PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tranfers

TNDawg35
05-27-2022, 05:39 AM
So Thunder and Lightning eluded to some transfers who they were told are already in the boat, just waiting for their seasons to be over. Anyone got any ideas who they are referring to?

Leeshouldveflanked
05-27-2022, 06:57 AM
I could see TJ McCants being a possibility.

Jack Lambert
05-27-2022, 07:45 AM
I know I am looking through Maroon Color glasses but anybody who played in our stadium, knowing there is NIL money available, with all the openings State will have on the roster, you know they have had to think about transferring to State.

Todd4State
05-27-2022, 08:19 AM
Probably Ethan Groff from Tulane and the the pitcher from Miami of Ohio.

StarkVegasSteve
05-27-2022, 08:24 AM
I could see TJ McCants being a possibility.

Neither of the McCants ever wanted to go to school. The only reason TJ made it to Ole Miss was because he was not drafted in 2020. He is draft eligible so I have a feeling he is gone. Also not a true outfielder so do not know how he could help us much.

TupeloDawg
05-27-2022, 08:34 AM
I know of one. Cant share a name. Mangum 2.0 type player.

KOdawg1
05-27-2022, 09:35 AM
Ethan Groff at Tulane and Jonathan Brand at Miami Ohio are the names being mentioned right now.

StarkVegasSteve
05-27-2022, 09:42 AM
Ethan Groff at Tulane and Jonathan Brand at Miami Ohio are the names being mentioned right now.

If the Groff stuff comes to fruition I have an interesting nugget on that one.

Commercecomet24
05-27-2022, 10:54 AM

We are in great shape with both. Keep your fingers crossed.

KOdawg1
05-27-2022, 11:00 AM
We are in great shape with both. Keep your fingers crossed.

There's been talk that Kam James could be back and play CF. If so, an outfield of Groff - LF, Kam - CF, Kellum - RF is pretty stout

StarkVegasSteve
05-27-2022, 11:28 AM
There's been talk that Kam James could be back and play CF. If so, an outfield of Groff - LF, Kam - CF, Kellum - RF is pretty stout

Heard this morning there may be some smoke to the McCants rumors.

KOdawg1
05-27-2022, 11:32 AM
Heard this morning there may be some smoke to the McCants rumors.

That would be funny, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The Federalist Engineer
05-27-2022, 12:25 PM

Nice gets, both Groff and Brand.

The McCants thing seems fake. But I would love to get Dunhurst, Gonzalez, and McCants called up from AAA to major league College Baseball. If we are just talking crazy.

AlSwearengen
05-27-2022, 12:33 PM
Can someone give me reason to be excited about Groff and Brand? ETA: not being snarky.

ZedFedder
05-27-2022, 12:40 PM
Can someone give me reason to be excited about Groff and Brand? ETA: not being snarky.

Groff was a .400 hitter and Brand 1.4 ERA.

WinningIsRelentless
05-27-2022, 04:17 PM

Don?t be surprised if Clark isn?t back. Some depends are being made that would have you thinking he was a career .400 hitter and lockdown closer with .75 era.

StarkVegasSteve
05-27-2022, 06:12 PM
CF-McCants
RF-Groff
LF-James
3B-Alford
SS- Forsythe
2B-Transfer/Downs
1B-Hines/Transfer
C-Highfill/Hancock
DH-Hines/Hancock

That looks like a damn good starting 9. Now lets get the pitching figured out and roll

maroonmania
05-27-2022, 07:10 PM

I'm excited about any pitcher because that is what is going to make or break our team next season. I have confidence we can piece together a reasonably good lineup but without multiple quality transfers our pitching staff next year will be really bad again. Does anyone have any news on Cade Smith?

The Federalist Engineer
05-27-2022, 08:27 PM

Be exited, these are good players. MSU needs about 8 more of these Portal players.

ZedFedder
05-27-2022, 08:51 PM
Be exited, these are good players. MSU needs about 8 more of these Portal players.

Maybe I’m an optimist, but I think Lemonis can get them.

Pancho
05-27-2022, 09:12 PM
Loftin the desoto central LHP just got lit for 5 in the first from NW Rankin. he didn't appear to be a SEC arm tonite.

oldjoedawg
05-27-2022, 09:22 PM
Loftin the desoto central LHP just got lit for 5 in the first from NW Rankin. he didn't appear to be a SEC arm tonite.

