PDA

View Full Version : 6 players have already entered the portal (baseball)

KOdawg1
05-23-2022, 03:43 PM
Revy Higgins, Grey Bane, and Taylor Montiel have been in the portal for a couple of weeks.

Andrew Walling, Mikey Tepper, and Bradley Wilson entered today.

More will follow. This roster is about to be flipped upside down, and it has to happen. These next few weeks are gonna be crazy.

BrunswickDawg
05-23-2022, 04:04 PM
I'm kind of surprised by Tepper - but that also might have been "recommended".

Cooterpoot
05-23-2022, 04:13 PM
We've cut almost that many recruits too. WTF are these coaches recruiting? It damn sure ain't talent it appears.

Johnson85
05-23-2022, 04:18 PM
Revy Higgins, Grey Bane, and Taylor Montiel have been in the portal for a couple of weeks.

More will follow. This roster is about to be flipped upside down, and it has to happen. These next few weeks are gonna be crazy.

Do we have a stud catcher coming in or something? Surprised to see the only returning catcher on the roster (unless Hancock comes back) decide to transfer. You'd think that'd be somebody that would stick around.

Kind of surprised that they're all freshman that haven't played except for Walling and Tepper. Wonder whether they just figured out (or were told) that they aren't going to be competitive for playing time or if any of them have potential but just have decided to go chase playing time rather than hope they can earn it here later. But again, Bane seems surprising unless we have a commit that he just knows is better than he is.

TNDawg35
05-23-2022, 04:30 PM
Maybe Lemonis is cutting ties with recruits that a coach brought in that will be going to a different school soon. Maybe Lemonis and another coach didn’t see eye to eye on certain kids and Lemonis is going his own way. Seems like Lemonis is hitting it head on and making changes where everyone is bitching about needing to make changes so other people can bitch and complain about a coach making changes….****

Cooterpoot
05-23-2022, 04:32 PM
Maybe Lemonis is cutting ties with recruits that a coach brought in that will be going to a different school soon. Maybe Lemonis and another coach didn’t see eye to eye on certain kids and Lemonis is going his own way. Seems like Lemonis is hitting it head on and making changes where everyone is bitching about needing to make changes so other people can bitch and complain about a coach making changes….****

It's not changes til we see what we bring in. Hell, we missed on all the transfers but one last year.

confucius say
05-23-2022, 04:35 PM
Good. Needed to happen. I suspect we will have a minimum 20 new faces between juco, freshman, and portal.

confucius say
05-23-2022, 04:36 PM
Do we have a stud catcher coming in or something? Surprised to see the only returning catcher on the roster (unless Hancock comes back) decide to transfer. You'd think that'd be somebody that would stick around.

Kind of surprised that they're all freshman that haven't played except for Walling and Tepper. Wonder whether they just figured out (or were told) that they aren't going to be competitive for playing time or if any of them have potential but just have decided to go chase playing time rather than hope they can earn it here later. But again, Bane seems surprising unless we have a commit that he just knows is better than he is.

Bane struggles mightily.
Highfill will be ahead of him day 1.

The Federalist Engineer
05-23-2022, 04:36 PM

Any low-utilization transfer pitcher is not really a loss. If the coach had to pitch Lane Forsythe more than a roster pitcher, then there was something wrong with that roster pitcher.

Tepper leaving is a statement about Foxhall. MT does not think Fox can help him develop to his potential. I hope he does not end up at Tennessee next season, throwing 100 mph.

Homedawg
05-23-2022, 04:54 PM

Word is there is more thought Hancock might be back. Highfill is a better prospect than Bane. The 6 won't be all. Remember some aren't on baseball aid and some are on 25% can't waste any of it, produce or look like you are going to, or that scholarship is going elsewhere.

Homedawg
05-23-2022, 04:55 PM
Good. Needed to happen. I suspect we will have a minimum 20 new faces between juco, freshman, and portal.

MOre than that to start the fall. Gonna have more than 8 battling for the 8 non scholly spots.

ZedFedder
05-23-2022, 05:07 PM
Tepper is a huge disappointment. Not necessarily his transfer, but his career here. That was a guy you thought would be a stud coming in.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2022, 05:28 PM
Word is there is more thought Hancock might be back. Highfill is a better prospect than Bane. The 6 won't be all. Remember some aren't on baseball aid and some are on 25% can't waste any of it, produce or look like you are going to, or that scholarship is going elsewhere.

Agree on all this(especially not wasting any of it) Hearing Luke is seriously considering coming back.

Homedawg
05-23-2022, 05:36 PM
Tepper is a huge disappointment. Not necessarily his transfer, but his career here. That was a guy you thought would be a stud coming in.

He was. Just never put it together. Never know. Took Hudson 3 years as well. Heck Cohen yanked his scholarship too. He came back for his jr year anyway. Thank goodness.

BrunswickDawg
05-23-2022, 07:18 PM
Agree on all this(especially not wasting any of it) Hearing Luke is seriously considering coming back.

If I were him - or any of our guys other than LoTan - I'd come back simply because no way I would want THIS season attached to my name. It's not like these guys are going to get big draft dollars, stay, get some grad classes and NIL and redeem yourself.

KOdawg1
05-23-2022, 07:24 PM
If I were him - or any of our guys other than LoTan - I'd come back simply because no way I would want THIS season attached to my name. It's not like these guys are going to get big draft dollars, stay, get some grad classes and NIL and redeem yourself.

Hancock will get next to no money if he gets drafted this year or next year. Unless he just hates college baseball, coming back and playing college ball beats the hell out of riding on a crappy bus and staying in cheap hotels for a year in rookie ball.

The crappy bus and hotels will be there next year.

AlSwearengen
05-23-2022, 07:35 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with Fristoe. I hate to say it, but I was worn out with Fristoe and Tepper throwing gas on fires, especially when Fristoe was really good the first half of his freshman year.

KOdawg1
05-23-2022, 07:42 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with Fristoe. I hate to say it, but I was worn out with Fristoe and Tepper throwing gas on fires, especially when Fristoe was really good the first half of his freshman year.

I could see Fristoe going into the portal. He almost did last year. He's at least shown flashes though. Walling and Tepper did nothing.

Coach34
05-23-2022, 07:50 PM
Thats been my stance on Hancock all along. Where is he gonna go? If he gets drafted he will be on a low level bus league team living with 4 or 5 other guys in an apartment, playing in front of tens of people somewhere after signing for a twix bar and a warm pepsi. Come back and catch next year playing SEC ball, bang college girls, and play in front of 10K or more on the reg- and then sign for your twix bar and pepsi.

Coach34
05-23-2022, 07:53 PM
I could see Fristoe going into the portal. He almost did last year. He's at least shown flashes though. Walling and Tepper did nothing.

Fristoe has a big decision. He has too much talent to keep failing. He either has hope Fox can get him straight and he really likes Sville- or he needs to try playing somewhere else like LSU or A&M where he may get coached better.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2022, 07:54 PM
Thats been my stance on Hancock all along. Where is he gonna go? If he gets drafted he will be on a low level bus league team living with 4 or 5 other guys in an apartment, playing in front of tens of people somewhere after signing for a twix bar and a warm pepsi. Come back and catch next year playing SEC ball, bang college girls, and play in front of 10K or more on the reg- and then sign for your twix bar and pepsi.

