PDA

View Full Version : Here is what needs to bother you about Baseball recruiting

Coach34
05-27-2022, 10:25 PM
We won the Natty. Hell yeah bitches!!!! But Tenn made the CWS also. They were good last year. They beat the **** out of us in the SEC Tourney.

They didnt celebrate their best season in 20 years- they recruited. Dollander transferred in from Ga Southern. He has become the SEC POY throwing 94-97. K'ed 90 while walking only 9. Why were they able to do that and not us? He isnt their only pull- but this really bothers me. Why couldnt we- as the National Champs- pull a couple of impact players for this season like Tenn did?

Why are they proactive when we are now reactive?
A&M got transfers from all over and won the West. Thats coaching from a guy we wouldnt commit to. He has shown his recruiting prowess immediately- unlike our coach.
It's just really frustrating to see our staff waste a Natty like this one has. It's mind-blowing

Dawg2003
05-27-2022, 10:39 PM
It's really mind boggling because Lemonis was supposed to be this great recruiter. That's all we heard about, but I have yet to see it come to fruition.

Hambone
05-28-2022, 01:38 AM
This is an outlier, not the norm. Vandy wasn’t worth a crap this year and they played for a Natty as well.

We got a 1st team all SEC transfer so I’d say he did pretty well with that. Jess Davis was a gold glove winner the previous year. I feel like we should step back from the ledge until this happens again.

Lemonis has never had his pants pulled down like this so let’s see what happens. The man didn’t forget how to recruit all of a sudden.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-28-2022, 04:51 AM
Several of our high school commitments aren?t looking too great either.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-28-2022, 05:32 AM

Ok in fairness, if they do "look too great" then they don't make it to campus. Then we bitch about wasting time on "guys who will never step foot on campus" and we list all the great players weve had that werent MLB risks in HS and say thats who we should recruit instead... There's a sweet spot and I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable enough to know where our recruits fall on the scale

Maroonthirteen
05-28-2022, 06:14 AM
Vitello is a very good coach for starters.
However Tennessee is easier to recruit to than State. Larger state. Larger population within 4-5 hours. A lot more money to throw around under the table or nil. Most of their pitchers are from Tennessee and the others are SC and GA.

However why is the Desoto Central kid playing there? I truly don't know. Desoto county is not exactly painted in maroon but we have represented well at DC in the past. I'm surprised we didn't get that kid.

As for development. I think it's obvious they are coaching better than most. Especially with pitchers.

Lastly, I think they're on steroids. Semi joking there. They are extremely talented. But it wouldn't surprise me.

I think our pitching coach sucks. Just my opinion.

Pancho
05-28-2022, 06:20 AM
Booker committed to Tennessee early in his high school career as did Kam James and Blaze Jordan to MSU. Booker's dad played in the pro's so I assumed their was a connection to knoxville with him but not sure.

Cooterpoot
05-28-2022, 07:02 AM
Ok in fairness, if they do "look too great" then they don't make it to campus. Then we bitch about wasting time on "guys who will never step foot on campus" and we list all the great players weve had that werent MLB risks in HS and say thats who we should recruit instead... There's a sweet spot and I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable enough to know where our recruits fall on the scale

You realize we've cut loose a number of recruits and are still cutting them right? Our evaluation of talent sucks! We aren't bring in difference makers. I can't name one FR that I expect to start or contribute much next year. We've got one Juco that should. You look around the league and teams are signing impact FR.
Then there's the Foxhall Effect. He brings in kids and changes everything up and suddenly they can't throw strikes. He also signs guys that struggle to throw strikes if they throw hard. We've sucked at recruiting. We already had a hole due to coaching changes. It's a big mess. One that's going to have us chasing portal guys for a couple years.

msstate7
05-28-2022, 07:03 AM
I've compared lemonis to Vitello a lot this year, but I'm gonna quit. Vitello is the best coach in the country.

AlSwearengen
05-28-2022, 07:04 AM
I think we looked at pitchers like Fristoe, Tepper, Stinnet, etc. and expected them to progress and perform equal to their ?stuff?. Add that to the injuries and I can sort of see not upsetting the apple cart with too many portal players.

My concerns is that we didn?t identify the ?non performers?, especially the pitchers. I?d also like to see pitchers with more movement. I like the spin stuff, but if a pitcher isn?t good at using it, we need to look for pitchers with traditional movement.

AlSwearengen
05-28-2022, 07:07 AM

Don’t forget to look at the ‘23 class and beyond. That is a better barometer of our recruiting.

Rawdawg
05-28-2022, 07:20 AM
We won the Natty. Hell yeah bitches!!!! But Tenn made the CWS also. They were good last year. They beat the **** out of us in the SEC Tourney.

They didnt celebrate their best season in 20 years- they recruited. Dollander transferred in from Ga Southern. He has become the SEC POY throwing 94-97. K'ed 90 while walking only 9. Why were they able to do that and not us? He isnt their only pull- but this really bothers me. Why couldnt we- as the National Champs- pull a couple of impact players for this season like Tenn did?

A&M got transfers from all over and won the West. Thats coaching from a guy we wouldnt commit to. He has shown his recruiting prowess immediately- unlike our coach.
It's just really frustrating to see our staff waste a Natty like this one has. It's mind-blowing

There?s alot more to the Schlossnagle circus than ?we wouldn?t commit to him?. He was all but given the papers to sign until he was touring the stadium and outlining his recruiting plan which violated every rule in the NCAA handbook. That?s why we pulled out.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-28-2022, 08:49 AM
There?s alot more to the Schlossnagle circus than ?we wouldn?t commit to him?. He was all but given the papers to sign until he was touring the stadium and outlining his recruiting plan which violated every rule in the NCAA handbook. That?s why we pulled out.

In todays NCAA if you are not cheating you are not trying hard enough.

Coach34
05-28-2022, 08:52 AM
Exactly. Dont give me that BS. There are no more rules in recruiting anymore. Plus, the guy had been a successful HC and no problems from the NCAA.

basedog
05-28-2022, 09:29 AM
I've compared lemonis to Vitello a lot this year, but I'm gonna quit. Vitello is the best coach in the country.

"Not so fast my friend"***

Why would say he is the best in the country, because he won the Sec this year. Time will tell if he is the best.

Maroonthirteen
05-28-2022, 09:57 AM
It seems Tennessee has a lot of money for baseball players. I found this thread....

