PDA

View Full Version : Southern miss baseball

TheLostDawg
06-06-2022, 05:16 PM
Who is evaluating their talent. Seems they always have under the radar guys that produce big.

TheLostDawg
06-06-2022, 05:17 PM
That and/or they are getting the most out of their guys

Pancho
06-06-2022, 05:17 PM
Who is evaluating their talent. Seems they always have under the radar guys that produce big.

Coach Berry

Percho
06-06-2022, 05:21 PM
Coach Berry

I like him.

HoopsDawg
06-06-2022, 05:56 PM
I wonder if they take players later in the process? Meaning juniors and seniors in high school instead of 8th-10th graders

KOdawg1
06-06-2022, 06:14 PM
Hope they beat OM in the super regional

Activated Alpha
06-06-2022, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing S. Miss in the CWS. Now I will say that Okie State is going to be hard to beat if they can make it. Actually wouldn't mind them winning it all. Them or Oregon State

Homedawg
06-06-2022, 07:11 PM
I wonder if they take players later in the process? Meaning juniors and seniors in high school instead of 8th-10th graders

They took a kid From Starkville high as a 10th grader. Can't speak for the rest....

Pancho
06-06-2022, 07:15 PM
They do take high school juniors and seniors. Their recruits aren't as high profile and are generally later bloomers in high school and also tend to be more blue collar type players than the typical SEC recruit.

AlSwearengen
06-06-2022, 07:35 PM
Do ya’ll want to be usm? They are trying to make their 2nd CWS EVER.

Pancho
06-06-2022, 07:54 PM
might check back in 2 years and see how Lemo looks in june of 24

Coach34
06-06-2022, 08:16 PM

They have what- 1/3 our budget? I can assure they dont have the state of the art pitching complex we have, facilities, or anything else we have.

They are in a Super and we didnt make the SEC Tourney. They pissed on us this year H2H. Give them their due.

Coach34
06-06-2022, 08:17 PM
might check back in 2 years and see how Lemo looks in june of 24

This. We have alot of work to fix our roster ahead of us

LC Dawg
06-06-2022, 08:27 PM
They have what- 1/3 our budget? I can assure they dont have the state of the art pitching complex we have, facilities, or anything else we have.

They are in a Super and we didnt make the SEC Tourney. They pissed on us this year H2H. Give them their due.

I agree. Berry has a good program down in Hattiesburg.
And they are the only thing between Ole Miss and Omaha so I'm a huge Golden Eagle fan next weekend.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-06-2022, 08:28 PM

Nobody is saying they'd trade baseball programs. But, at the end of the day, we suck this year and they are good, despite having way less resources and recruiting ranking success. Any intelligent person would want to know what they are doing better than us this season

basedog
06-06-2022, 09:05 PM
Nobody is saying they'd trade baseball programs. But, at the end of the day, we suck this year and they are good, despite having way less resources and recruiting ranking success. Any intelligent person would want to know what they are doing better than us this season

Stability with Berry. He has been at Usm a while. Good players in that area also.

HoopsDawg
06-06-2022, 09:32 PM
They do take high school juniors and seniors. Their recruits aren't as high profile and are generally later bloomers in high school and also tend to be more blue collar type players than the typical SEC recruit.

that's kind of what I assumed. Those type of kids usually have a chip on their shoulder from being overlooked and a lot of times are tougher.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2022, 11:26 PM
Nm

Cooterpoot
06-06-2022, 11:27 PM
They won a regional. It's not like they're regularly in the CWS. I see nothing special. They're recruited a better staff. We've got Foxhall.

Todd4State
06-06-2022, 11:49 PM
Talk about prisoner of the moment.