Hancock C, Hines, 1B, and Clark, RF is a nice start to putting together a lineup for next season.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2022, 07:55 PM
Fristoe has a big decision. He has too much talent to keep failing. He either has hope Fox can get him straight and he really likes Sville- or he needs to try playing somewhere else like LSU or A&M where he may get coached better.

I guess I can give Fox the benefit of the doubt on Walling, but it's tough when he couldn't do anything with Fristoe or Tepper. Not to mention MacLeod and Cerantola.

Homedawg
05-23-2022, 08:04 PM
Hancock will get next to no money if he gets drafted this year or next year. Unless he just hates college baseball, coming back and playing college ball beats the hell out of riding on a crappy bus and staying in cheap hotels for a year in rookie ball.

The crappy bus and hotels will be there next year.

If he gets a shot he has to take it. He's 23 now. But he will get nil money to stay. I get both sides. No, he's never playing in the bigs, but man, it's hard to tell a kid to never try

TNDawg35
05-23-2022, 08:34 PM
Hancock C, Hines, 1B, and Clark, RF is a nice start to putting together a lineup for next season.

Why do people keep leaving Forsythe out? Everyone on here would have killed to have his defense and him hit .250 this year and the kid over .270 and was hitting almost .300 coming into the last series and still is elite in the field…

Forsythe SS
Hines 1b
Hancock C
Alford 3B
Clark RF

(Random order) That’s what we have so far. Now I bet Kam comes back and will be moved to CF. We need a 2B and another OF. Of course you take whoever is legit and wants to come. Tell everyone everything is open for business. Even catcher and 1b. Then you play the best period.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-23-2022, 08:37 PM
Hancock got engaged over the weekend. So his priorities may change a little.

msstate7
05-23-2022, 08:37 PM

Hancock and clark are coming back?

Homedawg
05-23-2022, 08:46 PM
Hancock and clark are coming back?

Clark will be back. Looking like Hancock is a possibility.

Homedawg
05-23-2022, 08:47 PM
Why do people keep leaving Forsythe out? Everyone on here would have killed to have his defense and him hit .250 this year and the kid over .270 and was hitting almost .300 coming into the last series and still is elite in the field…

Forsythe SS
Hines 1b
Hancock C
Alford 3B
Clark RF

(Random order) That’s what we have so far. Now I bet Kam comes back and will be moved to CF. We need a 2B and another OF. Of course you take whoever is legit and wants to come. Tell everyone everything is open for business. Even catcher and 1b. Then you play the best period.

I agree w the Forsythe part. I know people wil disagree and that's fine. But he wasn't our problem.

msstate7
05-23-2022, 08:57 PM
Clark will be back. Looking like Hancock is a possibility.

Man, that's a pretty big deal. I think both could have big seasons

msstate7
05-23-2022, 08:59 PM
I agree w the Forsythe part. I know people wil disagree and that's fine. But he wasn't our problem.

Could be gridley 2.0. Gridley hit for decent avg, but showed no pop his first 2 years, and then came out strong in year 3

Coach34
05-23-2022, 09:12 PM
Why do people keep leaving Forsythe out?

Because he is a singles hitter that average climbed because he had limited AB's. He is really good defensively there is no disputing that- but at 165 pounds he will remain a singles hitter that hits about .250. If you can replace him with a quality player you do it- Foreskin is a late inning replacement- not an SEC SS

Leggs had a lower average but had a bigger impact offensively on limited AB's.

Todd4State
05-23-2022, 09:16 PM
If he gets a shot he has to take it. He's 23 now. But he will get nil money to stay. I get both sides. No, he's never playing in the bigs, but man, it's hard to tell a kid to never try

Even if he comes back next year he'll still get a chance to play pro baseball. I guess it depends on how much he feels his ceiling is. Some college guys know by their sophomore junior year that they're not getting past AAA at best. Some don't.

KOdawg1
05-23-2022, 09:18 PM
Because he is a singles hitter that average climbed because he had limited AB's. He is really good defensively there is no disputing that- but at 165 pounds he will remain a singles hitter that hits about .250. If you can replace him with a quality player you do it- Foreskin is a late inning replacement- not an SEC SS

This.

Homedawg
05-23-2022, 09:27 PM
Even if he comes back next year he'll still get a chance to play pro baseball. I guess it depends on how much he feels his ceiling is. Some college guys know by their sophomore junior year that they're not getting past AAA at best. Some don't.

I get that. But he'll be 24 by then. And if he plays a year or two he's 26 w no money and broke and married. It matters. But he does have an nil deal now. So who knows.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2022, 10:35 PM
Man, that's a pretty big deal. I think both could have big seasons

Clarks gotta get his draft stock back up. He fell substantially with scouts this year. He needs a big season next year to make any money. Hancock is close to coming back but who knows how it'll go. I don't think he's gonna get drafted so he's gonna have to hope for a limited free agent deal if any. He may just be ready to get on with life and another career. I hope for our sake he comes back has a big year and gets drafted but who knows which way he's gonna go. He does have a pretty nice NIL deal so there's that.

Cooterpoot
05-23-2022, 10:51 PM
State fans: These guys suck and aren't clutch
Also State fans: Can't wait to get these guys back!

CaptainObvious
05-24-2022, 12:31 AM

I get what you are saying. But I also see the need for some continuity rather than 8 new guys in the line up.

New Leadoff (LF or 2B)
New 2 hole (LF/2B/DH)
Hines 1B
Hancock C
Clark RF
James CF
New (LF/2B/DH)
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

The middle of the line up would need to be flexible to keep 3,4, and 5 from all batting LH.

Tater
05-24-2022, 12:41 AM

Forsythe SS
Hines 1b
Hancock C
Alford 3B
Clark RF

Re: Forsythe

People made up their mind on this kid failing and are unwilling to change their thoughts in light of evidence to the contrary. Same way the people who were seriously calling for Lemo & co's head at this point in time last year are now again yelling for changes because they're right and Lemo sucks in some way. They made their decision and are unwilling to change. They'll explain it away (not Lemo's recruits, Lane had limited AB's, etc. etc.)

Truth of the matter is Forsythe is showing improvement. He hasn't been an "SEC quality bat" but he needed some meat on his bones. A little better spray placement and plate discipiline though and he's a serviceable end of lineup bat with the defense to justify him being an everyday starter. Who would have thought it would just sometimes take a young kid to grow into it.

Tater
05-24-2022, 12:43 AM

Almost like this board is made up of several different people with differing opinions.

This is always the silliest critique of a group of people. We aren't some monolith. I can tell you for a fact there are several that I do not share hardly any opinions with on this board.

The Federalist Engineer
05-24-2022, 01:43 AM

Foxhall - wonder what happens if all the best talent on the roster enroll in Knoxville and College Station.

TNDawg35
05-24-2022, 02:35 AM

People made up their mind on this kid failing and are unwilling to change their thoughts in light of evidence to the contrary. Same way the people who were seriously calling for Lemo & co's head at this point in time last year are now again yelling for changes because they're right and Lemo sucks in some way. They made their decision and are unwilling to change. They'll explain it away (not Lemo's recruits, Lane had limited AB's, etc. etc.)

