PDA

View Full Version : Hard Truths for Us.

THE Bruce Dickinson
06-25-2022, 12:46 AM
With Ole Miss on the brink of their first real championship in baseball, MSU fans need to face reality in several ways...

1. We aren't going to win the national championship in football ever. With NIL starting to take full affect we simply can't keep up with some of the other programs in this country. I know I will get the "This is a loser attitude" from many posters here, but it's simply a reality. 8/9/10 win seasons at Mississippi State are great years and it doesn't matter that much if we lose the Egg bowl some years. It's going to happen.

2. Men's basketball goal every season should be to make the NCAA tournament, 1 seed, 11 seed it doesn't matter. Make the tournament. Even the blue bloods don't make the tournament every year in and out. Once you are in crazy things can happen. That's the beauty of March madness.

3. We have an elite baseball program with national prominence. That won't change with our reputation and facilities. An Ole Miss title in 2022 doesn't cheapen our 2021 championship. We will be back.

Other than that, I don't really care.

Just some late night thoughts. Flame away and Boomer Sooner.

bulldawg28
06-25-2022, 04:16 AM
Go to sleep....sheeshhh.

99jc
06-25-2022, 07:09 AM
Go to sleep....sheeshhh.

AND DONT WAKE UP

Maroonthirteen
06-25-2022, 08:41 AM
1. I had suspicions of this after the 1999 season. Lose at Bama and Arkansas after being undefeated. 2014 was a straight punch to the nose confirmation.

2. We had a helluva run with Williams and Stans. They maximized the program's potential. Maybe Jan can achieve what they did. Maybe.

3. Boom! Spot on! I don't care what colonel sanders does this weekend. State still
Has the best baseball program in state.

R2Dawg
06-25-2022, 08:53 AM
1. Mostly agree. But I wouldn't say never or 0 chance. 99 and 18 had #1 D in land. Anytime you do that, you have a chance. 2014 we had great balance and peaked too early. The chance is very slim though.

2. Yep basketball with just a few key players, chemistry and the March madness opportunity, just make the tourney. Better chance here to make some noise and have a chance.

3. Whatever another team does, never subtracts from happened previously. We are a top baseball program and was NC in 2021 in a year where the competition was as good as ever. I'd say CWS pitching was among best ever and the records and stats prove it (partly due to Covid extra year and so many pitchers on staffs). One could argue the 2021 NC was harder than any other year to win.

The emotion of our suck year followed by OM NC run is the MSU way and feels bad but the facts are nothing is removed from MSU baseball just OM baseball moved up a tick.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-25-2022, 09:34 AM
1. We aren't going to win the national championship in football ever.

This is stupid. Just 85 years ago, we were in the same conference as Sewanee. Times change. Kodak was once a monster stalwart of a company and Apple and Amazon and Google didn?t even exist. The Alamo was in the middle of nowhere and now it?s in the downtown area of the 7th largest city in the US. Things change. To say we won?t ever win it is dumb. Nobody knows what the future brings.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-25-2022, 10:17 AM
Thats why I have zero confidence in Cohen or Keenum. I cant see those two making us any more than a bottom third of SEC Athletic Department. We need leadership that can get more than the diehard fanbase and a very small number of money people to buy in to MSU Athletics. Ole Miss Athletics was basically dead and buried in 2017 and we could not surpass them. They are coming off a Sugar Bowl, Baseball playing for a Natty. Kermit is the weakest major coach they have and we cant do better than beat him half the time.
MSU Baseball, Basketball and WBB are in total rebuilds. Football is staring at 6-6 with paid attendance being 40k. Our whole season hinges on finding a LT so we can block 3 with 5 and dink and dunk the ball down the field. We are still trying to figure out NIL while everyone else seems to have it figured out.
We had a chance to upgrade in our Athletic Department and instead hired a retread who went to Wake Forest to learn from them and bring back ideas to grow athletics and marketing from Wake Forest 🤷.

