PDA

View Full Version : Next Season

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2022, 04:51 PM
Lemonis is on the clock. Now its not get to the tournament, its host and do damage.

ImissCityBagel
06-26-2022, 04:55 PM
We need pitchers. Bad.

msstate7
06-26-2022, 04:59 PM
We'll be improved, but OM will be much better

StarkVegasSteve
We need pitchers. Bad.

And if he fails to we get to fire him and go find someone who can.

msugolf
Lemonis will not be the coach in 2024

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-26-2022, 05:00 PM
We need pitchers. Bad.

Hopefully Lemonhead is getting them

BankerDog
06-26-2022, 05:04 PM
Lemonis and Geaut and Fox need to stop falling in love with spin rates and exit velos and start evaluating better. Their misses have been big.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 05:05 PM

Om loses a lot off this team, they were an old team this year so we'll see.

msstate7
06-26-2022, 05:07 PM
Om loses a lot off this team, they were an old team this year so we'll see.

Well having an AA SS and Friday night guy is a great starting point. Who are our bedrocks? Hines looks great, but I would prefer a position like SS

BayouDawg
06-26-2022, 05:08 PM
It has been proven that Lemo can coach a very talented roster to a championship. Now we get to find out if he can build a championship roster. I think he can.

BayouDawg
06-26-2022, 05:10 PM
Well having an AA SS and Friday night guy is a great starting point. Who are our bedrocks? Hines looks great, but I would prefer a position like SS

Gonzo is draft eligible isnt he? Seems they were talking about him likely being the first SS taken in the draft on the broadcast today.

Catfish
06-26-2022, 05:10 PM
It has been proven that Lemo can coach a very talented roster to a championship. Now we get to find out if he can build a championship roster. I think he can.

Agreed

Cooterpoot
06-26-2022, 05:11 PM
OM loses all their big hitters and a couple pen guys. They won't hit it as well, but their pitching should be good.
Us? Well, if we don't get some pitching and have some hitters step up, we're going to be pretty bad and you'll see Lemonis cut loose the staff. This staff has not done a great job recruiting players or developing pitching.

BeardoMSU
06-26-2022, 05:11 PM

Mother of God. Chill the **** out.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 05:12 PM

He built the roster at Louisville and our next classes are filled with dang good players and this years signing class pretty dang good too. Let's see how it goes.

msstate7
06-26-2022, 05:12 PM
Gonzo is draft eligible isnt he? Seems they were talking about him likely being the first SS taken in the draft on the broadcast today.

No, 2023

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2022, 05:16 PM
He built the roster at Louisville and our next classes are filled with dang good players and this years signing class pretty dang good too. Let's see how it goes.

Easy to build a roster at Louisville when you are one of the 2 to 3 teams in your conference to care about baseball.

BayouDawg
06-26-2022, 05:20 PM
Lemonis and Geaut and Fox need to stop falling in love with spin rates and exit velos and start evaluating better. Their misses have been big.

This is the biggest complaint I have. Spreadsheet baseball.

BayouDawg
06-26-2022, 05:21 PM
No, 2023
Well crap

msstate7
06-26-2022, 05:25 PM
Well crap

I hate their whole team, almost... I really like Gonzalez, and I wish somehow he could be a brave. No way that happens though

EdwardDrayton
06-26-2022, 05:27 PM

Hard to think we could be worse.

EdwardDrayton
06-26-2022, 05:29 PM

^^^^^^^

msugolf
06-26-2022, 05:30 PM
Mother of God. Chill the **** out.

Haha Im quite chill. And didnt say it out of response from today.

Dawgface
06-26-2022, 05:32 PM

I haven't kept up but how is the portal going in bringing in players?

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 05:32 PM
Easy to build a roster at Louisville when you are one of the 2 to 3 teams in your conference to care about baseball.