Booker isn't listed. But he receives the East Tennessee Nissan Athletic scholarship.

http://https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/who-will-come-back.329559/ (http://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/who-will-come-back.329559/)

Coach34
05-28-2022, 10:25 AM
This is an outlier, not the norm. Vandy wasn’t worth a crap this year and they played for a Natty as well. .

Vandy is projected as a 2 seed in the Tourney. Where are we again?

Ranchdawg
05-28-2022, 11:03 AM

Which is why he?s such a perfect fit at Texas AM. Just look who runs their Atheletic Dept. No body can tell me that Ross
isn?t one of the biggest cheaters in all of college sports. And their football coach is slime also

Hambone
05-28-2022, 11:09 AM

Way to prove my point, Coach. Both teams had a losing conference record one year removed from playing for it all.

Cooterpoot
05-28-2022, 11:26 AM
Way to prove my point, Coach. Both teams had a losing conference record one year removed from playing for it all.

What? Nobody would be bitching if we were a two seed this year. We didn't even make the conference tournament and had one of the worst seasons most have seen. We fell off the map. They're just having a down year compared to last season.

State82
05-28-2022, 11:30 AM

I would be ecstatic with a 2 seed in Bum17 Egypt. Along with everyone else.

tcdog70
05-28-2022, 11:38 AM
Lem, failed numerous time this year . He never found a centerfielder, he continued to leave pitchers in too long. He continued to March Von up,to ph. He left Tanner in the 4 hole —why? Name one pitcher who improved over the year. Could not figure out how to get RISP across the plate. When to bunt—damn if he knows. Throw to the wrong base, yep we did it plenty. Fail,to score on a double from 2nd base—yep we did. We just looked poorly coached in many instances.

OLJWales
05-28-2022, 12:04 PM
I'm leanin' 34 cuz ain't no excuse for STATE getting curb stomped by TN in baseball crootin'. Being outworked is the simplified answer. Having said that, I have confidence Cohen & Lemonis realize this and are working on a good action plan that will ease our pain.

Todd4State
05-28-2022, 12:26 PM
Most of the issues in my opinion goes back to Foxhall.

Since this thread is about recruiting- there is zero reason why we shouldn't bring in at least 3-4 transfer pitchers a year. We're always going to lose pitchers every year just by the nature of how the draft works. I've never seen a college team have all pitcher who are sophomores at key spots including MSU so we have to know on the front end that we're going to have to bring in people. And despite winning the National Championship we needed LHP. That should have been obvious from the start. The only LHP we returned was Tullar. And even if they expected him to take a big step up this year that's still only one LHP on the roster. And the fact that he hadn't really performed made it even riskier. We definitely dropped the ball big time there. Also, none of our starting pitchers had experience starting in the SEC. We didn't even know if Sims could handle starting going into the year or if he was a closer only guy. Taking a pitcher or two who had some experience starting in college would have helped out a lot this year.

There are several layers to this with Foxhall. Is it recruiting or development? Or some of both? Fristoe and Tepper were both big time recruits. Neither has developed as quickly as they should IMO. Or did in Tepper's case. People point back to Bednar- well he also has a brother in MLB and I guarantee you that they talk some on the side and that was probably a factor with him. If you have to ask me it's some of both. We rely on way too many JUCO pitchers and it's absolutely hit or miss. I doubt there is another blue blood that recruits JUCO players like MSU. And JUCO is going to get even more watered down because now guys that want to go to MSU and get passed over can go play for USM, UAB, or whoever and if they perform well can come to MSU via the portal. There are also rumors that Foxhall hasn't been going to tournaments to recruit in person. Neither has Lemonis per rumor. Until now. Gautreau has been the only one that has been seen from MSU.

And it's a staff wide issue. Yes, I get we have injuries. But we shouldn't have that many pitchers struggling to find the strike zone like that. That's lack of development. Our mechanics as a pitching staff were terrible. And it's fair to ask if the injuries are something that we are or aren't doing on the conditioning side?

Foxhall's in game coaching style doesn't help either. He just tries to let guys figure things out. Of course there is a double standard there since some guys are allowed to walk the house but others are not even allowed to go out there for the same thing- Tullar and Stinnett vs. Walling. He doesn't visit the mound enough. And he is too rigid with his 6 IP out of the starter, 2 IP out of the set up guy, and 1 IP out of the closer. That's led to us keeping starters in too long or taking out relievers in a groove like Pick and then replacing them with Fristoe only to blow the lead. None of that builds confidence in any of our pitchers. And then there is his whole "save the pitchers" philosophy which is just absurd. All it does is lead to us not using our best pitchers- see the Mizzou weekend where we didn't even pitch Fristoe and Pico only threw like 13 pitches. May have that backwards but it was something like that. And then earlier in the week he pitched Forsythe in the Governor's Cup and all I heard was we're saving our arms for SEC play! And then he used the exact same pitchers against Mizzou in games 1 and 2. LOL!

Gautreau my biggest issue is not finding good middle of the field guys like we used to with Tanner Allen, Mangum, Rowdey, Stovall, etc out of high school.

Gautreau can stay but if he leaves I don't care, and Foxhall probably should go but his job will probably be saved by the portal pitchers we bring in that he didn't coach or develop. He has the built in excuse of "We won a National Championship" and "injuries" which he may or may not partially be responsible for which a lot of fans will chalk up to "bad luck". This actually reminds me a lot of Russ McNickle when he was here after we went to Omaha in 2007 and had major pitching issues like we had this year and had the same results on the field.

Lemonis is pretty hands off as a coach from what I understand. Which was perfect for what he inherited. But he needs to crack the whip now. If I were in his shoes I would get a different pitching coach and roll with whatever Gautreau decides to do. I suspect we'll lose Gautreau to Tulane and keep Foxhall for another year with the understanding that he is coaching for his job. It's sad because we could do so much better than Foxhall.

OLJWales
05-28-2022, 12:46 PM
If we've got only Geautreaux scouting at tourneys, that's troubling. Is it normal for HC's not going out to meet croots and watchem play? Do the new NCAA rules apply to baseball too allowing more coaches ? Shouldn't we have more scouts out greeting croots and their parents talking NIL & The Greatest Fans and Stadium in College Baseball?

The Federalist Engineer
05-28-2022, 03:05 PM
"Lemonis is hands off as a coach"

Man, that sounds worse than Polk being a dork that sent letters to LSU players, wishing them well. Or his crusade to change college baseball while coaches just focused on their paid job.

Seems wrong that Tennessee has Vitello and Todd is making me imagine Croom 2.0 in the MSU dugout

MoreCowbell
05-28-2022, 04:23 PM

Were you there?

