win the west..

Literally the reason I mentioned Auburn and Alabama is because I believe Howland, hailed as a great recruiter here, should have at least recruited on the same level as they have if he were truly "elite" or "great".

msstate7
07-02-2022, 09:59 PM

Ncaa tourney appearances
Auburn 11
State 11
Bama 22

Not sure how we have a better basketball history than auburn. We in no way are better than bama.

662dawg
07-02-2022, 10:10 PM
Ncaa tourney appearances
Auburn 11
State 11
Bama 22

Not sure how we have a better basketball history than auburn. We in no way are better than bama.

Now do Bama's last 30 years where they've only had 11 20+ wins seasons. Auburn has 8 in that same period. We have 15. I'd say we've had a better overall basketball program than both the past 30 years.

NCMSTFAN
07-03-2022, 09:15 AM
Honestly we haven't been on Auburn or Bama's level since we had Stansbury.. Stans kept us relevant and had us in the tourney most years, we just never advanced far.

msstate7
07-03-2022, 09:25 AM
Now do Bama's last 30 years where they've only had 11 20+ wins seasons. Auburn has 8 in that same period. We have 15. I'd say we've had a better overall basketball program than both the past 30 years.

Why an arbitrary number like 30? What about 20? What about 10?

662dawg
07-03-2022, 10:04 AM
Why an arbitrary number like 30? What about 20? What about 10?

Because it's the history most recruits will know about & remember. But yea do 10 or 20 if you'd like. Not much changes.

662dawg
07-03-2022, 10:09 AM
Honestly we haven't been on Auburn or Bama's level since we had Stansbury.. Stans kept us relevant and had us in the tourney most years, we just never advanced far.

This is categorically false but carry on. Not to mention as "great" a recruiter as Howland was you'd have thought we'd taken the next step at least recruiting wise, correct?

NCMSTFAN
07-03-2022, 10:17 AM
This is categorically false but carry on. Not to mention as "great" a recruiter as Howland was you'd have thought we'd taken the next step at least recruiting wise, correct?

How is this false? Do you even watch basketball?? What have we done since Stansbury left? Nothing..... but like Howland, Stansbury is a heck of a recruiter, it's his strength, just like Howland.. I can name a ton of 4 and 5 star guys they both brought to State. But unfortunately neither of them coached well enough for that to equate to major success. Stans did have more success than Howland though.

msstate7
07-03-2022, 10:37 AM
Because it's the history most recruits will know about & remember. But yea do 10 or 20 if you'd like. Not much changes.

If it's recruits 5-10 years is all that matters

Coach34
07-03-2022, 11:01 AM
If it's recruits 5-10 years is all that matters

90% of our recruits know very little about college basketball. They dont watch it. They watch the NBA and play NBA 2K on PS or XBox

EdwardDrayton
07-03-2022, 11:10 AM
90% of our recruits know very little about college basketball. They dont watch it. They watch the NBA and play NBA 2K on PS or XBox

Is it possible we will see at some point academics and athletics become completely separate? Athletics turning into another pay for play level? Is it fair to say more and more athletes do not care about the education?

662dawg
07-03-2022, 02:11 PM
How is this false? Do you even watch basketball?? What have we done since Stansbury left? Nothing..... but like Howland, Stansbury is a heck of a recruiter, it's his strength, just like Howland.. I can name a ton of 4 and 5 star guys they both brought to State. But unfortunately neither of them coached well enough for that to equate to major success. Stans did have more success than Howland though.

There's a thing called Google. Look it up and you'll understand how incorrect you are about what you stated.

NCMSTFAN
07-03-2022, 02:19 PM
There's a thing called Google. Look it up and you'll understand how incorrect you are about what you stated.

Your post make no sense, I'm not googling anything.. if you can't defend your post without googling, don't post anything. I don't care what Google says, I know what I'm talking about

BiscuitEater
07-03-2022, 02:39 PM
Tyson Carter 4 star
Mario Kegler 4 star
Abdul Ado 4 star
Lamar Peter 4 star

How many stayed for four years much less contributed for three besides Q or Ado?

662dawg
07-03-2022, 03:05 PM
Your post make no sense, I'm not googling anything.. if you can't defend your post without googling, don't post anything. I don't care what Google says, I know what I'm talking about

"Honestly we haven't been on Auburn or Bama's level since we had Stansbury.. Stans kept us relevant and had us in the tourney most years, we just never advanced far."

If you had said we haven't been on Auburn's level since Bruce Pearls arrival, you'd have been more correct, but even then we were at their level his first 2-3 years. So what changed? Because he's an ACTUAL elite/great recruiter & took them to the next level recently.

Auburn was down during our Rick Ray years. Auburn took the next step because of an ACTUAL GREAT recruiter/coach.

20 win seasons since Stansbury:
Auburn 4
MSU 3
Bama 3

Yea we definitely haven't been on Bama or Auburn's level 🤦 Good thing you know basketball tho.

& my point stands. Jans will recruit as well as Howland did here. And Jans is likely the better coach.

msstate7
07-03-2022, 03:42 PM
How many stayed for four years much less contributed for three besides Q or Ado?