He recruited elite players to Louisville from all over the country has nothing to do with the conference. He's recruiting top 10 classes here. I get that you don't like him or the staff and I know everyone's sore om won but let's just see what happens in the coming year. I'm sure if we suck again next year changes will be made to staff but we'll just have to wait and see.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2022, 05:33 PM

Jesus dude

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 05:35 PM

Well we've got a Friday night starter and Hines and Clark as at least a starting point too, and let's see who comes back because if we get several back who could we've got a solid lineup. Arms will be key next year

ImissCityBagel
06-26-2022, 05:35 PM
What did Canni do differently to recruit so well when he was here?

Todd4State
06-26-2022, 05:42 PM
He recruited elite players to Louisville from all over the country has nothing to do with the conference. He's recruiting top 10 classes here. I get that you don't like him or the staff and I know everyone's sore om won but let's just see what happens in the coming year. I'm sure if we suck again next year changes will be made to staff but we'll just have to wait and see.

Here's my problem with our staff right now. I don't think Foxhall is the answer and we can and should do better than him. So, why not cut him loose? And here I go answering my own question- because we won a National Championship with him and he deserves to have a chance to fix it. So, I get it but I also don't think it's the best or right thing for MSU.

Cann recruited a lot of the players last year AND this year.

He had a lot of MLB and scouting connections which allowed him to evaluate the best players we could get through the MLB draft. In other words it was less of a guessing game for us.

We need someone on staff with those kinds of connections again.

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2022, 05:57 PM

Energetic personality, went out and marketed our program every chance he got, played at the highest level so he knew what it took to get there. That is just a few, there are obviously tons more.

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2022, 05:59 PM

I am not trying to be too pessimistic but who has he recruited here(his recruits not Cann) that have panned out. It seems like most every class is only Cann guys. So who has he actually recruited, outside of Bednar, that got playing time.

R2Dawg
06-26-2022, 06:14 PM

Better? How can you be better than NC? They will not be better, they will lose a lot.

msstate7
06-26-2022, 06:25 PM
Better? How can you be better than NC? They will not be better, they will lose a lot.

Better than us, not better than 2022 rebels

Todd4State
06-26-2022, 06:29 PM
I am not trying to be too pessimistic but who has he recruited here(his recruits not Cann) that have panned out. It seems like most every class is only Cann guys. So who has he actually recruited, outside of Bednar, that got playing time.

Hunter Hines.

That's the thing though. He hasn't really had time to get his players in yet. So unless we're counting JUCO's, transfers and a few others that's all we really have to go off of at this point.

Coach34
06-26-2022, 06:48 PM
Meanwhile the portal is still crickets for us...

Goldendawg
06-26-2022, 06:58 PM
OM loses all their big hitters and a couple pen guys. They won't hit it as well, but their pitching should be good.
Us? Well, if we don't get some pitching and have some hitters step up, we're going to be pretty bad and you'll see Lemonis cut loose the staff. This staff has not done a great job recruiting players or developing pitching.

Not much stepping up past year. Better have some impact freshmen or portal sensations ( and more than one as in last two years).

Goldendawg
06-26-2022, 07:05 PM
Well we've got a Friday night starter and Hines and Clark as at least a starting point too, and let's see who comes back because if we get several back who could we've got a solid lineup. Arms will be key next year

Always respect and enjoy your insight, but if several do return that didn't step up this past year, can it happen in 2023? Looks like a big rebuild and need alpha dogs big time. Any injured pitchers be back or still draft bound?

Schultzy
06-26-2022, 07:35 PM

That lineup was not very talented and we way over achieved last year. We had two alpha's and a bunch of rag tags.

Our ace went south & had a few guys step up & the young guys got some clutch hits. That was the 15th best MSU team talent wise Ive seen, IF that.

State82
06-26-2022, 07:45 PM
Meanwhile the portal is still crickets for us...

And herein lies a big issue.

chef dixon
06-26-2022, 07:48 PM
And OU had a losing record last year so who the hell knows. It's now football season. We can worry about baseball later.

BulldogBear
06-26-2022, 07:54 PM
This is the biggest complaint I have. Spreadsheet baseball.

Agreed. Spreadsheet baseball is like communism. It looks like a good idea on paper, but in the real world at best it doesn't work out and at worst is an absolute disaster.