1. We should stop recruiting players that are younger than juniors? We just went to five straight Super Regionals, won the SEC once, went to Omaha three years in a row and won a National Championship with players that we recruited from 8th grade on up. But one bad year from us where our pitching was decimated by injuries and we should start following USM's blueprint? LOL. Where were our fans who thought the USM way was the way for us to go the past few years? Probably sitting watching us play in Omaha while USM was at home waiting for their players to develop into upperclassmen after they got bounced from a regional. Oh by the way USM does recruit players that are younger than juniors. In fact we flipped one of them and he was their highest rated recruit in years.

2. They're in a somewhat precarious position with the portal. Meaning in the past if we misevaluated a player we couldn't come back and get Brian Dozier for his junior year. That's not the case anymore- and in fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up getting a pitcher or two from them. That's going to be an issue for them going forward.

3. Ole Miss is in an awkward position with Bianco no matter what happens. There is a good chance they are looking for a new coach soon. If he gets them to Omaha he could probably stay another two years if he wanted to.

4. Our next three recruiting classes are ranked in the top 8. We'll be fine. But next year is going to be based on how well we do in the portal. Lemonis knows this. They also know that one more year like this and we're looking for a new pitching and hitting coach. They're essentially coaching for their jobs and we will be a team with a chip on it's shoulder. Unlike this year. I'm expecting us to be a completely different team next year. Unless we completely flame out on the portal which I doubt we will.

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2022, 01:26 AM
Delete

CovertDawg
06-07-2022, 06:20 AM
If they get Tanner Hall and Hurston Waldrep back next year then they should be a National Seed. Jay Johnson said Dollander from TN and Waldrep were "easily" the best two pitchers they faced all year.

AlSwearengen
06-07-2022, 06:37 AM
Talk about prisoner of the moment.

1. We should stop recruiting players that are younger than juniors? We just went to five straight Super Regionals, won the SEC once, went to Omaha three years in a row and won a National Championship with players that we recruited from 8th grade on up. But one bad year from us where our pitching was decimated by injuries and we should start following USM's blueprint? LOL. Where were our fans who thought the USM way was the way for us to go the past few years? Probably sitting watching us play in Omaha while USM was at home waiting for their players to develop into upperclassmen after they got bounced from a regional. Oh by the way USM does recruit players that are younger than juniors. In fact we flipped one of them and he was their highest rated recruit in years.

2. They're in a somewhat precarious position with the portal. Meaning in the past if we misevaluated a player we couldn't come back and get Brian Dozier for his junior year. That's not the case anymore- and in fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up getting a pitcher or two from them. That's going to be an issue for them going forward.

3. Ole Miss is in an awkward position with Bianco no matter what happens. There is a good chance they are looking for a new coach soon. If he gets them to Omaha he could probably stay another two years if he wanted to.

4. Our next three recruiting classes are ranked in the top 8. We'll be fine. But next year is going to be based on how well we do in the portal. Lemonis knows this. They also know that one more year like this and we're looking for a new pitching and hitting coach. They're essentially coaching for their jobs and we will be a team with a chip on it's shoulder. Unlike this year. I'm expecting us to be a completely different team next year. Unless we completely flame out on the portal which I doubt we will.

Good post Todd.

Todd4State
06-07-2022, 07:59 AM
If they get Tanner Hall and Hurston Waldrep back next year then they should be a National Seed. Jay Johnson said Dollander from TN and Waldrep were "easily" the best two pitchers they faced all year.

That's assuming:

1. They don't leave via the portal.

2. USM doesn't take a step back from being patted on the back.

3. And as we saw this year- stay healthy.

Odds are high one of those things happen and pretty high that two of the three happen.

Captain Falcon
06-07-2022, 08:36 AM
They returned a lot of position guys from last year but keep in mind that USM had to replace their entire rotation and their best reliever from a year ago. Hall and Waldrep were sophomores that took a big step forward. Their Sunday guy, Riggins, is also good and they brought him in as a grad transfer from Delta State.

Berry is a really underrated coach. They took a bit of a step back in the mid 2010?s but have been no worse than a 2 seed every year since 2016 and hosted twice. Now have a legit chance to get to Omaha. USM is easy to poke fun at sometimes but they?re a very respectable baseball program.