Lol, calipari sucks as a recruiter too. How many stayed 4 years? lol

NCMSTFAN
07-03-2022, 03:44 PM

Aric Holman 4 years
Nick Weatherspoon 3 years
Lamar Peters 3 years
Tyson Carter 4 years
DJ Stewart 3 years
Quindarry Weatherspoon 4 years
Abdul Ado 4 years
Iverson Molinar 3 years

And everyone I listed all contributed whats your point?

msstate7
07-03-2022, 03:48 PM
"Honestly we haven't been on Auburn or Bama's level since we had Stansbury.. Stans kept us relevant and had us in the tourney most years, we just never advanced far."

If you had said we haven't been on Auburn's level since Bruce Pearls arrival, you'd have been more correct, but even then we were at their level his first 2-3 years. So what changed? Because he's an ACTUAL elite/great recruiter & took them to the next level recently.

Auburn was down during our Rick Ray years. Auburn took the next step because of an ACTUAL GREAT recruiter/coach.

Auburn 4
MSU 3
Bama 3

Yea we definitely haven't been on Bama or Auburn's level 🤦 Good thing you know basketball tho.

& my point stands. Jans will recruit as well as Howland did here. And Jans is likely the better coach.

Tournies
Bama 4
Auburn 3
State 1

Sweet 16
Bama and auburn 1
State 0

Sec champs
Bama and auburn 1
State 0

You really trying to sell us as equals?

NCMSTFAN
07-03-2022, 03:50 PM

Auburn 4
MSU 3
Bama 3

I honestly don't even know what point your trying to make at this point. What you just posted tells me nothing. 20 win seasons? That means absolutely nothing in today's game. There was a time where a 20 win season meant you were almost guaranteed a tourney spot, now it means nothing.. Quad wins determine your spot in the tournament.

Posting about 20 win season definitely didn't help whatever point you're trying to make.

NCMSTFAN
07-03-2022, 03:51 PM
Tournies
Bama 4
Auburn 3
State 1

Sweet 16
Bama and auburn 1
State 0

Sec champs
Bama and auburn 1
State 0

You really trying to sell us as equals?

I was just about to post this exact same thing

msstate7
07-03-2022, 04:02 PM
I was just about to post this exact same thing

Not to mention, why would auburn and bama (our equals) be keeping their coaches while we move on?

662dawg
07-03-2022, 04:26 PM
Not to mention, why would auburn and bama (our equals) be keeping their coaches while we move on?

Ummm because they have great/elite recruiters as coaches. Everything they've done since Stans has been since we hired Howland. Auburn more than Bama. You are literally making my point that Howland was in fact NOT a great/elite recruiter. Jans will recruit just as well as Howland has here.

msstate7
07-03-2022, 04:27 PM
Ummm because they have great/elite recruiters as coaches. Everything they've done has been since we hired Howland. Aubirn more than Bama. You are literally making my point that Howland was in fact NOT a great/elite recruiter. Jans will recruit just as well as Howland has here.

Mumble, mumble... 20 win seasons

ZedFedder
07-03-2022, 04:28 PM
Also, we can hate on Jans as a recruiter but 5 years ago Mosley would have been a bulldog. It isn’t Jans fault that we couldn’t outbid Mizzou.

NCMSTFAN
07-03-2022, 06:25 PM
Also, we can hate on Jans as a recruiter but 5 years ago Mosley would have been a bulldog. It isn’t Jans fault that we couldn’t outbid Mizzou.

I personally hope Jans does great for us and I'm not hating on him as a recruiter, I'm only voicing my concerns about it. I know he will be a really good coach I just worry about the recruiting, he hasn't had to recruit at an SEC level before and his 1st class here is filled with mid major portal guys...

I do think with what we have coming back along with the guys he added we will be good this year, because he can coach.. but going forward I'm concerned about it. And your right the NIL is another hurdle to overcome but he will have to adjust just like every other coach will.

BiscuitEater
07-04-2022, 03:58 PM
Lol, calipari sucks as a recruiter too. How many stayed 4 years? lol

Cal's players contribute before they leave; Howland's not so much!

NCMSTFAN
07-04-2022, 05:00 PM
Cal's players contribute before they leave; Howland's not so much!

What do we define as contribute? Howland had alot of players contribute and put up good numbers but that didn't turn into wins and is why we have a new coach. His recruiting outshined his coaching

mparkerfd20
07-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Man some of you guys sure loved a washed up has been that could recruit decently on paper but do much of nothing when they got here. I'm ready to see what the new blood can do.

msstate7
07-04-2022, 07:36 PM
Man some of you guys sure loved a washed up has been that could recruit decently on paper but do much of nothing when they got here. I'm ready to see what the new blood can do.

I like the Jans' hire. Why do you have to trash howland to appreciate the new guy? So weird

ZedFedder
07-04-2022, 08:22 PM
At the end of the day, the Ws and Ls and tourney appearances are all that matters. I’m hopeful Jans can increase both the Ws and tourneys.

PGHBulldogBG
07-05-2022, 07:02 AM
As frustrating as Howland was, he put us in a decent position to make the next step. Howland was a good hire to clean up after post Stans and Rick Ray, but there is no doubt it was time to move on. He ran a clean program for the most part except for baby spoon getting involved in JoMos tutorgate which I put the blame on Moorhead there a lot more than Howland Now we have a solid floor coach which we have lacked since Williams. I?m confident Jans can take the next step and make us a tournament team most years.