PDA

View Full Version : Some important NIL info and updates

Coach34
06-27-2022, 06:43 PM
Some of you have reached out to me here and in person about our NIL situation. The events of this past week and frustration of the last few months motivated me to find out what is going on. So I reached out to people that know and here is what I learned:

A) We kinda M-State'ed it up in the beginning. Instead of being proactive, getting set up, hiring someone and building an office to handle these things- we didnt do that. Kinda piecemealed it together. So it comes as no surprise to anyone we arent where we should be with it currently. We have in the last few months gotten someone that has grabbed the bull by the horns and taken this huge task on head first. We are now making some headway and getting the organization that is necessary.

B) Before long- we will have a website for people to make contributions online. You will be able to set up your own account and donate as much and as often as you wish. Annually, monthly, one-timer...whatever. Can be as big or as little as you can afford. In the meantime, there are other ways of getting your contributions where they need to go. Message me and I will help you with that info until the website is up. Or contact them directly on Twitter-

https://twitter.com/BulldogNIL?s=20&t=00_1oo0osJRjRhRKNew9TA

C) We may not have the deep pockets other Universities have- but we do have the army. We are the people's university. Give what you can. So what you cant give 10k? 100 people giving $50 here and there add up. A Thousand people giving $100 monthly or every other month or whenever- helps the cause. It adds up. We have to be smart and do what we can.

This is from me personally-Dont be that guy that gives $250 and then wants to tell people how you want it spent. Privates have to do the heavy lifting in the army- the brass (coaches and others) decide on where resources are allocated. You give 10k? Well thats a little different. That at least gets you a listen. That's always been a problem for us in the old days- too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Be like an offensive lineman- do the lifting and enjoy your team getting the success. It's ok not to be the headline.

D) This is also my opinion- decrease your Bulldog Club donation and get some (if not most) to NIL. Our facilities in the Big 3 are where they need to be to compete. Our baseball stadium is state of the art. We upgraded in basketball. Davis-Wade is a very good venue. We need players. And now- that costs money. Get that money to NIL so we can at the very worst- remain a power in baseball.

It's a new world in college sports today- we have to keep up or become Memphis. I think eventually all this leads to the Power schools creating their own league and if we want to be part of it- we cant lag too far behind.

KOdawg1
06-27-2022, 07:00 PM
Pin this to the top of the damn board.

Awesome post.

99jc
06-27-2022, 07:10 PM
Some of you have reached out to me here and in person about our NIL situation. The events of this past week and frustration of the last few months motivated me to find out what is going on. So I reached out to people that know and here is what I learned:

A) We kinda M-State'ed it up in the beginning. Instead of being proactive, getting set up, hiring someone and building an office to handle these things- we didnt do that. Kinda piecemealed it together. So it comes as no surprise to anyone we arent where we should be with it currently. We have in the last few months gotten someone that has grabbed the bull by the horns and taken this huge task on head first. We are now making some headway and getting the organization that is necessary.

B) Before long- we will have a website for people to make contributions online. You will be able to set up your own account and donate as much and as often as you wish. Annually, monthly, one-timer...whatever. Can be as big or as little as you can afford. In the meantime, there are other ways of getting your contributions where they need to go. Message me and I will help you with that info until the website is up. Or contact them directly on Twitter-

C) We may not have the deep pockets other Universities have- but we do have the army. We are the people's university. Give what you can. So what you cant give 10k? 100 people giving $50 here and there add up. A Thousand people giving $100 monthly or every other month or whenever- helps the cause. It adds up. We have to be smart and do what we can.

This is from me personally-Dont be that guy that gives $250 and then wants to tell people how you want it spent. Privates have to do the heavy lifting in the army- the brass (coaches and others) decide on where resources are allocated. You give 10k? Well thats a little different. That at least gets you a listen. That's always been a problem for us in the old days- too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Be like an offensive lineman- do the lifting and enjoy your team getting the success. It's ok not to be the headline.

D) This is also my opinion- decrease your Bulldog Club donation and get some (if not most) to NIL. Our facilities in the Big 3 are where they need to be to compete. Our baseball stadium is state of the art. We upgraded in basketball. Davis-Wade is a very good venue. We need players. And now- that costs money. Get that money to NIL so we can at the very worst- remain a power in baseball.

It's a new world in college sports today- we have to keep up or become Memphis. I think eventually all this leads to the Power schools creating their own league and if we want to be part of it- we cant lag too far behind.

i told you we have the $$$$$$$$....we have a large enough fan base to make a big showing.

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 07:21 PM
At the end of the day, we're still the poorest school with the poorest fan base. We will never overcome or even offset NIL money to the point of improvement in the conference. It really will change little. Unless NIL is regulated or eliminated, we're limited on it.

Coach34
06-27-2022, 07:32 PM
At the end of the day, we're still the poorest school with the poorest fan base. We will never overcome or even offset NIL money to the point of improvement in the conference. It really will change little. Unless NIL is regulated or eliminated, we're limited on it.

I'm still too competitive and refuse to give up- especially in baseball. I agree Football is we'll just hang on and basketball will remain spotty- but we cant let beisball go. It's the best thing at Miss State and I want that to remain until I die. Giving up is not an option so we have to rally. Can we get to 30MM like A&M for Football? Hell no. Can we get 1MM or so like LSU for beisball? Hell yeah we can- or at least close.

