PDA

View Full Version : Jack Walker to the portal

MetEdDawg
06-01-2022, 03:35 PM
Meche also gone as well.

Maybe someone knows more than I do but Walker leaving was unexpected to me. Doesn't make a lot of sense honestly

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 03:43 PM
Walker leaving is a statement on Foxhall- This was a big recruit. Louisiana Player of the Year

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 03:44 PM
Another guy that learned how to not throw strikes here.
Foxhall will be gone after next season if pitching doesn't improve significantly.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-01-2022, 03:51 PM
Another guy that learned how to not throw strikes here.
Foxhall will be gone after next season if pitching doesn't improve significantly.
Walker averaged 1 walk per game in High School. At MSU he averaged 1 walk per inning. How do you get that bad that quick?

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 03:53 PM
Walker averaged 1 walk per game in High School. At MSU he averaged 1 walk per inning. How do you get that bad that quick?

Got Foxhalled

HoopsDawg
06-01-2022, 03:53 PM
complete re-tooling guys. several of us stated this was going to happen.

Hambone
06-01-2022, 03:56 PM
Am I thinking of the correct player, but wasn’t the scouting report on Walker was that he wasn’t a high velocity pitcher but had serious movement on his pitches?

If so, could it be possible he was dominant in high school due to facing inferior talent and once he got to college he was facing skilled hitters?

If I’m wrong about that player I apologize, I was just wondering if this could be the reason?

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 03:56 PM
5 or 6 FR out the door. That's poor evals and coaching. That class is pretty much a miss minus a couple guys now.

Commercecomet24
06-01-2022, 03:59 PM

Yep needed to be done.

BayouDawg
06-01-2022, 04:11 PM
Does foxhall get it fixed this year? Hopefully this year was embarrassing to Lemon and it gets a fire lit under his butt.

MetEdDawg
06-01-2022, 04:20 PM

Sure we expected it. But it's not like Walker didn't come to us with talent. He was one of the more decorated high school pitchers we've brought in over the last decade. And we gave him opportunities to compete.

I don't get us wanting him to go or him wanting to leave after one year.

raymonddawg
06-01-2022, 04:31 PM
Plenty of room to improve but Walker did nothing to impress in his time at State.

Homedawg
06-01-2022, 04:47 PM
Sure we expected it. But it's not like Walker didn't come to us with talent. He was one of the more decorated high school pitchers we've brought in over the last decade. And we gave him opportunities to compete.

I don't get us wanting him to go or him wanting to leave after one year.

He was a decorated high school pitcher. He wasn't an elite recruit.

Cowbell
06-01-2022, 04:56 PM
5 or 6 FR out the door. That's poor evals and coaching. That class is pretty much a miss minus a couple guys now.

Yeah but who is that actually on? Who actually started recruiting last year's class? That class started getting recruited in the eighth grade. I think you gotta share the blame across the last couple of coaching staffs.

The other thing that we need to think about is this is the changing of the guard in terms of how you play ball. With the portal, you can no longer develop players - you don't have time to at a program like ours. So many of these kids when they were being recruited, we had no idea of the portal and the impact it would make. We are essentially changing how we play the game and I'm glad that we are. Every scholarship we use has to be on a guy that can likely start. Otherwise it's most likely a waste.

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 05:15 PM
He was a decorated high school pitcher. He wasn't an elite recruit.

He was national HS pitcher of the year and an All American. Had multiple P5 and SEC offers.

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 05:17 PM
Yeah but who is that actually on? Who actually started recruiting last year's class? That class started getting recruited in the eighth grade. I think you gotta share the blame across the last couple of coaching staffs.

The other thing that we need to think about is this is the changing of the guard in terms of how you play ball. With the portal, you can no longer develop players - you don't have time to at a program like ours. So many of these kids when they were being recruited, we had no idea of the portal and the impact it would make. We are essentially changing how we play the game and I'm glad that we are. Every scholarship we use has to be on a guy that can likely start. Otherwise it's most likely a waste.