Homedawg
06-25-2022, 10:37 AM
This is stupid. Just 85 years ago, we were in the same conference as Sewanee. Times change. Kodak was once a monster stalwart of a company and Apple and Amazon and Google didn?t even exist. The Alamo was in the middle of nowhere and now it?s in the downtown area of the 7th largest city in the US. Things change. To say we won?t ever win it is dumb. Nobody knows what the future brings.

Ok most people don't live 85 years so there's that. But in a lifetime the odds of us winning a nc in todays environment is about .0001 so there's a chance.

Leroy Jenkins
06-25-2022, 11:23 AM
Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

DownwardDawg
06-25-2022, 12:34 PM
The OP is spot on. I'll always watch our football team and support them 100%, but I've accepted the fact that we are what we are. Baseball should get MSU athletics 100% priority.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-25-2022, 01:16 PM
Dave Emerick says see ya Leach? gone to SoCal

Goldendawg
06-25-2022, 01:16 PM
1. Mostly agree. But I wouldn't say never or 0 chance. 99 and 18 had #1 D in land. Anytime you do that, you have a chance. 2014 we had great balance and peaked too early. The chance is very slim though.

2. Yep basketball with just a few key players, chemistry and the March madness opportunity, just make the tourney. Better chance here to make some noise and have a chance.

3. Whatever another team does, never subtracts from happened previously. We are a top baseball program and was NC in 2021 in a year where the competition was as good as ever. I'd say CWS pitching was among best ever and the records and stats prove it (partly due to Covid extra year and so many pitchers on staffs). One could argue the 2021 NC was harder than any other year to win.

The emotion of our suck year followed by OM NC run is the MSU way and feels bad but the facts are nothing is removed from MSU baseball just OM baseball moved up a tick.

Number 1 - Dan checked out early before bama and OM and went on his annual job search. Definitely didn't build on the season.

Goldendawg
06-25-2022, 01:30 PM
Football still pays the bills (along with SEC checks). I'm glad we won a National Championship, but some of you guys act like we should expand the Dude to 60K seats and reduce DWS to 15K. A couple of more baseball seasons like this past one and getting a good seat won't be an issue. We buy season tickets for football for almost 55 years. I attend a few baseball games with a friend in baseball. Outside of the SEC and a couple more conferences college baseball attendance is non-existent.

DownwardDawg
06-25-2022, 02:29 PM
Football still pays the bills (along with SEC checks). I'm glad we won a National Championship, but some of you guys act like we should expand the Dude to 60K seats and reduce DWS to 15K. A couple of more baseball seasons like this past one and getting a good seat won't be an issue. We buy season tickets for football for almost 55 years. I attend a few baseball games with a friend in baseball. Outside of the SEC and a couple more conferences college baseball attendance is non-existent.

No. Everyone on this board knows that football pays the bills. We aren't saying anything like you suggested. We just know how things are gonna go. A 8 or 9 win season in football is as good as it'll ever get. That's great. Pays the bills just fine. Focus efforts like NIL on baseball.

Goldendawg
06-25-2022, 04:30 PM
No. Everyone on this board knows that football pays the bills. We aren't saying anything like you suggested. We just know how things are gonna go. A 8 or 9 win season in football is as good as it'll ever get. That's great. Pays the bills just fine. Focus efforts like NIL on baseball.

NIL may ruin college sports as we know it. I by know means know our story behind the scenes but NIL$ has to go to FB also or we won't sniff 8 to 9 wins. Same for success we want in MBB. I give the $ and support I can. Maybe NIL is the former "under the table" stuff and a game we all played the best we could, but "The Wild, Wild We$t" is out in the open and some of these figures are mind boggling. Guess many are really not worried about being "student athletes", more like free agents every year, Hail State!

Offshore Dawg
06-25-2022, 07:28 PM

The way LSU and some others are spending money you can forget baseball also.

NCMSTFAN
06-25-2022, 07:40 PM
Im sure I will have push back but I dont like the NIL excuse for everything, we haven't not done much in basketball or football in the past few years regardless.. its another excuse at this point. We have a veteran football team with good players in year 3 under Leach, we need to make noise this season. Basketball is also one of those sports where things can get turned around really quick.. NIL or not you can win really fast even with coaching changes in Basketball.

