PDA

View Full Version : Somebody talk to me

starkvegasdawg
06-05-2022, 10:14 PM
My 12 year old son took this pic last week about 100 yards from my house and I live about two miles outside the Starkville city limits. That's his footprint just below the track for scale. Track is probably 6-7" long and about 4" wide at the toes. Any thoughts to an ID? I've been racking my wildlife degree knowledge and the only thing I can come up with I really didn't think inhabited this area. I sent it to MDWFP earlier and hope to hear from them tomorrow, but I'm impatient. For the record, I did not see the track. He finally remembered to tell me about it this evening and by now it's gone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUiChvPWAAUrbwR?format=jpg&name=large

preachermatt83
06-05-2022, 11:15 PM
Bear maybe

Commercecomet24
06-05-2022, 11:21 PM
I'm thinking it's a large black bear.

starkvegasdawg
06-05-2022, 11:36 PM
Bear is what my mind is going to, but not in this part of the state and this close to town. Granted, I'm in a wooded area and I've seen coyotes, fox, and deer, etc in my yard but bear never crossed my mind. One thing, though, is I had noticed that once it gets dark my 12lbs yorkiepoo dog has been terrified to go outside for that one last grass watering. He used to never even hesitate but the last week or so we have literally had to sig him out from under the nearest piece of furniture and take him outside and then stand with him. I'm starting to wonder if he has sensed a large predator in the area.

Commercecomet24
06-05-2022, 11:44 PM
Bear is what my mind is going to, but not in this part of the state and this close to town. Granted, I'm in a wooded area and I've seen coyotes, fox, and deer, etc in my yard but bear never crossed my mind. One thing, though, is I had noticed that once it gets dark my 12lbs yorkiepoo dog has been terrified to go outside for that one last grass watering. He used to never even hesitate but the last week or so we have literally had to sig him out from under the nearest piece of furniture and take him outside and then stand with him. I'm starting to wonder if he has sensed a large predator in the area.

Gotta be a bear or Bigfoot.

PCHSDawg
06-06-2022, 03:02 AM
Down here in Perry County, not too far from Hattiesburg/Petal area a friend of my wife's had to have a black bear relocated because he was hanging out in her backyard. MDWFP tagged and relocated him, he managed to find his way back. Guess they moved him a little further the next time, because he hasn't been back.

PCHSDawg
06-06-2022, 03:02 AM

AROB44
06-06-2022, 05:14 AM
Gotta be a bear or Bigfoot.

I'm going with Bigfoot!

99jc
06-06-2022, 06:05 AM
absolutely a bear track. a friend of mine has a large track of land on Suncreek road off 389 and he sees bears about twice a year they roam a lot.

OLJWales
06-06-2022, 06:21 AM
Rebel Spy masquerading in their mascot suit. Need a new city ordinance declaring all Black Bears be shot on site in Vegas and surrounding area.

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 06:24 AM
What part of the state? Bear population is really growing.

Pancho
06-06-2022, 06:30 AM
oktibeha

FISHDAWG
06-06-2022, 07:13 AM

Definitely bear as I have hunted them before ... They are liable to surprise you as to where they are and their numbers ... I remember a bear had traffic shut down one am on the Cobb cloverleaf - that's a major intersection in North Atlanta

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 07:36 AM
oktibeha

Definitely bears moving through that area.

KOdawg1
06-06-2022, 07:37 AM
Yep, that's a bear

Bert Stare
06-06-2022, 07:54 AM
I have seen almost the same tracks 2 weeks ago just south of Starkville at the noxubee trails while mountain biking. It was about 2 miles into the woods off sheep ranch road near the south trail head. My guess was a migrating black bear, but it did send a shiver down my spine.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2022, 08:01 AM
Drunk guy in Crocs, taking a piss.

basedog
06-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Expedition Bigfoot says give them a call; they may be busy because they ae tracking Bigfoot and some strange orange lights up in the state of Washington.

Btw Starkvegas, never heard of a Bigfoot killing dogs*

dawgoneyall
06-06-2022, 08:55 AM
Shaquille O'Neal maybe.....

Johnson85
06-06-2022, 10:10 AM

A little dated, but there have been bear sightings outside of Starkville. https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/black-bear-program/photo-album/bear-maps/

I also would not be surprised by it being that close to town. I doubt they are getting crowded into town like they are in other places (by other bears and by development by humans), but it's pretty amazing how little cover they and wild animals in general need stay relatively hidden.

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 10:17 AM
A little dated, but there have been bear sightings outside of Starkville. https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/black-bear-program/photo-album/bear-maps/

I also would not be surprised by it being that close to town. I doubt they are getting crowded into town like they are in other places (by other bears and by development by humans), but it's pretty amazing how little cover they and wild animals in general need stay relatively hidden.