Our coaches were in no way obligated to sign any kid the other staff offered. Also, they all didn't commit to a previous staff. Walker committed to us late. This idea that all recruiting in a class is over 4 prior to them graduating is silly talk. Offers aren't binding. We aren't having trouble dropping recruits this year. And anyone that believes you don't still have to develop talent is a fool too.

confucius say
06-01-2022, 05:18 PM
Walker leaving is a statement on Foxhall- This was a big recruit. Louisiana Player of the Year

Kale Breaux 2.0 unh

maroonmania
06-01-2022, 06:22 PM
I am just not seeing anyway Lemonis gets this all put back together by next season. And I know we had injuries but we just have WAY too many pitchers not developing as they should under Foxhall.

CaptainObvious
06-01-2022, 06:50 PM
Baseball starting to look like Calipari?s one and done formula. Except in opposite.

They are going to have to fix both the NIL and the Transfer Portal and sooner rather than later.

Some of if not most of the guys leaving were part of the problem this year, not the solution. They weren?t good enough to beat out what we had ahead of them. There are Star freshmen performing at a high level all over the country. We had 1, ONE, UNO!

We will be a fire drill for the next few years using 1 and 2 year players to replace the mistakes.

Coach34
06-01-2022, 07:53 PM
What pitcher has Fox brought in that has impressed? Is Pico the only one? Did Pico commit to Fox or a previous coach?

I can coach Sims, Bednar, and the top talent guys. Lots of people can. Coaching is judged on the moderately talented guys and their performance. Right now our staff is failing on that. Hopefully they can portal some already developed talent

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 09:25 PM
He was national HS pitcher of the year and an All American. Had multiple P5 and SEC offers.

Not good enough....

"At Barbe (La.) High School, Walker was king. He led his squad to an incredible 39-2 record, a state championship and MaxPreps National Championship. He was a First-Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball, the MaxPreps and Perfect Game Player of the Year nationally, the state of Louisiana Mr. Baseball and Gatorade Player of the Year in his state."

Clearly, this is not the type of player MSU needs. All he had was an LSU offer. Even I could get LSU offer. I was too proud to take it.***

Coach34
06-01-2022, 09:28 PM
Not good enough....

"At Barbe (La.) High School, Walker was king. He led his squad to an incredible 39-2 record, a state championship and MaxPreps National Championship. He was a First-Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball, the MaxPreps and Perfect Game Player of the Year nationally, the state of Louisiana Mr. Baseball and Gatorade Player of the Year in his state."

Clearly, this is not the type of player MSU needs. All he had was an LSU offer. Even I could get LSU offer. I was too proud to take it.***

Exactly. The guy pounded the zone before he got to State. Now he cant. What changed?

Percho
06-01-2022, 09:46 PM

Because in HS you could get by throwing strikes. In college we are scared to throw strikes.

About all other teams had to do to get ahead of MSU hitters this past year was throw an off speed ball for a strike, we would take it and be down 0 and 1. Then we would swing at something out of the strike zone, 0-2.

Homedawg
06-01-2022, 10:11 PM
Again. Great hs numbers. He wasn't an elite recruit. To say otherwise is just false.

Homedawg
06-01-2022, 10:15 PM
Exactly. The guy pounded the zone before he got to State. Now he cant. What changed?

Ok I'll bite. What got him to this point was elite movement. His movement was filthy w his fastball. But he couldn't keep it in the zone at all. College guys are hitting against him they laid off. When he did throw strike he got hit. To add, as you know, you've coached, hs zones are WAY bigger and even bigger for guys who have great movement. I get it, fox didn't do a good job w this staff. But he did have major injuries and why did become a bozo after taking two teams to the series. He didn't become a dumb ass in a year.

Cowbell
06-01-2022, 11:14 PM
Ok I'll bite. What got him to this point was elite movement. His movement was filthy w his fastball. But he couldn't keep it in the zone at all. College guys are hitting against him they laid off. When he did throw strike he got hit. To add, as you know, you've coached, hs zones are WAY bigger and even bigger for guys who have great movement. I get it, fox didn't do a good job w this staff. But he did have major injuries and why did become a bozo after taking two teams to the series. He didn't become a dumb ass in a year.

Yep and if you look back at Foxhalls history, this is the first time this has happened in his career. He has done nothing but put out great staffs year after year. It's not like he just lost his ability to coach overnight.