Supposedly, he is going pro....this from a family member of another player on the squad.

Pancho
05-27-2022, 09:24 PM
Maybe he didn't have his best stuff tonite

The Federalist Engineer
05-27-2022, 10:06 PM
Supposedly, he is going pro....this from a family member of another player on the squad.

If that's the case, get a portal kid from Baylor, Rice, or Houston to replace the spot. I am more comfortable with grown men transfers than Foxhall projects with electric stuff. No more spin rate guys with +8 ERAs.

Roster management means you assume a top prospect is 50/50 on draft and then 50% likely a Graham Ashcroft, 25% Tepper, 12.5% Austin Sexton, 6.25% JT Ginn and 6.25% Ethan Small

I am probably way over estimating the likelihood of Ethan Small.

Homedawg
05-27-2022, 10:09 PM

I'll be shocked if he isn't here

Homedawg
05-27-2022, 10:10 PM

Oh he's got an sec arm../ he didn't have sec command. The arm is legit.

CaptainObvious
05-27-2022, 10:50 PM

Sounds like he would have fit right in with THIS year?s team.😳

KOdawg1
05-28-2022, 08:08 AM

Should fit right in

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlQ7LRalQqdWfao/giphy.gif

The Federalist Engineer
05-28-2022, 09:54 AM

Foxhall can fix all those command issues. He is great on those projects.

Commercecomet24
05-28-2022, 12:05 PM
I was at Trustmark all day yesterday. Saw Loftin pitch last night. Kid has a high ceiling. His stuff is excellent and has the frame to add more velo and get better. His command was not good last night and he got behind and had to groove fastballs and even at 93-94 good high school hitters will rake it and NWR can hit. Lot of scouts and college coaches there watching yesterday including Lemonis.

ETA the Monistere kid from NWR was excellent on the mound. Fastball 90-93, good braking ball and good command. Going to usm.

maroonmania
05-28-2022, 01:46 PM
Foxhall can fix all those command issues. He is great on those projects.

I think you forgot your sarcasteriks.

TNDawg35
05-28-2022, 05:37 PM
Arizona States starting 3B just entered the portal. Hell go get him. Take everyone we can…

KOdawg1
05-28-2022, 06:42 PM
Arizona States starting 3B just entered the portal. Hell go get him. Take everyone we can…

Hunter Haas? He hit .196 this year

Commercecomet24
05-28-2022, 07:19 PM
Man I'm watching Brock Tapper pitch and this kid is impressive. Command of 3 pitches and competitor. Works fast and throws strikes. Great demeanor and very polished.

Cowbell
05-28-2022, 08:50 PM
Man I'm watching Brock Tapper pitch and this kid is impressive. Command of 3 pitches and competitor. Works fast and throws strikes. Great demeanor and very polished.

Who's he committed to?

Commercecomet24
05-28-2022, 08:51 PM
Who's he committed to?

He's a Dawg

The Federalist Engineer
05-28-2022, 09:59 PM

If Loftin goes MLB, Tapper is the only Lefty in the Class

Hey Commerce, what is your impression of Austin Tommasini from Madison Central

Homedawg
05-28-2022, 10:03 PM

Saw him once. Not a big recruit. Pretty sure he's a signee that's battling for a spot, I.e walk-on w no baseball aid. He's not ready. Not close.
We have two other lefty's in the class. Don't know what they are. One is a late add juco the other is the kid from the coast. Haven't seen him either.

Homedawg
05-28-2022, 10:03 PM

Still don't think we will lose loftin

Commercecomet24
05-29-2022, 12:10 AM

He's got work to do to help us. He's a project.

Commercecomet24
05-29-2022, 12:11 AM
Still don't think we will lose loftin

I concur with this.

Coach34
05-29-2022, 11:10 AM
Only way we lose him is if MLB offers too much.

mparkerfd20
05-30-2022, 08:47 AM
Saw where we picked up Nate Chester to be our 2B next year. Looks like a hell of a good one!

Cowbell
05-30-2022, 09:35 AM
Saw where we picked up Nate Chester to be our 2B next year. Looks like a hell of a good one!

