PDA

View Full Version : Lineup for Next Week

StarkVegasSteve
05-15-2022, 03:36 PM
So since this season is shot to hell and has been since that Saturday in NOLA and we are going to get massacred next week maybe we should try a different lineup. Something like:

1. Yeager SS
2. Hancock DH
3. Tanner C
4. Hines 1B
5. Alford 3B
6. Cumbest LF
7. Downs 2B
8. Corder CF
9. Clark RF

We need to see what we got and see just how agressive we need to be in the portal. We already know we need at least 3 pitchers and 3 position players. We need to make sure that number for position players is not closer to 5.

Coach34
05-15-2022, 03:50 PM
You dont make a line-up without James in it.

Tanner
Yeager
Cumbust
Hancock

likely gone

James
Clark

Will have to see what the draft says

We need a SS, C, CF, and 2B most likely. Maybe get James back to play CF if we are lucky

Commercecomet24
05-15-2022, 04:05 PM

Tanner
Yeager
Cumbust
Hancock

likely gone

James
Clark

We need a SS, C, CF, and 2B most likely. Maybe get James back to play CF if we are lucky

Clark maybe gone but he's not gonna get drafted high at all. I've talked to some scouts and his stock is not good at all. Comeback next year and have a good year and he can make some money. He's not gonna make any in the draft this year. And you maybe right and he's gone but he needs to stay.

BeardoMSU
05-15-2022, 04:32 PM
Clark maybe gone but he's not gonna get drafted high at all. I've talked to some scouts and his stock is not good at all. Comeback next year and have a good year and he can make some money. He's not gonna make any in draft this year. And you maybe right and he's gone but he needs to stay.

I had big hopes for him this year, as did all of us I'm sure.

AROB44
05-15-2022, 05:00 PM
We have a SS in Forsyth. And a damn good one. Hope he doesn't transfer.

StarkVegasSteve
05-15-2022, 05:16 PM

I have him out because of injury. He would be in there otherwise. No reason to risk further injury. Just hold him out this weekend and let him heal fully.

Commercecomet24
05-15-2022, 05:21 PM

100% agree.

msstate7
05-15-2022, 05:22 PM

Tanner
Yeager
Cumbust
Hancock

likely gone

James
Clark

I don't really see what draft eligible guys would return for. They got their ring already

WSOPdawg
05-15-2022, 05:28 PM
I don't really see what draft eligible guys would return for. They got their ring already

Agree, especially our 3-hole hitter (until this weekend) who won't get drafted. Can't believe Lemonis ran with Luke at the top of the lineup all season.

StarkVegasSteve
05-15-2022, 05:30 PM

Which was my point of leaving James out. We need to figure out what we have. I would love to leave Cumbest and Clark out too, but unless we are going to start Skinner and Davis, which I doubt happens, we will have to start 2 of either James, Cumbest, and Clark.

Commercecomet24
05-15-2022, 05:35 PM

Some may not get drafted, even being eligible. The draft is much shorter now. Now some may want to just move on with their lives.

EdwardDrayton
05-15-2022, 05:52 PM
We have a large enough sample size to know what we have and what we need. Do not think there is any mystery left to that.

The Federalist Engineer
05-15-2022, 05:57 PM
Which was my point of leaving James out. We need to figure out what we have. I would love to leave Cumbest and Clark out too, but unless we are going to start Skinner and Davis, which I doubt happens, we will have to start 2 of either James, Cumbest, and Clark.

I think it's clear what MSU has, there is not a secret weapon or savior. I think you let the vets have a last stand, many have rings and deserve the respect. You need to sell-out to stop the losing streak. Play to win the game. Pretend this is the MSU SuperRegional.

Von Seibert, Leggett, McGowan, Downs, Alford, Meche and Skinner would be starters if they could beat out the cats ahead. The only question is if the experiments were too short, but they all got opportunity.

Pitching wise, the same issue. There is not a single roster player that did not get a chance.

Maybe Vitello decides to give his Aces and studs a rest, since the Vols are playing a last place team.

StarkVegasSteve
05-15-2022, 06:06 PM
I think it's clear what MSU has, there is not a secret weapon or savior. I think you let the vets have a last stand, many have rings and deserve the respect. You need to sell-out to stop the losing streak. Play to win the game. Pretend this is the MSU SuperRegional.

Von Seibert, Leggett, McGowan, Downs, Alford, Meche and Skinner would be starters if they could beat out the cats ahead. The only question is if the experiments were too short, but they all got opportunity.

Pitching wise, the same issue. There is not a single roster player that did not get a chance.

Maybe Vitello decides to give his Aces and studs a rest, since the Vols are playing a last place team.