Cooterpoot
06-07-2022, 11:24 AM
Ostrander is a good coach. He's improved their pitching a ton since arriving. He was good at the Juco level too. I wish we had offered a couple pitchers they signed this round.
USM has had some solid assistant coaches.

was21
06-07-2022, 01:09 PM
What is Berry's salary? How much money does his assistants make? How much does Lemonins make? How much does Geautreaux and Foxhall make?

NCDawg
06-07-2022, 01:09 PM
I agree. Berry has a good program down in Hattiesburg.
And they are the only thing between Ole Miss and Omaha so I'm a huge Golden Eagle fan next weekend.

Yeah. we can't stand prosperity. Win the National Championship and then can't even make the SEC tourney the next year. Lemonis has his work cut for him ahead fixing this team.

TheLostDawg
06-07-2022, 03:07 PM
Good post Todd.

Yes but completely missed the point of the post. It's about what they've done right and how they evaluate talent. With a quarter our budget, etc they consistently get the most of their players and find diamond in the ruff much like Mullen did. This wasn't a post to talk crap about our staff/players

TheLostDawg
06-07-2022, 03:10 PM
Aka props to them. Let's keep doing what we're doing right and pick up what they are that we aren't-- even if that's stealing a coach or player now that the restrictions are changed/ changing with baseball

Cooterpoot
06-07-2022, 03:16 PM
They've made two supers EVER. One CWS EVER. It's been 13 yrs since they won a regional. They're getting about what a lot of teams get out of a low budget and bad conference.

TheLostDawg
06-07-2022, 04:19 PM
They've made two supers EVER. One CWS EVER. It's been 13 yrs since they won a regional. They're getting about what a lot of teams get out of a low budget and bad conference.

If you think they haven't been competitive the last few years then you haven't been paying attention

Goldendawg
06-07-2022, 05:13 PM
More salt to the wound, USM vs. OM for Omaha & we couldn't even make Hoover after a National Championship! Oh well, here's to a very good year in FB. Hail State!

Todd4State
06-07-2022, 11:01 PM
Yes but completely missed the point of the post. It's about what they've done right and how they evaluate talent. With a quarter our budget, etc they consistently get the most of their players and find diamond in the ruff much like Mullen did. This wasn't a post to talk crap about our staff/players

My point is it's apple and oranges because you're comparing a SEC blueblood program to a good mid major program. It would be like Alabama having a ton of injuries including to their top two QB's and RB's and going 5-7 a year after winning the National Championship while UAB goes 11-1 and crashes one of the BCS bowls and asking what UAB is doing better than Alabama.

Both teams build their teams differently. What you are seeing is USM having a lot of veteran players performing well at their peak after a few years of development. Some of them are COVID sophomores. USM has to take players that are under the radar and develop them to succeed. That works fine in the Sun Belt. In the SEC that's going to look like our 2011 team. And sure, doing that they can compete with SEC teams 5-6 times a year especially with saavy scheduling- I believe they pitched their ace during our midweek game. But over the long haul their style wouldn't work at the level we expect over 30 games.

I don't think our "problem" is evaluating talent as much as it was pitchers staying healthy. Remember every player that USM was not only passed on by MSU- but also by Ole Miss and every other SEC team too.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2022, 12:48 AM
This is usm'a shot. They been building for this year. They're gonna lose a lot off this team so this is their shot to see how far they can go.

Todd4State
06-08-2022, 01:02 AM
Ostrander is a good coach. He's improved their pitching a ton since arriving. He was good at the Juco level too. I wish we had offered a couple pitchers they signed this round.
USM has had some solid assistant coaches.

That's another thing too. Their assistants are going to get opportunities to either be head coaches or coach in the SEC. Creel may stay since he's an alum unless it's a head coaching job. Ostrander used to be the pitching coach at Alabama. He's SEC caliber for sure. Would absolutely trade him for Foxhall right now without any shame.

