PDA

View Full Version : We have got to do something about transfer rules.

Leroy Jenkins
06-29-2022, 06:47 PM
All of college sports is a damn mess right now.

CaptainObvious
06-29-2022, 07:08 PM

That ship has sailed. The NCAA had their nuts cut off by Congress. There will eventually be a 50 team Super League probably supplemented by the NFL, and State will not be a part of it.

At some point Ole Miss and State will truly become the Harvard and Yale of the South. 🥲🥲

Leeshouldveflanked
06-29-2022, 07:26 PM
That ship has sailed. The NCAA had their nuts cut off by Congress. There will eventually be a 50 team Super League probably supplemented by the NFL, and State will not be a part of it.

At some point Ole Miss and State will truly become the Harvard and Yale of the South. 🥲🥲
Ole Miss will be part of it MSU wont unless it has a change of Leadership. We will have a cool baseball stadium where we can play USM, Delta State and Millsaps.

CaptainObvious
06-29-2022, 07:38 PM
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Texas A&M
Texas
Oklahoma
Kentucky
Southern Cal
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
Arizona St
Stanford
Ohio State
Michigan
Wisconsin
Penn State
Iowa
Michigan St
Clemson
Miami
Florida State
North Carolina
NC St
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Ga Tech
Nebraska
Oklahoma St
Colorado
Notre Dame
Houston
Central Fl
South Fl
Texas Tech
Cal
Boston College
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
SMU
Utah
Utah St
BYU

That?s 50 that have more money and bigger fan bases, but most importantly, MORE MONEY!!!

Plus I left out Arkansas with Walmart and Tyson money, Syracuse with Rich alumni, and Vandy with an endowment that makes us look like La Tech.

Cooterpoot
06-29-2022, 07:44 PM
It's always funny it's the same couple here telling us it's the end of the world in every thread.

maroonmania
06-29-2022, 09:50 PM

I agree 100%. For workers in a free market economy this kind of stuff can work but sports leagues are a totally different animal and none have ever worked like this at any level. Even in the pros you have salary caps and multi year contracts and players have to come in under the draft long before they can become free agents. There has NEVER been a sports league operating where every player can just go sign with the highest bidder and renegotiate with someone else the next year all the while the best new incoming players can choose the team they want to play for that can throw the most money at them. I am not against players reaping some benefit from the money generated in college athletics (particularly football) but this absolutely is NOT the way to go about it. Even when the courts decided to allow NIL, what's happening now was absolutely not the intention even though anyone with common sense should have known this would be the result. Money being thrown out now is strictly to get players to either come or stay at a school and has nothing to do with the player doing something tangible to actually earn money off their name, image or likeness which was the intention. But it really doesn't matter what the rules are when the rules become unenforceable like they are now.

DownwardDawg
06-29-2022, 10:05 PM
Transfer rule and NIL cap. It's coming.

DownwardDawg
06-29-2022, 10:06 PM

At some point Ole Miss and State will truly become the Harvard and Yale of the South. ����

Nobody would watch college sports anymore. No need. Just start watching pro.

BuckyIsAB****
06-29-2022, 10:12 PM
Ole Miss will be part of it MSU wont unless it has a change of Leadership. We will have a cool baseball stadium where we can play USM, Delta State and Millsaps.

Man are you sure you want to support State? This is like a daily occurrence with you haha

Commercecomet24
06-29-2022, 10:27 PM
It's always funny it's the same couple here telling us it's the end of the world in every thread.

Yep every time.

Quaoarsking
06-29-2022, 10:58 PM

Not so fast. Having Scott Stricklin and Greg Byrne as other SEC ADs would be super helpful. Sankey's child is an MSU alum, and Keenum is well-connected politically. Not to mention we don't have the recent racial baggage. It would be great to place MSU people at more higher-up positions in other ADs, but as it is I don't think we're any more likely to get left out than Ole Miss.

(And I doubt either of us will anyway. It's the Pac-12 and Big 12 schools with small fanbases who would get left out if the entire Power 5 doesn't get to be a part of it.)

