Coach34
06-09-2022, 09:17 PM
https://twitter.com/wyattwheeler_nl/status/1535018672414248997?s=21

Homedawg
06-09-2022, 09:30 PM
We don't even have a fighting chance against Missouri. Much less blue bloods

KOdawg1
06-09-2022, 09:42 PM
Yikes. College sports are over. They had a good run.

msstate7
06-09-2022, 09:42 PM
Good for him. I'd take an offer like that too

starkvegasdawg
06-09-2022, 09:44 PM
https://twitter.com/wyattwheeler_nl/status/1535018672414248997?s=21

That used to get you lack of institutional control.

msstate7
06-09-2022, 09:45 PM
Yikes. College sports are over. They had a good run.

According to what you want. It's gonna make Cinderella seasons like our 2014 extinct, but I think it's gonna make it extremely difficult for bama to just continue dominating. Once richer programs figure out they can buy a championship legally, they will. This will create some parity among the Haves... not such a great deal for us Have Nots

Todd4State
06-09-2022, 10:01 PM
Surely we could have paid him 250K. It sounds like the house and car may have been a deal breaker. This probably goes back to MSU being late to organize.

Homedawg
06-09-2022, 10:06 PM
Surely we could have paid him 250K. It sounds like the house and car may have been a deal breaker. This probably goes back to MSU being late to organize.
That nil $ not counting what's under the table. Which still happens. So no we couldn't

Irondawg
06-09-2022, 10:09 PM
And this is the type of stuff that ADs will hopefully eventually fix as that?s not NIL related in what was intended. It?s not selling tshirts or signed basketballs.

I think eventually what you are going to see is an NIL department where each school had a compliance officer and all NIL deals have to be approved through the larger entity.

Certain things will be restricted. That?s going to be a long list and it will take a lot of attempts and amendments to get it right.

None of it will matter though if they can?t agree to strict penalties for buying recruits or having contact with existing players before they enter the portal

Schultzy
06-09-2022, 10:36 PM
And this is the type of stuff that ADs will hopefully eventually fix as that?s not NIL related in what was intended. It?s not selling tshirts or signed basketballs.

I think eventually what you are going to see is an NIL department where each school had a compliance officer and all NIL deals have to be approved through the larger entity.

Certain things will be restricted. That?s going to be a long list and it will take a lot of attempts and amendments to get it right.

None of it will matter though if they can?t agree to strict penalties for buying recruits or having contact with existing players before they enter the portal
Strict penalties for buying recruits!!??? We?ve had that for years but for who??? Whoever is at the whim of the NCAA that?s who. You cant ever trust them to ever properly decide who gets investigated.

Theyre not even equipped to make investigations or to even know how to properly conduct one, they?ve proven that.

Bdawg
06-09-2022, 11:40 PM
We better just keep loading the wagon for baseball. It's the only thing we stand a chance at winning in.

Todd4State
06-10-2022, 01:55 AM
That nil $ not counting what's under the table. Which still happens. So no we couldn't

I see. I don't understand why people would do that with NIL though.

EdwardDrayton
06-10-2022, 07:04 AM
Must not have been enough $initiative$ in The Bulldog Initiative. :)

Ranchdawg
06-10-2022, 07:40 AM
We better just keep loading the wagon for baseball. It's the only thing we stand a chance at winning in.

But for how much longer? The haves like Tam, Texas will just outbid us with NIL deals that we can?t touch. It?s already happening at Tam in football. Jimbo just purchased the best, on paper, recruiting class ever for Tam. This is really the nail in coffin for us have nots and for college sports in general. And it really does piss me off because college sports is something I really enjoy. Not now!

basedog
06-10-2022, 07:41 AM
It's just ridiculous IMO for college sports. I imagine it's gonna create a mess for coaches and the locker room want be equal with a bunch of players. Wait till some unknown beats out someone like Mosely, I suppose money will override what coaches will do.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2022, 08:09 AM
17 it. Move on. Not many kids are worth that. And half of those will fail because they'll party it up and blow all that money.

Homedawg
06-10-2022, 08:12 AM
I see. I don't understand why people would do that with NIL though.

It's still "expected".

Thick
06-10-2022, 08:36 AM
The problem is simply this?..WE are trying to raise $3mm for NIL deals. The same people that are already big supporters to the Bulldog Club and MSU in general are being asked to give more for NOTHING in return. This NIL is going to crush us, and when the product goes south so does support. The fan base will stop bc the cost outweighs the results vs SEC opponents. Attendance will continue to struggle. There?s no level playing field in college athletics, and it?s going to get worse now. Kids will take the money for a year or 2 then hit the portal and get a new deal from a new school. I hope it all burns down to the ground, and takes no prisoners when it does. All of these players getting this money better get their taxes in order, bc the IRS is looming in the background. Nobody screws Uncle Sam out of his cut!!!