Saltydog
06-25-2022, 07:53 PM

Sooo, you're saying there's a chance.......

State82
06-25-2022, 08:35 PM
Oh most definitely. You know, if I purchase a lottery ticket then there is a chance I could be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-25-2022, 08:49 PM
The way LSU and some others are spending money you can forget baseball also.
Yep. But we dropped $60M+ on a baseball stadium.

Offshore Dawg
06-25-2022, 08:52 PM
Yep. But we dropped $60M+ on a baseball stadium.

So, the dawgs will get swept in a fine new stadium.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-25-2022, 09:01 PM
So, the dawgs will get swept in a fine new stadium.
Does anyone expect next seasons MSU baseball team to be any better than this past season?

Bothrops
06-25-2022, 09:05 PM
3. We have an elite baseball program with national prominence.

And guess who just joined us....

ImissCityBagel
06-25-2022, 09:51 PM
I think we can win a football natty... It will probably be post-saban.

Homedawg
06-25-2022, 09:54 PM
Does anyone expect next seasons MSU baseball team to be any better than this past season?

Yes. You must be fun at parties. I'm shocked somehow you didn't butch about cohen in this particular post so congrats. But yeah we'll figure it out. And quickly.

Homedawg
06-25-2022, 09:58 PM

That's not reality. Just not. Not even close. Bash me all you want. Now going to the playoff w 12 teams isn't impossible but it's at least "possible". But winning a ship ain't happening. Just isn't.

FoggyBottom
06-25-2022, 10:01 PM
1. I had suspicions of this after the 1999 season. Lose at Bama and Arkansas after being undefeated. 2014 was a straight punch to the nose confirmation.

2. We had a helluva run with Williams and Stans. They maximized the program's potential. Maybe Jan can achieve what they did. Maybe.

3. Boom! Spot on! I don't care what colonel sanders does this weekend. State still
Has the best baseball program in state.

at least 40 games in each of the last four seasons reside in Mississippi. One is in Hattiesburg and the other is in Oxford.

Homedawg
06-25-2022, 10:04 PM
at least 40 games in each of the last four seasons reside in Mississippi. One is in Hattiesburg and the other is in Oxford.

One of 3 schools have been to Omaha 3 of the last 4 trips. One has a ship at this point. But carry on pal

THE Bruce Dickinson
06-25-2022, 10:37 PM
And guess who just joined us....

So what.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2022, 10:54 PM
Some of you mother17ers have more issues than a Foxhall pitching staff.

BeardoMSU
06-25-2022, 11:39 PM
Some of you mother17ers have more issues than a Foxhall pitching staff.

Is this reverse-psychology method of convincing yourself this doesn't matter, lol?

Offshore Dawg
06-26-2022, 08:15 AM
Bottom line folks, is it will take more money now to compete than in the past. If you sit back and don't offer enough money the good players will go elsewhere. That is the cold hard facts.

ImissCityBagel
06-26-2022, 08:55 AM
That's not reality. Just not. Not even close. Bash me all you want. Now going to the playoff w 12 teams isn't impossible but it's at least "possible". But winning a ship ain't happening. Just isn't.

Why? Because we aren't a blue blood brand? Look at Tennessee or Nebraska. We live in a rich recruiting region, the QB of the Dallas Cowboys happens to be an alum, have SEC privilege, and have been able to beat your LSUs/Barns/Michigan's/TAMUs, and look at Cincinnati.

There other are schools that would kill to be where we are.

Homedawg
06-26-2022, 09:30 AM
Because we can't recruit elite enough talent. That's why. When you finish 25th in the country and that gets you 11/12th in the league you haven't made up any ground. We will never consistently recruit well enough to get there. My opinion. I'll gladly welcome us to prove me wrong.

DownwardDawg
06-26-2022, 09:59 AM
Because we can't recruit elite enough talent. That's why. When you finish 25th in the country and that gets you 11/12th in the league you haven't made up any ground. We will never consistently recruit well enough to get there. My opinion. I'll gladly welcome us to prove me wrong.

