PDA

View Full Version : Baseball timeout..Brian McCann to the

bully99
11-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Yankees or that he's close to signing with the Yanks. Too much risk for my liking, Back to Dan Mullen talk.

trob115
11-23-2013, 06:14 PM
I figured he would go to them or the Rangers. That's a lot of money for an " old " McCann.

bully99
11-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Looks like 5 year 85 million with 6 year option. Figured the Rangers would be in the market at that price. No state income tax in Texas. New York, well you know that shitholes taxes.

Todd4State
11-23-2013, 06:28 PM
The Rangers weren't getting him after they just traded for Fielder. Moreland can be a more than adequate DH for them.

bully99
11-23-2013, 06:32 PM
In Texas they keep saying they need another big bat. They don't consider Moreland a big bat but I think Mitch has a chance to stay with Texas.

Todd4State
11-23-2013, 06:36 PM
He hit 23 home runs for them last year, and in 2011 he hit the longest home run in the World Series that year.

That said, they do need another big bat or two- and really they need corner outfielders. But I don't think they don't consider Moreland a big bat.

I have heard that they may go after Cano, and then Mike Napoli is out there as well.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2013, 06:41 PM
He hit 23 home runs for them last year, and in 2011 he hit the longest home run in the World Series that year.

That said, they do need another big bat or two- and really they need corner outfielders. But I don't think they don't consider Moreland a big bat.

I have heard that they may go after Cano, and then Mike Napoli is out there as well.

Mitch has a great arm, why is he not considered for RF?

Todd4State
11-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Mitch has a great arm, why is he not considered for RF?

They absolutely will consider him in right field- and that's where I think he will end up unless they go out and get two of them this winter. DH's are easier and cheaper to find, and if you have a guy that can handle one of those corner spots internally- you absolutely use them.

msstate7
11-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Thank God wren isn't throwing Atlanta's money away like this again (uggla and bj)

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2013, 06:50 PM
They absolutely will consider him in right field- and that's where I think he will end up unless they go out and get two of them this winter. DH's are easier and cheaper to find, and if you have a guy that can handle one of those corner spots internally- you absolutely use them.

Mitch used to throw in the mid 90s if I remember right. I would think he would be above average arm in RF.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank God wren isn't throwing Atlanta's money away like this again (uggla and bj)

Halfass reading and I thought it said throwing money away on an ugly bj. lol

Todd4State
11-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Mitch used to throw in the mid 90s if I remember right. I would think he would be above average arm in RF.

For sure. He has the arm- but remember it's also about accuracy as well. Third base coaches will run on you if they know you are going to throw it to the backstop.

But as far as Mitch- he will be fine out there.

MsStateBaseball
11-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Don't matter, Yanks don't have starting pitching. Go Red Sox!

bully99
11-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Mitch has played some right field for the rangers. He also has a great arm

HereComesTheSpiral
11-23-2013, 08:21 PM
For sure. He has the arm- but remember it's also about accuracy as well. Third base coaches will run on you if they know you are going to throw it to the backstop.

But as far as Mitch- he will be fine out there.
Saw Mitch gun down a guy in Memphis from the warning track on a tag up.

War Machine Dawg
11-23-2013, 08:24 PM
I wish it had been anyone but the damn Yankees. That said, I'm glad the Braves didn't hamstring themselves with what will be an albatross of a contract in another couple years. Use the extra first round pick to get a young, quality bat.

dawgs
11-23-2013, 09:46 PM
And this is why the Yankees won't turn shit around anytime soon.

Will James
11-23-2013, 10:04 PM
And this is why the Yankees won't turn shit around anytime soon.

I think it's a good move for them.

bully99
11-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Have to ask. Are his wars and whips worthy of that money?

Will James
11-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Have to ask. Are his wars and whips worthy of that money?

In the Yanks situation yeah

bully99
11-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Hell the yanks have a history of paying gobs of money whatever your stats are, They've won a lot but also overpaid a bunch.

dawgs
11-24-2013, 04:06 AM
I think it's a good move for them.

I'd be interested in knowing your reasoning because we're generally on the same page. I think they could have found a solid C for less $$ and years who is more likely to give them good return on the investment.

Will James
11-24-2013, 09:14 AM
I'd be interested in knowing your reasoning because we're generally on the same page. I think they could have found a solid C for less $$ and years who is more likely to give them good return on the investment.

What solid C for less money? The Yankees were last in baseball in catcher production last year. Obviously this would be a bad move for the Cardinals. The catcher market is pretty non-existent. And again, they are the Yankees. They will reset their luxury tax penalty and be in the clear to compete very soon. Spending money isn't bad if you can get the best, the Moneyball teams just don't have the money and must work extra hard. When you combine saber thinking with saber talent and money you get the Red Sox. Teams like the Yankees don't have to count beans. He will give them the best possible return on investment simply because he's the best option out there, with second not really close.

Will James
11-24-2013, 09:05 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-yankees-and-mccann-a-perfect-match/

dawgs
11-25-2013, 11:18 AM
i just think in the post-steroid era, giving guys around 30 big free agent deals is not the way to build a winner because most guys are in decline by the time they hit 32 and you're left with big $$ for a quickly declining player.

and while the yanks did lock up the best available C, i don't think the yanks are winning anything in the next few years, so they should pump that $$ into signing some foreign scouting and players. it's not like they are a contender with a huge hole at C, like say the red sox.

Will James
11-25-2013, 11:26 AM
i just think in the post-steroid era, giving guys around 30 big free agent deals is not the way to build a winner because most guys are in decline by the time they hit 32 and you're left with big $$ for a quickly declining player.

and while the yanks did lock up the best available C, i don't think the yanks are winning anything in the next few years, so they should pump that $$ into signing some foreign scouting and players. it's not like they are a contender with a huge hole at C, like say the red sox.

The Yanks are a different animal man. That contract really isn't THAT big. Consider the amount paid per win and their gaping hole they had at catcher. They will always be contenders.

dawgs
11-25-2013, 11:56 AM
they finished 12 games out this year and won 85 games. i don't see them topping that W total for the foreseeable. they'll think they can top it and spend money thinking they can top it, but i don't think they can until they rebuild from within. their run beginning in the 90s was built around a core of guys from within - jeter, rivera, williams, pettite, posada, etc. sure they supplemental with a lot of free agents through the years, but that was their home grown core. cano is now on the other side of 30 and wants a megadeal, but who do they have under 30 that anyone could call a home grown core player that you can see being a major player in a world series run?