PDA

View Full Version : So let me get this straight, OM been to CWS 6 times?

R2Dawg
06-13-2022, 09:03 AM
I guess it is Omaha only 2 right? SECN just saying that.

msstatelp1
06-13-2022, 09:37 AM
I guess it is Omaha only 2 right? SECN just saying that.

All 6 were Omaha. CWS moved to Omaha in 1950. We've been 12 times, they've been 6. They've only been 3 times in the past 50 years (1972, 2014, 2022). They also went in 56, 64, and 69.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-13-2022, 10:25 AM
Will they have to sell their Daddys BMW to get there?

MedDawg
06-13-2022, 10:30 AM
All 6 were Omaha. CWS moved to Omaha in 1950. We've been 12 times, they've been 6. They've only been 3 times in the past 50 years (1972, 2014, 2022). They also went in 56, 64, and 69.

So that's really only twice in 50 years.

And they cheated to get to Omaha in 1972. That was when they were using swimming scholarships for baseball players.

Coach34
06-13-2022, 10:31 AM

1972 was 51 seasons ago. They have only been twice in the last 50 seasons

Jack Lambert
06-13-2022, 01:36 PM
So that's really only twice in 50 years.

And they cheated to get to Omaha in 1972. That was when they were using swimming scholarships for baseball players.

Will Rogers Grand Dad was a pitcher for that team. I think Arch Manning's Grand Dad was a third basemen.

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2022, 02:09 PM
Will Rogers Grand Dad was a pitcher for that team. I think Arch Manning's Grand Dad was a third basemen.

Archie wasn't on the '72 team. He was on the '69 CWS team I believe

basedog
06-13-2022, 02:37 PM

Archie Who was a SS.

basedog
06-13-2022, 02:44 PM

Ole Dixie 72 team was a very good team. All hell broke out in Left Field Lounge when they came to The Dude. Back then trucks and cars were everywhere in the “Lounge” that night. It was estimated close to 9k that night. Ripple Wine and PBR beer everywhere, you had to drive to Crossroads or Columbus to get liquor.

Commercecomet24
06-13-2022, 03:07 PM
Ole Dixie 72 team was a very good team. All hell broke out in Left Field Lounge when they came to The Dude. Back then trucks and cars were everywhere in the “Lounge” that night. It was estimated close to 9k that night. Ripple Wine and PBR beer everywhere, you had to drive to Crossroads or Columbus to get liquor.

Times sure have changed(and not always for the better), Base!

basedog
06-13-2022, 03:44 PM
Times sure have changed(and not always for the better), Base!

Paul Gregory had some really good teams when I was in school. Bunch of talent and dirt baggers also. What a great gentleman he was also
Crowds where big back then also. Say what folks want but MSU baseball started what the college crowds are now days.
Man U should have seen Phil Still hit and play 3rd base, he was drafted by Yankees, his probably not getting called up was Craig Nettles at third.

State82
06-13-2022, 03:50 PM
Man U should have seen Phil Still hit and play 3rd base.

Bad to the bone.

Commercecomet24
06-13-2022, 03:50 PM
Paul Gregory had some really good teams when I was in school. Bunch of talent and dirt baggers also. What a great gentleman he was also
Crowds where big back then also. Say what folks want but MSU baseball started what the college crowds are now days.
Man U should have seen Phil Still hit and play 3rd base, he was drafted by Yankees, his probably not getting called up was Craig Nettles at third.

We lived in Starkville in '76-78 while my dad was finishing his post grad work at State and I remember going to games at the Dude back then(I was in my early teen years then) and remember the big crowds and being naive, I just figured all college baseball teams had than kind of fan support.. Heck I remember when Buck Showalter was called Nat lol!

Just fun, simple times then.

basedog
06-13-2022, 05:12 PM
Bad to the bone.

Ted Milton was Mad Dawg, dude got beamed in the face in Sec Championship (back then 2 out 3 playoff) against Vandy. He played next day with black eyes and maybe broke nose. Tough as nails!