This is usm'a shot. They been building for this year. They're gonna lose a lot off this team so this is their shot to see how far they can go.

Yep. And that's the difference I'm talking about. When they're just going to regionals as a three seed or whatever no one on this board is saying we should look at what they're doing or however they want to phrase it. This team will be unique for them too because it's right at the beginning of the portal/NIL era and I think they're going to have to adjust their model. Those two starting pitchers that they have that are sophomores could very easily be pitching in the SEC for someone next year. We certainly could get Storm from them if we want to. Montenegro is their version of Tanner Allen and he's a senior. It's going to be a lot harder for them to build a team going forward like this. They're going to likely have to rely on transfers from SEC schools like Luke Reynolds. And then the Sun Belt scholarship situation is an unknown as well. If they only have 25 scholarships to use and MSU/Ole Miss have 30 that could be a disadvantage as well. We'll see.

CadaverDawg
06-08-2022, 07:02 AM
Ostrander is why they are making this run. He is one hell of a developer of arms. USM needs to beat Ole Miss and capitalize on this run, because I don't see any chance of Ostrander not being hired away this offseason. Hell, I wish we had him...dude can coach. And I'm not even on the fire Foxhall wagon...I just think Ostrander is THAT good of a coach. Kudos to Berry for making the Ostrander hire, which in my opinion is what has taken them from the typical USM that is slightly above average, and elevated them to a Top 15-20 team this year.

basedog
06-08-2022, 07:45 AM
Whoever wins the first game I think wins. Buzzards have the advantage especially with their Ace on the mound. But Ole Dixie is pretty hot to say the least, all bout clutch hitting I say.

Todd4State
06-08-2022, 08:09 AM
Ostrander is why they are making this run. He is one hell of a developer of arms. USM needs to beat Ole Miss and capitalize on this run, because I don't see any chance of Ostrander not being hired away this offseason. Hell, I wish we had him...dude can coach. And I'm not even on the fire Foxhall wagon...I just think Ostrander is THAT good of a coach. Kudos to Berry for making the Ostrander hire, which in my opinion is what has taken them from the typical USM that is slightly above average, and elevated them to a Top 15-20 team this year.

I agree. And as I said Ostrander has coached at Alabama so he is SEC caliber. He has been successful everywhere going back to Delta State. For them to sustain their success they are going to have to be able to absorb losing their assistants at some point because they're not going to be able to keep them if they keep going to Super Regionals and maybe Omaha.

State82
06-08-2022, 08:57 AM
Whoever wins the first game I think wins. Buzzards have the advantage especially with their Ace on the mound. But Ole Dixie is pretty hot to say the least, all bout clutch hitting I say.
I wonder if USM goes with Hall on 4 days rest or Waldrep/Riggins on Saturday?

CadaverDawg
06-08-2022, 09:02 AM
I wonder if USM goes with Hall on 4 days rest or Waldrep/Riggins on Saturday?

Hall hasn't been quite as sharp lately, but I bet Berry starts him anyway. He seems to be one of those "dance with the one that brung ya" types that isnt wanting to make too many changes to something that has been working. But with their arm depth, it might not be a bad idea to give him an extra day and have Hall rolling out there either in a big elimination game or in a chance to punch their ticket to Omaha.

I think I'd go Waldrep, personally. But I fully expect Hall to start.

basedog
06-08-2022, 04:18 PM
I think you go with your best which is Hall. It's gonna be hot and whoever has the middle and closer in the pen will be a huge difference maker.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2022, 05:09 PM
I think you go with your best which is Hall. It's gonna be hot and whoever has the middle and closer in the pen will be a huge difference maker.

Usm has a huge pitching advantage and the hitting is pretty equal. Usm should win it based on pitching but Berry and Bianco both struggle managing in the post season.

Coach34
06-08-2022, 08:36 PM
Bunko is 1-6 in Supers. He is what he is. Go with the Nasty Bunch

basedog
06-08-2022, 09:05 PM
Like I said before, should be interesting regional.