We have honored them all enough at this point. Telling them their s*** don?t stink for 8 months is one of the reasons we are in this mess. Time to move on. As I have said 100 times since July, One Not Done should have been the motto, instead we treated them like gods and gave them this false sense of entitlement. Time to see what we got for the future against the best. If they can do it against Tennessee then there is hope for us.

EdwardDrayton
05-15-2022, 08:09 PM
So since this season is shot to hell and has been since that Saturday in NOLA and we are going to get massacred next week maybe we should try a different lineup. Something like:

1. Yeager SS
2. Hancock DH
3. Tanner C
4. Hines 1B
5. Alford 3B
6. Cumbest LF
7. Downs 2B
8. Corder CF
9. Clark RF

We need to see what we got and see just how agressive we need to be in the portal. We already know we need at least 3 pitchers and 3 position players. We need to make sure that number for position players is not closer to 5.

I can DH and guarantee no solo home run.

Homedawg
05-15-2022, 08:27 PM
Clark maybe gone but he's not gonna get drafted high at all. I've talked to some scouts and his stock is not good at all. Comeback next year and have a good year and he can make some money. He's not gonna make any in the draft this year. And you maybe right and he's gone but he needs to stay.

Clark isn't going anywhere. James I'd be shocked to see him back.

Cooterpoot
05-15-2022, 08:31 PM
I'd put Mia Davidson in the 4 hole

Coach34
05-15-2022, 08:34 PM
James and Clark both can return to improve their draft stock. Thanks to Covid James still has leverage. Clark probably hasnt helped himself enough and should return.

Coach34
05-15-2022, 08:35 PM

If his number really is what I heard it is- he will be in maroon again

msstate7
05-15-2022, 08:42 PM

Clark and Hancock would give us a shot at a rebound season

Commercecomet24
05-15-2022, 08:55 PM

Agreed.

Schultzy
05-15-2022, 08:57 PM
Clark with that 6’4” frame can, only if he stops crowding the plate.

Todd4State
05-15-2022, 09:06 PM

This is the first year of a MLB draft with NIL. We'll see what happens but with the slot system in place plus the fact that we can offer NIL for the first time ever we're going to have a much better chance of keeping guys drafted after the 10th round. With NIL there is a chance that guys that come back to MSU for their senior year may actually end up making more money than leaving after their junior year because they can get NIL money plus roughly the same bonus money even after they have given up leverage.

And we have several that may fall into that category:

KC Hunt
Luke Hancock
Kam James
Brad Cumbest
Kellum Clark

Now, no I don't expect us to keep all of those players. But keeping 2-3 is very realistic.

All of this is very new so we'll see what happens. On top of that we'll see what they decide as far as baseball scholarships this summer. That's also an unknown but it will help us retain players in the future whatever they decide.

msstate7
05-15-2022, 09:18 PM
This is the first year of a MLB draft with NIL. We'll see what happens but with the slot system in place plus the fact that we can offer NIL for the first time ever we're going to have a much better chance of keeping guys drafted after the 10th round. With NIL there is a chance that guys that come back to MSU for their senior year may actually end up making more money than leaving after their junior year because they can get NIL money plus roughly the same bonus money even after they have given up leverage.

KC Hunt
Luke Hancock
Kam James
Brad Cumbest
Kellum Clark

Now, no I don't expect us to keep all of those players. But keeping 2-3 is very realistic.

All of this is very new so we'll see what happens. On top of that we'll see what they decide as far as baseball scholarships this summer. That's also an unknown but it will help us retain players in the future whatever they decide.

Keeping 2-3 gives us a shot at turning this around

CaptainObvious
05-15-2022, 09:24 PM

Clark?s swing was built to make him a HR hitter. I am thankful that it worked last year in Omaha to break up the no hitter and lead to a victory. But he is likely a .250 hitter with lots of k?s and the occasional HR. Someone is going to have to spend an entire off season fixing that swing to make him a better hitter.

Todd4State
05-15-2022, 09:26 PM
Keeping 2-3 gives us a shot at turning this around

With the portal we have a shot to turn this around no matter who comes back.

Lot of moving parts at this point and really impossible to speculate- but we need to figure out exactly who is coming back first of all.

We also need to figure out who we're getting with our JUCO guys and recruits in. Much has been made about our "questionable" recruits but there absolutely are some that may be able to come in and help right away.

Then we can really get to the portal. And that will be influenced some by the coaching carousel.

We'll also be monitoring how our pitchers are doing this summer. If they don't show improvement I suspect there will be some cuts.

Todd4State
05-15-2022, 09:28 PM
Clark?s swing was built to make him a HR hitter. I am thankful that it worked last year in Omaha to break up the no hitter and lead to a victory. But he is likely a .250 hitter with lots of k?s and the occasional HR. Someone is going to have to spend an entire off season fixing that swing to make him a better hitter.

I think a lot of it is his approach. I think we're saying the same thing here but if he can start to become a more complete hitter by going the other way and using the whole field in general as well as protecting the plate better with two strikes he will be a much better player.

