PDA

View Full Version : Baseball question for; c34, cc24, t4s, and anybody else that closely follows baseball

Offshore Dawg
05-21-2022, 05:28 PM
Who is leaving, who should leave, and who might leave?

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2022, 06:01 PM
Leaving:

Talley
Yeager
Davis
Leggett
Walling
Brandon Smith
Tullar
Cumbest
Tanner
Higgins
Bane
Montiel
Sims
Stinnett

Should Leave:

Tepper
Meche
McGowan

50/50:

James
Clark
Hancock
Fristoe
Johnson
Skinner
KC
Chance

The easier question is who is definitely back:

Hines
Cade Smith
Forsythe
Pico
Alford
Downs
Corder

CadaverDawg
05-21-2022, 06:21 PM
https://c.tenor.com/ODXp2dVNDfYAAAAC/yikes-jim-halpert.gif

Offshore Dawg
05-21-2022, 06:40 PM
That is a lot of players.

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2022, 06:43 PM
That is a lot of players.

Which is why I have said since April that we probably need 4-5 pitchers and 5-6 position players in the portal. We already have one position player.

maroonmania
05-21-2022, 06:51 PM
Yep, not sure it's possible to find enough in the transfer portal to salvage next year. Especially if Cade Smith is seriously injured.

CaptainObvious
05-21-2022, 07:01 PM
Yep, not sure it's possible to find enough in the transfer portal to salvage next year. Especially if Cade Smith is seriously injured.

I?ll say again. We need to sign dual position players from Juco or Portal. We need at least 3 position players who can hit and pitch equally as good. That would help immediately with the scholly limitations.

MafiaDawg
05-21-2022, 07:41 PM
Good list. A couple thoughts or disagreements. - Logan tanner is somehow a big, slow, singles hitter whose arm has digressed. That?s not going to work long term.

I would like to see tepper back. I think there is talent there.

Skinner needs to go. So does corder probably.

Hancock needs to stay. He has a 0% chance at making the bigs, ever. He?s a pretty good college player.

Where are KC Hunt/fristoe/Johnson going to go? They have a chance to raise their stock. Or should I say get some stock. Unless we tell fristoe to move on.

I assume cheatem is back? And siebert gets told to move on?

Hope to see lots of new faces because the current ones are not very good at baseball.

Coach34
05-21-2022, 07:54 PM
Hancock and Johnson are very likely gone as well. I'd almost put Presto in the 100% category. He made money this Spring and has to go or his bonus next year will get that Sr discount.

Coach34
05-21-2022, 07:58 PM
Hancock needs to stay. He has a 0% chance at making the bigs, ever. He?s a pretty good college player.

Where are KC Hunt/fristoe/Johnson going to go? They have a chance to raise their stock. Or should I say get some stock. Unless we tell fristoe to move on.

I agree on Hancock. They gonna offer a Twix Bar and Pepsi this June or next June either way. Enjoy SEC ball another year and catch.

Hunt has the frame and arm scouts like. Hunt could be drafted high enough to move on. I hope he returns because he does have 2 years left thanks to C19

MafiaDawg
05-21-2022, 07:59 PM
That?s a lot of ?pro? players from a DFL team. Something aint adding up. Only 20 rounds. Lot of players from teams who actually made the tourney may have something to say about that.

Coach34
05-21-2022, 08:07 PM
That?s a lot of ?pro? players from a DFL team. Something aint adding up. Only 20 rounds. Lot of players from teams who actually made the tourney may have something to say about that.

We were one of the best offenses in the SEC even without being clutch- the pitching was the problem. Wont be alot of arms drafted. Stone Simmons is someone not mentioned that could return.

Todd4State
05-21-2022, 11:06 PM
https://c.tenor.com/ODXp2dVNDfYAAAAC/yikes-jim-halpert.gif

Not really. I think starting over may not be the worst thing for us.

Todd4State
05-21-2022, 11:07 PM
Good list. A couple thoughts or disagreements. - Logan tanner is somehow a big, slow, singles hitter whose arm has digressed. That?s not going to work long term.

I would like to see tepper back. I think there is talent there.

Skinner needs to go. So does corder probably.

I assume cheatem is back? And siebert gets told to move on?

Hope to see lots of new faces because the current ones are not very good at baseball.

I agree with all of this.

Saltydog
05-22-2022, 09:14 AM
Corder should go to. He was absolute shit this year. He's a backup at best. If he's our starter in CF next year, we're in bad shape.

maroonmania
05-22-2022, 09:28 AM
I think the best we can hope for next year is to use the portal and hope a few players develop enough that we get back into the middle of the pack in the SEC and get in postseason somewhere. If Lemonis somehow gets us back into a hosting position next year then I will consider him a pure magician. I think it's likely going to take more than one season to straighten out this mess.

KOdawg1
05-22-2022, 09:34 AM
Not really. I think starting over may not be the worst thing for us.
That's my thinking. The team sucked this year. Can we really get worse if some of these dudes go away?

WSOPdawg
05-22-2022, 10:03 AM

Definitely this... For the most part, our #3 and #4 hitters in the lineup contributed 16 and 15 extra base hits, respectively, this year... a really WTF season-long cluster17, especially when you had Yeager, Hines, Kellum and Cumbest doubling those totals.

