PDA

View Full Version : Stone Blanton

Cowbell
05-21-2022, 10:30 AM
Talk about a guy that can hit dingers. He showed out in the post-season. Was he a strikeout machine too or what's the deal there? I hope he's not a guy we regret not closing the deal on...

Pancho
05-21-2022, 11:16 AM
he won't be an immediate impact guy early on.

Homedawg
05-21-2022, 11:45 AM
If he continues w football he won't ever step on the field in baseball. And even if he does i just can't see it.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-21-2022, 02:57 PM
I like Stone. But I can’t see him playing both at this level. I think he should focus on football. Playing both sports in the SEC is almost impossible.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Ole Miss didnt want him or he would have signed with them.

Pancho
05-21-2022, 04:08 PM
cuz he wanted to be a dual sport guy there just as he wanted too here. USC was the only school to agree to that.

Bothrops
05-21-2022, 05:30 PM
Football guy

Pancho
05-21-2022, 05:35 PM
this

Schultzy
05-22-2022, 06:17 AM
cuz he wanted to be a dual sport guy there just as he wanted too here. USC was the only school to agree to that.

Smart by USC, the kid will get to college and realize on his own after a year he needs to choose a sport.

OLJWales
05-22-2022, 10:35 AM
Smart by USC, the kid will get to college and realize on his own after a year he needs to choose a sport.

Yep. Cumbest figgered it out. Prime Time did it well , BO did it well, and who wuz dat other dude who played hoops & football then went on to a successful NBA career? Takes amazing talent to pull that off. Very few can.

Noxdog
05-22-2022, 10:40 AM
Yep. Cumbest figgered it out. Prime Time did it well , BO did it well, and who wuz dat other dude who played hoops & football then went on to a successful NBA career? Takes amazing talent to pull that off. Very few can.

Charlie Ward.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-22-2022, 01:43 PM
This is the SEC. It’s the premier baseball and football conference in the country. Blanton is a good player, but he’s not the same athlete as Bo Jackson, or Deion, or Charlie Ward.

I think to fully reach his potential, he should play one sport. I don’t believe he can reach his potential in either sport if he plays both.

OLJWales
05-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Charlie Ward.

Thanks. Went to check on Charlie and found that he coulda eventually worked his way up the NBA coaching ladder but chose family time instead and took a coaching job at a small private school in Houston with a heavy Christian Emphasis. Was an assistant initially with both football & hoops and now he's their football HC. I like this guy. Not looking for stardom, just quality family living.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-22-2022, 05:02 PM
A few with real success are:

Deion Sanders
Bo Jackson
Charlie Ward
Jameis Winston

Julius Peppers is the only player to play in both an NFL Super Bowl and an NCAA basketball final four

Frank Thomas tried some football at Auburn. Todd Helton backed up Heath Shuler and Peyton Manning in football, and actually started a few football games. Alabama had a linebacker, Keith Holcombe, who did pretty well recently in both sports. Jerion Ealy and John Rys Plumlee tried it but could only make an impact in one sport. Cumbest has only made an impact in baseball.

It's tough to do both. It's even tougher to do both in the best college conference in America.

Schultzy
05-22-2022, 07:46 PM
Who was the South Carolina football/point guard who was so good at both a few years ago?

SteelCurtain74
05-22-2022, 08:14 PM
Who was the South Carolina football/point guard who was so good at both a few years ago?

Bruce Ellington.

My 2 cents is he needs to focus on football. He hit .250 this year with 1/3 of his hits being homeruns. I don't see him playing SEC baseball.

Coach34
05-22-2022, 08:32 PM
if he really hit .250 in that league then he is not even juco material

Homedawg
05-22-2022, 09:11 PM
if he really hit .250 in that league then he is not even juco material

He's not a d1 player.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-22-2022, 09:20 PM
He's not a d1 player.

He can play D1 football. But I agree that I just don’t see him playing baseball at this level. I just don’t see SEC baseball talent from Stone. And I certainly don’t see it if he misses fall baseball because he’s playing football.

BrunswickDawg
05-23-2022, 08:08 AM
Y'all forgot one of the unheralded 2 sport players of the 80s and 90s - Brian Jordan. 2 sport player for the University of Richmond Spiders. Pro Bowl DB for the Falcons in '91, MLB All-Star for the Braves in '99. Now - he did quit the NFL once he made the Majors, but dude could play.

tcdog70
05-23-2022, 08:14 AM

The Rifleman--Chuck Connors--played both in the Pros

OLJWales
05-23-2022, 11:07 AM
The Rifleman--Chuck Connors--played both in the Pros

Watch an episode last night as I do often. Chuck was the first NBA Player to shatter a back board. Made the roster for Celtics & Cubs.