I'm with you 100%. We can make a 12 team playoff from time to time but that's about it. That's not a terrible thing.

Cooterpoot
06-26-2022, 10:05 AM
Is this reverse-psychology method of convincing yourself this doesn't matter, lol?

I'm not nearly as concern as some of the people that post here. Shit happens
Too many State fans seem to enjoy being miserable. When have we ever had a chance to win a national championship in football? 2014? Hell, we lost 3 games. It was fun, but was never going to end holding the trophy. Our athletics have never been great. Nothing has changed in that respect.
And guess what. Our Natty last year is still just as relevant as it's ever been, no matter what OM does today or tomorrow.

KOdawg1
06-26-2022, 10:08 AM
Some of y'all losing your minds over what he said, but he's not wrong. We will never win a national championship in football. Especially not now. We don't recruit well enough and we sure as hell won't now with NIL. Get a grip people.

His basketball expectations are fine.

He's correct that baseball will be fine.

Offshore Dawg
06-26-2022, 03:27 PM

how far into infinity before you think this will happen ?

Leeshouldveflanked
06-26-2022, 03:42 PM
We don?t recruit elite talent because we don?t want to spend the money to do it. We underfund and understaff our Football recruiting. We actually overachieve considering what effort we put in it.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-26-2022, 04:12 PM

Things change. Army used to be a dominant football team. They won national championships. Harvard, Princeton, Penn and Yale once combined to win 31 consecutive national championships. Things change.

Homedawg
06-26-2022, 04:42 PM
We don?t recruit elite talent because we don?t want to spend the money to do it. We underfund and understaff our Football recruiting. We actually overachieve considering what effort we put in it.

We could spend 50 million more in the Dept and wouldnt win one more game. If we spent more on buying players we would. But that ain't happening.

jacksondawg
06-26-2022, 04:48 PM
Could the University/BDC not funnel money through companies that Alumni own and operate in order to get around the rule about universities not directly paying players?

Schultzy
06-26-2022, 07:27 PM
Number 1 - Dan checked out early before bama and OM and went on his annual job search. Definitely didn't build on the season.

This is true and I will always fan despise him for it.

DeltaSwamp
06-26-2022, 09:39 PM
With Ole Miss on the brink of their first real championship in baseball, MSU fans need to face reality in several ways...

1. We aren't going to win the national championship in football ever. With NIL starting to take full affect we simply can't keep up with some of the other programs in this country. I know I will get the "This is a loser attitude" from many posters here, but it's simply a reality. 8/9/10 win seasons at Mississippi State are great years and it doesn't matter that much if we lose the Egg bowl some years. It's going to happen.

2. Men's basketball goal every season should be to make the NCAA tournament, 1 seed, 11 seed it doesn't matter. Make the tournament. Even the blue bloods don't make the tournament every year in and out. Once you are in crazy things can happen. That's the beauty of March madness.

3. We have an elite baseball program with national prominence. That won't change with our reputation and facilities. An Ole Miss title in 2022 doesn't cheapen our 2021 championship. We will be back.

Other than that, I don't really care.

Just some late night thoughts. Flame away and Boomer Sooner.

Damn right! We won ours first. Now lets go win our seonc first!

EdwardDrayton
06-26-2022, 09:45 PM

Hard to think it could be worse

PGHBulldogBG
06-27-2022, 12:21 PM
This is true and I will always fan despise him for it.

The number 1 problem with Dan is that after 2010 he just didn?t want to be here. The problem was that he didn?t win enough to over compensate his arrogance and that is why schools didn?t hire him. He got stuck here and would perform well until early November when he focused too much on leaving. His best bet would have been to do whatever he needed to do to beat Bama instead of looking for jobs before that game. Even if he lost to Ole Miss, he would?ve got an SEC title that year and a CFB appearance going 12-1. That most likely would?ve landed him a job in 2015 at a big school that would?ve overlooked his ego