Truth of the matter is Forsythe is showing improvement. He hasn't been an "SEC quality bat" but he needed some meat on his bones. A little better spray placement and plate discipiline though and he's a serviceable end of lineup bat with the defense to justify him being an everyday starter. Who would have thought it would just sometimes take a young kid to grow into it.

Absolutely!! People also forget dude is a true sophomore who was thrown into the lineup last year cause Kam James sucked ass. He should have redshirted last year but I thought he did really well this year especially since he was being jockeyed around like he was between him and Leggett.

I also hate the jockeying Lemonis did in CF. Look at Yeager. It took him a little while to get settled in. Davis really didn’t have that chance. It was too much movement in the field. I also never understood the batting order. Hancock should not have been the 2 man. He rolled over and popped our way too much. LoTann regressed at the plate, yet wanted to pimp everything he hit.

Like I stated, everyone was perfectly fine with Forsythe hitting .250 and then when he hits .270, everyone wants to bitch and complain cause he isn’t hitting dingers or isn’t big enough or yada yada yada… shut the **** up with that he isn’t big enough to hit dingers or is nothing but a spray hitter… who gives a shit as long as the kid hits.

Cowbell
05-24-2022, 05:49 AM

We could have used a few more singles hitters this year. This is a terrible take.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-24-2022, 06:10 AM
Since when does a SS need to hit for power? You have corner infielder and outfielders for that. The guys in the middle need to play defense and get on base- pop is always welcome, but you need OBP and defense far more. If Forsythe can up his pitch recognition a bit he'll be able to work the count and draw walks and dramatically increase his OBP.

An elite defender with a decent OBP is a SS that starts at most SEC schools. If you can upgrade you do it, but he's not even "a" problem, much less "the" problem, going into next year

Johnson85
05-24-2022, 09:11 AM

This. Our problem is not that our SS is a mediocre hitter with no power. It's great to have a SS that is also an asset on offense, and if we get one to transfer in, great, but that's somewhat of a luxury. Our problem is that we were missing one or two studs at the plate. Yeager, James, Cumbest, Hines, and Hancock were all perfectly fine at the plate. Tanner was slightly disappointing, but he's also a plus catcher. If Kellum Clark's stats matched how pretty his swing is, and then you have a centerfielder that can hit leadoff, and our offense goes from solid to very good.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 09:35 AM
We could have used a few more singles hitters this year. This is a terrible take.

Too funny. We were 4th in the SEC in runs scored. We were fine offensively other than having some people on the bottom to drive in runs.

We were last in the SEC in Runs allowed.
We were last in the SEC in hits allowed
We were 13th in the SEC in walks allowed

BrunswickDawg
05-24-2022, 09:44 AM
Too funny. We were 4th in the SEC in runs scored. We were fine offensively other than having some people on the bottom to drive in runs.

The fact that we were always behind and needing runs has really warped some peoples understanding of the offense this year.

Great example - we lost 12 games by 2 runs or less. In 8 of those we scored 5 or more runs. That's a whole lot of production wasted by bad pitching.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 09:48 AM
It's simple on Foreskin or any position- if you can upgrade? You do it. Thats the bottom line.

We brought in Yeagerbomb this past year. Foreskin was a little better defender so we moved him to 2nd. Nobody else stepped up. Leggs had his moments but wasnt consistent enough at SS with the glove or bat. Meche needs to go to a lower level. Downs wasnt ready yet. Look around and see whats out there

Cooterpoot
05-24-2022, 09:54 AM
I get what you are saying. But I also see the need for some continuity rather than 8 new guys in the line up.

New Leadoff (LF or 2B)
New 2 hole (LF/2B/DH)
Hines 1B
Hancock C
Clark RF
James CF
New (LF/2B/DH)
Alford 3B
Forsythe SS

The middle of the line up would need to be flexible to keep 3,4, and 5 from all batting LH.

I'm not concerned with the returning guys. They're fine and will be better. Clark had his soph struggles (not uncommon).
Hines needs to cut down Ks a little.
Doubt Hancock comes back but we'll see.

It's all about who we bring in, especially pitching side. I trust Exlax before Taco Bell more than I trust Foxhall.

Hot Rock
05-24-2022, 09:55 AM
It's simple on Foreskin or any position- if you can upgrade? You do it. Thats the bottom line.

We brought in Yeagerbomb this past year. Foreskin was a little better defender so we moved him to 2nd. Nobody else stepped up. Leggs had his moments but wasnt consistent enough at SS with the glove or bat. Meche needs to go to a lower level. Downs wasnt ready yet. Look around and see whats out there

Why in the freak to you continue to call these guys names. Really? Are 7 years old or something. Use his damn name.

confucius say
05-24-2022, 10:21 AM

Not at all. I mean sure I will take a first round type talent at SS of course. But play elite defense and hit .280 at SS and that will work.

Lane
Hines
Hancock
Clark
Alford
Downs

That's a start. We need arms more than anything.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-24-2022, 10:22 AM

There is real truth here. If you can upgrade you do it. Kelly Bryant led Clemson to a football ACC championship and a spot in the playoffs. The next year, Dabo replaced him with a freshman named Trevor Lawrence. This was not an indictment of Bryant, but rather Trevor Lawrence was simply an upgrade.

I like Forsythe a lot. But if a new shortstop rolls onto campus that defends like Forsythe but hits like Brent Rooker, then you have to play him. This isn't T-ball where everyone gets to play to make mama happy.

Having said that, when I have a list of biggest current needs in the portal, shortstop certainly isn't at the top of the list.

Pinto
05-24-2022, 10:32 AM
Rumor this morning is we are losing 20 or so guys off the roster. Supposedly 53% of the roster or something to that affect. Just sit back and let it play out. Lots of movement to come.

BrunswickDawg
05-24-2022, 10:46 AM
Rumor this morning is we are losing 20 or so guys off the roster. Supposedly 53% of the roster or something to that affect. Just sit back and let it play out. Lots of movement to come.

Well we had 11 Seniors (some with eligibility left), and 5 others go in the portal. Add LoTan and Sims in the draft and that already gets you to 18. So 20 isn't really that much.

confucius say
05-24-2022, 11:11 AM
There is real truth here. If you can upgrade you do it. Kelly Bryant led Clemson to a football ACC championship and a spot in the playoffs. The next year, Dabo replaced him with a freshman named Trevor Lawrence. This was not an indictment of Bryant, but rather Trevor Lawrence was simply an upgrade.

I like Forsythe a lot. But if a new shortstop rolls onto campus that defends like Forsythe but hits like Brent Rooker, then you have to play him. This isn't T-ball where everyone gets to play to make mama happy.

Having said that, when I have a list of biggest current needs in the portal, shortstop certainly isn't at the top of the list.

Agree on both points. You should always look to get better at least every position.
But SS is down the list on things needs to be addressed.