Coach34
06-01-2022, 11:38 PM

You’re my Dawg. We agree on performance in 2022. Let’s hope 2023 is better

Hambone
06-02-2022, 02:03 AM
Ok I'll bite. What got him to this point was elite movement. His movement was filthy w his fastball. But he couldn't keep it in the zone at all. College guys are hitting against him they laid off. When he did throw strike he got hit..

I agree and said similar earlier

Cooterpoot
06-02-2022, 03:43 AM
Again. Great hs numbers. He wasn't an elite recruit. To say otherwise is just false.

But he was a damn good recruit. To say otherwise is just false. So a kid with "elite" movement suddenly can't throw strikes? Where have we seen that? Hmmm. And if you want to say otherwise, then that takes us back to the poor recruiting subject. Fact is, Foxhall has had a lot of talent he didn't recruit. That's who took us to the CWS for the most part. He's had one great pitcher out of the guys he's brought in and a good Juco guy or two. He's run off more than he's developed. We're about to go portal to fill all those pitching holes. Again, guys he didn't recruit or develop. I expect better from the highest paid pitching coach in America.

Saltydog
06-02-2022, 08:25 AM

Completely agree with this. I thought very early on that he didn't have an SEC arm and that at best he might end up being a mid-week guy or long reliever, somewhere along the line. Problem is, we don't have time. We have to have guys to plug/play now.

Hot Rock
06-02-2022, 09:17 AM
Am I thinking of the correct player, but wasn?t the scouting report on Walker was that he wasn?t a high velocity pitcher but had serious movement on his pitches?

If so, could it be possible he was dominant in high school due to facing inferior talent and once he got to college he was facing skilled hitters?

If I?m wrong about that player I apologize, I was just wondering if this could be the reason?

Wow! Just Wow!

I am a believer in Foxhall because he is the only pitching coach to ever get us a national championship. How quickly everyone wants to hate on the coaches.

Hot Rock
06-02-2022, 09:19 AM
But he was a damn good recruit. To say otherwise is just false. So a kid with "elite" movement suddenly can't throw strikes? Where have we seen that? Hmmm. And if you want to say otherwise, then that takes us back to the poor recruiting subject. Fact is, Foxhall has had a lot of talent he didn't recruit. That's who took us to the CWS for the most part. He's had one great pitcher out of the guys he's brought in and a good Juco guy or two. He's run off more than he's developed. We're about to go portal to fill all those pitching holes. Again, guys he didn't recruit or develop. I expect better from the highest paid pitching coach in America.

He was facing HS competition and was great. In college, the competition may have been too much for him. Blaming Foxhall after he is the guy to win us a national title the year before is just crazy to me.

CadaverDawg
06-02-2022, 10:01 AM
He was facing HS competition and was great. In college, the competition may have been too much for him. Blaming Foxhall after he is the guy to win us a national title the year before is just crazy to me.

No coach is free from criticism. Not saying Foxhall got complacent after a big year, but he wouldn't be the first. If you're not moving forward you're moving backwards, so I think the criticism is valid. Doesn't mean he should be fired, but he needs to get his guys rolling.

Cooterpoot
06-02-2022, 10:30 AM

His wildness had nothing to do with competition. He never had it before and faced some of the best in LA, which is a damn good baseball state. Better than MS. He had no issues in travel ball either. He was thought enough of to get the early midweek start as a freshman. Now people acting like we just threw him a bone signing him and we didn't think he was good to begin with. That's a laughable take. Especially when we've seen so many pitchers struggle under Foxhall. Foxhall is coaching for his job next year. If he turns it around, great! I'd love to trot out 3 legit SEC starters. Something we've struggled to do under Foxhall. A good young midweek guy would also be great.

ScoobaDawg
06-02-2022, 10:40 AM

Thank you for one of the best posts in a month. Fox was regarded as one of the best in the business and came in managed the staff to our first National Championship. and then people dump on him as if our staff has been horrible in all his years. Short-sighted.

Hambone
06-02-2022, 10:51 AM
Wow! Just Wow!

I am a believer in Foxhall because he is the only pitching coach to ever get us a national championship. How quickly everyone wants to hate on the coaches.

I’m on team Foxhall. I was just asking COULD that have been what happened. I sincerely apologize if my post inferred I was anti coaching staff. I totally agree with you, they are the only ones to ever do it.