Cooterpoot
06-26-2022, 08:19 PM
Not much stepping up past year. Better have some impact freshmen or portal sensations ( and more than one as in last two years).

Downs, Hines, Clark, & Ledbetter is the core. Maybe we get someone back but we'll see. I dont see a lights out Friday pitcher on the roster but that can change. Pen will be better but need arms. Draft needs to swing our way because we are doing shit til then, and that's too late.

BayouDawg
06-26-2022, 08:28 PM
That lineup was not very talented and we way over achieved last year. We had two alpha's and a bunch of rag tags.

Our ace went south & had a few guys step up & the young guys got some clutch hits. That was the 15th best MSU team talent wise Ive seen, IF that.

I agree it wasnt the most talented team we have had. But it had enough pieces and Lemo pushed the right buttons more times than not to get us in position. This year was an absolute train wreck and hopefully its the outlier

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2022, 08:34 PM
Ok I have had my time to moan, b****, and 17 complain.

Lets get this s*** fixed. And we have the ability to with NIL. If you got the extra money give it to The Bulldog Initiative. Whatever you are giving to the bulldog club outside of ticket donation requirement consider giving it to NIL. A&M showed everyone that transfers can turn things around for a team. And to get those transfers we have to step up our NIL buy in. It is good right now, but it has to be better to get back to Omaha

Coach34
06-26-2022, 08:52 PM
We may not have the dominant Friday guy- but Cade should be a solid Friday guy and better than what we have trotted out there the last 2 years

Coach34
06-26-2022, 08:56 PM
We need to Jack to figure it out by the Spring. He is crucial

KOdawg1
06-26-2022, 08:57 PM
The silence from the portal on our end is starting to become deafening.

We need dudes.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 09:13 PM
We may not have the dominant Friday guy- but Cade should be a solid Friday guy and better than what we have trotted out there the last 2 years

Cade is solid and he made strides this year and got better if he continues that development he'll be a heckuva pitcher in 2023

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2022, 09:14 PM
We need to Jack to figure it out by the Spring. He is crucial

Jack Who? Jack Walker is in the transfer portal unless he pulled his name out.

Coach34
06-26-2022, 09:26 PM
Jack Who? Jack Walker is in the transfer portal unless he pulled his name out.

Jackson Fristoe

schddog72
06-26-2022, 09:27 PM

I beg to disagree, to wit:

- Clemson - They care - a LOT!! Just changed coaches have have a lot of $$ to invest. They have been a power for many years.
- North Carolina - Hosted a Super this year and have been seen in the WS over the years.
- NC State - Very good program; made the WS last year and possibly would have won it if not for Covid.
- Va. Tech - Hosted a Super this year.
- Virginia - Won it all in 2015 or 2016; annually host regionals or Supers.
- Miami - Hosted a Super this year; great resume for many years.
- Florida State - Just hired ND's coach; regular WS participant over the years.
- Louisville - Already mentioned.

I believe this is more than "2 or 3". Thank you.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 09:31 PM

- Clemson - They care - a LOT!! Just changed coaches have have a lot of $$ to invest. They have been a power for many years.
- North Carolina - Hosted a Super this year and have been seen in the WS over the years.
- NC State - Very good program; made the WS last year and possibly would have won it if not for Covid.

Definitely the ACC has always been competitive in baseball, and the programs you mentioned are top notch baseball programs

schddog72
06-26-2022, 09:39 PM

Oh, and BTW - I forgot to mention Notre Dame!! They play baseball in the ACC.

Homedawg
06-26-2022, 10:10 PM

Ole miss loses almost its entire lineup. They won't be better. You need to jump now

Homedawg
06-26-2022, 10:11 PM

People say the dumbest crap ever. But I'll bet you whatevr you want name then amount he will be .. go

Homedawg
06-26-2022, 10:12 PM

W no sat guy. No Sunday guy and one guy out of the pen? Look Gonzalo's a stud, but damn

Homedawg
06-26-2022, 10:14 PM
Haha Im quite chill. And didnt say it out of response from today.

If your didn't it's more stupid.