Coach34
05-28-2022, 07:20 PM

Wow. Vandy is a 2-seed. And you are saying that proved your point.

You must work in Biden's Cabinet. "We only shut down 10 U.S. refineries for Green production...that cant be why gas prices are going up. #Putin'sPriceHike"

BeardoMSU
05-28-2022, 07:47 PM
Wow. Vandy is a 2-seed. And you are saying that proved your point.

You must work in Biden's Cabinet. "We only shut down 10 U.S. refineries for Green production...that cant be why gas prices are going up. #Putin'sPriceHike"

US refineries dictate global gas prices, lol?

Coach34
05-28-2022, 07:55 PM
US refineries dictate global gas prices, lol?

US refineries dictate how fast gas and diesel can be produced. Less refineries producing less supply with more demand = higher gas prices

confucius say
05-28-2022, 09:30 PM

It's not that we couldn't. That had very little to do with it.

confucius say
05-28-2022, 09:35 PM

Give me our Friday night all American and best two pen arms and we'd be in the same place.

confucius say
05-28-2022, 09:37 PM
Lem, failed numerous time this year . He never found a centerfielder, he continued to leave pitchers in too long. He continued to March Von up,to ph. He left Tanner in the 4 hole —why? Name one pitcher who improved over the year. Could not figure out how to get RISP across the plate. When to bunt—damn if he knows. Throw to the wrong base, yep we did it plenty. Fail,to score on a double from 2nd base—yep we did. We just looked poorly coached in many instances.

We also suck at flyball communication, first and third defense, and executing a run down. All are issues.

Dawg2003
05-28-2022, 09:38 PM
NIL is going to make the divide between the haves and have nots even bigger.

Todd4State
05-28-2022, 11:34 PM
"Lemonis is hands off as a coach"

Man, that sounds worse than Polk being a dork that sent letters to LSU players, wishing them well. Or his crusade to change college baseball while coaches just focused on their paid job.

Seems wrong that Tennessee has Vitello and Todd is making me imagine Croom 2.0 in the MSU dugout

I didn't really mean it as a criticism of Lemonis. I think that's better than Dan meddling with everything to be honest with you. All I mean is he lets his assistants do their job. That works well if the assistants are really good. If they aren't it can be disastrous.

Personally I think Lemonis is a very good coach and a good fit for MSU. But for me Foxhall has been a huge disappointment. At the end of the day give me Lemonis plus the best pitching coach in the country and the best hitting/recruiter in the country along with Coach Cheese who I think is good and call it a day.

Todd4State
05-28-2022, 11:40 PM
If we've got only Geautreaux scouting at tourneys, that's troubling. Is it normal for HC's not going out to meet croots and watchem play? Do the new NCAA rules apply to baseball too allowing more coaches ? Shouldn't we have more scouts out greeting croots and their parents talking NIL & The Greatest Fans and Stadium in College Baseball?

I don't think it's that normal for head coaches to be out scouting tournaments. It's also not normal for the pitching coach to not be out there. That said, I think if Lemonis is out there that says a lot to recruits. That's one of the things Vitello does. Lemonis is already being more visable on the road- he was at the State High School Championships this weeekend.

And scouts? We don't really have scouts. What college teams do is rely a lot on these travel ball organizations/baseball academies like Dulin's Dodgers for recommendations essentially. How it works is the academy works with and develops the players and then Gautreau will ask them about their players and then we get recommendations off of that. Apparently we've had some issues with one academy recently which has caused some recruiting issues for us by recommending players that aren't SEC caliber.

And it's a two way street because if the academy produces players that go on to MSU then they can sell that to other baseball players and their families.

Todd4State
05-28-2022, 11:44 PM

Perhaps I'm taking this the wrong way- but we're a have in baseball. It's not just about how much money- it's also about how much each school invests in it. MSU has consistently invested in baseball for decades- at least since the 60's. A school like Tennessee that just recently had the best year in school history? Time will tell.

More importantly to me is we need to keep churning out first round draft picks. That's what baseball players in general want more than anything- is to go somewhere that can get them to MLB. And we've been doing that for years.

sandjunky
05-29-2022, 12:49 AM
I don't think it's that normal for head coaches to be out scouting tournaments. It's also not normal for the pitching coach to not be out there. That said, I think if Lemonis is out there that says a lot to recruits. That's one of the things Vitello does. Lemonis is already being more visable on the road- he was at the State High School Championships this weeekend.

And scouts? We don't really have scouts. What college teams do is rely a lot on these travel ball organizations/baseball academies like Dulin's Dodgers for recommendations essentially. How it works is the academy works with and develops the players and then Gautreau will ask them about their players and then we get recommendations off of that. Apparently we've had some issues with one academy recently which has caused some recruiting issues for us by recommending players that aren't SEC caliber.

And it's a two way street because if the academy produces players that go on to MSU then they can sell that to other baseball players and their families.

Which academy?

OLJWales
05-29-2022, 06:53 AM

Thanks Todd. Sounds like a networking & relationship building deal with coaches who coach potential college talent which begs the question how well are we doing that? How expansive is our crootin' base geographically and how many coaches with proven reliable info do we communicate with on a regular basis?

R2Dawg
05-29-2022, 07:22 AM
What? Nobody would be bitching if we were a two seed this year. We didn't even make the conference tournament and had one of the worst seasons most have seen. We fell off the map. They're just having a down year compared to last season.

True. Glad we didn't play Vandy this year they would have skull drug us too. Vandy ain't had a NC year but they had a solid year after a run last year. We were last in SEC and didn't even make SECT. As bad as it gets.

R2Dawg
05-29-2022, 07:24 AM
Give me our Friday night all American and best two pen arms and we'd be in the same place.

That may be true, can't under estimate the impact of our pitching mess this year.

Rawdawg
05-29-2022, 07:46 AM

When used properly. This current team had a collective NIL deal that was $1000 a month for 10 months for every player.

Hambone
05-29-2022, 07:54 AM

Don?t you dare bring common sense to this argument.

The Federalist Engineer
05-29-2022, 08:14 AM

Teams lose pitchers all the time, every year. This year Arkansas lost the Ace. In 2021, MSU only had 1 weekend guy still pitching well by Omaha and only 1 starting pitcher from Arlington still going. Also 2021, the 8th inning and closer we're done within the first month. Even Bama lost their Ace and still made the SECT.