5,000 people giving $10/month is 50K/month and 600K per year- you dont think we can do that for beisball? **** yeah we can

BeardoMSU
06-27-2022, 07:37 PM
I'm still too competitive and refuse to give up- especially in baseball. I agree Football is will just hang on and basketball will remain spotty- but we cant let beisball go. It's the best thing at Miss State and I want that to remain until I die. Giving up is not an option so we have to rally. Can we get to 30MM like A&M for Football? Hell no. Can we get 1MM or so like LSU for beisball? Hell yeah we can- or at least close.

5,000 people giving $10/month is 50K/month and 600K per year- you dont think we can do that for beisball? **** yeah we can

Agreed.

Also, I'm happy to see your op is not harboring on the negative. Plenty of hope out there.

Good post.

jacksondawg
06-27-2022, 07:41 PM

Do you know where we currently stand on the amount of funds raised and what goal they are trying to reach this year?

Homedawg
06-27-2022, 07:41 PM

Best post ever.

KOdawg1
06-27-2022, 07:43 PM
When Charlie gets his website going, it needs to be shared on every message board and every social media platform out there.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2022, 07:46 PM
I'm still too competitive and refuse to give up- especially in baseball. I agree Football is we'll just hang on and basketball will remain spotty- but we cant let beisball go. It's the best thing at Miss State and I want that to remain until I die. Giving up is not an option so we have to rally. Can we get to 30MM like A&M for Football? Hell no. Can we get 1MM or so like LSU for beisball? Hell yeah we can- or at least close.

Agree 100%

Coach34
06-27-2022, 07:50 PM
Do you know where we currently stand on the amount of funds raised and what goal they are trying to reach this year?

No- and that really doesnt matter. We have professional people working with our staff to get funds where they will help us. We arent working NIL for holders on XP's or non-impact players. NIL is there to hold on to players we have, necessary recruits, and impact portal players. Support that

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 08:12 PM
If schools will offer $9.5MM in football, they'll offer a couple mil in baseball, at the places that care, just to pull a borderline draft guy. No matter what we do, it's impossible to compete at the money game. Doesn't matter how competitive we want to be.
We're going to be what we are. And we aren't missing on many guys anyway. We're failing to recruit some of the right guys "because they aren't State guys". That's our biggest problem. We purposely limit ourselves with our approach anyway. Do you think a "State kid" is after big money? Nope. That's why they're "State kids". It's like we're damn Stanford, recruiting guys chasing an education. Hell, wait til you see what Vandy is about to do.
We can't win the money game. And honestly, in baseball, it's far less important because anything can happen in baseball. See the best team in America this year. Sat at home after the super. The last damn team in won it all.

Coach34
06-27-2022, 08:24 PM
If schools will offer $9.5MM in football, they'll offer a couple mil in baseball, at the places that care, just to pull a borderline draft guy.

LSU got Tommy for 200K. We couldnt do that yet at this time really. We have to get organized and we can sustain in baseball. Most schools arent willing to do what we will there. Let's get the army organized and on the same page. As the old expression goes- "we have to all pull the rope". What choice do we have? Independently there is no chance

Leroy Jenkins
06-27-2022, 08:25 PM

If it were that simple aTm would win every game in every sport.

TALL DAWG
06-27-2022, 08:25 PM
If schools will offer $9.5MM in football, they'll offer a couple mil in baseball, at the places that care, just to pull a borderline draft guy. No matter what we do, it's impossible to compete at the money game. Doesn't matter how competitive we want to be.

Incorrect.

If we get 100 BIG Dawgs to give $100k annually and we get 7,500 folks to give just $500 annually it would equal $13,750,000 annually. We would be competitive at this figure when scholarships and other funds are given to players also.

The above is very attainable.

Let?s make it happen!
Go Dawgs!

Homedawg
06-27-2022, 08:26 PM
We're going to be what we are. And we aren't missing on many guys anyway. We're failing to recruit some of the right guys "because they aren't State guys". That's our biggest problem. We purposely limit ourselves with our approach anyway. Do you think a "State kid" is after big money? Nope. That's why they're "State kids". It's like we're damn Stanford, recruiting guys chasing an education. Hell, wait til you see what Vandy is about to do.
We can't win the money game. And honestly, in baseball, it's far less important because anything can happen in baseball. See the best team in America this year. Sat at home after the super. The last damn team in won it all.

It's not to be the "winner" it's to stay competitive. Keeping tyrus wheat, keeping tulu. Getting baseball guys that don't get shit in scholarship. That's a big deal. No we won't get a guy gettin a million. Correct. But not everyone needs a million either... which is sort of your point w "state" guys. Evals never have been nor ever will be perfect. Just keep working and plugging.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-27-2022, 08:50 PM
Incorrect.

If we get 100 BIG Dawgs to give $100k annually and we get 7,500 folks to give just $500 annually it would equal $13,750,000 annually. We would be competitive at this figure when scholarships and other funds are given to players also.

Let?s make it happen!
Go Dawgs!

Like 34 said, we need to direct money away from the BD club into NIL.We can use the increasing SEC network money to keep the bills being paid, and there's no point in a nice practice field if the players aren't good. You have to get talent first and foremost.