Homedawg
06-26-2022, 10:16 PM

Cann recruited nobody off of the team that one it other than Tanner. Cann is the guy that recruited most of these guys. Lens problem is he didn't punt a lot of canns recruits. He honored all of them. He's living w that mistake

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 10:17 PM
Ole miss loses almost its entire lineup. They won't be better. You need to jump now

Yeah part of the reason they won this year was because they were an old team. Heck some of those guys been there so long they're drawing social security.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2022, 10:18 PM
Cann recruited nobody off of the team that one it other than Tanner. Cann is the guy that recruited most of these guys. Lens problem is he didn't punt a lot of canns recruits. He honored all of them. He's living w that mistake

I don't know why folks can't understand this.

TheLostDawg
06-26-2022, 10:22 PM
Ok I have had my time to moan, b****, and 17 complain.

Lets get this s*** fixed. And we have the ability to with NIL. If you got the extra money give it to The Bulldog Initiative. Whatever you are giving to the bulldog club outside of ticket donation requirement consider giving it to NIL. A&M showed everyone that transfers can turn things around for a team. And to get those transfers we have to step up our NIL buy in. It is good right now, but it has to be better to get back to Omaha

More details on bulldog initiative,
Didn't yall say elite Dawgs is trying to get an nil thing together?

TNDawg35
06-26-2022, 10:46 PM

This exactly. We should have done what Johnson is doing at LSU and wiped the slate clean when he started.

On a side note, we actually don?t look as bad as y?all think. I think we will be solid. Y?all wanna bitch and complain, but we are a bullpen away from making noise this year. We took 2/4 from OM, 2/3 from Bama, 2/3 from Auburn, and won 1 at Ark which we haven?t done in years. Plus We beat Texas Tech 1/2. We were 5-4 against CWS participants without a bullpen and truly only 1 starter.

Now onto the draft. The only real loss I?m seeing is Jett Williams. He is gone from what I?m hearing. The kid who is a switch pitcher was suppose to be on campus early, and a lot of scouts are iffy on him. Dakota Jordan will
Be here baring some miracle. We have a couple really good juco pitchers coming in plus the 2 or 3 we have picked up in the portal already. There was also a kid on campus who damn near came straight from Omaha for a visit. We are still in with the Air Force kid and also the Stetson kid. Some of y?all need to relax and let it play out. Our lineup actually looks pretty good as long as nothing crazy happens in the draft. I don?t think Kam will be drafted high enough to go nor will Clark. If that?s the case, we are looking at this?

1b Hinse
2B transfer
3b Alford (having a good summer)
SS Forsythe
LF Dakota Jordan (barring something crazy happening)
CF Ledbetter
RF Clark

I can get behind that outfield. It is ALOT better defensively than last year. We need to pick up a good 2B in the portal or someone is gonna have to step up?

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 12:52 AM

That's why I have to absolutely laugh when people say that they want him back. Yes, he is part of the reason we won a championship. He's also part of the reason we had to pay the piper this year. There's a reason Cohen fired him when he did. And why he can't get a job at Eastern Kentucky or New Mexico State. His messing around may have also cost us a title in 2019 arguably. I'm happy we at least got the one. And we're pretty fortunate we didn't have to pay the piper until this year. When you're distracted like he was you're not going to be focused on recruiting either. Heck- he wasn't even focused on who if anyone was in the bullpen. I heard the story about him trying to make a pitching change at USM and we didn't even have anyone warming up.

Yeah part of the reason they won this year was because they were an old team. Heck some of those guys been there so long they're drawing social security.
And apparently part of the reason some of them came back was because we won last year.

I don't know why folks can't understand this.

See my response to Homedawg. I'm just not computer savvy enough to organize this in a coherent form.

This exactly. We should have done what Johnson is doing at LSU and wiped the slate clean when he started.

On a side note, we actually don?t look as bad as y?all think. I think we will be solid. Y?all wanna bitch and complain, but we are a bullpen away from making noise this year. We took 2/4 from OM, 2/3 from Bama, 2/3 from Auburn, and won 1 at Ark which we haven?t done in years. Plus We beat Texas Tech 1/2. We were 5-4 against CWS participants without a bullpen and truly only 1 starter.