Cooterpoot
05-29-2022, 08:38 AM
We weren't winning games before those injuries. Maybe things come together later, but our pen and staff was shaky as hell no matter what. The hitting was never where it should've been production wise (clutch). We still had a bad OF defensively. Struggled to get SS settled. Maybe we make the tournament and slide into a regional somewhere. But we were still going to max out at a bubble team in all likelihood.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-29-2022, 09:22 AM

Except it isn't common sense. Almost EVERY team loses pitchers to injury, and they still don't automatically end up as the worst team in the SEC. This whole "is we didn't lost Sims and Simmons we'd have made the SEC tournament" misses the context, that in baseball this happens often to everyone

Coach34
05-29-2022, 10:33 AM

Landon Sims was 0-2 this year on the mound. We would have still lost Friday night games

confucius say
05-29-2022, 11:08 AM
Teams lose pitchers all the time, every year. This year Arkansas lost the Ace. In 2021, MSU only had 1 weekend guy still pitching well by Omaha and only 1 starting pitcher from Arlington still going. Also 2021, the 8th inning and closer we're done within the first month. Even Bama lost their Ace and still made the SECT.

Self nor price were the closer. That was obvious after Tulane 2021.

Regardless, identify for me a team that lost its Friday night all American and top two bullpen arms and its third best pen arm for half the season. It's no wonder our offense was fine and pitching was the problem.

confucius say
05-29-2022, 11:09 AM
Landon Sims was 0-2 this year on the mound. We would have still lost Friday night games

We were 0-2 bc we couldn't score early in the year vs atrocious teams. We ended up one of the top offenses in the league per you.
Sims era was 1.15 and his whip was .87.

You cant say the offense was fine and the pitching was the problem, which you said, and then ignore we lost our Friday all American, best pen arm, second best pen arm, and third best pen arm for half the season.

confucius say
05-29-2022, 11:27 AM
Except it isn't common sense. Almost EVERY team loses pitchers to injury, and they still don't automatically end up as the worst team in the SEC. This whole "is we didn't lost Sims and Simmons we'd have made the SEC tournament" misses the context, that in baseball this happens often to everyone

No it doesn't. Tell me another team that is in the tourney that lost its Friday night all American with a 1.15 era and .86 whip, it's best pen arm who hadn't given up a baserunner on the season, it's second best pen arm with a 3.05 era, and it's fourth best pen arm for half the season. Not to mention a guy who started 3 weekend games.

Our offense was better than 2021. The problem was pitching. And people are totally discounting having the most injury-ravaged staff in the league and likely the country. We lost double digit games after being tied or having the lead in the 7th. That's no coincidence.

Cooterpoot
05-29-2022, 11:35 AM
Texas lost a lot of pitching and are playing for a championship. TN didn't miss a beat when their guys were out. AR is still going without some pitching. LSU has dealt with pitching injuries. Oregon State has a lot injuries and still going. Our pen was thin as hell and we only had one proven starter no matter injuries. Outside of Sims and Johnson we really had no proven performers.

BrunswickDawg
05-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Texas lost a lot of pitching and are playing for a championship. TN didn't miss a beat when their guys were out. AR is still going without some pitching. LSU has dealt with pitching injuries. Oregon State has a lot injuries and still going. Our pen was thin as hell and we only had one proven starter no matter injuries. Outside of Sims and Johnson we really had no proven performers.

Which gets back to those programs had done a better job of recruiting and development then us over the past couple of years. Neither side in this argument are wrong - our recruiting and development in pitching has not been strong beyond our top line guys. If your top line guys go down, then those problems with R & D are highlighted. If our top line guys had not gone down, we likely make the post season - especially since our offense was one of the better ones in the league. We may not have been quite as clutch, but because of the pitching problems we were always having to play from behind - which made the times we didn't come thru with needed hits more visible and critical.

Cooterpoot
05-29-2022, 12:07 PM
I agree. We would be better with those players. But, we had issues no matter what. We just have no real idea how the team might have come together but our pitching was going to be thin. Fristoe, Tepper, Walling were all counted on and none were good. Stone? Who knows how he goes. Cade did an adequate job but seem to hit the wall late because we had no pen. But no real 3rd starter (which seems to be a Foxhall regularity).

confucius say
05-29-2022, 12:25 PM

Did those teams you listed lose their Friday all American guy, top pen arm, second pen arm, third pen arm for half the season, and a guy who started 3 weekend games? If not, the comparison isn't the same.

Nobody is saying we go back to Omaha with all those guys, but we would be in the tournament just like 14-16 Vandy, which was my point. And we'd have a shot in a regional with sims, Johnson, and Cade starting with Simmons and augur added to the pen. We would still have holes no doubt, primarily LH pitching.

Hambone
05-29-2022, 01:19 PM
THIS ^

Pancho
05-29-2022, 02:18 PM
Is Nate Chester the next 2baseman? looks to have good size and some pop in the stick

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2022, 02:51 PM

Poor take here. We would?ve won a ton on Friday night with Sims and him being 0-2 is absurdly irrelevant.

That said, we?ve recruited poor athletes, especially on the mound. The evaluations have been poor and the tinkering of pitching mechanics, attempting to create more vertical rise, has destroyed some of our guy?s strike throwing ability, which should always be the number 1 concern.

The coaches have to evaluate better and not try to clone players.

Tennessee keeps it simple and is the most aggressive/tampering program in the country right now.

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2022, 02:55 PM
Multiple things are true here.

- Losing Sims obviously hurt terribly.

- The lack of decent depth behind him is a massive failure by the staff.

Mjoelner34
05-29-2022, 04:47 PM
Poor take here. We would?ve won a ton on Friday night with Sims and him being 0-2 is absurdly irrelevant.

He is actually very correct. We were 4-6 in Friday night SEC games. In all but one of those losses we scored 2 or less runs. Sims on Fridays would have won us the Friday aTm game and that's it. Going Johnny Wholestaff on Fridays, Sims on Saturday and Cade on Sunday would have gotten us to the SEC tourney and probably the NCAA tourney too but the fact remains our staff was far from deep enough to win a tournament.

TNDawg35
05-29-2022, 05:08 PM
Is Nate Chester the next 2baseman? looks to have good size and some pop in the stick

Looks like it. #3 prospect in MO, signed with Mo out of high school, tore his shoulder up and they brought in someone else and were slow playing him. He transferred to John Logan. Has 3 years of eligibility left…

Bothrops
05-29-2022, 06:00 PM
We haven't recruited coast to coast and we've been getting too many mama's boys.