Rawdawg
06-27-2022, 08:58 PM
Asking 100 people for $100,000 a year indefinitely is attainable?

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 08:58 PM
Incorrect.

Let?s make it happen!
Go Dawgs!

We can't get that many to give to the Bulldog club over our history. And our "Big Dogs" don't compare to a big dog like at Miami. Anyone that thinks we can do that are crazy.

State82
06-27-2022, 09:01 PM
Kudos, 34. Excellent work. Everything you laid out there is spot on.

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 09:02 PM
It's not to be the "winner" it's to stay competitive. Keeping tyrus wheat, keeping tulu. Getting baseball guys that don't get shit in scholarship. That's a big deal. No we won't get a guy gettin a million. Correct. But not everyone needs a million either... which is sort of your point w "state" guys. Evals never have been nor ever will be perfect. Just keep working and plugging.

That doesn't even make sense. Those guys aren't going to command big money. Wheat isn't even a draft guy or he'd have been gone. We can get those guys anyway.
If all were going to offer is what we get now, that doesn't improve our situation. We'll be able to offer that kind of money anyway with what we expect to get.
Unless we can find some super secret loophole to funnel TV money to NIL, we will never advance. We can't even compete with a Central Florida money wise.

Coach34
06-27-2022, 09:05 PM
That doesn't even make sense. Those guys aren't going to command big money. Wheat isn't even a draft guy or he'd have been gone. We can get those guys anyway.
If all were going to offer is what we get now, that doesn't improve our situation. We'll be able to offer that kind of money anyway with what we expect to get.

Wheat is poised to be a top 3 round draft pick if not top 2

Rawdawg
06-27-2022, 09:11 PM

Wheat was gone until we paid him.

Our NIL arrangements pre Charlie were Preston Johnson reading an ad for William Wells and Will Rogers getting free BBQ at Moe?s. Frankly it was embarrassing. We?ve started getting organized under Charlie but have so much ground to make up. Instead of paying recruits we?re having to pay current players not to transfer. We?re not prepared enough to get a guy like Mosley demanding $250k.

Homedawg
06-27-2022, 09:18 PM
Asking 100 people for $100,000 a year indefinitely is attainable?

No

Homedawg
06-27-2022, 09:19 PM
Unless we can find some super secret loophole to funnel TV money to NIL, we will never advance. We can't even compete with a Central Florida money wise.

Doesnt make sense?? We kept two all sec type players for way less money than what they could have left for. So you don't want wheat and tulu? If that's the case you have lost your mind But carry on

Coach34
06-27-2022, 09:19 PM
Wheat was gone until we paid him.

Our NIL arrangements pre Charlie were Preston Johnson reading an ad for William Wells and Will Rogers getting free BBQ at Moe?s. Frankly it was embarrassing. We?ve started getting organized under Charlie but have so much ground to make up. Instead of paying recruits we?re having to pay current players not to transfer. We?re not prepared enough to get a guy like Mosley demanding $250k.

This is what our fanbase has got to understand and understand immediately. We are in the middle of the food chain. We arent the shark. Not only do we have to pay recruits and portal guys- we have to pay our own guys not to leave. Its not all of them- but it is a significant amount. You dont think other big programs want Marks? Wheat? Forbes? Tolu? Cade Smith? Hunter Hines? These guys are being offered money now to leave for the blue bloods.

This is college sports now

ScoobaDawg
06-27-2022, 09:20 PM

Cooter I have always liked you but stop Mississippian this post. This post is about change and moving forward. If you wanna keep your damn head in the sand screaming what we can't do.. Just go to a different topic.

Best post in a long time coach. I'd love to support where I can. And love to learn more about what Charlies plans are.. And what the agreement for pay is with the agreement. I've read alot about what the UT Message board has done since nil became legal and always wanted to get ED Involved like that somehow.

You have to also incentivize the donors also as you said. Instead of blindly asking for $100 blindly.. Ask for $250 and that gets you into a group with access to an hour AMA with a player sometime during the season.
Many other ideas...

Coach34
06-27-2022, 09:25 PM
Charlie is willing to talk with anyone wanting to help. We discussed having a Zoom with guys ready to participate and organize. This should happen and be the move going forward.

Pull the rope

Edited- I told him Elitedawgs would do anything possible to help. This board was formed for Miss State success. It will continue to be so- even though I dont have the final say

Goldendawg
06-27-2022, 09:41 PM
I am confused about D, decrease Bulldog Club donation & give most to NIL. Won't this be "borrowing from Peter to pay Paul"? A lot of Bulldog Club $ pays scholarships across all sports and many other costs I probably don't even know about.

Rawdawg
06-27-2022, 09:52 PM
I am confused about D, decrease Bulldog Club donation & give most to NIL. Won't this be "borrowing from Peter to pay Paul"? A lot of Bulldog Club $ pays scholarships across all sports and many other costs I probably don't even know about.

NIL pays for the player. BDC pays for their education. You have to have to player before you can send them to school.

WhiskeyPirate
06-27-2022, 10:08 PM
. This whole NIL business is going to end up with a salary cap just like MLB. That’s the only solution.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 10:28 PM

We can't offer that money because we're just starting. We have to at least try to offer our fans the opportunity to give. I tell people about the Bulldog Initiative all the time and a lot of the time they're like "Gee I didn't know about that. I'd like to give to that. Man I wish they had a web site (they will) because I don't use venmo."