Luke - 9 doubles, 7 HR
Logan - 8 doubles, 7 HR

Yeager - 15-2Bs, 1-3B, 18 HR (34 extra base hits)
Hines - 13-2Bs 1-3B, 16 HR (30 xbh)
Kellum - 12-2B, 1-3B, 14 HR (27 xbh)
Cumbest - 12-2B, 15 HR (27 xbh)

I know you're wanting your OBA guys on ahead of the power bats, but our 3- & 4-hole hitters were 4th & 5th on the team in RBI... definitely makes the case that Lemonis ran with the wrong lineup all season. But again, our MAJOR problem this year was pitching so I'm probably splitting hairs with my argument on the batting lineup.

tcdog70
05-22-2022, 10:29 AM
Definitely this... For the most part, our #3 and #4 hitters in the lineup contributed 16 and 15 extra base hits, respectively, this year... a really WTF season-long cluster17, especially when you had Yeager, Hines, Kellum and Cumbest doubling those totals.

Luke - 9 doubles, 7 HR
Logan - 8 doubles, 7 HR

I know you're wanting your OBA guys on ahead of the power bats, but our 3- & 4-hole hitters were 4th & 5th on the team in RBI... definitely makes the case that Lemonis ran with the wrong lineup all season. But again, our MAJOR problem this year was pitching so I'm probably splitting hairs with my argument on the batting lineup.

This is why I asked a month ago to move them down in the order. Why would you leave them at the top of the order? Another shitty Coaching job.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2022, 08:44 PM

Luke - 9 doubles, 7 HR
Logan - 8 doubles, 7 HR

Great post, and shocking stats. What was Lemonis doing keeping the lineup the same. Head scratcher

Homedawg
05-22-2022, 09:09 PM
Hancock and Johnson are very likely gone as well. I'd almost put Presto in the 100% category. He made money this Spring and has to go or his bonus next year will get that Sr discount.

Agree. Preston has no reason to come back. He's old and will get drafted. Hancock?? Who knows. If he gets a shot, he's gone. But will he?

Commercecomet24
05-22-2022, 09:29 PM
Agree. Preston has no reason to come back. He's old and will get drafted. Hancock?? Who knows. If he gets a shot, he's gone. But will he?

On Hancock I'm about 99% sure he won't be drafted based on what I've heard and especially with the draft not being as many rounds as it used to be. And even if he is it'll be low and they'll offer him a snickers and a Coke bonus. Will he comeback either way though, like you said who knows. If he wants any shot at pro ball though about his only chance is to comeback and a catch and maybe attract some attention from scouts as a catcher. He may just be ready to move on and get on with his life too. I would like to see him comeback and fill that catcher hole for us. Think there'll probably be some pretty serious turnover for this coming season for us.

confucius say
05-22-2022, 10:05 PM
Luke already has one NIL deal and possibly another if he comes back.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2022, 10:53 PM
Would love to see Preston and Luke come back.

That would be Friday night starter and starting catcher.

Hines at 1B, Forsythe at SS.

Any chance Clark or James stay? I know everyone is frustrated, but I'd really like to see these guys stay and try to turn it around for the program. Neither has played to their potential yet

StarkVegasSteve
05-22-2022, 11:05 PM
Luke is not coming back.

Todd4State
05-23-2022, 12:05 AM
Would love to see Preston and Luke come back.

That would be Friday night starter and starting catcher.

Hines at 1B, Forsythe at SS.

Any chance Clark or James stay? I know everyone is frustrated, but I'd really like to see these guys stay and try to turn it around for the program. Neither has played to their potential yet

Good chance on Clark. Maybe James. Although if he gets drafted he will probably go.

Todd4State
05-23-2022, 12:12 AM
On Hancock I'm about 99% sure he won't be drafted based on what I've heard and especially with the draft not being as many rounds as it used to be. And even if he is it'll be low and they'll offer him a snickers and a Coke bonus. Will he comeback either way though, like you said who knows. If he wants any shot at pro ball though about his only chance is to comeback and a catch and maybe attract some attention from scouts as a catcher. He may just be ready to move on and get on with his life too. I would like to see him comeback and fill that catcher hole for us. Think there'll probably be some pretty serious turnover for this coming season for us.

He may be the first player that comes back to MSU because of NIL.

There is going to be maybe the biggest turnover in my fan lifetime. I'm expecting us to have a completely different team next year. I think we're going to hit the portal even harder than I anticipated. The only ones I fully expect back are Cade Smith, Hines, Kellum, Pico, Down, Alford, and Forsythe. The rest of the team will be a combination of freshmen, JUCO's, transfers from the portal, and maybe a couple of guys like Hancock coming back. Fall is going to be pretty wild and competitive at all positions. Except first base.

msubaseball5976
05-23-2022, 04:12 AM
Don’t know what you’ve heard but I know for a fact he received offers last year and had a comparable if not better year this year with over .400 OBP and only 20 Ks. No sense in saying you’re 99% sure someone won’t get drafted when you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

The Federalist Engineer
05-23-2022, 07:17 AM
Just information- similar size contact Lefty hitter with low Pop...

Josh Hatcher became a beast at Kennasaw State 397 hitter, 9 HR, 25 2B, 45 RBI, +600 SLG, and +450 OBP. Stole 11 bases.