KOdawg1
05-29-2022, 06:05 PM

Maybe, but I'm always hesitant with Juco hitters. Yeah, he might be a Nate Lowe or Jack Kruger, but he also might be a Gunner Halter or Tanner Poole. You just never know.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-29-2022, 06:08 PM
We have MSU Alumni in place at EBC and East Coast Sox. We have also got several from Dulins Dodgers since Bianco pissed them off.

Coach34
05-29-2022, 06:38 PM

SEC Fridays:

Shutout by Georgia
Beat Bama 7-6
Scored 1 vs UPig
Scored 2 vs LSU
Beat Auburn 7-6
Scored 2 vs Mississippi
Beat Mizzou 13-4
Lost 8-6 to Fla
Lost 8-7 to A&M
Scored 2 vs Tenn

Sims only real impact on Fridays would have likely been in the Florida and A&M games. We might have been able to scratch out one of the others in very low scoring game but you never know. He would have more than likely lost at least 4 Fridays and probably 5. We were 3-7 on Fridays- with him 6-4 is best case with 5-5 more likely.

Coach34
05-29-2022, 06:40 PM
Multiple things are true here.

- Losing Sims obviously hurt terribly.

- The lack of decent depth behind him is a massive failure by the staff.

This is definitely true

confucius say
05-29-2022, 10:17 PM
We haven't recruited coast to coast and we've been getting too many mama's boys.

The staff agrees with you on the last part. There is a big emphasis being placed on recruiting toughness right now.

Todd4State
05-29-2022, 10:56 PM
SEC Fridays:

Shutout by Georgia
Beat Bama 7-6
Scored 1 vs UPig
Scored 2 vs LSU
Beat Auburn 7-6
Scored 2 vs Mississippi
Beat Mizzou 13-4
Lost 8-6 to Fla
Lost 8-7 to A&M
Scored 2 vs Tenn

Sims only real impact on Fridays would have likely been in the Florida and A&M games. We might have been able to scratch out one of the others in very low scoring game but you never know. He would have more than likely lost at least 4 Fridays and probably 5. We were 3-7 on Fridays- with him 6-4 is best case with 5-5 more likely.

Even if that played out like that it would have helped us win other games because Brandon Smith would have been our midweek guy/swing guy in the bullpen making us deeper meaning less high leverage situations for guys like Fristoe and Tepper. And that doesn't even take into account Stone Simmons and for the last half of the year- Auger. It's a domino effect. Especially considering we had a ton of 1-2 run losses. I'm guessing we would have at least 5-7 more wins with even half of the injuries we had.

Schultzy
05-29-2022, 11:13 PM
This season’s chances was going to live and die with Landon Sims from the start.

On even making a regional. We just don’t he the sticks to make up for that even if he wins half his starts in league play.

Ezsoil
05-29-2022, 11:17 PM
It's just really frustrating to see our staff waste a Natty like this one has. It's mind-blowing[/QUOTE]

His interview was a disaster....he was concerned about the country club and shopping for his wife and Cohen felt he wasn't a fit culturally...it ended pretty quickly

Todd4State
05-29-2022, 11:35 PM
This season’s chances was going to live and die with Landon Sims from the start.

On even making a regional. We just don’t he the sticks to make up for that even if he wins half his starts in league play.

I think we make a regional if Simmons stays healthy and we have either Hunt or Auger healthy all year even with Sims being injured. Our starting pitching wasn't nearly as bad as the relief pitching. And I know their ERA's aren't pretty but they were constantly left in too long.

His interview was a disaster....he was concerned about the country club and shopping for his wife and Cohen felt he wasn't a fit culturally...it ended pretty quickly[/QUOTE]

That's not what happened with Schlossnagle. TCU pressed him to make a decision while our season was still going on and then Schlossnagle tried to force Cohen to make an announcement while we were still playing in Omaha because of that and it rubbed Cohen the wrong way. Cohen made the right decision there- 100%. Announcing Schlossnagle would have been very unfair to our team and Gary Henderson.

Let's not forget that Lemonis has a National Title and Schlossnagle doesn't- despite more appearances in Omaha. I'll take Lemonis with a different pitching coach over Schlossnagle any day. We're going to get to see what Lemonis can do with transfers next year. And I think we'll be happy with his recruiting once the 2023 class starts the season in 2024.

AlSwearengen
05-30-2022, 07:10 AM
I think we make a regional if Simmons stays healthy and we have either Hunt or Auger healthy all year even with Sims being injured. Our starting pitching wasn't nearly as bad as the relief pitching. And I know their ERA's aren't pretty but they were constantly left in too long.

His interview was a disaster....he was concerned about the country club and shopping for his wife and Cohen felt he wasn't a fit culturally...it ended pretty quickly

That's not what happened with Schlossnagle. TCU pressed him to make a decision while our season was still going on and then Schlossnagle tried to force Cohen to make an announcement while we were still playing in Omaha because of that and it rubbed Cohen the wrong way. Cohen made the right decision there- 100%. Announcing Schlossnagle would have been very unfair to our team and Gary Henderson.

Let's not forget that Lemonis has a National Title and Schlossnagle doesn't- despite more appearances in Omaha. I'll take Lemonis with a different pitching coach over Schlossnagle any day. We're going to get to see what Lemonis can do with transfers next year. And I think we'll be happy with his recruiting once the 2023 class starts the season in 2024.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has complained about our recruiting footprint but those classes have players from coast to coast. We have multiple commits from CA in the next few classes. Has that ever happened? Highly rated commits from TX and FL, so we are dipping into the hotbed states where players have the option of staying home and playing for good baseball schools, but we have pulled them. We just need to limp along and keep our heads above water for the next couple years until we can start rolling those type players in.

Todd4State
05-30-2022, 08:08 AM

Let's not forget that Lemonis has a National Title and Schlossnagle doesn't- despite more appearances in Omaha. I'll take Lemonis with a different pitching coach over Schlossnagle any day. We're going to get to see what Lemonis can do with transfers next year. And I think we'll be happy with his recruiting once the 2023 class starts the season in 2024.

Everyone has complained about our recruiting footprint but those classes have players from coast to coast. We have multiple commits from CA in the next few classes. Has that ever happened? Highly rated commits from TX and FL, so we are dipping into the hotbed states where players have the option of staying home and playing for good baseball schools, but we have pulled them. We just need to limp along and keep our heads above water for the next couple years until we can start rolling those type players in.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Our recruiting footprint isn't bad. Mississippi produces a lot of MLB players per capita- we're top five as a state in fact. The problem is our population isn't large enough to support a National Championship caliber team with Mississippians alone so we do have to go to the hot bed states to supplement our team.