But damn- give the people who were willing to spend 60 million dollars to build a baseball stadium the equivalent of the best minor league stadiums in the country a chance before writing them off.

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 10:35 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I'm saying we're pissing in the wind if certain schools want to blow our doors off in the NIL world. Not a thing we can do about that. Hell, our baseball is already in a good spot. Football never will be. Neither will basketball. The reality of it is that we just can't do it like some expect or want. And all the NIL isn't going to go to baseball. It's going to get split up. That's a bigger issue for us than those with more money.
And if you look right now, I think only one SEC school has more transfers in baseball than us unless something changed I missed. If we land the four were hard on, we're set. I'd love to be able to grab a couple others too but not sure that's an option with numbers.

Coach34
06-27-2022, 10:47 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. I'm saying we're pissing in the wind if certain schools want to blow our doors off in the NIL world. Not a thing we can do about that. Hell, our baseball is already in a good spot. Football never will be. Neither will basketball. The reality of it is that we just can't do it like some expect or want. And all the NIL isn't going to go to baseball. It's going to get split up. That's a bigger issue for us than those with more money.
And if you look right now, I think only one SEC school has more transfers in baseball than us unless something changed I missed. If we land the four were hard on, we're set. I'd love to be able to grab a couple others too but not sure that's an option with numbers.

You give 10k? You can earmark for baseball
You give $10/month? It’s to the general fund

Pretty simple concept

TheLostDawg
06-27-2022, 11:00 PM
NIL pays for the player. BDC pays for their education. You have to have to player before you can send them to school.

Also the bdc is going to get their share from required donations from ticket shares. Can give the all other to NIL and hopefully benefit from it though signed whatever, etc

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 11:02 PM

The thing about SEC baseball is this. Just like any other SEC sports you're going to have schools that care more about certain sports- Alabama with football, Kentucky with basketball, MSU with baseball. I think any team in the SEC outside of maybe Kentucky has a realistic chance at winning a National Title. Let's be honest- a SEC team with a losing conference record just won it that has one of the worst baseball histories and smallest footprints in the league. The portal has killed the PAC 12 as their best players are coming to the SEC and the SEC just absorbed two of the better programs out of the Big 12 including their best baseball program historically with the most resources in Texas. All the ACC has is Florida State and Miami- maaaayyybeeee North Carolina. So yeah- it's going to be competitive. But at the same time look at Tennessee- they absolutely maxed out on attendance this year during the Super Regional with a loaded team that was their best in history and I doubt that crowd would have cracked our top 50. Baseball is never going to overtake football at Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, and probably even Texas A&M. I know that because Florida and Georgia have both won titles and they still draw jack squat. Heck- I kind of doubt that baseball will overtake football even at Ole Miss. Vandy has only been good because of their endowment. It sure isn't because of fan support. And that's about to end with the scholarship changes in about a month. And sure you have Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas, Ole Miss, and probably at some point again South Carolina that care about baseball more than others do too.

As far as "anything can happen in baseball"- that's true but there is a common denominator and that's having really good pitching. If we can get to the point where we have a Bednar and Small going 1-2 like Vanderbilt did last year and Tennessee did this year then we'll have a good chance to go deep into the postseason. Especially with a coach who has shown that he can push the right buttons with the right players. And sure we'll have to pay for it.

But the thing is you have to understand that baseball players aren't like basketball players trying to get the most money possible. They're trying to get to MLB so that they can hopefully get a big payday when their first big free agent contract comes up. A lot of kids in Mississippi were like me- yeah I wanted to play for the Cardinals growing up first but I also wanted to go to MSU and be a part of our program as well. Baseball players know that they have a higher chance of making MLB if they play college baseball. And most of them want to play in the SEC. Now yeah- they may have to go to USM and develop a little bit first. But if that happens then they can get into the portal and come to MSU and then go pro.

So my point in saying all of that is for baseball players in the portal the money isn't super crazy high like it is for football or basketball. At least at this time. I'm just talking about solely in the portal. 200-225K is top end for the most coveted players. We can afford that. Especially for a player that's likely to be here for a year.

Then you have our returning guys. A guy like Houston Harding might get 125K to sign with the Angels after his junior year. Well if we offer him 75K in NIL to come back for his senior year he'll end up making money and getting a degree. Because he'll still get the minimum after his senior year. So he made money by coming back to school. Those returning senior players can be the difference between a championship and not getting one- see Tanner Allen, Tim Elko, and whoever LSU used to get to come back for their senior year during the Bertman era. And then with more scholarships you're going to have fewer players needing the money to pay off student loans.

The recruits are a little trickier. We're still not going to be able to compete with MLB for first round picks. Someone that maybe would have been a third round pick in the past? Maybe. Someone that would have been a fifth round pick? Yes. In time will we be able to get potential first round picks to school? Who knows? That is going to cost millions and we're probably years from that. We'll see how it goes over time.

At the end of the day I really believe that once we get this going we're going to be able to be very competitive with the rest of the SEC and the nation as well. But it's a matter of getting it going. And then up to the coaches to identify and bring in those players to MSU.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 11:03 PM
Also the bdc is going to get their share from required donations from ticket shares. Can give the all other to NIL and hopefully benefit from it though signed whatever, etc

I don't believe the Bulldog Club can do that.

