PDA

View Full Version : High school football practice question

Dawgology
06-05-2022, 11:41 AM
Those of you who are coaches on here. What are the rules and restrictions on summer conditioning for high school football? We are hearing conflicting answers.

Coach34
06-05-2022, 12:06 PM
Not sure what kind of rules you are referring to. Most schools workout 3-4 days per week during the summer. Mandatory week off so most schools do theirs the week of the HS coaches clinic in July. Schools also have 7 on 7 leagues that compete once or twice per week.

Patrick Tibbons
06-05-2022, 12:23 PM
There is a mandatory off week.
There is mandatory 14 day heat acclimatization period that has about 7 steps you have to follow with total hours practiced/time off etc, but that isn?t anything new.

662dawg
06-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Not sure what kind of rules you are referring to. Most schools workout 3-4 days per week during the summer. Mandatory week off so most schools do theirs the week of the HS coaches clinic in July. Schools also have 7 on 7 leagues that compete once or twice per week.

Starting tomorrow, my son's team will be playing 7 on 7 each Monday throughout June.

Dawgology
06-05-2022, 05:44 PM
Basically was trying to see if there are any limitations on number of workouts per week, time limits, etc. I had someone tell me it’s “illegal” to require mandatory daily work outs each week throughout the summer and I had never heard that.

BuckyIsAB****
06-05-2022, 06:21 PM
Ive never heard of a team working out 5 days a week during the summer. Dead week is the first week of July. Camp starts later this year than it has in a long time

coachnorm
06-05-2022, 06:28 PM
Many 7 on 7s are considered as club sport competitions and not school sanctioned. Many competitions thru out America compete on Sundays as well as Saturdays. Some areas will 7 on 7 up to 20 times a summer. Lincoln High School, in San Diego, competed in DFW and Miami a couple years ago as non-sanctioned 7 on 7 participants.

I do not know the line of demarcation, in Mississippi, identifying non sanctioned 7 on 7 competitions and school sanctioned competitions. Maybe Coach34 can add to my statement and further educate me and fellow elitedoggers on point.

Coach34
06-05-2022, 06:47 PM
Many 7 on 7s are considered as club sport competitions and not school sanctioned. Many competitions thru out America compete on Sundays as well as Saturdays. Some areas will 7 on 7 up to 20 times a summer. Lincoln High School, in San Diego, competed in DFW and Miami a couple years ago as non-sanctioned 7 on 7 participants.

I do not know the line of demarcation, in Mississippi, identifying non sanctioned 7 on 7 competitions and school sanctioned competitions. Maybe Coach34 can add to my statement and further educate me and fellow elitedoggers on point.

HS teams will do 7 on 7 with other groups of schools as well as go to college team camps so that schools can get a look at their kids. But some of these top guys will also 7 on 7 with travel ball much like AAU teams in basketball. I have no idea about regulation of the travel teams. As Bucky said, I've never heard of a school going 5 days per week in the summer. Damn. Even coaches want a little bit of time off.

Our plan is 3 days per week in June, off July 4th week, then 4 days per week in July.

coachnorm
06-05-2022, 06:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuR1L0q4nMg

Just for some fellow elitedoggers I figured I would give an example of non sanctioned club 7 on 7. BTW, high school head coaches are barred from observing or attending such events in California.