MaroonFlounder
06-02-2022, 10:55 AM

Yes. Not getting the swing and miss he was getting in H.S.

Plus...all of our pitchers this year seemed to NOT get the calls on the corners of the zone. And that nibbling shit trying to get the corners will bite you....and you give up walks.

Cooterpoot
06-02-2022, 03:39 PM
Thank you for one of the best posts in a month. Fox was regarded as one of the best in the business and came in managed the staff to our first National Championship. and then people dump on him as if our staff has been horrible in all his years. Short-sighted.

And three pitchers baled his ass out last year. We had one viable SEC stud in Bednar. Foxhall made our previous ace regress (changed him up). We had no real 3rd option until Hooty stepped up. Had Bednar not gone insane, we were toast. And I'll give Foxhall credit there. He managed the staff well. It's the recruiting and development that's been a struggle for him. And I'm not just now on this, I'll take my arrows because I've been saying for a couple years now.

Cooterpoot
06-02-2022, 03:45 PM
Yes. Not getting the swing and miss he was getting in H.S.

Plus...all of our pitchers this year seemed to NOT get the calls on the corners of the zone. And that nibbling shit trying to get the corners will bite you....and you give up walks.

He K'd 13 in 14 innings.

Cowbell
06-02-2022, 04:01 PM
And three pitchers baled his ass out last year. We had one viable SEC stud in Bednar. Foxhall made our previous ace regress (changed him up). We had no real 3rd option until Hooty stepped up. Had Bednar not gone insane, we were toast. And I'll give Foxhall credit there. He managed the staff well. It's the recruiting and development that's been a struggle for him. And I'm not just now on this, I'll take my arrows because I've been saying for a couple years now.

Why do you not give him credit for the three good pitchers? Did they just happen without development? I don't remember Bednar being a shut down guy early in the season. But maybe my memory is off?

Hambone
06-02-2022, 04:26 PM
It’s because it doesn’t fit the narrative.

R2Dawg
06-02-2022, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure on pitching or hitting coaches. I have seen some not on same page from Lemo to Fox a few times so makes you wonder.

The same group that got credit for a NC last year also deserve criticism for this year's piss poor performance, recruiting, etc. You can't have it both ways. The sunshine pumpers will not win you a championship.

Cooterpoot
06-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Why do you not give him credit for the three good pitchers? Did they just happen without development? I don't remember Bednar being a shut down guy early in the season. But maybe my memory is off?

I did for his recruitment of one and management of all. Bednar was injured to start the season.

Homedawg
06-02-2022, 06:47 PM
I did for his recruitment of one and management of all. Bednar was injured to start the season.

With a stiff neck not a bad arm. SMH

confucius say
06-03-2022, 02:02 PM

Who recruited Bednar? Foxhall. We flipped him after foxhall got the job.

https://pacclaremont.com/2019-rhp-will-bednar-commits-to-mississippi-state-baseball/

schddog72
06-03-2022, 08:07 PM
Meche also gone as well.

Maybe someone knows more than I do but Walker leaving was unexpected to me. Doesn't make a lot of sense honestly

He'll transfer to LSU and totally embarrass us the first time we face him. Book it.

SilentSteel16
06-03-2022, 09:39 PM
I am not in any loop but if I was a young pitcher I would go to LA Tech over LSU especially if I was looking at coaching.

Cooterpoot
06-04-2022, 08:34 AM
Who recruited Bednar? Foxhall. We flipped him after foxhall got the job.

https://pacclaremont.com/2019-rhp-will-bednar-commits-to-mississippi-state-baseball/

And I noted that already. I've given him the credit he deserves, but I'm critical of the obvious things he's failed at too. The highest paid assistant in college baseball needs to be better. Put us together a good rotation and a couple legit arms in the pen with some quality depth. That's literally his job. We were short-handed before the injuries hit. That's why they were so devistating.

Cooterpoot
06-04-2022, 08:36 AM
With a stiff neck not a bad arm. SMH

And he was good pretty much all season, but was next level at the CWS.
Let's see what we bring in and who we develop going forward. Foxhall needs to put together a better staff and pen ASAP. We can all agree on that and hope it happens.