StarkVegasSteve
06-27-2022, 11:07 PM
I don't believe the Bulldog Club can do that.

You literally have to make a bulldog club donation per seat when you buy season tickets. So yea they can do that and they have been for years.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 11:08 PM

We have three players from the portal right now. LSU who everyone is freaking out about has four- one from Creighton. We have more commits from the portal right now than Arkansas and Tennessee combined.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 11:09 PM
You literally have to make a bulldog club donation per seat when you buy season tickets. So yea they can do that and they have been for years.

That's different. I can double check with Charlie but I think it's because the Bulldog Club is through MSU and MSU can't give money to NIL.

That's why NIL is through "collectives".

And honestly if it was allowed and maybe I'm wrong- the easy thing to do would be to take NIL out of our Bulldog Club donations.

Coach34
06-27-2022, 11:20 PM
That's different. I can double check with Charlie but I think it's because the Bulldog Club is through MSU and MSU can't give money to NIL.

And honestly if it was allowed and maybe I'm wrong- the easy thing to do would be to take NIL out of our Bulldog Club donations.

NIL and BC are separate entities and can’t be connected in any way. People have to divide their donations

BHildreth3
06-27-2022, 11:47 PM

Yo, I have 1,000,000,000,000 dollars. Is that enough? HA! Seriously, let's go. This isn't complicated. Everyone needs to do what they can and it starts with everyone on this board.

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/money-pile-bundles-of-100-usd-notes-picture-id492595743

BHildreth3
06-27-2022, 11:51 PM
This is what our fanbase has got to understand and understand immediately. We are in the middle of the food chain. We arent the shark. Not only do we have to pay recruits and portal guys- we have to pay our own guys not to leave. Its not all of them- but it is a significant amount. You don't think other big programs want Marks? Wheat? Forbes? Tolu? Cade Smith? Hunter Hines? These guys are being offered money now to leave for the blue bloods.

Yes, and other programs will use US to help THEM recruit diamonds in the rough, or guys that may/may not produce in the SEC. Just watch. The schools will always watch MSU to see who they can pull away from us. It's time we start being proactive and doing more. Quit sitting back and being lazy! Let's move forward.

Cooterpoot
06-28-2022, 07:48 AM
I'm sorry but big programs aren't lining up for many of our guys. In baseball, it's almost a non-issue completely. Forbes or someone, maybe but we probably don't have 3 a year anyone would even consider. Wheat and Marks ain't them. I'll wait til it actually happens, because it's not happening much at all so far, before claiming it's even much of an issue. And I'll be honest, we start throwing millions at kids, I'm done with it all anyway.

StarkVegasSteve
06-28-2022, 07:49 AM

Unless I misunderstood what he was saying I think the OP was saying that Bulldog Club will get their money anyways from seat donations across the sport and folks need to consider whatever extra they were giving to the BDC to give it to the Bulldog Collective

StarkVegasSteve
06-28-2022, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry but big programs aren't lining up for many of our guys. In baseball, it's almost a non-issue completely. Forbes or someone, maybe but we probably don't have 3-5 a year. I'll wait til iit actually happens before claiming it's even much of an issue.

We had P5 programs try to contact athletes in all of the Big 3 sports. A couple of the offers were big and they decided to stick with us.

Cooterpoot
06-28-2022, 07:54 AM
We had P5 programs try to contact athletes in all of the Big 3 sports. A couple of the offers were big and they decided to stick with us.

How many left? Not a damn one. Most of our guys would be depth at best for an elite in football. They aren't leaving for that. Basketball will be the worst probably. Baseball won't happen unless you've got a kid with crazy parents or a problem here.
End of the day, if an Elite wants a kid, we will never be able to outbid them. If it comes down to nothing but money, we will still lose them. Especially if it's a shot at a ring.

MafiaDawg
06-28-2022, 10:00 AM
Please post the verified venmo link ASAP. Get this ball rolling.

MafiaDawg
06-28-2022, 11:31 AM
If you want to donate to the Bulldog initiative, you can Venmo @TheBulldogInitiative.

If you have questions you can reach out to Charlie at 662 769 9031 or cwinfield@bulldog.ms.

I believe you can also mail checks to PO Box 1653 | Starkville, MS 39760.

This was copied from another board.

AROB44
06-28-2022, 11:47 AM
Unless I misunderstood what he was saying I think the OP was saying that Bulldog Club will get their money anyways from seat donations across the sport and folks need to consider whatever extra they were giving to the BDC to give it to the Bulldog Collective

I've raised this question before....Both football and basketeball have "seat license" fees that go to the BDC. I have wondered just how much this raises but have been unable to get an estimae. Got to be a pretty good amount.

DownwardDawg
06-28-2022, 12:08 PM
. This whole NIL business is going to end up with a salary cap just like MLB. That?s the only solution.

Absolutely. College sports are already going down the shitter fast. The only way to save it is put a hard cap on all NIL deals and it needs to happen fast.

DownwardDawg
06-28-2022, 12:10 PM
Who is Charlie?

MafiaDawg
06-28-2022, 12:51 PM
Winfield. He?s the guy heading it all up.

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 01:40 PM
Is the Bulldog Initiative a nonprofit entity?

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 01:45 PM
Seemingly the argument has been that folks have been making money off these kids NILs without paying them.