Our strategy should be to get the best in Mississippi and then supplement from there. Louisiana is also top five or six as well. And Memphis and Alabama are close enough to give us some players too. And also get what we can from the hot bed states.

We need to get away from JUCO's though. That has eaten up too many spots for us recently- especially with pitching.

Cooterpoot
05-30-2022, 09:14 AM
We've "Don't fit Mississippi State" ourselves out of a lot of coaches. Just my generalized comment for the day.
I'm not worried about any coach on staff but Foxhall. Cheese needs to be better with the runners but that falls on the kids too. We'll be fine if we tweak some things and pull a good load of transfers. We've already cut a few recruits that weren't making the cut and I expect more from the lower classes too. I'll bitch a little but my level of concern is pretty damn low overall.

Todd4State
05-30-2022, 09:32 AM
We've "Don't fit Mississippi State" ourselves out of a lot of coaches. Just my generalized comment for the day.
I'm not worried about any coach on staff but Foxhall. Cheese needs to be better with the runners but that falls on the kids too. We'll be fine if we tweak some things and pull a good load of transfers. We've already cut a few recruits that weren't making the cut and I expect more from the lower classes too. I'll bitch a little but my level of concern is pretty damn low overall.

I agree. Foxhall is my only concern. I think our staff fits Mississippi State. But I do think we need to adjust our recruiting slightly. I'm curious to see what direction Lemonis goes from here with it. Him "wanting more toughness" is a positive step in the right direction.

OLJWales
05-30-2022, 09:59 AM
I may be wrong but the Natty may have made our staff too thankful to our returning players and didn't put enough heat on them with some tough portal players. Every year we must put pressure on our players so they knew they will be replaced if we get someone better. Tough competition for playing time breeds excellence.

Todd4State
05-31-2022, 01:16 AM
I may be wrong but the Natty may have made our staff too thankful to our returning players and didn't put enough heat on them with some tough portal players. Every year we must put pressure on our players so they knew they will be replaced if we get someone better. Tough competition for playing time breeds excellence.

I definitely think that happened with us some.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-31-2022, 05:13 AM
We had way too many players on the roster who were not SEC players.

Kylesandi338
05-31-2022, 07:58 AM
This year will tell us what the program will be for the next few years. If this humiliating season doesn't put a fire in the coaches A$$ to recruit better talent, he will never recruit elite talent. Regardless of what happens, This could be a wake up call for the entire team. I expect Lemonis to come out swinging on a lot of recruits and transfers. I was hoping we would clean house on assistant coaches, but I guess Lemonis has a little faith in them still. One more season like we had this year, and Cohen will clean house on all of them.

Jack Lambert
05-31-2022, 08:30 AM
State has everything going for them and I mean everything. NIL Money, tradition, history, Natty and the best damn baseball stadium in college baseball with the most energetic and loyal fans. No excuse for not making conference Tournament. No excuse for not making the NCAA tournament. He should have been fired natty or not. They just flat gave up the last three weeks.

OLJWales
05-31-2022, 08:52 AM
We had way too many players on the roster who were not SEC players.

Which is simply not excusable for STATE. Been a whole lotta retard, laziness & piss poor mgmt goin' on round here. Natty then Major Buzz Kill pisses me off, confuses and flat out breaks my STATE heart. 17 the HELL outta this BS. Your on your own now Lemonis. These boys are of yo own pickin'. You got some work to do fella.

Hambone
05-31-2022, 08:56 AM
State has everything going for them and I mean everything. NIL Money, tradition, history, Natty and the best damn baseball stadium in college baseball with the most energetic and loyal fans. No excuse for not making conference Tournament. No excuse for not making the NCAA tournament. He should have been fired natty or not. They just flat gave up the last three weeks.

No. You do not fire a coach that went to Omaha back to back years and won a schools only National Championship. That is next level dumbness.

If it’s a recurring thing, yes he needs to go. But the man has built a two year minimum of whatever happens.

Jack Lambert
05-31-2022, 09:40 AM
No. You do not fire a coach that went to Omaha back to back years and won a schools only National Championship. That is next level dumbness.

If it’s a recurring thing, yes he needs to go. But the man has built a two year minimum of whatever happens.

No excuse for Miss State not making SEC conference.

Cooterpoot
05-31-2022, 09:45 AM
No excuse for Miss State not making SEC conference.

Yeah, all those injuries didn't matter at all. We likely make the SEC tournament without those.
Anyone wanting to fire the coach has lost their damn mind.

Jack Lambert
05-31-2022, 09:53 AM
Yeah, all those injuries didn't matter at all. We likely make the SEC tournament without those.
Anyone wanting to fire the coach has lost their damn mind.

Our pitching was good enough to keep us in games. Hell there are teams we won the series that were in the SEC tournament. Injuries has nothing to do with the shit eggs they laid the last three weeks or the lack of getting timely hits when guys in scoring positions. I am sick and tired of hearing about injuries. Recruit and better ****ing bench.

If we get one win from LSU, one from Florida, one from A&M or one more from Missouri we are in. No excuse. We were swept four weekends. NO excuse. I held my mouth all season waiting on them to come alive but they just laid down and gave up the last three weeks. That's on coaching.

You can think what you want about me but go look at my profile and I am never negative about coaches, players or teams at MSU. If I can't say something good then I keep quiet. However not this time. Not making the SEC tournament is unacceptable to me. Bare minimum a coach should get Miss State to that every year. We are Miss State baseball. We were the first school to go big and take it seriously. Every one else followed us. We fell behind then what we do, we set the new standard. Argue all you want but I will never change my opinion. They better turn it around next season.

confucius say
05-31-2022, 10:16 AM

We're closer to last in the league in NIL money than we are to the top of the league.

confucius say
05-31-2022, 10:19 AM
Our pitching was good enough to keep us in games. Hell there are teams we won the series that were in the SEC tournament. Injuries has nothing to do with the shit eggs they laid the last three weeks or the lack of getting timely hits when guys in scoring positions. I am sick and tired of hearing about injuries. Recruit and better ****ing bench.

If we get one win from LSU, one from Florida, one from A&M or one more from Missouri we are in. No excuse. We were swept four weekends. NO excuse. I held my mouth all season waiting on them to come alive but they just laid down and gave up the last three weeks. That's on coaching.