BuckyIsAB****
06-10-2022, 08:37 AM
I really hope from the bottom of my heart thats not true.

These sports are dead. Feels like im in denial not wanting to believe it

EdwardDrayton
06-10-2022, 08:52 AM
This has been happening in football behind the curtain for awhile. College baseball has been the closest thing to truly amateur sport we have and now unfortunately it’s dead as we’ve known it. Sad times.

Goldendawg
06-10-2022, 11:13 AM
My family has been season ticket holders and Bulldog Club members for over 50 years. Most of these years in football have always been "wait till next year". We came close to dropping from 8 to 2 season tickets for this year. It has been tough enough trying to compete as it was. I refuse to continue to pay $ to watch us and others become the Washington Generals vs. the Harlem Globetrotters. We know that outcome. Will watch at home, maybe.

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2022, 11:32 AM
The problem is simply this?..WE are trying to raise $3mm for NIL deals. The same people that are already big supporters to the Bulldog Club and MSU in general are being asked to give more for NOTHING in return. This NIL is going to crush us, and when the product goes south so does support. The fan base will stop bc the cost outweighs the results vs SEC opponents. Attendance will continue to struggle. There?s no level playing field in college athletics, and it?s going to get worse now. Kids will take the money for a year or 2 then hit the portal and get a new deal from a new school. I hope it all burns down to the ground, and takes no prisoners when it does. All of these players getting this money better get their taxes in order, bc the IRS is looming in the background. Nobody screws Uncle Sam out of his cut!!!

Not only that - how many of these "initiatives" and "collectives" will wind up being people who are looking to make their own buck? I know for a fact that supporters who started one of these for an SEC football program are taking a 20% cut to pay themselves for the "work" they are doing to facilitate NIL deals. These are guys who don't need the money and are already "all in" with the program. With no controls on these things, you wind up with the college football version of a SuperPAC supporting the purchase of a luxury suite and season tickets instead of students.

It's all shady as hell.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2022, 11:36 AM
This has been happening in football behind the curtain for awhile. College baseball has been the closest thing to truly amateur sport we have and now unfortunately it?s dead as we?ve known it. Sad times.

A&M never dropped millions on a class behind the curtain. You're going to see teams like them take off now. Teams like us are going to be the USMs of P5.

MetEdDawg
06-10-2022, 11:38 AM
There has been pushback from folks saying that money was not an issue for us and that regardless of that, it's not an issue and we should still be able to get talent.

Now that folks see how quickly some universities mobilized NIL and how much these kids are legally able to get, I hope those dissenters realize that we are seeing the legal version of what was going on illegally for some time.

We don't have the funding, resources, or disposable income to get players in 2 of the 3 major sports. Period. Until we come up with millions more dollars annually, we aren't going to be competing in football or basketball anytime soon.

That's the truth and sometimes the truth sucks. But it's where we are at right now in the current climate.

gtowndawg
06-10-2022, 11:54 AM
Not great Bob.

99jc
06-10-2022, 12:38 PM
There has been pushback from folks saying that money was not an issue for us and that regardless of that, it's not an issue and we should still be able to get talent.

Now that folks see how quickly some universities mobilized NIL and how much these kids are legally able to get, I hope those dissenters realize that we are seeing the legal version of what was going on illegally for some time.

We don't have the funding, resources, or disposable income to get players in 2 of the 3 major sports. Period. Until we come up with millions more dollars annually, we aren't going to be competing in football or basketball anytime soon.

That's the truth and sometimes the truth sucks. But it's where we are at right now in the current climate.

not referring to you metedddawg
We have the alumni with the 17ing money why do all say we poor ole msu. The problem is WE ARE NOT ORGANIZED! We need to Shut the 17 up abut no money.

basedog
06-10-2022, 02:32 PM
A&M never dropped millions on a class behind the curtain. You're going to see teams like them take off now. Teams like us are going to be the USMs of P5.

We are just that already in the Sec, not everyone in the Sec is gonna be like the Aggies. Regardless life will go on for Msu, maybe like it always has been, hope we make a Bowl game every year in football, just make the Ncaa basketball tourney, but be competitive in Baseball.

Maroonthirteen
06-10-2022, 02:37 PM
I still say those with money and "all in" will pull back on these investments when they see the investments are no guarantee.

$250k per year and a house, huh? Let's watch this guy and Missouri basketball and see what happens.

basedog
06-10-2022, 02:53 PM
I still say those with money and "all in" will pull back on these investments when they see the investments are no guarantee.