Now onto the draft. The only real loss I?m seeing is Jett Williams. He is gone from what I?m hearing. The kid who is a switch pitcher was suppose to be on campus early, and a lot of scouts are iffy on him. Dakota Jordan will
Be here baring some miracle. We have a couple really good juco pitchers coming in plus the 2 or 3 we have picked up in the portal already. There was also a kid on campus who damn near came straight from Omaha for a visit. We are still in with the Air Force kid and also the Stetson kid. Some of y?all need to relax and let it play out. Our lineup actually looks pretty good as long as nothing crazy happens in the draft. I don?t think Kam will be drafted high enough to go nor will Clark. If that?s the case, we are looking at this?

1b Hinse
2B transfer
SS Forsythe
CF Ledbetter
RF Clark

I can get behind that outfield. It is ALOT better defensively than last year. We need to pick up a good 2B in the portal or someone is gonna have to step up?

Not only that but Nate Dohm looked good in summer ball last night and there is a good chance we get Colby Holcombe in. KC Hunt has looked good. Fristoe's first Cape outing was rough however. Add in Landon Gartman and Pico and I think we are off to good start with our pitching staff. We need more but we have time and I know we're working hard to fix it. I'm guessing we're still looking to get 3-4 more pitchers and around 2-3 more position players pending what Luke Hancock decides to do. Probably an OF and DH and maybe a second baseman. Still have work to do but we also have time to do it.

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 03:52 AM

1b Hinse
2B transfer
SS Forsythe
CF Ledbetter
RF Clark

We're a bullpen from making a regional. We still don't have a weekend stud to send to the mound. Gartman is solid but he's not an SEC big dog. Dohm was better as a starter and can bring it but can he handle it? We really need more. I don't see a reliable closer. Stone has never proven to be that. Maybe he steps up. I'm not sure on a couple guys being back but we'll see. I'm not counting on Dakota being ready to start as a FR either. He's got a lot to work on with the bat.
Still don't have a CF. Ledbetter isn't it defensively there IMO. And out OF was a weakness this year defensively. SS isn't adequate (I hate to agree with C34) with the bat.
We've got to eliminate strikeouts. Those were damn killers this year. A ridiculous amount of strikeouts. If the draft doesn't go great for us, we'll be in trouble. And it's killed us lately.

msstate7
06-27-2022, 05:53 AM
W no sat guy. No Sunday guy and one guy out of the pen? Look Gonzalo's a stud, but damn

They losing Dougherty?

Harris, mccants, and alderman should be back, right?

Who we have returning that makes us better than them?

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 09:44 AM
They losing Dougherty?

Harris, mccants, and alderman should be back, right?

Who we have returning that makes us better than them?

He hadn't gone more than just over 3 innings all year.
We've return Hines, Clark, Alford, Downs, maybe a couple others depending on things, Forsythe, we add Ledbetter and we've already added a top pitcher and a kid throwing 99. If DeLusia returns, OM will be solid on the mound. But they won't remotely be the hitting team they were this year. They were a very veteran team. We saw how things went after winning it. That focus won't be like it was with the whole team back like it was this year.

Johnson85
06-27-2022, 09:48 AM

Am I having a brain fart? Who is our Friday starter? One of the transfers? Or is Cade Smith Friday night material? I know we can put him out there and he'll be as good or better than what we had this year, but was under the impression that he was not quite Friday night good.

AGree that arms will be key. We weren't good this year, but we weren't as bad as we looked. One good pitcher out of the bull pen and we are at least in a regional. But just not sure we're going to get the pitching issue fixed. If Fristoe could suddenly live up to his potential, we would all the sudden have a strong start for next year. Granted, that's probably not happening at this point, but it's not like it's a 1 in a 100 chance. A Fristoe that is right between the ears, Cade Smith, and then the Memphis transfer looks like a strong rotation.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2022, 09:56 AM
Am I having a brain fart? Who is our Friday starter? One of the transfers? Or is Cade Smith Friday night material? I know we can put him out there and he'll be as good or better than what we had this year, but was under the impression that he was not quite Friday night good.