Apoplectic
06-30-2022, 03:13 AM
I?m looking forward to the return of student athletes playing for the school they love. Sport will be just as good and probably more exciting. Can we speed it the switch

chef dixon
06-30-2022, 06:58 AM
I?m looking forward to the return of student athletes playing for the school they love. Sport will be just as good and probably more exciting. Can we speed it the switch

When was that the case? Maybe the 1930s? And it ain't changing

Offshore Dawg
06-30-2022, 08:00 AM
And the same people always quick to spend somebody else's money.

Hot Rock
06-30-2022, 08:01 AM
NIL monies are no different that we have had for decades and decades. You just see it now. There was always monies being thrown around.

transfer portal does need some tweaking. It's messed up for a guy to be on 3 different teams in three years. That's just messed up. At least make them stay 3 years at their signing school or something.

viverlibre
06-30-2022, 10:26 AM
I look for the Power 5 to break away and form their own organization. Each conference will be between 14 and 16 teams with ND coming to uneasy truce with the ACC. That would be between 70 and 80 teams. I think all current P5 teams are safe.

Commercecomet24
06-30-2022, 10:48 AM
I look for the Power 5 to break away and form their own organization. Each conference will be between 14 and 16 teams with ND coming to uneasy truce with the ACC. That would be between 70 and 80 teams. I think all current P5 teams are safe.

This is more than likely what will eventually happen.

FISHDAWG
06-30-2022, 11:59 AM
Question for someone that knows more than I do about all three teams .... in your opinion, has the portal hurt us more or helped more ?

KOdawg1
06-30-2022, 01:15 PM
Question for someone that knows more than I do about all three teams .... in your opinion, has the portal hurt us more or helped more ?

It'll help baseball because we're a blue blood. We would be in DEEP **** next year if we didn't have the portal.

I feel like it might help basketball because there are so many mid to lower level schools that produce good players to choose from. We're not going to land the big fish in the portal, but we can get that next tier of guys. Similar to baseball, we'd be in trouble next year if not for the portal.

Football is about the same as it always has been. We may upgrade positions in a few spots, but so has the rest of our league, often times with even better players. Not many teams will be able to poach our team in baseball or basketball. We absolutely will get poached in football if we don't get with it

Goldendawg
06-30-2022, 05:50 PM
Right now seems to be a confusing mess with very few rules. Instead of one and done, go to highest bidder out of HS, play one year and become free agent again. Next two or three years of "eligibility as student athlete" repeat the process. Gonna be funny when some of the high paid freshmen are complete busts or $ paid destroys the locker room. That big $ QB better have a big $ LT. I only watch the NFL now when Dak or a MSU alum is on the team. At least they have a salary cap.

CaptainObvious
06-30-2022, 06:44 PM
Yep. I used to watch the Saints and a few other NFL games, Monday night football and even Thursday night football. Heck, I hardly ever watch the Saints now. Ain?t usually don?t even watch all the Cowboys games if they are struggling. I could watch College Football all day on Saturday switching back and forth on the over-lapping games all the way to midnight. I never ever watch the NBA or the NHL. I would go to Friday night HS games of teams I have no affiliation with if the wife would give me both Fridays and Saturdays off.

DownwardDawg
06-30-2022, 08:49 PM
Yep. I used to watch the Saints and a few other NFL games, Monday night football and even Thursday night football. Heck, I hardly ever watch the Saints now. Ain?t usually don?t even watch all the Cowboys games if they are struggling. I could watch College Football all day on Saturday switching back and forth on the over-lapping games all the way to midnight. I never ever watch the NBA or the NHL. I would go to Friday night HS games of teams I have no affiliation with if the wife would give me both Fridays and Saturdays off.

More and more people are giving up on sports altogether. I know a handful that have completely stopped watching or even paying attention anymore.

Lord McBuckethead
07-01-2022, 09:39 PM
It'll help baseball because we're a blue blood. We would be in DEEP **** next year if we didn't have the portal.

I feel like it might help basketball because there are so many mid to lower level schools that produce good players to choose from. We're not going to land the big fish in the portal, but we can get that next tier of guys. Similar to baseball, we'd be in trouble next year if not for the portal.

Football is about the same as it always has been. We may upgrade positions in a few spots, but so has the rest of our league, often times with even better players. Not many teams will be able to poach our team in baseball or basketball. We absolutely will get poached in football if we don't get with it

It is more indirect in football. Remember those years when Bama would be missing a huge part of their team be it LBers or kickers? Well that will never happen again. They will never have a team that isn?t fully put together again. Even if they miss two years in a row at a position. Money comes out and the poach every other schools talent and back to full strength once again.