The kid runs a fireworks stand in the off-season - honestly this tells you he's hard nosed and blue collar. When talking to his juco coaches, our staff made it clear they were only looking for tough SOBs. I think we all can agree this is going the right direction.

Hambone
05-30-2022, 10:13 AM
So is it possible we could start seeing new players today if certain teams aren’t in the regionals?

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2022, 12:28 PM
CF-McCants
RF-Groff
LF-James
3B-Alford
SS- Forsythe
2B-Transfer/Downs
1B-Hines/Transfer
C-Highfill/Hancock
DH-Hines/Hancock

That looks like a damn good starting 9. Now lets get the pitching figured out and roll

What makes yall think the Mccants kid is coming here? He has not been a great hitter for them but I could be wrong

ZedFedder
05-30-2022, 12:43 PM
What makes yall think the Mccants kid is coming here? He has not been a great hitter for them but I could be wrong

McCants was really good as a freshman, but he was not good this year. I'm not sure why he fell off.

Pancho
05-30-2022, 01:08 PM
good scouting report got to him at the plate and then it effected his glove a bit.

StarkVegasSteve
05-30-2022, 04:02 PM

I have no clue of his interest other than rumors from 5-6 people. I think he would be a solid glove for us in CF. He is Skinner but with better ability at the plate. He also has 300+ ABs against SEC arms and was an everyday starter, which are two things that cannot be devalued. Again, no clue if he is even interested, but being that we currently have no CF he would be an upgrade.

KOdawg1
05-30-2022, 04:24 PM
I have no clue of his interest other than rumors from 5-6 people. I think he would be a solid glove for us in CF. He is Skinner but with better ability at the plate. He also has 300+ ABs against SEC arms and was an everyday starter, which are two things that cannot be devalued. Again, no clue if he is even interested, but being that we currently have no CF he would be an upgrade.

I think he's a middle infielder. That's what he was recruited as. He only played CF because they had a need there and he wasn't beating out Jacob Gonzalez. That's why he doesn't look fantastic out there. Because that's not his position.

Todd4State
05-31-2022, 01:09 AM
So is it possible we could start seeing new players today if certain teams aren’t in the regionals?

Maybe a couple this week. Some of it is paperwork stuff and potentially visits and things like that.

The rumor was McCants (and his parents) wanted to come to MSU but that was when we were having all of that coaching turnover so he went to Ole Miss which was more stable at the time.

Hambone
05-31-2022, 08:48 AM
Makes sense and honestly smart on him and his parents. Not that I condone anyone going to Ole Miss.

I really think we are going to be in a good spot when this is all said and done.

StarkVegasSteve
05-31-2022, 10:45 PM
With the changes at Clemson I wonder if we look at a guy like Max Wagner. 3B with .369 average, .852 slugging, and .496 OBP.

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 01:23 AM
With the changes at Clemson I wonder if we look at a guy like Max Wagner. 3B with .369 average, .852 slugging, and .496 OBP.

Rather Max Wagner than touch an Ole Miss player with parent issues.

There are already many dimensions to the OM rivalry, don't need a potential cancer player.

Homedawg
06-01-2022, 07:31 AM
I think he's a middle infielder. That's what he was recruited as. He only played CF because they had a need there and he wasn't beating out Jacob Gonzalez. That's why he doesn't look fantastic out there. Because that's not his position.
He can't play ss. His arm isn't good. Never seen him play enough inf to know. But it's either in lf or at 2b in pro ball.
I have my doubts on the rumor to be honest..guess anything is possible

KOdawg1
06-01-2022, 08:06 AM
He can't play ss. His arm isn't good. Never seen him play enough inf to know. But it's either in lf or at 2b in pro ball.
I have my doubts on the rumor to be honest..guess anything is possible

2B is where I see him

StarkVegasSteve
06-01-2022, 11:00 AM
Groff officially in the portal. Lets Ride

KOdawg1
06-01-2022, 11:04 AM
Groff officially in the portal. Lets Ride

Gotta get him

StarkVegasSteve
06-01-2022, 11:09 AM
Rather Max Wagner than touch an Ole Miss player with parent issues.

There are already many dimensions to the OM rivalry, don't need a potential cancer player.

Well we could pursue both, they play different positions. And from people I have talked to McCants is far from a cancer. A good family that wanted to come here from the jump, but coaching uncertainty caused them to look elsewhere.