Johnson85
05-24-2022, 11:15 AM

I don't think we have 53% of the roster that would constitute a loss.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 11:32 AM
Absolutely!! People also forget dude is a true sophomore who was thrown into the lineup last year cause Kam James sucked ass. He should have redshirted last year but I thought he did really well this year especially since he was being jockeyed around like he was between him and Leggett.

I also hate the jockeying Lemonis did in CF. Look at Yeager. It took him a little while to get settled in. Davis really didn’t have that chance. It was too much movement in the field. I also never understood the batting order. Hancock should not have been the 2 man. He rolled over and popped our way too much. LoTann regressed at the plate, yet wanted to pimp everything he hit.

Like I stated, everyone was perfectly fine with Forsythe hitting .250 and then when he hits .270, everyone wants to bitch and complain cause he isn’t hitting dingers or isn’t big enough or yada yada yada… shut the **** up with that he isn’t big enough to hit dingers or is nothing but a spray hitter… who gives a shit as long as the kid hits.

Let's just compare some SEC shortstops to ours shall we?

Foreskin- .273 avg with 3/1/0 (4 total Xbase hits) 12 RBI's .359 OBP

Mississippi-Gonzalez .... .280 with 9/3/16 (28 XBH's) 45 RBI's .417 OBP
UPig- Battles.... .289 with 12/1/8 (21 XBH's) 36 RBI's .356 OBP
LSU- Thompson.... .294 with 12/0/6 (18 XBH's) 28 RBI's .401 OBP
Tennessee- Lawson .253 with 6/1/10 (17 XBH's) 37 RBI's .387 OBP
Auburn- Moore .274 9/0/4 (13 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .335
Florida- Rivera .265 7/1/9 (17 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .366

Thats quite alot of offense to give up at SS compared to what other teams are getting. Plus, he had the highest strikeout rate in our starting line-up

R2Dawg
05-24-2022, 12:28 PM

Clearly pitching was the issue with this year. Every team's hitting can be improved as D. Only the really good teams have great pitching which is also why we won it last year, plain and simple.

confucius say
05-24-2022, 01:25 PM
Let's just compare some SEC shortstops to ours shall we?

Foreskin- .273 avg with 3/1/0 (4 total Xbase hits) 12 RBI's .359 OBP

Mississippi-Gonzalez .... .280 with 9/3/16 (28 XBH's) 45 RBI's .417 OBP
UPig- Battles.... .289 with 12/1/8 (21 XBH's) 36 RBI's .356 OBP
LSU- Thompson.... .294 with 12/0/6 (18 XBH's) 28 RBI's .401 OBP
Tennessee- Lawson .253 with 6/1/10 (17 XBH's) 37 RBI's .387 OBP
Auburn- Moore .274 9/0/4 (13 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .335
Florida- Rivera .265 7/1/9 (17 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .366

Thats quite alot of offense to give up at SS compared to what other teams are getting. Plus, he had the highest strikeout rate in our starting line-up

So his average and obp are in line.
He just doesn't have the extra base hits.
He is an elite defender though.

The number to beat is 75k for the Kansas SS if one of you wants to pay that. I personally would rather spend it on arms.

SilentSteel16
05-24-2022, 01:42 PM
Why in the freak to you continue to call these guys names. Really? Are 7 years old or something. Use his damn name.

Can’t rep this but couldn’t agree more. Enough is enough.

But it is true IF and that is a big IF you can upgrade you upgrade. Just don’t think you want to remove your best SS who has his average coming along. That would be dumb.

Tbonewannabe
05-24-2022, 02:02 PM
So his average and obp are in line.
He just doesn't have the extra base hits.
He is an elite defender though.

The number to beat is 75k for the Kansas SS if one of you wants to pay that. I personally would rather spend it on arms.

He also slumped really bad and apparently finally fixed the hole in his swing. At least that is what they said on TV. I would take his defense along with hitting .280-.300. He just has to work on hitting to the gaps. He isn't ever going to be a homerun hitter but neither was Mangum. He also needs to become a good bunter if he really wants to up his value.

SilentSteel16
05-24-2022, 02:14 PM
C34 why are you so adamant that Forsythe sucks?
You say he is not an sec SS? You are nuts and so full of yourself you can’t see the forest for the trees.

I went back and looked. You know how many .300 season BA SS we have had since 2014? 1 at that was Gridley did it for 1 season. You do know that Frazier was 2013 he also hit over .300

Another point, do you know who has the most assists and least number of errors since 2010 at SS ? You guessed it our non sec SS Lane Forsythe. He had 4 errors the other SS over the past decade the closest to him error wise was 7.

I think you need to just admit you don’t like him and just accept the fact that he is a sophomore 2 year starter and national champion and your future SS next year. He actually hits on par in batting average with all of our former SS not named Frazier.

Get over it. Lane Forsythe is legit and his bat will come around. He is not a HR hitter nor does he try to be. He is a stud otherwise he would not have been on the field the past 2 years.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 02:24 PM
C34 why are you so adamant that Forsythe sucks?

Did I say he sucks? I'm pretty sure I've given him plenty of credit for his glove work. Now if my comparision of Foreskin's offensive stats to other SS's in the SEC hurts your feelings? That's something you need to deal with. Other SS's in the SEC didnt hit .300 either- but they werent drains on the offense. 4 XBH's for the season and leading your team in K-rate offensively is not only below-average, it's way below average. Some people might even use the word "shitty".

SilentSteel16
05-24-2022, 02:30 PM
So I guess that means MSU doesn’t have any good SS play simce Adam Frazier close to a decade ago? You are comparing him to other teams, what guy did he keep off the field? Who would have done better on MSU baseball team ? The answer is no one. He is our SEC SS. If you think HE was the drain on our offense and our team then you weren’t paying attention.

Hambone
05-24-2022, 02:40 PM
It totally doesn’t fit 34’s narrative. Dude just has to hate on someone on every team. This year and last it was Lane.

confucius say
05-24-2022, 02:59 PM
The question is who would you get to replace lane and is the amount you would have to pay worth it when you could use that money on pitchers and a CF.
You have to think like a GM now. Every player in the portal that is of the caliber you want is asking how much money he gets if he comes to play for you. Ark and TN are in a bidding war for Kansas SS. You only have so much money to go around, so you have to be smart about where it is allocated.

Maroonthirteen
05-24-2022, 03:56 PM
I was thinking the same. Forsythe is similar to many MSU baseball player before him. Undersized but very talented and scrappy.

I can't recall a year, ever, that State was a tall sec team 1-9. Funny part is, size wise, 2022 may be our tallest team that I can remember.

Homedawg
05-24-2022, 04:19 PM
The question is who would you get to replace lane and is the amount you would have to pay worth it when you could use that money on pitchers and a CF.
You have to think like a GM now. Every player in the portal that is of the caliber you want is asking how much money he gets if he comes to play for you. Ark and TN are in a bidding war for Kansas SS. You only have so much money to go around, so you have to be smart about where it is allocated.

Great point. We have to have a 2b, OF and a catcher (unless Hancock stays), and multiple pitchers. Ss falls behind that -!: money, scholarship and NIL , both have limits one way or another.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 04:20 PM
So I guess that means MSU doesn’t have any good SS play simce Adam Frazier close to a decade ago? You are comparing him to other teams, what guy did he keep off the field? Who would have done better on MSU baseball team ? The answer is no one. He is our SEC SS. If you think HE was the drain on our offense and our team then you weren’t paying attention.