$250k per year and a house, huh? Let's watch this guy and Missouri basketball and see what happens.

Exactly, overpaying is happening now, but in time this should correct itself. Obviously, Missouri must think he will a MJ, Larry bird or Kareem difference maker* As far as a rental house and car for a year, no big deal, but the $250K is serious money for a college athlete.

EdwardDrayton
06-10-2022, 06:21 PM

Yeah. They paid Jimbo $75 million and then said that’s where we draw the line. ****

Maroonthirteen
06-10-2022, 08:10 PM
Yeah. They paid Jimbo $75 million and then said that’s where we draw the line. ****

For real. Ain't no way athletes go to that weird school with out a whole lot of incentive.

IMissJack
06-10-2022, 09:04 PM
The problem is, our average fan gives NOTHING. They don’t join the BC, they don’t give $10 bucks the whole year. They just bitch about our teams. We have over 150,000 alumni living, and last time I checked, under 15,000 in the BC. Maybe a few more in it now, I don’t know. That is not a good percentage for anything.

msstate7
06-10-2022, 09:20 PM
The problem is, our average fan gives NOTHING. They don’t join the BC, they don’t give $10 bucks the whole year. They just bitch about our teams. We have over 150,000 alumni living, and last time I checked, under 15,000 in the BC. Maybe a few more in it now, I don’t know. That is not a good percentage for anything.

As far as this subject though, it's this irrelevant or does the BC give NIL deals?

Schultzy
06-10-2022, 09:23 PM
This has been happening in football behind the curtain for awhile. College baseball has been the closest thing to truly amateur sport we have and now unfortunately it?s dead as we?ve known it. Sad times.

We won the last amateur team sport national championship ever.

IMissJack
06-10-2022, 09:29 PM
As far as this subject though, it's this irrelevant or does the BC give NIL deals?

No they don’t. But it is a good indication of giving for the good guys for the past 50 years. We are overly dependent on SEC money.

OLJWales
06-11-2022, 04:30 AM

We don't lose players over cars. John Bond sez "hold my beer"

maroonmania
06-11-2022, 08:57 AM
No they don?t. But it is a good indication of giving for the good guys for the past 50 years. We are overly dependent on SEC money.

Yep, we are going to end up with a huge athletic budget from being in the SEC but not many players worth a flip because of being totally outspent in the NIL market. The whole NIL thing is becoming a total auction for recruits. The concept was supposed to be for players that already had worth getting paid to do something off of their name, image or likeness that was in line with the market value of doing that. Its all gone to hell in a hand basket though. For example, what is Mosley (who most people have no clue who he even is) going to do that would be in line with a market value of a quarter of a million dollars plus use of a car and house or whatever else they threw in? What a mess! And apparently nobody anywhere is even considering actually enforcing the rules.

Offshore Dawg
06-11-2022, 03:00 PM
not referring to you metedddawg
We have the alumni with the 17ing money why do all say we poor ole msu. The problem is WE ARE NOT ORGANIZED! We need to Shut the 17 up abut no money.

Not everyone wants to spend their money on players.

Maroonthirteen
06-11-2022, 04:32 PM
My guess, you're about to see an athletic budge in which the ncaa/sec tv money is 90% of the revenue and donor donations at 1% or less.

2021: MSU total rev of $113. Ncaa/sec tv $82. Donors $15
2015: (after #1 and Dak) total revenue $75. Ncaa/sec tv $32. Donors $17

Those donor donations are such a small percentage now. Ask donors to Move those funds to nil.

Bothrops
06-12-2022, 08:53 PM
We should have cared about football in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. We had decades to figure out that football success was a good thing. When we finally did, it was almost too late. Now it appears that it is.

Jack Lambert
06-13-2022, 09:19 AM
No way I would contribute where the cost of living is today. I have to put family first. I did buy season tickets. Can't do anything else.

IMissJack
06-13-2022, 09:32 AM
No way I would contribute where the cost of living is today. I have to put family first. I did buy season tickets. Can't do anything else.

Absolutely, that is priority, especially in this economy.

IMissJack
06-13-2022, 09:39 AM

Who are we contacting to give for NIL purposes? I'm not as connected as I used to be, but used to be very active in the Alumni Assoc., etc. I know a lot of people in that leadership or former leadership, and have been in the BC for 30 years. I don't give huge amounts, but have given steadily and had tickets for long enough to be around top 15% in BC points. I don't know a single person that has been contacted for NIL giving, and I have not. Who is organizing this thing? It seems like we don't publicize it nearly enough.