TheLostDawg
07-05-2022, 11:17 AM
It is more indirect in football. Remember those years when Bama would be missing a huge part of their team be it LBers or kickers? Well that will never happen again. They will never have a team that isn?t fully put together again. Even if they miss two years in a row at a position. Money comes out and the poach every other schools talent and back to full strength once again.

Yes but they also aren't the team they use to be anymore. They use to get all the top recruits. One 5* replace another. That's why Ole miss had a couple lucky years, they played Alabama early while those young players were learning- Alabama was almost always unstoppable towards the end of the year (when we always had to play them). That being said Alabama will continue being a top team as they will continue getting top players but things are a lot more competitive now that Tamu and Miami (and others, LSU) are outbidding them for players. I think they'll be a lot better team early compared to in the past though there will still be a learning curve for new transfers. Watch Saban retire in the not too near future now that he doesn't have the advantage he once had.

NCMSTFAN
07-05-2022, 12:20 PM
I agree there needs to be more structure with the transfer rules and the NIL situation, but on the other hand the transfer rule change allows schools to get good fast, especially in baseball and basketball. In the old days, if you lost players to transfer and/or graduation you were re-building for the next few years with Freshman and JUCO guys. Now you can hit the portal and be relevant right away. Our baseball and basketball teams had to do it this off-season. It allows teams to rebuild right away.

The NIL does need a cap and does need to set better rules and boundaries, that will probably happen next year, there is no way it stays like this.

FISHDAWG
07-05-2022, 01:39 PM
The NIL does need a cap and does need to set better rules and boundaries, that will probably happen next year, there is no way it stays like this.

I feel your pain but there is no way to overturn the SCOTUS .... limit transfers to once is the only way to exercise some sense of control ... after all - the NCAA is still the governing agency that determines eligibility

NCMSTFAN
07-05-2022, 02:13 PM
I feel your pain but there is no way to overturn the SCOTUS .... limit transfers to once is the only way to exercise some sense of control ... after all - the NCAA is still the governing agency that determines eligibility

If a player transfers more than once don't they have to sit out a year? One free transfer then sit a year if you want to transfer again?

Apoplectic
07-05-2022, 02:17 PM

This is me too. Feels like I?ve been enlightened. Starting to look at those who haven?t seen the light as cavemen.

FISHDAWG
07-05-2022, 02:59 PM
If a player transfers more than once don't they have to sit out a year? One free transfer then sit a year if you want to transfer again?

I think you're right ... maybe just tighten up the transfer criteria ... With the right NIL agreement they could almost afford to sit a year ... Just no easy answer. I don't think there will be a way to limit the money though.

Extendedcab
07-05-2022, 04:20 PM
I think you're right ... maybe just tighten up the transfer criteria ... With the right NIL agreement they could almost afford to sit a year ... Just no easy answer. I don't think there will be a way to limit the money though.

What about a clause that says if you make more than $XXX NIL, name your amount, say $100K for example, then you no longer qualify under NCAA rules and you have to go pro. Similar to today if you sign an agent your are finished with college sports.

maroonmania
07-05-2022, 08:50 PM
What about a clause that says if you make more than $XXX NIL, name your amount, say $100K for example, then you no longer qualify under NCAA rules and you have to go pro. Similar to today if you sign an agent your are finished with college sports.

I guess I still don't understand how a federal court can set eligibility requirements for the NCAA. Student athletes could have always been paid money its just that now when they get paid somehow the law won't let the NCAA tell them they are no longer amateurs?

FISHDAWG
07-06-2022, 03:16 PM
I guess I still don't understand how a federal court can set eligibility requirements for the NCAA. Student athletes could have always been paid money its just that now when they get paid somehow the law won't let the NCAA tell them they are no longer amateurs?