Well, let's look at production.

2020- Westburg hit .317 with 6/0/2 (8 XBH's) and 11 RBI's in just 16 games. Thats pretty good. He was more productive in 16 games than Foreskin in 2022
2019- Westburg hit .294 with 21/2/6 (29 XBH's) and 61 RBI's .402 OBP Not bad huh?
2018- Belmont hit .221 with 10/0/6 (16 XBH's) and 49 RBI's. .309 OBP. Remember how this wasnt good enough and we replaced him the next year with Westburg? He still had more production than Foreskin
2017- Gridley hit .327 15/1/6 (22 XBH's) and 39 RBI's and a .393 OBP

I just went back the 4 years before Foreskin stepped on campus to show you the kind of production we are looking for compared to what we are currently getting and it's not even close. You guys acting like he is Ozzie Smith need to realize he didnt even make the All-defensive team. We can agree he has a good glove- But I just think we lose too much offensively- especially with the high K-rate to justify playing him full-time.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 04:22 PM
The question is who would you get to replace lane .

Well, that is what recruiting is all about. Finding those guys. Our staff needs to get to work

confucius say
05-24-2022, 05:19 PM
Well, that is what recruiting is all about. Finding those guys. Our staff needs to get to work

It's not just the staff. It's the money people. Anybody you want is demanding $$. It appears the Kansas ss is going to set the market. Everybody on here needs to be paying at least $50 a month if we want to be relevant going forward.

And we have to decide which holes are the most urgent to fill. I think that is pitching so I think that is where the money needs to be spent this cycle.

Geedawg
05-24-2022, 05:19 PM

2020- Westburg hit .317 with 6/0/2 (8 XBH's) and 11 RBI's in just 16 games. Thats pretty good. He was more productive in 16 games than Foreskin in 2022
2019- Westburg hit .294 with 21/2/6 (29 XBH's) and 61 RBI's .402 OBP Not bad huh?
2018- Belmont hit .221 with 10/0/6 (16 XBH's) and 49 RBI's. .309 OBP. Remember how this wasnt good enough and we replaced him the next year with Westburg? He still had more production than Foreskin

I just went back the 4 years before Foreskin stepped on campus to show you the kind of production we are looking for compared to what we are currently getting and it's not even close. You guys acting like he is Ozzie Smith need to realize he didnt even make the All-defensive team. We can agree he has a good glove- But I just think we lose too much offensively- especially with the high K-rate to justify playing him full-time.

Where?s the defensive comparison in this? Forsythe is an elite, proven battle tested SEC/CWS level defensive SS. His defensive play in Omaha was a big part of winning that tournament. Your little act is predictable and old.

AlSwearengen
05-24-2022, 05:27 PM
I saw that Kansas’ SS entered the portal and he had an avg of 396 and 8 hrs. He is from Hawaii.

SilentSteel16
05-24-2022, 09:12 PM

Funny you mention Westy in 2020 in 16 games. Westy struck out 15 out of 60 ABs. Pretty good pace there. And you keeping on saying he needs to hit .300 yet we have had 1 guy hit .300 between Lane and Frazier.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 09:26 PM
Funny you mention Westy in 2020 in 16 games. Westy struck out 15 out of 60 ABs. Pretty good pace there. And you keeping on saying he needs to hit .300 yet we have had 1 guy hit .300 between Lane and Frazier.

Why are you lying? I have not said in one post in this thread that he needs to hit .300. I have talked about production . He is not producing offensively. But since you brought it up- a singles hitters that cant produce XBH's does need to hit .300+. They need to be a contact guy that moves runners, can hit-n-run, and doesnt strike out much.

I love the fact you brought up Westy's 15 K's in 60 AB's. You obviously made the comment because you think that's a high number. That 1/4 AB's or 25%. Now let's look at Foreskin's:

38 K's in 110 AB's- that a K rate of 34.5%. 9.5% higher than Westy. Thank you for helping me make my point Sir.

SilentSteel16
05-24-2022, 09:42 PM
You do realize you are comparing Lane to a 1st rounder… must mean Lane is not very good. Haha. Move on Coach your hatred is clouding your logic. Goodnight

Cowbell
05-24-2022, 09:45 PM
Why are you lying? I have not said in one post in this thread that he needs to hit .300. I have talked about production . He is not producing offensively. But since you brought it up- a singles hitters that cant produce XBH's does need to hit .300+. They need to be a contact guy that moves runners, can hit-n-run, and doesnt strike out much.

I love the fact you brought up Westy's 15 K's in 60 AB's. You obviously made the comment because you think that's a high number. That 1/4 AB's or 25%. Now let's look at Foreskin's:

38 K's in 110 AB's- that a K rate of 34.5%. 9.5% higher than Westy. Thank you for helping me make my point Sir.

You do realize he hit .300 the second half of the season with extra base hits...

Coach34
05-24-2022, 09:57 PM
You do realize you are comparing Lane to a 1st rounder… must mean Lane is not very good. Haha. Move on Coach your hatred is clouding your logic. Goodnight

It's ok buddy. You lost your argument. Always bring facts. You said nothing about 1st rounder when you thought you had me with his 25% K rate. Stay in your lane and let the knowledge consume you.

Coach34
05-24-2022, 10:01 PM
You do realize he hit .300 the second half of the season with extra base hits...

I realize he sat alot of games that saved him AB's in which would have lowered his AVG this season. 4 XBH's in about 135 total AB's is awful. K-rate is awful. Did he improve at the plate? Yes. But we are talking about playing SS in the SEC for a Top 20 program in the country. His production is more UAB-ish

Coach34
05-24-2022, 10:21 PM

SEC series down the stretch:

0-5 vs Tenn
0-2 vs A&M
3-9 vs Florida
5-13 vs Mizzou
3-11 vs Mississippi
1-8 vs Auburn

He was 12/48 which is .250 in the last 6 SEC series- that includes a great weekend vs Mizzou who was one of the worst staffs in the SEC. He was 7/35 without Mizzou which is .200

Todd4State
05-25-2022, 12:26 AM
Great point. We have to have a 2b, OF and a catcher (unless Hancock stays), and multiple pitchers. Ss falls behind that -!: money, scholarship and NIL , both have limits one way or another.

I'm not expecting Cumbest back so we're going to have to find 2 OF's and a DH in addition to second base and a catcher. I think we have to have a catcher from the portal no matter what. Otherwise if Hancock and Highfill are on the team that's still only two catchers with one as a freshman. I'm not sure that Hubbard stays at catcher. Anyway three catchers with two being true freshmen is scary.

Cooterpoot
05-25-2022, 06:31 AM
We've got a damn mess.

Pancho
05-25-2022, 06:45 AM
this x 2

Coach34
05-25-2022, 08:32 AM
It's not just the staff. It's the money people. Anybody you want is demanding $$. It appears the Kansas ss is going to set the market. Everybody on here needs to be paying at least $50 a month if we want to be relevant going forward.