Commercecomet24
06-08-2022, 09:12 PM
Like I said before, should be interesting regional.

Yep and probably with a lot of chippiness. It should be very entertaining.

basedog
06-08-2022, 09:51 PM
Yep and probably with a lot of chippiness. It should be very entertaining.

Gotta think this is both Ole Dixie and Buzzards World Series.

I also give the Buzzards a very slight edge. What little I know of Hall but the dude is a competitor and awesome strike thrower. Wish we had him.

CadaverDawg
06-09-2022, 05:11 PM
Waldrep is starting Game 1. Tanner Hall game 2. Smart strategy

State82
06-09-2022, 09:22 PM

I think that is definitely the way to maximize the staff.

Captain Falcon
06-09-2022, 09:36 PM

If it goes to a Game 3 I think USM has a big edge with Riggins versus Diamond. But Hall and Waldrep are both really good. And OM has had big issues with good pitching.

The series probably comes down to OM?s pitching against USM?s offense. Delucia and Elliott are not world beaters but both can be effective. And USM?s offense is pretty up and down.

Todd4State
06-10-2022, 02:04 AM
If it goes to a Game 3 I think USM has a big edge with Riggins versus Diamond. But Hall and Waldrep are both really good. And OM has had big issues with good pitching.

The series probably comes down to OM?s pitching against USM?s offense. Delucia and Elliott are not world beaters but both can be effective. And USM?s offense is pretty up and down.

Ole Miss may go with McDaniel in game three as he did well against USM.

Todd4State
06-10-2022, 02:05 AM
Usm has a huge pitching advantage and the hitting is pretty equal. Usm should win it based on pitching but Berry and Bianco both struggle managing in the post season.

I like USM too. Because of the pitching and the home field advantage.

FoggyBottom
06-11-2022, 07:04 PM
Man, that first game was boring . . . . . .

basedog
06-11-2022, 07:58 PM

Well, Usm didn’t handle the pressure. I thought or did think they had slight advantage but not anymore. I like Hall,s chances Sunday, but IF Usm doesn’t hit want matter. Lastly, I’m not surprised Ole Dixie won, like I’ve been saying they are a hot team playing well.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Well, Usm didn’t handle the pressure. I thought or did think they had slight advantage but not anymore. I like Hall,s chances Sunday, but IF Usm doesn’t hit want matter. Lastly, I’m not surprised Ole Dixie won, like I’ve been saying they are a hot team playing well.

Berry mismanaged the game early. Waldrep was never right after he got hit on the ankle. Lost his command and when he walked the first 2 hitters in the third on 8 pitches he should've known he was done. They let it get away from them. If usm wins tomorrow then advantage will swing back to them and they still have more pitching but berry will find a way to screw it up he's known for that in postseason it's why they don't make it to Omaha and this is the best team he's had.

basedog
06-11-2022, 10:04 PM
Berry mismanaged the game early. Waldrep was never right after he got hit on the ankle. Lost his command and when he walked the first 2 hitters in the third on 8 pitches he should've known he was done. They let it get away from them. If usm wins tomorrow then advantage will swing back to them and they still have more pitching but berry will find a way to screw it up he's known for that in postseason it's why they don't make it to Omaha and this is the best team he's had.

I hope you are right, Usm is so up and down lately swinging the bats. Ole Dixie has a lot of confidence right now.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2022, 10:05 PM
I hope you are right, Usm is so up and down lately swinging the bats. Ole Dixie has a lot of confidence right now.

Yeah I'm pulling for usm but I think berry will screw it up and om will take the series. I have no confidence in berry decision making in post season and a lot of eagle fans feel the same way.

basedog
06-11-2022, 10:16 PM
Yeah I'm pulling for usm but I think berry will screw it up and om will take the series. I have no confidence in berry decision making in post season and a lot of eagle fans feel the same way.