Prior to around 2006 or so, (my dates won't be exact), there were no documented cases of any resident female bears in the entire state of Mississippi. All a bunch of traveling males which will travel miles and miles. Around that time, some females came across the river and loved it here so much, they decided to stay. Now we have a population that is growing at a really good rate. Multiple cubs seen each year now.

parabrave
06-06-2022, 12:42 PM
Just remember what bears can do!!

https://youtu.be/AgdsZJTf9dw

OLJWales
06-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Prior to around 2006 or so, (my dates won't be exact), there were no documented cases of any resident female bears in the entire state of Mississippi. All a bunch of traveling males which will travel miles and miles. Around that time, some females came across the river and loved it here so much, they decided to stay. Now we have a population that is growing at a really good rate. Multiple cubs seen each year now.

Fascinating and AWESOME! Pardon the dumb question though but these bears cross The MS? And have the female's later arrival caused any problems being outnumbered by males? I've watched wildlife for decades on TV and I'd advise any professional to consider doing a show on this as I think many would enjoy especially considering it's a really cool Recent Event with Baby Bears to boot. They'd just hafta guarantee in writing no college mascot discussion.

FISHDAWG
06-06-2022, 01:00 PM
Just remember what bears can do!!

https://youtu.be/AgdsZJTf9dw

I had to bean one with a rock in his head last year to finally get him to leave our camp .... he wouldn't leave until we threw the last fried trout and remaining hushpuppies into the camp fire and hit him with that rock

parabrave
06-06-2022, 01:00 PM
I live on the Biloxi Peninsula and have seem bobcats coyotes and foxes most of my life but never deer. During Katrina some deer were apparently relocated to our area by the flooding, 28 FT in Biloxi Back Bay. About a year after the storm we started noticing one or two deer feeding. Now we have 2 herds and have counted over ten in one area and DMR has now been culling the herds.

OLJWales
06-06-2022, 01:24 PM
I live on the Biloxi Peninsula and have seem bobcats coyotes and foxes most of my life but never deer. During Katrina some deer were apparently relocated to our area by the flooding, 28 FT in Biloxi Back Bay. About a year after the storm we started noticing one or two deer feeding. Now we have 2 herds and have counted over ten in one area and DMR has now been culling the herds.

So prior you had bobcats, coyotes & foxes living off rabbits, squirrels & underground varmits obviously. If you ever wanna see something bad ASS, check out bobcats taking down deer. Gonna get interesting now on that peninsula. Eventually I'm gonna convert my back yard to an outdoor bobcat enclosure and giving he or she also access to the inside with total free roam like a house cat. And no, I'd NEVER declaw an animal. I'll send pics once the project gets going.

FISHDAWG
06-06-2022, 01:28 PM
So prior you had bobcats, coyotes & foxes living off rabbits, squirrels & underground varmits obviously. If you ever wanna see something bad ASS, check out bobcats taking down deer. Gonna get interesting now on that peninsula. Eventually I'm gonna convert my back yard to an outdoor bobcat enclosure so he or she has access to inside with total free roam like a house cat. And no, I'd NEVER declaw an animal. I'll send pics once the project gets going.

Bad Ass = Greyhounds catching coyotes ... check it out on Google
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=greyhounds+catching+coyotes&type=E211US105G91647#id=1&vid=5b51445c35acb34d302993c735dd4c38&action=click

WhiskeyPirate
06-06-2022, 01:34 PM
Sasquatch is a real possibility

Definitely not a bear

OLJWales
06-06-2022, 01:39 PM
Bad Ass = Greyhounds catching coyotes ... check it out on Google

Holy shit I've never heard about that ! Ever seen those HUGE Trained Tibetan Eagles take down and kill a wolf?

BrunswickDawg
06-06-2022, 02:30 PM
I had to bean one with a rock in his head last year to finally get him to leave our camp .... he wouldn't leave until we threw the last fried trout and remaining hushpuppies into the camp fire and hit him with that rock

Couple of years ago I was trout fishing outside of Ellijay. One came off the mountain, knocked on the cabin door, then cleaned out the trash that was full of trout guts by out outside cleaning sink. Bout as close to one as I want to be!

parabrave
06-06-2022, 04:11 PM
Couple of years ago I was trout fishing outside of Ellijay. One came off the mountain, knocked on the cabin door, then cleaned out the trash that was full of trout guts by out outside cleaning sink. Bout as close to one as I want to be!

3 rules in camping. 1. Don't Eat in your sleeping areas. 2. Don't clean your catch near your living areas and most importantly don't Crap near your living areas.

Liverpooldawg
06-06-2022, 04:14 PM
There was a documented bear sighting in NE Miss a couple of years ago. Traveling male.

Cooterpoot
06-06-2022, 04:24 PM
Crack whore squatting to pee and her meat curtains hit the ground.

BrunswickDawg
06-06-2022, 04:34 PM
3 rules in camping. 1. Don't Eat in your sleeping areas. 2. Don't clean your catch near your living areas and most importantly don't Crap near your living areas.
Kind of hard not to do that in a cabin LOL. Fish cleaning station was down on the lake.

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 04:46 PM
Fascinating and AWESOME! Pardon the dumb question though but these bears cross The MS? And have the female's later arrival caused any problems being outnumbered by males? I've watched wildlife for decades on TV and I'd advise any professional to consider doing a show on this as I think many would enjoy especially considering it's a really cool Recent Event with Baby Bears to boot. They'd just hafta guarantee in writing no college mascot discussion.