And we have to decide which holes are the most urgent to fill. I think that is pitching so I think that is where the money needs to be spent this cycle.

I get that but your guys from Ga Southern or Campbell arent demanding big money. They arent in position to. The portal for us will be determined by who we find on lower level teams- not P5 transfers.

basedog
05-25-2022, 08:36 AM
I get that but your guys from Ga Southern or Campbell arent demanding big money. They arent in position to. The portal for us will be determined by who we find on lower level teams- not P5 transfers.

I agree, the NIL will work for the so called "stars", no doubt recruiting has and will continue to change moving forward. Also there are way more baseball teams and players than say football.

SilentSteel16
05-25-2022, 09:41 AM
It's ok buddy. You lost your argument. Always bring facts. You said nothing about 1st rounder when you thought you had me with his 25% K rate. Stay in your lane and let the knowledge consume you.

Lost the argument? You really are clouded aren?t you?. All the comparisons that have happened in this thread by you are to 1-2 rounders. You have not specifically named them but when you say other SEC SS this year, I can only assume you are referencing LSU, UT among others. Those two guys will be 1st rounders. Then you mentioned Westy on this very page of thread. He was a 1st rounder if memory serves my correctly. Adam Frazier was 6th round but is considered an MLB allstar.

yes you are comparing Lane to high value draft picks. And yet he is not far of stat wise from them (MSU players not the LSU or UTENN kid.) Just get over it, Lane is your starting SS next year. He will hover around .270-.300 and play defense at an elite level. Which is better than most of our SS over the past decade which was my statement to begin with.

Coach34
05-25-2022, 11:00 AM
Lost the argument? You really are clouded aren?t you?. All the comparisons that have happened in this thread by you are to 1-2 rounders.

yes you are comparing Lane to high value draft picks. .

Only a simpleton only looks at batting average in judging an offensive player.

Belmont was not a 1st rounder and as of today I'm pretty sure he wasnt drafted after being cut and replaced. Still had more offensive production than Foreskin
Gridley was an 11th round pick

Now- once aGAIN I'd like to thank you for helping my side of the argument even more. If you are saying all the SEC SS's I compared him to this season that far outshined him are 1st-2nd round draft picks- doesnt that mean Miss State needs that also? Their stats dwarfed his. (They arent all 1st or 2nd round picks of course- and your response was both hilarious and ridiculous)

Secondly Mr Foreskin, his .969 fielding percentage is right on par with the expectations at State. You have obviously forgotten Seth Heck, Gridley, and others that had higher FP's than .969

StarkVegasSteve
05-25-2022, 12:41 PM
Corder now in the portal.

SilentSteel16
05-25-2022, 01:38 PM
****34- since you can do it so can I.

I have finally figured out what you are. I am going to treat everything you say and do just like I do with every talking head on Fox,CNN,ESPN. They were attached to a sport or story at one point, physically washed out of it now they are simply talking about something that they are removed from. They all have opinions, like to trash people and even make fun of them. Usually and most of the time it is the case, they are so off base that they make themselves sound stupid. They offer no solutions only complaint or criticism. Your little world is an anonymous message board where you can spout off your comments and thoughts and not get held accountable for them. I get it.

Maybe it was my fault for coming to this site and expecting different. There are notable exceptions to this of course. Starkvegasdawg, CC24 and Mstate7 to name a few actually give good and knowledgeable information. It is not just around sports. You on the other spout off nothing but opinion and hate. Opinions are like assholes. Not only does everyone have one but they all stink. But what should we have expected but shit to come from your asshole self to begin with.

I blame myself for this. Carry on ****34- the local hot headed and just flat out bad commentator on everything that he could not do himself.

SilentSteel16
05-25-2022, 01:41 PM
I am showing my lack of ingenuity on message boards clearly. iwas going for Cant Understand Nothing That you say as fact because it is so wrong for at least 34 reasons. only the capital letters in that last sentence matter.

SilentSteel16
05-25-2022, 01:49 PM
Also, I have just realized you are implying I am Lane’s father… are you the idiot that thought Bucky was Rogers dad? It is par for the course for you considering all the idiotic stuff that you say on here. Have a great day local message board idiot.

confucius say
05-25-2022, 01:56 PM

The known good ones are. Now we can certainly get guys who were average players at Georgia southern for little to no money. Like a Jess Davis. But the known commodities like a RJ Yeager are asking for significant money.

StarkVegasSteve
05-25-2022, 02:24 PM
The known good ones are. Now we can certainly get guys who were average players at Georgia southern for little to no money. Like a Jess Davis. But the known commodities like a RJ Yeager are asking for significant money.

I think you are overestimating the power and reach of college baseball. Yea it is big here and about 20-25 other places but no college baseball player is going to have a Beats NIL deal or be driving around in a Lamborghini. Tyson Foods or Walmart is not going to give the next great Arkansas baseball player a 6 figure NIL deal to do national brand promotion.

NIL in college baseball will be localized to individual communities, maybe statewide for states like Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

I mean Landon Sims is a known commodity in pockets of the Southeast but no one outside of the Dodgers scouting Dept in Los Angeles knows or cares who he is. Ivan Melendez is probably the best known player in college baseball this year but I bet if you took a photo of him to Manhattan 2% of people might know who he is. Now compare that to Caleb Williams, Spencer Rattler, Bijan Robinson, or Quinn Ewers. They are national commodities known coast to coast.

Coach34
05-25-2022, 02:41 PM
I am showing my lack of ingenuity on message boards clearly. iwas going for Cant Understand Nothing That you say as fact because it is so wrong for at least 34 reasons. only the capital letters in that last sentence matter.

hahahahahaha

Always wear your batting helmet when you get in the box with me

Saltydog
05-25-2022, 03:08 PM

That's not a bad thing. I don't think he was a SEC caliber player.

KOdawg1
05-25-2022, 03:22 PM

Another Juco miss.

I'm not anti-JUCO. There are some good players that can help us. See Preston Johnson, Houston Harding, etc.

But we've missed a lot recently with our evals. Leggett, Skinner, Seibert, Corder, Tullar, Stinnett are not SEC players.

KOdawg1
05-25-2022, 03:23 PM
Someone to keep an eye on...

https://miamiredhawks.com/sports/baseball/roster/jonathan--brand/7445

Saltydog
05-25-2022, 03:37 PM
His stats don't really wow me (4.9 era) but he did have 86 K's in 77 IP.

StarkVegasSteve
05-25-2022, 03:39 PM
Another Juco miss.

I'm not anti-JUCO. There are some good players that can help us. See Preston Johnson, Houston Harding, etc.

But we've missed a lot recently with our evals. Leggett, Skinner, Seibert, Corder, Tullar, Stinnett are not SEC players.

Yea last year missing on both Corder and Siebert hurt us. I really think Corder needed to RS. I never thought he was ready. Siebert was recruited strictly off physical attributes and hoping we could turn him into a lesser version of Sonny Dichara

KOdawg1
05-25-2022, 03:41 PM
His stats don't really wow me (4.9 era) but he did have 86 K's in 77 IP.

Think you're looking at 2021's stats.