Bianca is not so good in post season decisions either.

I’m with u on pulling for the Buzzards. Hall is a competitor, I think he wins Sunday, I would have started him today.

Hambone
06-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Ole Miss hasn’t lost at Southern yet this year. Their going to Omaha

Schultzy
06-11-2022, 10:29 PM
Replay clearly showed that grand slam to put USM up 4-3 was fair.

I can’t believe no one is taking about this.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2022, 10:33 PM
Replay clearly showed that grand slam to put USM up 4-3 was fair.

I can’t believe no one is taking about this.

No when they slowed it down it clearly showed it was foul absolutely 100% foul. The ball passed in front of the pole. I thought it was fair at first to but it wasn't. Foul ball

Commercecomet24
06-11-2022, 10:35 PM
Bianca is not so good in post season decisions either.

I’m with u on pulling for the Buzzards. Hall is a competitor, I think he wins Sunday, I would have started him today.

Lol yeah neither is a great post season coach. I would've started Hall today too. Om has momentum let's see is usm can do what they did against lsu.

Schultzy
06-11-2022, 10:37 PM
No when they slowed it down it clearly showed it was foul absolutely 100% foul. The ball passed in front of the pole. I thought it was fair at first to but it wasn't. Foul ball

Am I completely blind? That ball totally disappeared behind the pole to my vision. Every time on replay.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2022, 10:38 PM
Am I completely blind? That ball totally disappeared behind the pole to my vision.

No it blended in with the colors of the pole. I thought exactly as you did at first but when they blew up the video and slowed it down you could clearly see the ball passing in front of the pole

Todd4State
06-12-2022, 02:46 AM
Well, Usm didn?t handle the pressure. I thought or did think they had slight advantage but not anymore. I like Hall,s chances Sunday, but IF Usm doesn?t hit want matter. Lastly, I?m not surprised Ole Dixie won, like I?ve been saying they are a hot team playing well.

I just feel like USM is in over their head right now. They had a great season and now they have everyone patting their backs and I think their players "realize" how big this is. As a result they're taking bad at bats and are just trying to do too much. I see it happen all the time to teams who "take a step" but don't win a championship and aren't really quite ready to "take the next step". Essentially what happened to MSU when we played UCLA in 2013 for the National Championship.

It's why team in baseball that win the World Series, National Championships, heck... high school championships...they're usually teams that have experience in the postseason and have been there before. And yes, I know USM went to Omaha in 2009. But what I mean is with this current group of players. It's not a coincidence that we won the National Championship after being in Omaha three times in a row.

USM is a team that dog piled after winning a regional. And this is their first Super Regional that they have ever hosted in their history. I should have taken that into account when making my predictions for this series.

Add in their air out of the balloon moment with the foul ball grand slam even though it was the right call it was absolutely deflating for them. Same thing happened to them when they completely fell apart against us when we played them and they dropped Rooker's pop up. Had that ball been fair it would have given USM a 1 run lead and then who knows what happens? It wasn't fair so they weren't able to get any momentum and they folded.

Cooterpoot
06-12-2022, 08:14 AM
OM has beaten USM two of three games this year. Twice in H'burg. USM starting pitching is all they've got. I never thought they'd win, but hoped they would. They can't hit at all. OM will need a wheels fall off moment, like they normally do in supers, for USM to have a shot.

Todd4State
06-12-2022, 09:50 PM
OM has beaten USM two of three games this year. Twice in H'burg. USM starting pitching is all they've got. I never thought they'd win, but hoped they would. They can't hit at all. OM will need a wheels fall off moment, like they normally do in supers, for USM to have a shot.

Ironically given the first post of this thread we did better against Ole Miss this year than USM did- in Oxford no less. And that's partially because we pitched our damn shortstop in one game.

ImissCityBagel
06-13-2022, 08:47 AM
Ole Miss hasn?t lost at Southern yet this year. Their going to Omaha

But apparently Cohen rigs the post season