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Got Gartman from Memphis. Solid pick up.

Pancho
06-01-2022, 11:13 AM
this

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 11:22 AM
Once we add Groff, which is rumored, that's two good ones. Stealing from the AAC isn't bad.

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 11:36 AM
Well we could pursue both, they play different positions. And from people I have talked to McCants is far from a cancer. A good family that wanted to come here from the jump, but coaching uncertainty caused them to look elsewhere.

Just a question - why would a player that has played extensively since a freshman, for the same coach that recruited him, has one year before the draft, already plays in the SEC, plays for a program that makes regionals, hosts regionals, and was ranked #1 during the season want to leave that program? Flirt with a significant rival program?

Seems like a Landon Jordan situation to me and potentially an issue were he wants more NIL than other players. I am not pretending to know anything, other than it stinks. What would we think about an MSU player making waves about transferring and before doing it, contributing to rumors that Ole Miss was the target destination?

Just as a funny theoretical exercise, if I was the equivalent MSU player stuck behind Justin Foscue (a great player, obvious 1st rounder) for playing time at my desired position but playing extensively in RF, I would be a happy camper for myself and MSU. If I were to transfer, I would tearfully go far away, to Pepperdine, Cal State Fullerton, or UC Santa Barbara were I would likely never face my buddies or dear coach again. I would not go to OM or LSU to spit in the eye of my friends.

Instead of Rod Tidwells, go get more RJ Yeagers, Nate Lowes, and Scotty Dubrules with clear and decent intentions and motives.

Commercecomet24
06-01-2022, 11:36 AM

Real solid. I've known this kid awhile and he's gonna help a bunch. When groff comes aboard here in the next week that'll be one more.

confucius say
06-01-2022, 11:38 AM
Well he chose his first school due to coach stability. If he thinks bianco is gone, that's probably why he's looking.

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 11:40 AM

Great pickup - Memphis' Friday Night Starter. Throws strikes and 171 opposition batting average. He's from Bogue Chitto

I'll take 3 or 4 more of this type of player.

https://gotigersgo.com/sports/baseball/roster/landon-gartman/10364

The Federalist Engineer
06-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Well he chose his first school due to coach stability. If he thinks bianco is gone, that's probably why he's looking.

Even more stinky, because Bianco is not actually gone.

Why not tweet his respect for Bianco and how great the coach is. How the players work for him, etc.

Cooterpoot
06-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Great pickup - Memphis' Friday Night Starter. Throws strikes and 171 opposition batting average. He's from Bogue Chitto

I'll take 3 or 4 more of this type of player.

https://gotigersgo.com/sports/baseball/roster/landon-gartman/10364

He's from Enterprise (all those Lincoln Co. schools run together). Worked out with my SIL. Saw him in HS a few times. I want to say he had an injury his 1st yr of Juco, then took off.

KOdawg1
06-01-2022, 12:08 PM
We'll get Groff if he doesn't turn pro

confucius say
06-01-2022, 12:40 PM
Even more stinky, because Bianco is not actually gone.

Why not tweet his respect for Bianco and how great the coach is. How the players work for him, etc.

I'm not aware he tweeted anything at all. Nor should he. Most of that fan base wants bianco gone. I wouldn't step in that either. Just put your head down and play hard, it's not like he has any bearing on whether the admin keeps bianco.

My guess is he goes nowhere if bianco stays. But if bianco leaves, he will consider his options, including here where he, his brother, and parents have a good rship with the staff.

BuckyIsAB****
06-01-2022, 03:57 PM
Who is Groff? The Clemson kid sounds like a baller

BrunswickDawg
06-01-2022, 05:04 PM
Who is Groff? The Clemson kid sounds like a baller

.400 hitter at Tulane

Commercecomet24
06-01-2022, 05:38 PM
.400 hitter at Tulane

Good power and good obp too. Has pretty good wheels and plays good defense as well.

State82
06-01-2022, 06:16 PM
Stealing from the AAC isn't bad.
"Stealing" seems like such a harsh, dastardly term. Maybe we could say we were encouraging certain AAC players to showcase their talents on the grandest stages of collegiate baseball.

Eh, screw it. We stole 'em.

Chuck3124
06-02-2022, 10:19 AM
Tommy Tanks officially in the portal. Is there a realistic chance here or just a pipe dream?