His ERA was 1.40 this year. 8-2 record.

confucius say
05-25-2022, 05:24 PM
I think you are overestimating the power and reach of college baseball. Yea it is big here and about 20-25 other places but no college baseball player is going to have a Beats NIL deal or be driving around in a Lamborghini. Tyson Foods or Walmart is not going to give the next great Arkansas baseball player a 6 figure NIL deal to do national brand promotion.

NIL in college baseball will be localized to individual communities, maybe statewide for states like Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

I mean Landon Sims is a known commodity in pockets of the Southeast but no one outside of the Dodgers scouting Dept in Los Angeles knows or cares who he is. Ivan Melendez is probably the best known player in college baseball this year but I bet if you took a photo of him to Manhattan 2% of people might know who he is. Now compare that to Caleb Williams, Spencer Rattler, Bijan Robinson, or Quinn Ewers. They are national commodities known coast to coast.

Im not saying 6 figures like football. But well into five.

confucius say
05-25-2022, 05:25 PM

I like it

Saltydog
05-25-2022, 05:33 PM

I stand corrected.

Homedawg
05-25-2022, 05:59 PM
Im not saying 6 figures like football. But well into five.

If that's the case, and it is, we gonna be in trouble....

Coach34
05-25-2022, 06:02 PM
If that's the case, and it is, we gonna be in trouble....

Who outside of the SEC, ACC, and handful of B12 teams are going to pay money to baseball players?

Commercecomet24
05-25-2022, 06:05 PM
Who outside of the SEC, ACC, and handful of B12 teams are going to pay money to baseball players?

Yeah there's MAYBE 20-25 teams at most. It's gonna be just like it was pre nil. Football and basketball players get cars and bags of cash. Baseball players get a meal paid for every now and then. Boosters are not gonna invest their nil money in baseball players, it'll go to football and basketball. Some baseball players may ask for big dollars but very few, if any schools are gonna pay it.

ETA and I'm not saying that some guys won't get it I'm just saying the market is very limited on schools who will pay.

Homedawg
05-25-2022, 06:40 PM

Nobody. But unfortunately, we play in one of those leagues.

Commercecomet24
05-25-2022, 06:42 PM
Nobody. But unfortunately, we play in one of those leagues.

Unfortunately true.

Homedawg
05-25-2022, 07:07 PM
But, we will and have gotten nil money to those that have been here and produced in baseball. But for recruits is going to be limited and in small chunks

confucius say
05-25-2022, 07:26 PM

That's 30 schools. And that's our neighborhood. That's an issue.

confucius say
05-25-2022, 07:35 PM
But, we will and have gotten nil money to those that have been here and produced in baseball. But for recruits is going to be limited and in small chunks

Well that's good. Especially since for recruits is blatantly against ncaa bylaws. I know we all think that the ncaa is a joke, but I'd tread carefully until this working group issues the new bylaws.

Homedawg
05-25-2022, 07:38 PM
Well that's good. Especially since for recruits is blatantly against ncaa bylaws. I know we all think that the ncaa is a joke, but I'd tread carefully until this working group issues the new bylaws.

Naive your middle name?

Coach34
05-25-2022, 07:41 PM

A&M just signed the highest rated recruiting class in football history and spent around 28MM doing it. Errybodyyyyyy is offering money to recruits. Hell, recruits ask about NIL before anything else now

confucius say
05-25-2022, 07:41 PM
Naive your middle name?

Ha. Yea I know we are doing it.
Just wishful thinking. Im cool with nil for players, but I wish it would be taken out of the recruiting process.

confucius say
05-25-2022, 07:42 PM
A&M just signed the highest rated recruiting class in football history and spent around 28MM doing it. Errybodyyyyyy is offering money to recruits. Hell, recruits ask about NIL before anything else now

Yep. I hate it too. Hopefully they will crack down on it.

The Federalist Engineer
05-25-2022, 07:47 PM
I would expect a huge NIL payment or recruitment difference to go extract a Jacob Berry from Arizona - a ready to go All American and 1st Round pick. It will be news to me that there is even a market for this in baseball. Berry went LSU with his coach.

I expect we won't get any Jacob Berry transfer or puck away a Mike Mussina from Stanford.

I expect MSU to take Ok-ish guys from Austin Peay, Eastern Tennessee, Mercer, South Alabama, Campbell, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Binghamton, or New Mexico. That's not going to take Saudi or Drug Cartel levels of money.

Are you Cats saying MSU is about go buy a baseball team? Or some marquee All Americans from other D1 programs?

Homedawg
05-25-2022, 08:07 PM
I would expect a huge NIL payment or recruitment difference to go extract a Jacob Berry from Arizona - a ready to go All American and 1st Round pick. It will be news to me that there is even a market for this in baseball. Berry went LSU with his coach.

I expect we won't get any Jacob Berry transfer or puck away a Mike Mussina from Stanford.

I expect MSU to take Ok-ish guys from Austin Peay, Eastern Tennessee, Mercer, South Alabama, Campbell, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Binghamton, or New Mexico. That's not going to take Saudi or Drug Cartel levels of money.

Are you Cats saying MSU is about go buy a baseball team? Or some marquee All Americans from other D1 programs?

No. I'm saying just the opposite.

Coach34
05-25-2022, 08:16 PM
No. I'm saying just the opposite.

Yeah- people need to realize about NIL. We've had trouble raising 3MM. The rest of the SEC is starting at 20MM

maroonmania
05-25-2022, 08:20 PM
We've got a damn mess.

Concur. I will be highly impressed if Lemonis and crew gets this team straightened back out in one off-season. Just way too many holes to fill especially on the pitching staff.

Hambone
05-25-2022, 09:02 PM
Yeah- people need to realize about NIL. We've had trouble raising 3MM. The rest of the SEC is starting at 20MM

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying for forever. I literally laugh out loud every time a “cigar boy” has been brought up. We do not have any. Not one. They have had plenty of time to “pony up” and make sure people are considering us.

They aren’t. Because they don’t exist.

We’ve basically heard witch stories all our lives about these so called money men that made the MSU world go round.

Todd4State
05-25-2022, 10:55 PM
Yeah there's MAYBE 20-25 teams at most. It's gonna be just like it was pre nil. Football and basketball players get cars and bags of cash. Baseball players get a meal paid for every now and then. Boosters are not gonna invest their nil money in baseball players, it'll go to football and basketball. Some baseball players may ask for big dollars but very few, if any schools are gonna pay it.

ETA and I'm not saying that some guys won't get it I'm just saying the market is very limited on schools who will pay.

Baseball players as you know are wired differently. A lot of them think more about the "big picture" than say basketball players when it comes to money from playing their sport. Right now a typical college baseball player is just going to be happy with getting their tuition paid. That's literally all Vanderbilt has been doing for years and they have been landing first round caliber players at times. That's why the new legislation where conferences decide how many baseball scholarships are given out is so huge for MSU. I don't know what the amount will be other than it will be more than 11.7. Other than the elite prospect players- for example Jett Williams or Blaze Jordan- we're not really going to have to pay a lot to baseball players in general. The reason being because most baseball players are shooting for that second big MLB contract when they can become a free agent. What they value in college is going somewhere that they can develop and get to MLB in order to get the said free agent deal in time.