Yes. Most of our bear population has swam across the Mississippi from Arkansas and Louisiana. We have a mix of the Louisiana black bear as well as the Northern black bear. Females are having cubs every year so that's why we're jumping in population so much. I can't answer about the lack of females being a problem. I just know the males are traveling sometimes hundreds of miles searching for females and running from other dominant males.

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 04:47 PM
We have one on trail cam on our lease in Lawrence county. This was 2 year's ago and only 1 pic.

EdwardDrayton
06-06-2022, 05:30 PM
Well, whatever it is, give it room, because it is a big swinging d””k :)

99jc
06-06-2022, 05:52 PM

Actually there were 50 black bears documented in Mississippi in 2002 5 of those were females. I don't remember the year the female bear and her cub traveled from Bolivar county across the delta through Oktibbeha county and was hit by a car right near downtown Columbus Ms but you can look it up it was several years ago.

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/black-bear-program/photo-album/bear-maps/

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/black-bear-program/photo-album/bear-maps/

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/249124/sightings_2008.jpg

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 07:24 PM
Actually there were 50 black bears documented in Mississippi in 2002 5 of those were females. I don't remember the year the female bear and her cub traveled from Bolivar county across the delta through Oktibbeha county and was hit by a car right near downtown Columbus Ms but you can look it up it was several years ago.

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/249124/sightings_2008.jpg

I knew my dates were off but the females you are referring to never settled down in Mississippi. I graduated from State in wildlife management and I had a buddy in the black bear research program. I kept up with it for years because I love bears. Once that momma bear saw fit to raise cubs here, that was a game changer.

starkvegasdawg
06-06-2022, 07:28 PM
I knew my dates were off but the females you are referring to never settled down in Mississippi. I graduated from State in wildlife management and I had a buddy in the black bear research program. I kept up with it for years because I love bears. Once that momma bear saw fit to raise cubs here, that was a game changer.

What year you graduate? I was December of 98.

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 07:31 PM
What year you graduate? I was December of 98.

93. Kept up with folks for a while. Did a little forestry and consulting before I got bit by the oilfield bug. Kept up with a few folks and was envious about that bear research that started. I would have loved that.

starkvegasdawg
06-06-2022, 07:45 PM
93. Kept up with folks for a while. Did a little forestry and consulting before I got bit by the oilfield bug. Kept up with a few folks and was envious about that bear research that started. I would have loved that.

When I was there I had an opportunity to do some work on the bear project going out and tagging them along the MS river. Don't know why I decided not to do it, but wish I had now.

PCHSDawg
06-06-2022, 08:05 PM
I have seen almost the same tracks 2 weeks ago just south of Starkville at the noxubee trails while mountain biking. It was about 2 miles into the woods off sheep ranch road near the south trail head. My guess was a migrating black bear, but it did send a shiver down my spine.

We probably know some folks in common if you ride out there much.

OLJWales
06-06-2022, 08:20 PM
That Greyhound shit surprised the hell out of me cuz having owned a Pit & 2 American Bullies I'd expect that but not a Greyhound.

One of my favorite clips showing Upper Mongolia's beautiful landscape from above , Ancient History and how they train, eat and live with their Giant Eagles to hunt down wolves and other smaller animals for pelts and anything else threatening their livestock. The footage and badassedry of these Eagles and their bad ass owners is off the charts IMO.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PaJ_xOY_QD4

DownwardDawg
06-06-2022, 08:41 PM
When I was there I had an opportunity to do some work on the bear project going out and tagging them along the MS river. Don't know why I decided not to do it, but wish I had now.

I wish I had done that. I would be poor but happy!!!! Lol

99jc
06-07-2022, 05:30 PM
i graduated in 1984 from MSU with a wildlife degree. Back in the 1990's there was an area along the Mississippi river near Rosedale MS i believe it is a huge hunting club called Catfish Point now. There were several tree dens of female bears with their cubs they would place them high up I am assuming because of flooding. I don't know if they were permanent residents, or they swam the river back and forth from the White River Refuge, but they did have dens in Mississippi. There was a documentary filmed about this it's been so long ago that i don't remember if Game and fish or PBS but you can probably find it.

Hot Rock
06-08-2022, 07:25 PM
absolutely a bear track. a friend of mine has a large track of land on Suncreek road off 389 and he sees bears about twice a year they roam a lot.

My daughter saw one in the road in Chickasaw county between Houston and Okolona a few years ago. It was daylight and a back road that was not well traveled. She was a social worker for the health dept and managed home health cases. It just sat there looking at her blocking the road. I was no doubt a black bear as we had seen them many times going to Gatlinburg. It in no way was threatening, it just didn't care about the car. Finally, it wondered off into the brush and she moved on.

DownwardDawg
06-09-2022, 10:50 AM
They are giant raccoons. Super cool animals which I absolutely love and always enjoy seeing them. At 54, I'm like a kid every time I see one. However, they are extremely destructive if around your home or deer lease. (See raccoon reference). I have friends that have them on deer leases and they absolutely despise them.