Hambone
06-02-2022, 10:54 AM
https://twitter.com/scoutstever/status/1532372460770828290?s=21&t=QmjaCfpDzCPAqrwu-jcLPw

StarkVegasSteve
06-02-2022, 11:07 AM
So here is the latest from what I have gathered over the last few days. And again take the info FWIW:

If Groff stays in school, which is likely, he will be playing for us next year.

Guy Lipscomb is very interested in playing at State and we are evaluating that possibility. Still in the early stages and we have to see if an instant impact P5 guy comes available. 60/40 at this point that he is playing for us.

Tommy White changed the game. He will be the biggest NIL star, and probably the first, in the college baseball world. If he is interested in us, then we have the NIL capital to pull it off.

We are on a couple of P5 pitchers at the moment. One that would be an immediate weekend starter for us. Not comfortable enough for names now though.

There is smoke to Gonzales. If Bianco leaves things will get MIGHTY interesting FAST.

Chase Engelhard would walk to Starkville if we have a spot for him.

We have put out feelers to the Clemson 3B Wagner, as have most P5 schools.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2022, 11:42 AM
So here is the latest from what I have gathered over the last few days. And again take the info FWIW:

If Groff stays in school, which is likely, he will be playing for us next year.

Guy Lipscomb is very interested in playing at State and we are evaluating that possibility. Still in the early stages and we have to see if an instant impact P5 guy comes available. 60/40 at this point that he is playing for us.

Tommy White changed the game. He will be the biggest NIL star, and probably the first, in the college baseball world. If he is interested in us, then we have the NIL capital to pull it off.

We are on a couple of P5 pitchers at the moment. One that would be an immediate weekend starter for us. Not comfortable enough for names now though.

There is smoke to Gonzales. If Bianco leaves things will get MIGHTY interesting FAST.

Chase Engelhard would walk to Starkville if we have a spot for him.

We have put out feelers to the Clemson 3B Wagner, as have most P5 schools.

I spent the better part of the season arguing against the expectation that after 1 Natty, we should strive to become the Bama of CBB. If even half of this happens, we need put on our "F. I." hat and go all in on baseball.
Our Athletic Department should spend every waking moment figuring out how to maximize money for baseball. Period. Yes, the SEC contract pays the bills, but Baseball would have to expand the stadium again putting together a team like that every year.
Could y'all imagine Tommy White at MSU? Hitting behind Hunter Hines!

StarkVegasSteve
06-02-2022, 12:01 PM
I spent the better part of the season arguing against the expectation that after 1 Natty, we should strive to become the Bama of CBB. If even half of this happens, we need put on our "F. I." hat and go all in on baseball.
Our Athletic Department should spend every waking moment figuring out how to maximize money for baseball. Period. Yes, the SEC contract pays the bills, but Baseball would have to expand the stadium again putting together a team like that every year.
Could y'all imagine Tommy White at MSU? Hitting behind Hunter Hines!

I would love Tommy White and it is fun to think about, but he is 99.9% going to FSU. The only reason I say less than 100% is because I think he is going to let himself be courted by all the top programs (Arky, Tenn, LSU, Texas, Us, etc.) to see if anyone has a Caleb Williams type NIL deal available for him. In the end he will end up at FSU with a small possibility of Miami or Florida. But as they say, never say never.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2022, 12:26 PM
Tommy Tanks officially in the portal. Is there a realistic chance here or just a pipe dream?

He's gonna wind up at a Florida school.

The Federalist Engineer
06-02-2022, 01:12 PM
He's gonna wind up at a Florida school.

I'm obviously biased slanted like a modern newsman, but why play at schools with empty-ish high-school "stadiums" with dog barks and buzzing lawnmowers in the background? When you can play in a baseball school?

But maybe he wants a quiet golf atmosphere, like Florida schools offer. No fireworks on Friday, but plenty of fireflies and mosquitos.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2022, 04:05 PM
I'm obviously biased slanted like a modern newsman, but why play at schools with empty-ish high-school "stadiums" with dog barks and buzzing lawnmowers in the background? When you can play in a baseball school?

But maybe he wants a quiet golf atmosphere, like Florida schools offer. No fireworks on Friday, but plenty of fireflies and mosquitos.

He's from Florida so maybe getting closer to home. But I agree with you.