Now, the elite of the elite players like I mentioned above it's likely going to take around 300-500K a year (900K-1.5 million over a three year period) to get in the game with those players and that's probably baseline. The reason being is because it lessens the risk of them fading in college and not making it. Because if that happens they've still made 1.5 million and maybe more if they don't pan out and come back for a fourth year. But let's say a player does pan out and gets 900K from MSU in NIL. Then they go in the draft and get a 2-3 million dollar signing bonus from MLB- now they've made 3-4 million dollars roughly. So they've made significantly more money. For context making 3-4 million dollars is roughly the equivalent of being a top 15 pick on the high end and a top 25 pick on the low end based on this years draft slots. Also players know that by going to college it statistically increases their odds of making it to MLB. And for more context making 900K-1.5 million would be the equivalent of being a top 50-75 pick in this years draft based on slot values. So if they do flame out they're still getting pretty close to what they would have made in the draft out of high school.

So then the million dollar question is how do we compete with those 25-30 schools? We need to give to the Bulldog Initiative which is run by Charlie Winfield. If 300 of our 10K fans that show up every game- not to mention our thousands around the country who can't go and are just as hardcore and loyal donate 1000 dollar to the initiative we could get an elite talent. We have the resources to do that. Even if we give 100 dollars or 10 dollars that all helps. If 3000 of our fans donate 100 dollars it's the same difference as 300 donating 1000. And we have the fanbase to do that too.

Doing that could be a game changer with a player like Bradley Loftin or Dakota Jordan. In fact if I'm Lemonis those are the two prospects I'm targeting with NIL money. And I'd even kick the tires on Jett Williams with NIL because what could it hurt? Worst case scenario he goes pro like everyone expected.

The other thing is we need to join the Dugout Club because that's going to help MSU baseball as well.

Todd4State
05-25-2022, 10:57 PM
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-2022-bonus-pools-pick-values

Reference for where I'm getting my information about draft slots.

Todd4State
05-25-2022, 11:00 PM

I'm sure we'll try to get some players from the PAC 12 and other P5 schools that aren't in the Big 10. We'll see how many we land.

I expect us to be very aggressive in the portal. We'll see how it shakes out.

confucius say
05-26-2022, 08:28 AM

Yep. And that's an issue in baseball too.
Going to have to be smart about how we spend money. Which has always been the case honestly. We've always had less money than everybody else in the league

PMDawg
05-26-2022, 08:28 AM
We've got a damn mess.

This is all that really matters. It's a mess, and it's Lemonis's doing. He gets a pass this year, because he brought home the trophy last year. I'm not even mad about this year really. We won it all last year; hard to be mad. But, if he doesn't get this turned around, next year looks like this year, recruiting doesn't pick up, and next offseason starts out like this offseason...all bets are off in my book.

The Federalist Engineer
05-26-2022, 11:37 AM
I'm sure we'll try to get some players from the PAC 12 and other P5 schools that aren't in the Big 10. We'll see how many we land.

I expect us to be very aggressive in the portal. We'll see how it shakes out.

More portal porn:

Georgia Tech got a Portal 2B from UAB this year. At UAB, the kid hit 220 the previous season. For GT, he hit 420 and a 500 OBP. The ultimate Lead Off man.

GT also transferred in a MIF from Louisville. At Louisville, did not even play much. At GT he hits 318 and 18 HR and 54 RBI. Basically matching Berry and Dylan Crews at LSU.

GT even transferred in a kid from a girls school in Memphis (Rhodes) and he became a 55 inning man and occasional conference starter.

So, GT got 4 players and 3 contributed and 2 contributed like All Americans. None would have costed any money, just good scouting and roster management.

StarkVegasSteve
05-26-2022, 01:43 PM
More portal porn:

Georgia Tech got a Portal 2B from UAB this year. At UAB, the kid hit 220 the previous season. For GT, he hit 420 and a 500 OBP. The ultimate Lead Off man.

GT also transferred in a MIF from Louisville. At Louisville, did not even play much. At GT he hits 318 and 18 HR and 54 RBI. Basically matching Berry and Dylan Crews at LSU.

GT even transferred in a kid from a girls school in Memphis (Rhodes) and he became a 55 inning man and occasional conference starter.

So, GT got 4 players and 3 contributed and 2 contributed like All Americans. None would have costed any money, just good scouting and roster management.

I think our ultimate failure last offseason, and it has been said a few times, is that we got comfortable in what we had instead of trying to get better. We became too loyal. In this day and age loyalty is going to have to take a backseat. If the guy is a difference maker then you bring him in, no matter who you piss off. THE TEAM THE TEAM THE TEAM

Tbonewannabe
05-26-2022, 03:13 PM
I think our ultimate failure last offseason, and it has been said a few times, is that we got comfortable in what we had instead of trying to get better. We became too loyal. In this day and age loyalty is going to have to take a backseat. If the guy is a difference maker then you bring him in, no matter who you piss off. THE TEAM THE TEAM THE TEAM

I think we had some key injuries where we couldn't afford it along with maybe resting on our laurels. We didn't have the Mangum, TA, or Rowdey to kick people in the ass and get it going. Once we were forced to use Preston Johnson and Brandon Smith as starters, our main inning eaters out of the bullpen were gone. It would have probably taken 3 or 4 guys to absorb those innings and no one stepped up. I am actually disappointed that Jack Walker didn't pitch better. I had high hopes that he could lock down the mid week starter or at least long relief on the weekends.

BrunswickDawg
05-26-2022, 03:35 PM
I think we had some key injuries where we couldn't afford it along with maybe resting on our laurels. We didn't have the Mangum, TA, or Rowdey to kick people in the ass and get it going. Once we were forced to use Preston Johnson and Brandon Smith as starters, our main inning eaters out of the bullpen were gone. It would have probably taken 3 or 4 guys to absorb those innings and no one stepped up. I am actually disappointed that Jack Walker didn't pitch better. I had high hopes that he could lock down the mid week starter or at least long relief on the weekends.

Add another factor to what you and SVS said - unless you were a starter or top reliever in 2020 or 2021, you've had no opportunity to develop. COVID killed the '20 season and summer ball; the expanded rosters in '21 cut innings; and the CWS cut '21 summer ball time. So we have 3rd year players who have barely seen the field that normally would have been playing a good bit in mid-week and had 2 years of summer ball. When added to A & B, that's not a solid recipe for a pitching staff.

StarkVegasSteve
05-26-2022, 04:39 PM
Add another factor to what you and SVS said - unless you were a starter or top reliever in 2020 or 2021, you've had no opportunity to develop. COVID killed the '20 season and summer ball; the expanded rosters in '21 cut innings; and the CWS cut '21 summer ball time. So we have 3rd year players who have barely seen the field that normally would have been playing a good bit in mid-week and had 2 years of summer ball. When added to A & B, that's not a solid recipe for a pitching staff.

Another good point. Most guys have 2+ months to work stuff out and hone their skills in summer leagues and our guys had right at a month or a little less. Add that to COVID, injuries, and resting on our laurels and it really is not hard to see how we struggled on the mound.