AGree that arms will be key. We weren't good this year, but we weren't as bad as we looked. One good pitcher out of the bull pen and we are at least in a regional. But just not sure we're going to get the pitching issue fixed. If Fristoe could suddenly live up to his potential, we would all the sudden have a strong start for next year. Granted, that's probably not happening at this point, but it's not like it's a 1 in a 100 chance. A Fristoe that is right between the ears, Cade Smith, and then the Memphis transfer looks like a strong rotation.

Cade progressed quite well this year and with a summer and fall of continued development he will be a very good friday night guy, he has the stuff to be for sure.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2022, 09:58 AM
He hadn't gone more than just over 3 innings all year.
We've return Hines, Clark, Alford, Downs, maybe a couple others depending on things, Forsythe, we add Ledbetter and we've already added a top pitcher and a kid throwing 99. If DeLusia returns, OM will be solid on the mound. But they won't remotely be the hitting team they were this year. They were a very veteran team. We saw how things went after winning it. That focus won't be like it was with the whole team back like it was this year.

Talking to some scouts I know and a few others, Delucia stock went way up and he's likely gone(he's very high on several draft boards now.). He made some money this postseason.

Coach34
06-27-2022, 10:00 AM
Cade is good enough to give us Friday night starts and a chance to win.

Jack has got to be fixed. He throws 93-95 so the arm talent is there. He has to change his grip on his FB slightly to make it move more. There is something he can be taught to make him better. Fix it. Too much talent being wasted with this guy.

We have a transfer arm that will help. Need more

Cooterpoot
06-27-2022, 11:19 AM
Right now, I like Cade on Saturday. I've got Gartman on Friday and Dohm on Sunday. Now, we get either of the two starters we're chasing, things change. And if Cade or Dohm really throw it well, that changes too. We need a dominating Friday guy. We just don't have that. We've got good pitchers. We need a top two round type guy to compete in the SEC. Best SEC teams will have that.

StarkVegasSteve
06-27-2022, 12:48 PM
Cade is good enough to give us Friday night starts and a chance to win.

Jack has got to be fixed. He throws 93-95 so the arm talent is there. He has to change his grip on his FB slightly to make it move more. There is something he can be taught to make him better. Fix it. Too much talent being wasted with this guy.

We have a transfer arm that will help. Need more

Agreed we have to get Fristoe fixed if he is salvageable at this point. We need to be able to slide him back into that Sunday role. A Skenes, Cade, and fully unlocked Fristoe is a hell of a weekend rotation. Pull Nixon and you may have your closer to tag team along with KC. Add in Gartman and Holcombe and you have your midweek guys and relievers to go along with a returning Cheatham and a newcomer in Dohm. Add in Loftin as a possible midweek guy and another lefty reliever and our pen in night and day from last year.

Again that all sounds great on paper. We have to be able to 1. Close and pull those transfers and 2. Get Fristoe and KC right and 3. Hope Cade continues to progress.

WSOPdawg
06-27-2022, 01:38 PM
Agreed we have to get Fristoe fixed if he is salvageable at this point. We need to be able to slide him back into that Sunday role. A Skenes, Cade, and fully unlocked Fristoe is a hell of a weekend rotation. Pull Nixon and you may have your closer to tag team along with KC. Add in Gartman and Holcombe and you have your midweek guys and relievers to go along with a returning Cheatham and a newcomer in Dohm. Add in Loftin as a possible midweek guy and another lefty reliever and our pen in night and day from last year.

Again that all sounds great on paper. We have to be able to 1. Close and pull those transfers and 2. Get Fristoe and KC right and 3. Hope Cade continues to progress.

Great post, but Skenes for Friday night could be huge as it positions all other pitchers in an advantageous spot on the staff.

StarkVegasSteve
06-27-2022, 02:30 PM
Great post, but Skenes for Friday night could be huge as it positions all other pitchers in an advantageous spot on the staff.