You can think what you want about me but go look at my profile and I am never negative about coaches, players or teams at MSU. If I can't say something good then I keep quiet. However not this time. Not making the SEC tournament is unacceptable to me. Bare minimum a coach should get Miss State to that every year. We are Miss State baseball. We were the first school to go big and take it seriously. Every one else followed us. We fell behind then what we do, we set the new standard. Argue all you want but I will never change my opinion. They better turn it around next season.

Are you saying we should clean house now?

Jack Lambert
05-31-2022, 10:27 AM
Are you saying we should clean house now?

What I am saying is that I am pissed off. Go from winning Natty to not making to Conference Tourney. That's unacceptable. It has to fix now or it will keep getting worse.

Coursesuper
05-31-2022, 10:31 AM
We're closer to last in the league in NIL money than we are to the top of the league.

This fact is missed by most, and where we really are would shock them. Because it doesn't fit the narrative, and they can't understand that as of July 1 last year the playing field changed forever and for the worse for MSU in particular.

Hambone
05-31-2022, 10:36 AM
I get what you’re saying but at the same time it’s very irrational. Sports does that to people.

Here are some things to look at… has this ever happened in Lemonis career? No
Have we even seen what type of changes he is going to make to the roster? No (although some has begun to happen)

We simply do not know at this point how we will look in 3 months.

I’d wait to go all scorched earth until things shake out.

OLJWales
05-31-2022, 02:54 PM

Is that specific to baseball or our total NIL Budget? Either way that sucks.

Dawg2003
05-31-2022, 06:47 PM
How much NIL money do we have for baseball? One of the TAMU boards said they have 10 million in NIL money for baseball. Not sure if that's true, but it made me wonder about ours.

Coach34
05-31-2022, 06:57 PM
How much NIL money do we have for baseball? One of the TAMU boards said they have 10 million in NIL money for baseball. Not sure if that's true, but it made me wonder about ours.

I cant verify- but my understanding is that we raised around $3MM TOTAL so far. As in TOTAL for all sports

BeardoMSU
05-31-2022, 07:19 PM
I cant verify- but my understanding is that we raised around $3MM TOTAL so far. As in TOTAL for all sports

Holy Bajeezuss

https://www.electriciansforums.net/media/not-great-not-terrible-chernobyl-comrade-dyatlov-gif.16752/full

Offshore Dawg
05-31-2022, 07:30 PM
Holy Bajeezuss

https://www.electriciansforums.net/media/not-great-not-terrible-chernobyl-comrade-dyatlov-gif.16752/full

But, not enough to keep up.

Dawg2003
05-31-2022, 08:07 PM

Yikes.

mparkerfd20
05-31-2022, 08:13 PM

And you are 100% right, but Lemonis isn't getting fired period this year. If he hadn't win the Natty last year more would be calling for his head.

Coach34
05-31-2022, 08:15 PM
Lemon has 2 more years at least. Natty gives you stroke. But he does have to fix the shit and another sub-par in 23 would put him on the hotseat for 24.

The Federalist Engineer
05-31-2022, 08:36 PM
Yikes.

If true, Over the long term, MSU and "Dude Effect" is swordsman- Texas A&M with $30M bucks is Indiana Jones. But Texas fans are frequently full of shit, we'll see

https://c.tenor.com/3sQMkCEvXKwAAAAd/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-indiana-jones.gif

Dawg2003
05-31-2022, 08:43 PM
Over the long term, MSU and "Dude Effect" is swordsman- Texas A&M with $30M bucks is Indiana Jones

https://c.tenor.com/3sQMkCEvXKwAAAAd/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-indiana-jones.gif

That's my worry, but we got a natty at least.

BeardoMSU
05-31-2022, 09:10 PM
But, not enough to keep up.

It's terrible if true, hence Chernobyl blowing up...the "not terrible" was meant ironically, lol.

Coach34
05-31-2022, 09:33 PM
The State way would be starting a fund like GoFundMe where State grads would donate $10, $20, $50 bucks. The State family is large and will donate like crazy in small donations- but we lack the big money boys that can throw a million here or there. We are the Army- not the Generals

OLJWales
05-31-2022, 09:40 PM
The State way would be starting a fund like GoFundMe where State grads would donate $10, $20, $50 bucks. The State family is large and will donate like crazy in small donations- but we lack the big money boys that can throw a million here or there. We are the Army- not the Generals

This gives me College Sports Jock Rash.

BeardoMSU
05-31-2022, 09:54 PM

We'd still get buried with this as our only strategy.

confucius say
05-31-2022, 10:41 PM
There's no reason to everybody on here can't donate at least $250 a year. Honestly, if you're not willing to do that, don't complain.

Coach34
06-01-2022, 12:29 AM
We'd still get buried with this as our only strategy.

We’re getting buried now. We have to go outside the box

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 12:54 AM
Go Fund Me is a skimmer site, takes a direct bite from the hide. 3% or so.

Venmo with a password to watch Fall Ball and Maroon-White Series is better. With play-by-play with Jay Powell and Ron Polk.

I don't want to be fed media bullshit about Stinnett's electric stuff or Cerantola not walking anybody over 18 innings. Or Bryce Chance being the new Ichiro.

Especially this year, that password would be worth 250.

Maroonthirteen
06-01-2022, 06:54 AM
The athletes are placing themselves in direct competition with the university for booster and tv money.

Yesterday, Nappier said the athletes should get a cut of the TV money. Ok Billy, what line items on the current athletic budget are you cutting to add athlete payroll expense?

Ok big booster, here is your $50000 bill for the suite for the season.
Hey mr booster, this is Bulldog Initiative, give us $50000 for the next recruiting class?

My Booster has to double down or has a decision to make.

Maroonthirteen
06-01-2022, 07:03 AM
States greatest hope is players turn down nil money or transfer out after a year or two from the big money schools.

I'm sure the money is nice at the rich schools but you would think at some point, the players on the bench just want to play. Not just be held on the shelf as inventory.

Coursesuper
06-01-2022, 07:11 AM
We’re getting buried now. We have to go outside the box

Bingo, within 5 years we could be finding it very difficult to be competitive.

Coach34
06-01-2022, 07:15 AM
States greatest hope is players turn down nil money or transfer out after a year or two from the big money schools.

I'm sure the money is nice at the rich schools but you would think at some point, the players on the bench just want to play. Not just be held on the shelf as inventory.

But that’s the problem. NIL is there for transfers and they are shopping for top dollar

Dawgfan77
06-01-2022, 07:19 AM

We have had more people and business step up since last year. We are over that number by a large margin. The issues we had early on have been somewhat rectified but could still use some work.
We were very unorganized at the start and we all know why (leadership), and that's probably where that 3MM was coming from with the early struggles.