SilentSteel16
06-14-2022, 09:14 PM
I actually played for Ted Milton and he still had that pissed off face all the time. Haha

State82
06-14-2022, 09:33 PM
Ted Milton was Mad Dawg, dude got beamed in the face in Sec Championship (back then 2 out 3 playoff) against Vandy. He played next day with black eyes and maybe broke nose. Tough as nails!
Dang! That really is bad to the bone.

Schultzy
06-14-2022, 09:38 PM
We lived in Starkville in '76-78 while my dad was finishing his post grad work at State and I remember going to games at the Dude back then(I was in my early teen years then) and remember the big crowds and being naive, I just figured all college baseball teams had than kind of fan support.. Heck I remember when Buck Showalter was called Nat lol!

Me too. We used to be with group that pulled up their pickup back against the chain link fence. Mike Kelley, Mark Gillespie, Ken Lee at ss were so good and Pavlou & them started it all.
Rick Dixon & John McDonald catcherb& Pete White played 2B
Bobby Kocol played RF bunch of rbi’s
Maybe Gillespie played RF it’s been so long ago it’s hard to remember
John Scott 3B
Mike D’ercole ss, pitcher

Something like that for that era

Todd4State
06-15-2022, 12:53 AM

Contrary to popular belief Polk came to MSU in part because of our crowds- not the other way around.

He had Georgia Southern going to regionals in the 1970's- which was a minor baseball miracle. But the school didn't support him. Georgia Southern had been going to regionals at MSU that were hosted at Dudy Noble even though MSU didn't qualify. That's where MSU and Polk first met. A lot of fans and boosters wanted Polk to replace Gregory and I guess the administration got caught up on Bragan's MiLB credentials and the fact that he was a scout that helped identify players for the Big Red Machine. The administration eventually got it right after they realized that Bragan was a train wreck.

Coach34
06-15-2022, 07:47 AM
Del Bender was pretty good too. 1st Bulldog baseball player I remember hearing about as a kid

basedog
06-15-2022, 07:51 AM
Del Bender was pretty good too. 1st Bulldog baseball player I remember hearing about as a kid

Yes he was, before my time but I heard stories about him.

BrunswickDawg
06-15-2022, 07:57 AM
Contrary to popular belief Polk came to MSU in part because of our crowds- not the other way around.

He had Georgia Southern going to regionals in the 1970's- which was a minor baseball miracle. But the school didn't support him. Georgia Southern had been going to regionals at MSU that were hosted at Dudy Noble even though MSU didn't qualify. That's where MSU and Polk first met. A lot of fans and boosters wanted Polk to replace Gregory and I guess the administration got caught up on Bragan's MiLB credentials and the fact that he was a scout that helped identify players for the Big Red Machine. The administration eventually got it right after they realized that Bragan was a train wreck.

Polk didn't just get Ga Southern to Regionals - he got them to the CWS in '73.

basedog
06-15-2022, 08:13 AM
Polk didn't just get Ga Southern to Regionals - he got them to the CWS in '73.

Yes, I don't think most Msu folks realize how much Paul Gregory did to help build Msu baseball program. College baseball was not a popular sport back in his era as our Coach. He brought players in from all over the place.

Cooterpoot
06-15-2022, 08:14 AM
They've also won a western division title in football and some nattys.***

Jack Lambert
06-15-2022, 09:00 AM

No I was talking about his other grand dad, Joe Montania.

BrunswickDawg
06-15-2022, 10:13 AM
No I was talking about his other grand dad, Joe Montania.

I thought he went to Notre Dame.***

tcdog70
06-15-2022, 12:46 PM
Archie Who was a SS.

