PDA

View Full Version : If we didn't beat Notre Dame last year......

ImissCityBagel
06-10-2022, 06:55 PM
Would they have won it all? I remember in the supers thinking they were legit...

TNDawg35
06-10-2022, 07:03 PM
I honestly think Texas would have won it. They were legit.

Notre Damn and Texas would have been playing each other to see who would have beaten Vandy. They tried to hand Vandy the title and we were just a little too hot.

TheLostDawg
06-10-2022, 07:13 PM
I honestly think Texas would have won it. They were legit.

Notre Damn and Texas would have been playing each other to see who would have beaten Vandy. They tried to hand Vandy the title and we were just a little too hot.

Agree to all. ND was good last year. I hope they do well this year. Wouldn't hurt my feelings seeing TN lose

StarkVegasSteve
06-10-2022, 07:28 PM
I have been saying this for almost a year. I really believe at the end of the year Notre Dame was the 3rd best team in the country behind us and Texas. That team was absolutely legit and just ran into us in the Supers.

EdwardDrayton
06-10-2022, 07:38 PM
No no no. The storyline is Notre Dame is not that good and thus TN losing is a wonderfully embarrassing humiliation. Work with me here folks.

BiscuitEater
06-10-2022, 07:55 PM
8-5, Bottom 7

Lord McBuckethead
06-10-2022, 08:19 PM
Hope they can hang on and expand that lead.

EdwardDrayton
06-10-2022, 08:39 PM
Notre Dame bangs four HRs and takes Game 1 over TN 8-6.

TN center fielder and also pitching coach ejected in the 5th and thus will be suspended for the game tomorrow.

Vitello can not afford to get tossed in the 5th with his pitching coach already gone and has to STFU.

College baseball is fun again.

redstickdawg
06-10-2022, 08:50 PM
I remember asking who was thought to be the best team that we played and most folks said Texas, I think that ND would have won had we not beaten them.

ImissCityBagel
06-10-2022, 08:50 PM
I'm tellin you, last year, that game felt like an Omaha game

DownwardDawg
06-10-2022, 09:18 PM
Texas was the 2nd best team in the country last year. Our games with them were for the championship.

msstate7
06-10-2022, 09:22 PM
If we playing the what if game, what if NC state hasnt gotten infested with Covid? I still think Covid did us a solid

ETA... I'm certainly not saying we would've lost to NC state. I do think it woulda been a great series. I thought us and nc state were the best 2 teams there at that point.

DownwardDawg
06-10-2022, 09:25 PM
If we playing the what if game, what if NC state hasnt gotten infested with Covid? I still think Covid did us a solid

NC State is who we were all hoping to face. Vandy would have beaten them.

msstate7
06-10-2022, 09:27 PM

Maybe. Vandy beat them 3-1 when they only had 13 players available

Cowbell
06-10-2022, 09:54 PM

No way vandy beats them twice healthy

ImissCityBagel
06-10-2022, 10:24 PM
IMO keeping your kids up to regulation health standards is part of sports. They failed to keep their entire team from COVID. We did the opposite. That sucks for NC State, but they weren't as rigorous as every other team in Omaha.

They knew they were in a COVID year just like everyone else. But didn't isolate infected players, or prevent necessary exposure like every other team from all over the continental US did. These coaches get paid up to millions of dollars. If COVID means you don't win it all, then you need to bend over backwards to prevent your entire roster from being infected.

If you can't field a team....who else is to blame?

ImissCityBagel
06-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Last year we had the bats to pretty much contend with any elite pitcher. Rowdy Jordan was our Jake Mangum (we don't have that this year). Tanner Allen made pitchers scared. Cumbest didn't swing at everything. We were clutch. I have no idea what happened this year, but we desperately need a Rowdey or Mangum. Just somebody that will usually put a ball in play.

msstate7
06-10-2022, 10:34 PM
IMO keeping your kids up to regulation health standards is part of sports. They failed to keep their entire team from COVID. We did the opposite. That sucks for NC State, but they weren't as rigorous as every other team in Omaha.

They knew they were in a COVID year just like everyone else. But didn't isolate infected players, or prevent necessary exposure like every other team from all over the continental US did. These coaches get paid up to millions of dollars. If COVID means you don't win it all, then you need to bend over backwards to prevent your entire roster from being infected.

I didnf say they were at no fault. I think the whole making college age kids getting tested when they aren't sick is dumb though.

PGHBulldogBG
06-11-2022, 11:09 AM
Texas was the 2nd best team in the country last year. Our games with them were for the championship.

No doubt about that. Winner of that was going to be the champion COVID or not

Todd4State
06-11-2022, 02:12 PM

ETA... I'm certainly not saying we would've lost to NC state. I do think it woulda been a great series. I thought us and nc state were the best 2 teams there at that point.

I still think we would have beaten NC State. We had the hottest pitchers in the tournament in Bednar and Sims. Both were literally unhittable.

Harding and Preston were both very good too.

We had enough offense and I think we caught fire with the bats when we got to the finals.

There's always what if's every year in Omaha. We probably win it all in 1985 if we take Morgan out after his injury for example. Probably win it all in 2013 with a healthy Brandon Woodruff too.

So we were due.

Choctaw Dawg
06-12-2022, 09:01 PM

"We did the Opposite" is a little far from the truth. We had a lot of players that were out at bars throughout the entire time the CWS was going on, even after the NC State debacle.

MedDawg
06-13-2022, 10:37 AM

State beat Vandy 13-2 and 9-0 in the last two games to win it all. NC State was not going to beat us in the finals.

Saltydog
06-13-2022, 04:25 PM
I didnf say they were at no fault. I think the whole making college age kids getting tested when they aren't sick is dumb though.

I thought the same thing 7 until my 20 y.o. niece gave it to my 80 y.o. Mother and Father and put them in ICU for two weeks and the hospital for 3 and then a stay in assisted living. They still haven't fully recovered and I doubt they will. It changes your perspective.

DownwardDawg
06-13-2022, 04:46 PM
State beat Vandy 13-2 and 9-0 in the last two games to win it all. NC State was not going to beat us in the finals.

We would have beaten them in 2 games. I was pissed at what happened to them because I wanted Vandy to have to play another game. I never entertained the idea they would beat Vandy.

redstickdawg
06-13-2022, 05:39 PM
If Vandy had to beat NCSU twice, we don't face Leiter and likely take series in 2.

DownwardDawg
06-13-2022, 05:45 PM
If Vandy had to beat NCSU twice, we don't face Leiter and likely take series in 2.

Yep