And yet it seems we as fans are being asked to pick up the expense associated with those revenues?

Coach34
06-28-2022, 03:00 PM
Seemingly the argument has been that folks have been making money off these kids NILs without paying them.

And yet it seems we as fans are being asked to pick up the expense associated with those revenues?

The only people making the money are the players. Our NIL guys are working for free

Activated Alpha
06-28-2022, 03:23 PM
I don't watch a whole bunch of professional sports, but what is keeping teams and owners from throwing cash under the table at free agents and trying to stay under the salary cap? Now I might be totally thinking about this the wrong way

Commercecomet24
06-28-2022, 03:57 PM
The only people making the money are the players. Our NIL guys are working for free

I could see it being just the opposite, the players getting paid without actually doing anything(which i'm sure they're doing the bare minimum to make this all by the rules.)

TheLostDawg
06-28-2022, 04:04 PM

Yes. Thanks

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2022, 04:48 PM
This is what our fanbase has got to understand and understand immediately. We are in the middle of the food chain. We arent the shark. Not only do we have to pay recruits and portal guys- we have to pay our own guys not to leave. Its not all of them- but it is a significant amount. You dont think other big programs want Marks? Wheat? Forbes? Tolu? Cade Smith? Hunter Hines? These guys are being offered money now to leave for the blue bloods.

Then I am just about done with it

Goldendawg
06-28-2022, 04:52 PM
Truth. This will kill FB attendance if teams like us are just playing for the SEC check. Nothing but tv programming for the networks and warmup games for the blue bloods before the playoffs. Gene Simmons has said "Rock id Dead". College sports as we knew it is rapidly headed for life support. Attendance in person, no longer needed. See USFL. 2022. We still have 8 season tickets, used to be 12. Six family members nearly bailed for 2022. Been through much more bad than good in the last 55 years of being there. Don't like where this is seems to be heading. Even NFL has salary cap. Hail State!

LC Dawg
06-28-2022, 05:30 PM
If Bulldog Club donations decrease ticket prices and seat licenses will increase. So you redirect your Bulldog Club donations to NIL and you end up paying more money to attend games.
I have no issue if this is the way it works out because I love Mississippi State and want the university to be successful in everything it does but I foresee more live music and traveling and less sporting events in my future.
NASCAR priced me out in the 90s and I figured collegiate athletics would follow at some point.

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 07:30 PM

The Initiative folks are not the ones who have been making the money off the players NILs all these years. The whole argument that got us here is players were miffed that EVERYONE ELSE was making money off their NILs BUT them.

And us fans sure haven’t been getting any dividend checks.

IMissJack
06-28-2022, 07:48 PM
34 can you opine as to why we were not organized on NIL, when we knew this was coming like everyone else? I realize this is different than Cohen?s normal over site, but couldn?t he have asked someone to run it or express the need for it?

Coach34
06-28-2022, 07:50 PM
The Initiative folks are not the ones who have been making the money off the players NILs all these years. The whole argument that got us here is players were miffed that EVERYONE ELSE was making money off their NILs BUT them.

And us fans sure haven’t been getting any dividend checks.

NIL just started so there is no "all these years".
The players are being paid NOW.

I'm not understanding your point

This concept is simple- athletes have to be paid now. It has to be done by fans and it has to be done by businesses who use it for advertising. Either we get on board or our programs will fade into Bolivian.

Coach34
06-28-2022, 07:56 PM
34 can you opine as to why we were not organized on NIL, when we knew this was coming like everyone else? I realize this is different than Cohen?s normal over site, but couldn?t he have asked someone to run it or express the need for it?

I could try and sugar coat it but basically we tried to halfass it in the beginning. It appears our view of NIL was a necessary evil when other schools like A&M looked at it as an opportunity. We quickly began to figure out other schools are serious about this shit and we better start getting there ourselves. Us losing the guy to Mizzou was yet another wake-up call about where we are vs other schools.

Coach34
06-28-2022, 07:59 PM
If Bulldog Club donations decrease ticket prices and seat licenses will increase. So you redirect your Bulldog Club donations to NIL and you end up paying more money to attend games.

If we dont have players- nobody is going to buy tickets. This is a new age and the BC is going to have to understand where we are in this.

And the businesses in Sville better understand where we are in this. Without players- we will keep being thrown into the 11am time slot for football and money spent in Sville will continue to drop. They already know the difference the impact of 6pm vs 11am makes.

KOdawg1
06-28-2022, 07:59 PM
I could try and sugar coat it but basically we tried to halfass it in the beginning. It appears our view of NIL was a necessary evil when other schools like A&M looked at it as an opportunity. We quickly began to figure out other schools are serious about this shit and we better start getting there ourselves. Us losing the guy to Mizzou was yet another wake-up call about where we are vs other schools.
I got blasted for saying we would "Mississippi State" it up when NIL first was introduced. We've always been the last to change and adapt. I was hoping we'd take charge for once. Hoping it's not too late.

Rawdawg
06-28-2022, 08:00 PM

This concept is simple- athletes have to be paid now. It has to be done by fans and it has to be done by businesses who use it for advertising. Either we get on board or our programs will fade into Bolivian.