I thought the NCAA set eligibility ... the courts just said they could make money on their NIL. I know in professional golf that amateurs forfeited their winnings or had to turn pro ... thus losing their amateur status. It just seems like the NCAA could come up with something if they really wanted to but probably don't want to spend millions in court fighting it

maroonmania
07-06-2022, 06:00 PM
I thought the NCAA set eligibility ... the courts just said they could make money on their NIL. I know in professional golf that amateurs forfeited their winnings or had to turn pro ... thus losing their amateur status. It just seems like the NCAA could come up with something if they really wanted to but probably don't want to spend millions in court fighting it

Players could have always earned NIL type money if someone was willing to pay them. NCAA could not have stopped that and it was certainly not illegal. But no booster or business would openly pay a player if it cost that player their amateur status as a college athlete even if there were no potential NCAA sanctions involved for the school. So somewhere in all this mess the NCAA had to have changed their eligibility rules.

BrunswickDawg
07-07-2022, 09:08 AM
Players could have always earned NIL type money if someone was willing to pay them. NCAA could not have stopped that and it was certainly not illegal. But no booster or business would openly pay a player if it cost that player their amateur status as a college athlete even if there were no potential NCAA sanctions involved for the school. So somewhere in all this mess the NCAA had to have changed their eligibility rules.

No, they couldn't because the NCAA had rules that restricted NIL type activities. Remember Todd Gurley? Remember Tyrell Pryor and Ohio State's tattoo "scandal"? You could not sign autographs for money, get paid for product endorsements, trade autographs for tats, etc. You could barely work a summer job because some booster "might" pay you for a fake job. The reason we have this NIL mess is that the NCAA refused to evolve.

RiverCityDawg
07-07-2022, 10:13 AM

That's literally what the Supreme Court said they couldn't do that has caused this change. The NCAA cannot take away their eligibility as a result of them receiving money/benefits from their NIL unless it is used as an inducement to play for that school. The problem is they have virtually no power to enforce the "inducement" part, so it's open season. Combine this with the free transfer portal situation and here we are.

Offshore Dawg
07-09-2022, 09:18 AM
To be factual I have no idea what WE can do.

maroonmania
07-10-2022, 02:28 PM
No, they couldn't because the NCAA had rules that restricted NIL type activities. Remember Todd Gurley? Remember Tyrell Pryor and Ohio State's tattoo "scandal"? You could not sign autographs for money, get paid for product endorsements, trade autographs for tats, etc. You could barely work a summer job because some booster "might" pay you for a fake job. The reason we have this NIL mess is that the NCAA refused to evolve.

Sure they could. There was never anything illegal about an NIL deal so the NCAA could never actually have stopped it. Oh yes, if the deal had come from a booster of the school they could have levied sanctions on the school. But if it was from just some random business the only thing the NCAA could really do was to have taken away the eligibility of the player. But the NCAA never had authority to take away the money or the deal itself.

BrunswickDawg
07-11-2022, 06:17 AM
Sure they could. There was never anything illegal about an NIL deal so the NCAA could never actually have stopped it. Oh yes, if the deal had come from a booster of the school they could have levied sanctions on the school. But if it was from just some random business the only thing the NCAA could really do was to have taken away the eligibility of the player. But the NCAA never had authority to take away the money or the deal itself.

They forced Gurley to donate his money to charity. That's taking the money. You are just flat wrong about this. Taking away their eligibility means - guess what - they had rules restricting NIL.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2022, 07:22 AM
They forced Gurley to donate his money to charity. That's taking the money. You are just flat wrong about this. Taking away their eligibility means - guess what - they had rules restricting NIL.

this is correct and is why this ended up in the Supreme Court ... The student athletes on athletic scholarship couldn't even work a job while the school and everyone else was making money on them personally .... and that's when the SCOTUS ruled that these guys could be compensated ... The NCAA could probably had done more but saw this was an uphill battle that could never be won ... But the NCAA is the governing authority on eligibility and transfers .... and YES there were absolutely rules restricting HIL or other income

BrunswickDawg
07-11-2022, 07:47 AM
this is correct and is why this ended up in the Supreme Court ... The student athletes on athletic scholarship couldn't even work a job while the school and everyone else was making money on them personally .... and that's when the SCOTUS ruled that these guys could be compensated ... The NCAA could probably had done more but saw this was an uphill battle that could never be won ... But the NCAA is the governing authority on eligibility and transfers .... and YES there were absolutely rules restricting HIL or other income

Well, it could have been settled by collective bargaining. But, that would have meant admitting that players are employees, and have the right to organize and the NCAA knew that would end the gravy train as currently constructed.

maroonmania
07-11-2022, 07:23 PM

OK then someone explain to me how they 'forced' Gurley to donate his own money? At gunpoint? Took over his bank account? I just don't see how the NCAA could forcibly take anyone's personal finances away. I mean we are talking about the NCAA here, not the IRS.