If you could pull Skenes and he wins the Friday night job like he should you are able to really help the rest of your pen because as we saw last year, and as OM just proved, having a dominant Friday guy sets up the rest of your rotation and gives you a chance to have a full pen for Game 2 and 3 of a series.

We are also forgetting the ultimate wild card in all of this. What if we pull Cijntje to campus?? How much different does the staff look then?

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 02:34 PM
Right now I think KC Hunt will be our Friday night guy if he doesn't go pro. Cade will be Saturday. And then Sunday could be anyone from Gartman, Holcombe, Fristoe, Dohm, or a freshman.

That's assuming we completely whiff in the portal. We need an elite Friday night guy and the only guys with that kind of potential are our freshmen.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 02:36 PM

KC has looked good. Fristoe in one outing- not so much. But still has time. It was his first outing in the Cape.

All of our hitters I have been pleased with so far FWIW. Forsythe just started playing too so we'll see how he does.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2022, 02:39 PM
That's why I have to absolutely laugh when people say that they want him back. Yes, he is part of the reason we won a championship. He's also part of the reason we had to pay the piper this year. There's a reason Cohen fired him when he did. And why he can't get a job at Eastern Kentucky or New Mexico State. His messing around may have also cost us a title in 2019 arguably. I'm happy we at least got the one. And we're pretty fortunate we didn't have to pay the piper until this year. When you're distracted like he was you're not going to be focused on recruiting either. Heck- he wasn't even focused on who if anyone was in the bullpen. I heard the story about him trying to make a pitching change at USM and we didn't even have anyone warming up.

And apparently part of the reason some of them came back was because we won last year.

See my response to Homedawg. I'm just not computer savvy enough to organize this in a coherent form.

Not only that but Nate Dohm looked good in summer ball last night and there is a good chance we get Colby Holcombe in. KC Hunt has looked good. Fristoe's first Cape outing was rough however. Add in Landon Gartman and Pico and I think we are off to good start with our pitching staff. We need more but we have time and I know we're working hard to fix it. I'm guessing we're still looking to get 3-4 more pitchers and around 2-3 more position players pending what Luke Hancock decides to do. Probably an OF and DH and maybe a second baseman. Still have work to do but we also have time to do it.

Very good post!

Johnson85
06-27-2022, 02:44 PM
So what is the worst pitcher we've had suddenly figure things out after two years?

I remember several pitchers that seemed to make big jumps as Juniors or later(girodo, Hudson, Gordon, Stratton, Zach Smith), but I can't remember if any of them were basket cases before they figured it our or if they just needed to fine tune things and just get over the hump.

StarkVegasSteve
06-27-2022, 03:41 PM
So what is the worst pitcher we've had suddenly figure things out after two years?

I remember several pitchers that seemed to make big jumps as Juniors or later(girodo, Hudson, Gordon, Stratton, Zach Smith), but I can't remember if any of them were basket cases before they figured it our or if they just needed to fine tune things and just get over the hump.

Jacob Lindgren is the one that sticks out in my head. That really is the only one I can think of. Chad Crosswhite also made a pretty big jump after his first two years.

StarkVegasSteve
06-27-2022, 03:43 PM
KC has looked good. Fristoe in one outing- not so much. But still has time. It was his first outing in the Cape.

All of our hitters I have been pleased with so far FWIW. Forsythe just started playing too so we'll see how he does.

KC also looked unhittable in the Cape last year. His big thing is putting a fully healthy year together.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure who Zach Smith is but I do remember posters on various MSU message boards calling each of those pitchers busts and certain times before they put it together and writing them off. I remember people on sixpack calling me nuts for saying that Stratton would be a first round pick. Ethan Small had an ERA of over 11 I think his freshman year.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 04:06 PM
KC also looked unhittable in the Cape last year. His big thing is putting a fully healthy year together.

I agree. Health is his biggest issue this past season.

Todd4State
06-27-2022, 04:07 PM
Very good post!

High five!

Goldendawg
06-27-2022, 04:58 PM
An improvement on hitting with RISP in 2023 and more than 1 save in an SEC games is critical. Either recruited new blood, veteran players stepping up, or immediate portal help. Best case, a combination of all three. Hail State!