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 07:21 AM
The athletes are placing themselves in direct competition with the university for booster and tv money.

Yesterday, Nappier said the athletes should get a cut of the TV money. Ok Billy, what line items on the current athletic budget are you cutting to add athlete payroll expense?

Hey mr booster, this is Bulldog Initiative, give us $50000 for the next recruiting class?

Nothing like millionaires telling everyone how to spend money. Some of these coaches are out of control. It's 17ing ridiculous to pay insane amounts to a college athlete and coaches. They deserve some money, but not insane money. I'd just assume scrap athletics. And at some point, when the richest schools are playing in a seperate division, things might normalize a little

Maroonthirteen
06-01-2022, 08:40 AM
But that’s the problem. NIL is there for transfers and they are shopping for top dollar

I get it. However the point I was trying to make is, at some point it is a numbers game. There is only so many positions on the field and the window of opportunity is only 4-5 years. How long is a very good baseball player happy on the bench vs taking less money every month to actually be in the starting line up?

The top dollar will get and retain the best of the best. But at some point, some good talent will ignore the money to get an opportunity to actually play. I hope.

maroonmania
06-01-2022, 08:51 AM
Nothing like millionaires telling everyone how to spend money. Some of these coaches are out of control. It's 17ing ridiculous to pay insane amounts to a college athlete and coaches. They deserve some money, but not insane money. I'd just assume scrap athletics. And at some point, when the richest schools are playing in a seperate division, things might normalize a little

The whole thing is turning into garbage. This is WAY worse than pro sports. Big time college sports is now turning into what pro sports would be if there were no team salary caps and no multi year contracts. Eventually only the richest schools with the richest boosters will have any chance to compete at a high level in any of the sports that have any fan interest. If that is what it's coming to then yes, I am fine with just shutting it down. I can just watch pro sports at that point because they do at least give every team in the league a chance to compete.

Maroonthirteen
06-01-2022, 08:52 AM

Couldn't agree more.

I wish these conferences and schools would quit ***** footing around. Have a meeting. Get OHSt Mich and a few others in the "sec" and be done with it. The "sec" becomes the new CFA and lets go.

Rawdawg
06-01-2022, 09:05 AM
The names on the athletic facilities are repeating themselves and that?s not a good thing.

basedog
06-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Money hasn't effective USM. Just saying. Baseball I'm saying. So many good baseball players who don't get attention.

msstatelp1
06-01-2022, 09:52 AM
Jake Mangum seemed to think highly of Lemonis. I think I'll trust his judgment since he was proven correct on the "first championship" prediction.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2022, 10:48 AM
If A&M buys 2 good catchers, only one can play. The lesser of the 2 will transfer, we may be able to outbid some other schools for "used car" prices... but we will still be playing a catcher that is worse than the one A&M has.

USM does a great job of finding under the radar guys... but that's 1) really hard to do long term, and 2) really hard to be elite without top flight MLB talent like Bednar or Sims, who we will lose to big NIL contracts.

College athletics is OVER for State. It just is. We will literally be outspent 10:1 by over a dozen programs in every sport. Pooling all NIL money into baseball would help, but I guarantee you the big school will double what we have in that sport.

Imagine a 2nd draft: right now, MLB takes most of the top HS talent. State was still even with other college teams because MLB affected us all. But imagine of after the MLB, there was a 2nd draft and A&M, Texas, TN, etc bought $8m worth of the HS guys left, and THEN State went to recruiting the leftovers along with the other "poor" Colleges. That is our reality

confucius say
06-01-2022, 11:06 AM
It won't be this way too long. Probably a 3-4 year window before it implodes and measures are put into place.

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 12:08 PM

The opposite, the coaches are placing themselves in direct competition with the university.

The Machiavellian AD knows that he can buy a better team than Lincoln Riley can coach for $6M per year, even letting Skip Holtz coach the $6M players.

confucius say
06-01-2022, 12:42 PM
The opposite, the coaches are placing themselves in direct competition with the university.

The Machiavellian AD knows that he can buy a better team than Lincoln Riley can coach for $6M per year, even letting Skip Holtz coach the $6M players.

Those 5 stars aren't coming to play for skip though

CaptainObvious
06-01-2022, 09:23 PM
Money hasn't effective USM. Just saying. Baseball I'm saying. So many good baseball players who don't get attention.

The 11.7 has affected Mississippi Colleges more than the NIL in baseball. USM can essentially build its baseball program with guys from the Oak Grove youth program, who end up playing at Sumrall, Oak Grove, Petal, North Forrest, Purvis, et. al?

Look at the Sumrall team this year. I think they lost 1 game. The Oak Grove youth program is about like Desoto County and Madison and Rankin County programs. Heck, for years North Jackson baseball out on Lakeland Drive fed JA and Prep. But when they go up against Georgia or Louisiana or Florida or North Carolina, it is just different. There just aren?t enough strong youth programs in every corner of the State. The Golden Triangle, the Mississippi Delta, Southwest Mississippi, Hinds County, just don?t produce the talent we need to sustain 3 programs like we did in the 2010?s.

We need To be the Top Nuclear, Solar and Aerospace Engineering School in the country.

Somebody get Elon Musk on the phone and tell him we need him to build a self-recharging battery plant north of campus!!!

OLJWales
06-01-2022, 11:45 PM
The 11.7 has affected Mississippi Colleges more than the NIL in baseball. USM can essentially build its baseball program with guys from the Oak Grove youth program, who end up playing at Sumrall, Oak Grove, Petal, North Forrest, Purvis, et. al?

Look at the Sumrall team this year. I think they lost 1 game. The Oak Grove youth program is about like Desoto County and Madison and Rankin County programs. Heck, for years North Jackson baseball out on Lakeland Drive fed JA and Prep. But when they go up against Georgia or Louisiana or Florida or North Carolina, it is just different. There just aren?t enough strong youth programs in every corner of the State. The Golden Triangle, the Mississippi Delta, Southwest Mississippi, Hinds County, just don?t produce the talent we need to sustain 3 programs like we did in the 2010?s.

We need To be the Top Nuclear, Solar and Aerospace Engineering School in the country.

Somebody get Elon Musk on the phone and tell him we need him to build a self-recharging battery plant north of campus!!!

I agree with all of this especially the Musk suggestion. How we doing these days with NASA & Nukes? Don't we still kick ass in car engine design? Wouldn't Elon have a hard on for that?