ETA: As I expected, you guys are totally off on this. The NCAA suspended Gurley unless he paid back the NIL money he earned. The NCAA had NO power to get to the money or stop Gurley from getting paid. They only had the power to prevent Gurley from playing college football. Gurley could have told the NCAA to go screw themselves and kept the money and waited for the draft if that had been his choice. I said from the very first that taking eligibility was exactly the only thing the NCAA could do but they have no power to stop an NIL payment. The courts have now apparently told the NCAA that they can't set their own eligibility rules.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2014/11/14/todd-gurley-should-have-said-no-to-ncaa-reinstatement/?sh=1adf45c833d9

FISHDAWG
07-12-2022, 07:56 AM
OK then someone explain to me how they 'forced' Gurley to donate his own money? At gunpoint? Took over his bank account? I just don't see how the NCAA could forcibly take anyone's personal finances away. I mean we are talking about the NCAA here, not the IRS.

ETA: As I expected, you guys are totally off on this. The NCAA suspended Gurley unless he paid back the NIL money he earned. The NCAA had NO power to get to the money or stop Gurley from getting paid. They only had the power to prevent Gurley from playing college football. Gurley could have told the NCAA to go screw themselves and kept the money and waited for the draft if that had been his choice. I said from the very first that taking eligibility was exactly the only thing the NCAA could do but they have no power to stop an NIL payment. The courts have now apparently told the NCAA that they can't set their own eligibility rules.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2014/11/14/todd-gurley-should-have-said-no-to-ncaa-reinstatement/?sh=1adf45c833d9

Jeeze Maroon ... nobody is implying they forced him at gunpoint to give up cash ... coercion was the tool ... to remain eligible for collegiate athletics he had to give up the money. UGA also had a receiver (Green) that year that had to pay back the price of a dinner that representatives of the Bengals had bought him

BrunswickDawg
07-12-2022, 08:36 AM
Jeeze Maroon ... nobody is implying they forced him at gunpoint to give up cash ... coercion was the tool ... to remain eligible for collegiate athletics he had to give up the money. UGA also had a receiver (Green) that year that had to pay back the price of a dinner that representatives of the Bengals had bought him

And the NCAA did that regularly with "impermissible benefits" given to recruits all the time. Many times players have had to payback lodging, game tickets, travel costs etc - under threat of losing eligibility. The tactics for enforcing NIL were pretty much the same. And that eligibility threat was real, just ask Kevin Fant.

sleepy dawg
07-12-2022, 08:56 AM
It's not a mess. There's a perceived mess and a fear of it. So far everything is still pretty much the same except for people freaking out about what will happen to college sports. The sports themselves are pretty much the same. A time might come where that's not the case, but that's just speculation.

maroonmania
07-12-2022, 10:12 PM

Did anyone even read my original post? I can't figure why anyone ever argued with me. I said players could have always been paid NIL money but it would have lost them their amateur status. It was Brunswick saying the NCAA 'forced' money to be donated and telling me I was flat wrong. NCAA didn't 'force' squat. Just told Gurley he would have to pay back the money if he wanted to be eligible. Everyone knew that.

BrunswickDawg
07-13-2022, 07:11 AM
Did anyone even read my original post? I can't figure why anyone ever argued with me. I said players could have always been paid NIL money but it would have lost them their amateur status. It was Brunswick saying the NCAA 'forced' money to be donated and telling me I was flat wrong. NCAA didn't 'force' squat. Just told Gurley he would have to pay back the money if he wanted to be eligible. Everyone knew that.

I guess we just have a different interpretation of what it means to be able to do something. In my mind, if NIL items were considered by the NCAA as impermissible benefits, and the NCAA had the power to strip you of your eligibility and your only option is to pay restitution to regain eligibility, then players didn't have the ability to take NIL money. Sure, technically they always could have - but if it gets you declared ineligible then why do it? And that is why it wasn't done. Players also have always had the ability get discounts on suits, have someone else pay for their tires, or have a coach pay their rent - it's only when they get caught that it is a problem, investigations start, NCAA investigators get laid, and schools get probation.