I think he?s asking why it took so long to form a collective or initiative. In my opinion our infant ?organization? was focused on educating student athletes on how to be responsible and how to safely navigate NIL within the framework of the NCAA. While on the surface this is great and looks good in the headlines, however in the real world schools like Florida with the Gator Collective came out utilizing NIL to what we see it is now: paying players and recruits. For some inexplicable reason we thought that players wouldn?t be getting paid real sums of money across the country. We were naive in thinking it wasn?t easy for player A to get a large sum from a group funneling money into one fund - which at the time we did not have.

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 08:00 PM

Well, I’ll agree your perspective is simplistic. The broader understanding will come to roost eventually. College sports will not survive.

Coach34
06-28-2022, 08:05 PM
Well, I’ll agree your perspective is simplistic. The broader understanding will come to roost eventually. College sports will not survive.

I'm just talking about where we are today. What you are talking about is fact and something has to change eventually. But until it does? This is where we are

Coach34
06-28-2022, 08:10 PM
I think he?s asking why it took so long to form a collective or initiative. In my opinion our infant ?organization? was focused on educating student athletes on how to be responsible and how to safely navigate NIL within the framework of the NCAA. While on the surface this is great and looks good in the headlines, however in the real world schools like Florida with the Gator Collective came out utilizing NIL to what we see it is now: paying players and recruits. For some inexplicable reason we thought that players wouldn?t be getting paid real sums of money across the country. We were naive in thinking it wasn?t easy for player A to get a large sum from a group funneling money into one fund - which at the time we did not have.

Gotcha. And you are most likely correct

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 08:12 PM
I'm just talking about where we are today. What you are talking about is fact and something has to change eventually. But until it does? This is where we are

You do see. It’s a hard pill to swallow that fans are being asked to keep it on life support until hopefully things do change. And yes this is unfortunately where we are. It sucks.

Coach34
06-28-2022, 08:16 PM
You do see. It’s a hard pill to swallow that fans are being asked to keep it on life support until hopefully things do change. And yes this is unfortunately where we are. It sucks.

We have to try to win 8 in football. There is no chance of us winning anything anymore
We have to focus on 3-4 quality guys in bball
Baseball takes 1MM to stay in the top 10- we can do that

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 08:30 PM

Ask yourself this Raw. What entities were making all the money the players wanted a piece of? Hint: it wasn’t the fan base.

IMissJack
06-28-2022, 08:36 PM

One more reason for me to doubt our leadership.

Rawdawg
06-28-2022, 08:44 PM
Ask yourself this Raw. What entities were making all the money the players wanted a piece of? Hint: it wasn’t the fan base.

Obviously, but that?s irrelevant because the school can not pay players out of its funds so you have to have a brokered third party do it which is the Bulldog Initiative. Our problem is we?re months behind everyone else.

BrunswickDawg
06-28-2022, 08:48 PM

I think the law the MS Legislature passed didn't help us either - as we tend to over correct and over enforce on ourselves - we weren't going to bend the "school can't be involved" law. Meanwhile, most other schools don't have that handicap, and OM doesn't follow rules anyway so they didn't GAF and we fell behind.

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 09:05 PM
Obviously, but that?s irrelevant because the school can not pay players out of its funds so you have to have a brokered third party do it which is the Bulldog Initiative. Our problem is we?re months behind everyone else.

We will see if the fan base thinks it’s irrelevant. Think fans rather will want this shit model changed and quick. And not sure our leadership being reluctant to wade into this cluster is something less than admirable.

Coach34
06-28-2022, 09:16 PM
We will see if the fan base thinks it?s irrelevant. Think fans rather will want this shit model changed and quick. And not sure our leadership being reluctant to wade into this cluster is something less than admirable.

What our fanbase thinks is really irrelevant. It what the top college teams think. Either we compete now with money or we die as a sports program. We have no choice. If you are ready to give up on college sports? So be it. Other schools are not and are ramping up money to get better

Rawdawg
06-28-2022, 09:18 PM
We will see if the fan base thinks it’s irrelevant. Think fans rather will want this shit model changed and quick. And not sure our leadership being reluctant to wade into this cluster is something less than admirable.

I think fans and schools everywhere want it regulated but NIL in its current format is a shitshow. And personally I think it?ll get fixed but I don?t see it happening soon or in a timely fashion.

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2022, 09:28 PM
What our fanbase thinks is really irrelevant. It what the top college teams think. Either we compete now with money or we die as a sports program. We have no choice. If you are ready to give up on college sports? So be it. Other schools are not and are ramping up money to get better

LOL! Charlie paying you to wield a sword Coach! Just a suggestion; you may not want to discount what the fans think when you’re soliciting their hard earned money. Fans do have a choice. And to be clear, I will rail about this bag of shit with unfettered idealism until it’s fixed. At the same time, I also will find my way to my Venmo app with my paltry sum to try and help keep us afloat. So easy Tiger, we’re on the same team. But the truth remains the same.

Coach34
06-29-2022, 06:59 AM
LOL! Charlie paying you to wield a sword Coach! Just a suggestion; you may not want to discount what the fans think when you’re soliciting their hard earned money. Fans do have a choice. And to be clear, I will rail about this bag of shit with unfettered idealism until it’s fixed. At the same time, I also will find my way to my Venmo app with my paltry sum to try and help keep us afloat. So easy Tiger, we’re on the same team. But the truth remains the same.