Brantley Jones beat them to win the SEC while wearing an Archie Who button---and Archie was a SS

tcdog70
06-15-2022, 12:48 PM
Yes, I don't think most Msu folks realize how much Paul Gregory did to help build Msu baseball program. College baseball was not a popular sport back in his era as our Coach. He brought players in from all over the place.

the fact that in1970 after winning the SEC we had to leave Jocko Potts-Bill Rorie -Brantley Jones and Dennis hall at home--that might have been our first natty winner.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2022, 01:01 PM
the fact that in1970 after winning the SEC we had to leave Jocko Potts-Bill Rorie -Brantley Jones and Dennis hall at home--that might have been our first natty winner.

Man those are some names I haven't heard in forever! This thread bringing back some memories!

Commercecomet24
06-15-2022, 01:03 PM

Yeah my daddy and grand daddy talked about Paul a lot. He really was a cornerstone in building what we have today and probably doesn't get enough credit.

basedog
06-15-2022, 02:10 PM
Brantley Jones beat them to win the SEC while wearing an Archie Who button---and Archie was a SS

Brantley Jones had ice in his veins while pitching. He was money!

basedog
06-15-2022, 02:16 PM

Talk about 4 gamers, I suppose you and I are about the only ones on ED really know how much talent we had and great crowds back in those days! I also remember when the first lights were put and attended the first ever night game at the Dudy. I forgot the donors name, but he gave 100K for the lights.

Todd4State
06-15-2022, 10:09 PM
Talk about 4 gamers, I suppose you and I are about the only ones on ED really know how much talent we had and great crowds back in those days! I also remember when the first lights were put and attended the first ever night game at the Dudy. I forgot the donors name, but he gave 100K for the lights.

Dutch McCool was the donor.

Todd4State
06-15-2022, 10:10 PM
Yeah my daddy and grand daddy talked about Paul a lot. He really was a cornerstone in building what we have today and probably doesn't get enough credit.

And Tom D'Armi his top assistant who really doesn't get enough credit.

Coach34
06-15-2022, 10:18 PM

My Dad bought Tom D'Armi's book for me to read. One of my early reads

Coach34
06-15-2022, 10:21 PM

Why? They fail English?

Todd4State
06-16-2022, 12:54 AM
My Dad bought Tom D'Armi's book for me to read. One of my early reads

I have that book as well! It's like the lost testament of Ron Polk's book.

basedog
06-16-2022, 07:31 AM

Big time! He wanted the job, can't recall why he didn't get it.

Btw, he loved the New York Yankees and especially Mickey Mantle.

basedog
06-16-2022, 07:32 AM
Why? They fail English?

No it was a juco ruling. Crazy ruling.

basedog
06-16-2022, 07:33 AM
Dutch McCool was the donor.

Thanks, It was exciting and very cool sitting in the outfield that night when they turned them on.

Todd4State
06-16-2022, 12:47 PM
Big time! He wanted the job, can't recall why he didn't get it.

Btw, he loved the New York Yankees and especially Mickey Mantle.

Let's just say he was too intense for the job.

Yeah- he loved the Yankees. That's why Dudy Noble Field centerfield was listed at 420 like Yankee Stadium.

tcdog70
06-16-2022, 02:20 PM
Why? They fail English?

the SEC at the time allowed freshmen to play but not the NCAA. so because they played some as Freshmen -the dreaded NCAA banned them in 1970 from Gastonia, NC. still had Phill Still-Bobby Croswell-Duck profitt and Whoop stick Henderson.

tcdog70
06-16-2022, 02:22 PM
Thanks, It was exciting and very cool sitting in the outfield that night when they turned them on.

it was against the dog-assed Rebs--many fight occurred in the left field lounge.

tcdog70
06-16-2022, 02:24 PM
Brantley Jones had ice in his veins while pitching. He was money!

i used to have a picture of BJ giving the double bird as he walked off the mound.. Tenn guy wasn't the first to flip the bird.

Schultzy
06-16-2022, 10:55 PM

Very good hitter as a catcher can?t believe I forgot about him.