BeardoMSU
06-27-2022, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure who Zach Smith is but I do remember posters on various MSU message boards calling each of those pitchers busts and certain times before they put it together and writing them off. I remember people on sixpack calling me nuts for saying that Stratton would be a first round pick. Ethan Small had an ERA of over 11 I think his freshman year.

Word.

Mjoelner34
06-27-2022, 05:51 PM
Liebelt made a HUGE jump his Jr. to Sr. year. An ERA north of 13 down to 2.96 with 5 saves 2 wins. And, although a non-pitcher, Skelton's jump from Jr. to Sr. on that same team was downright incredible both offensively and defensively!

ETA: Was replying to Johnson85.

Johnson85
06-28-2022, 12:55 PM

Guy that may have had a coming out part in the governors cup and ended up being good by the end of the year? Big guy. I was thinking he maybe got kicked off the team after that year, but the only thing I can find is McQuary and that's not who I was thinking of. It's entirely possible I'm mixing and matching between different players.

ETA: Zach Houston is who I was thinking of although it doesn't look like he was ever bad going by the stats. Looked like he had a tendency to blow up his junior year and the coaches may not have trusted him but he ended up finishing the season on a few strong outings where he pitched significant innings after only pitching one or two innings at a time before. Must have sort of mixed up my memories of him with some other pitchers.

TNDawg35
06-29-2022, 04:32 AM
If we have a healthy Cade and a Healthy Hunt, that is a heck of a 1/2 or 2/3 punch. Then if we do bring in the Air Force guy, we have a down right nasty rotation for next year that I would put up against anyones… Just figure the bullpen out and look out…

msugolf
03-24-2023, 07:14 PM
People say the dumbest crap ever. But I'll bet you whatevr you want name then amount he will be .. go

BUMP?.still want this bet?

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2023, 07:32 PM
Lemonis is on the clock. Now its not get to the tournament, its host and do damage.

Next year will be worse if Lemonis is the coach. You think recruits are going to stick with Lemonis and Fox after these scores become widely known? Also, the better players are all going to bail on this dude, portal-out. Roster and Recruiting meltdown in the style of Nikki McCray Penson.

Arkansas, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida are going to take all the real players and the best recruits. Lemons is going to be fielding JUCOs with no other D1 offers next February.

Lemonis needs claim health issues and just go. This disaster is High-Risk to wreck the roster and recruiting. It's like a death penalty. Should have fired him last year. Just the dang Manager, he's not the program.

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2023, 07:34 PM

He meant Zach Houston. Drafted by Detroit after his very good 2016 season.

StarkVegasSteve
03-24-2023, 07:41 PM
Next year will be worse if Lemonis is the coach. You think recruits are going to stick with Lemonis and Fox after these scores become widely known? Also, the better players are all going to bail on this dude, portal-out. Roster and Recruiting meltdown in the style of Nikki McCray Penson.

Arkansas, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida are going to take all the real players and the best recruits. Lemons is going to be fielding JUCOs with no other D1 offers next February.

Lemonis needs claim health issues and just go. This disaster is High-Risk to wreck the roster and recruiting. It's like a death penalty. Should have fired him last year. Just the dang Manager, he's not the program.

I will forgive you for not reading the date on the original post. I posted this last May.

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2023, 08:39 PM
I will forgive you for not reading the date on the original post. I posted this last May.

Thanks for the forgiveness Pal. I'm too mad top level reading comprehension.

msstate7
03-24-2023, 08:46 PM

Everyone gave me hell for this post. Y'all ready to apologize? I was wrong though... we aren't improved

StarkVegasSteve
03-24-2023, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the forgiveness Pal. I'm too mad top level reading comprehension.

Well I just attacked every old fart in the game thread for this feeding the other team crap so no worries Fed. We are all pissed and this shit needs to get fixed.

msstate7
03-24-2023, 08:52 PM
Too bad sixpack changed their site this offseason... goat ridiculed the hell out of me for saying there's no way we would turn this around this season. Lemonis is a loser. He's trash. Throw out or burn the trash before our program becomes trash