No- I'm just pointing out that college sports has taken this turn whether we like it or not. I completely understand it losing some fans over this. But whether or not Joe Bulldog likes it or not- this is college sports in 2022. Either we work to stay relevant or we just become La Tech

confucius say
06-29-2022, 03:35 PM
Wheat is poised to be a top 3 round draft pick if not top 2

And I know he and Marks had portal offers. Our coaches had to fight to keep them. At least Marks called his coaches and let them know what was going on.

confucius say
06-29-2022, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry but big programs aren't lining up for many of our guys. In baseball, it's almost a non-issue completely. Forbes or someone, maybe but we probably don't have 3 a year anyone would even consider. Wheat and Marks ain't them. I'll wait til it actually happens, because it's not happening much at all so far, before claiming it's even much of an issue. And I'll be honest, we start throwing millions at kids, I'm done with it all anyway.

Marks had offers. Was touch and go

Coach34
06-29-2022, 07:30 PM
Marks had offers. Was touch and go

Our fans dont understand that it is the Wild West now. Our best guys are being contacted and offered to go to other schools. Marks, Wheat, Tolu was offered over 200K by LSU basketball, and baseball guys as well. If you dont think some teams have checked the temp of Hines and a few others you are oblivious to college sports in 2022.

WSOPdawg
06-29-2022, 07:50 PM
One more reason for me to doubt our leadership.

I'm with you, IMJ. The days of a former coach becoming the AD (ie, Bertman at LSU, Tanner at SoCarolina) has proven to not be the wisest business decision. I can argue that having Greg Byrne followed by the cheerleader Scott Stricklin were some of our best athletic years and successes. These two were business-savvy, marketing-focused individuals that were able to resonate and appeal to all facets of the MSU family. As for JC, meh, not so much and I'm ready for him to move on fwiw. I also feel the same way with regards to Keenum.

EdwardDrayton
06-29-2022, 09:08 PM
Do we think NIL money will give athletes significant pause about leaving early to turn pro? Are the schools tracking who has deals and how much they’re worth? And is that FOIA information?

Lots of questions surrounding all of this.

Coach34
06-29-2022, 09:31 PM
Do we think NIL money will give athletes significant pause about leaving early to turn pro? Are the schools tracking who has deals and how much they’re worth? And is that FOIA information?

Lots of questions surrounding all of this.

Yes the school knows who is getting what. The Coaches are working with NIL to try and secure players. Of course the AD is involved. It’s a n?w world

Leeshouldveflanked
06-29-2022, 09:33 PM
I'm with you, IMJ. The days of a former coach becoming the AD (ie, Bertman at LSU, Tanner at SoCarolina) has proven to not be the wisest business decision. I can argue that having Greg Byrne followed by the cheerleader Scott Stricklin were some of our best athletic years and successes. These two were business-savvy, marketing-focused individuals that were able to resonate and appeal to all facets of the MSU family. As for JC, meh, not so much and I'm ready for him to move on fwiw. I also feel the same way with regards to Keenum.
Cohen has been in over his head from the beginning. Keenum is just a empty chair bureaucrat. We are a day late and many dollars short when it comes to the NIL game.

Rawdawg
06-29-2022, 10:08 PM
Yes the school knows who is getting what. The Coaches are working with NIL to try and secure players. Of course the AD is involved. It’s a n?w world

Ive spoken with some in the administration side of recruiting and literally every recruit brings up NIL and what they?ve been offered somewhere else.

WSOPdawg
06-30-2022, 11:57 AM
Cohen has been in over his head from the beginning. Keenum is just a empty chair bureaucrat. We are a day late and many dollars short when it comes to the NIL game.

100% agree.

Coach34
06-30-2022, 03:35 PM
https://twitter.com/sportsondirectv/status/1541528167671791621?s=21

Just more evidence of where college sports are today

confucius say
06-30-2022, 10:03 PM
Our fans dont understand that it is the Wild West now. Our best guys are being contacted and offered to go to other schools. Marks, Wheat, Tolu was offered over 200K by LSU basketball, and baseball guys as well. If you dont think some teams have checked the temp of Hines and a few others you are oblivious to college sports in 2022.

Correct

ShotgunDawg
06-30-2022, 10:39 PM

This is correct & it's pure Mississippi that people can't understand it.

This is the reality &, unless the fans & Starkville businesses participate, we won't have players & support will die. Also those Starkville businesses will go out of business.

Like most things Mississippi, people will eventually get on board but they'll have to learn the hard way. When "Starkville business X" gets pissed & starts asking why football attendance is so low & they can't make any money, those businesses will start to pony up.

The lack of foresight by our fan base & school is just embarrassing time & time again

FISHDAWG
07-01-2022, 07:44 AM
https://twitter.com/sportsondirectv/status/1541528167671791621?s=21

Just more evidence of where college sports are today

that's incredibly depressing for me ... and there's no stopping it now and I don't expect to ever see a cap on NIL .... transfers maybe, but never on NIL

Kylesandi338
07-01-2022, 08:15 AM
I will be willing to bet 98 % of teams are bitching about being behind the 8 ball on the NIL deal. We aren't alone and the sky isnt falling! We are still Ms. state and never be a powerhouse recruiter. But we are in the SEC and we will hold our own in the top 25 like always when all of this is figured out.