PDA

View Full Version : Who would have thought a few weeks ago

MetEdDawg
11-23-2013, 05:12 PM
that our most impactful senior at this point besides Gabe would be Nickoe. Coming off the two personal fouls and an ejection, I thought he might not play another snap. Came up big today. But how about another turn of events. These are our seniors for this year:

1. Tyler Russell (Had arguably the best statistical season a QB has ever had at MSU last year): Often injured and has been replaced by Dak (sophomore) and Damian Williams (true freshman)

2. LaDarius Perkins (2nd all time in MSU history in All Purpose yards): Injured and has been replaced by Josh Robinson (sophomore)

3. Deontae Skinner (2nd in returning tackles from last year) Was injured and out for a few weeks and looks to have been replaced or at least splitting significant reps with Beniquez Brown (freshman)

4. Denico Autry: Still getting a lot of snaps but has lost reps to a number of DEs rotating around. He really has not been much of a factor this year.

5. Gabe Jackson: Still doing his thing. 1st or 2nd rounder and possibly the most talented OL we've ever had.

6. Nickoe Whitley: Has been replaced at times by Deontay Evans but for the most part has played pretty well this year. Still sucks in pass coverage but has played pretty decent.

7. Charles Siddoway: He's done alright. Is a marginally effective RT and I think we can replace him next year fairly easily.

So we have 7 seniors this year and 4 of them have lost significant snaps to underclassmen. This is where our biggest problem is I think. Who is the on field general? Senior at the QB position has either been injured or replaced because he's clearly not the best QB for the team. Senior RB been injured and isn't the best RB we have. Senior DL isn't even close to the best guy on the line. Senior LB may not be as good as his freshman replacement. We are missing leadership on this team and I think that has shown many times this year. I just think this is an interesting dynamic for this team that our senior leadership really aren't leaders any more because they aren't even the best guy at their position and aren't on the field all the time like most seniors are.