Commercecomet24
05-15-2022, 09:31 PM

I would never ever throw Clark a fastball, ever. He couldn't hit a change up to save his life and he constantly chases breaking balls. He may hit a mistake on an off speed on occasion, but he's a dead red pull hitter. No reason to throw him a fb at all. Yeah he's gonna be a 250 hitter with some power unless he makes some adjustments.

Coach34
05-15-2022, 09:36 PM
Thats what Y3 of college is for- becoming a dude that can handle those things.

Commercecomet24
05-15-2022, 09:39 PM
Thats what Y3 of college is for- becoming a dude that can handle those things.

And let's hope he does. It would be great for us and him. Win-win.

OLJWales
05-15-2022, 09:41 PM
17 STATE Baseball for the moment. 17 NIL. Hadn't watched all 7 games in a NBA Series in a while. Go Mavs.

Todd4State
05-15-2022, 10:08 PM
I would never ever throw Clark a fastball, ever. He couldn't hit a change up to save his life and he constantly chases breaking balls. He may hit a mistake on an off speed on occasion, but he's a dead red pull hitter. No reason to throw him a fb at all. Yeah he's gonna be a 250 hitter with some power unless he makes some adjustments.

It seems like every time we have runners on second and third and one out or first and second and one out he's at the plate and he strikes out.

yjnkdawg
05-15-2022, 11:00 PM
It seems like every time we have runners on second and third and one out or first and second and one out he's at the plate and he strikes out.

Seems like famine (strikeout) or feast (home run) with some of our players. RJ appears to be about the only player who tries to hit the baseball based on the pitch thrown and location, whether that is for a single, extra bases or a home run.

SilentSteel16
05-15-2022, 11:12 PM
With exceptions being TA, RJordan and Mangum : it would seem that the best pure hitters we have had meaning they go with the pitch presented to them are DaBrule and Yeager. FYI they both came from other programs with lots of ABs under their belt. The 3 mentioned above CAME to State being those types of hitters. We don’t seem to GROW a players ability to hit to all fields.

Take that for what it is worth.

TNDawg35
05-16-2022, 03:56 AM
With exceptions being TA, RJordan and Mangum : it would seem that the best pure hitters we have had meaning they go with the pitch presented to them are DaBrule and Yeager. FYI they both came from other programs with lots of ABs under their belt. The 3 mentioned above CAME to State being those types of hitters. We don’t seem to GROW a players ability to hit to all fields.

Take that for what it is worth.

This all day. How many times have we been no hit or 1/2 hit going late into the game the last few years. I honestly wish Gotro would move on. I understand the bullpen was shit this year and that’s on Foxhall. I would rather a pitcher get shelled than walk the bases loaded and then Give up a clearing double. We are better than that. How many teams have we faced that threw a freshman that come im and shoved it in our face? Where is our freshman that do that?

Now honestly I wish Lemonis would make some changes, but I just don’t see it happening this year after the title. For one, I wish we had a damn 1st base coach. I hate watching a player do it.

The portal can save us just like it did A&M. We can turn it around next year and I think we will.

One thing we can say is we all know Cohen isn’t gonna stand for baseball to suck. We all know that. As much as some of you guys hate him, he is gonna make sure baseball is taken care of period. Don’t think for one second he is gonna stand for it being this bad for 2 years, Natty or not…

If I’m Lemonis, I’m organizing some boosters right now and asking Jett, Jordan, and some other big time recruits what their number is. Write the damn checks. Get into the portal and start making calls. We should have a Ole Miss football type portal class this year with a good high school foundation to back it up…

To put it bluntly, fix it or we will get someone who can.

basedog
05-16-2022, 07:51 AM

KC Hunt
Luke Hancock
Kam James
Brad Cumbest
Kellum Clark

Not sure about keeping 2-3 players. Only two I would like is Hancock for catching and Cumbest because to me he has the biggest chance to become a decent hitter and plays a good outfield.

Todd4State
05-16-2022, 08:31 AM
Not sure about keeping 2-3 players. Only two I would like is Hancock for catching and Cumbest because to me he has the biggest chance to become a decent hitter and plays a good outfield.

All depends on the draft. I could see some guys coming back that want to go out on a better note. We'll see what happens in June.

Homedawg
05-16-2022, 08:35 AM
If Cumbest has his name called... he gone... round won't matter.

StarkVegasSteve
05-16-2022, 08:40 AM
All depends on the draft. I could see some guys coming back that want to go out on a better note. We'll see what happens in June.

So then that brings up the question of who do we want back? I have changed my mind on Cumbest probably the most since about midway through the season. I went from thinking that he needed to drop to G5 to continue to play baseball to almost hoping he comes back. I am 50/50 on Clark. There is good and bad to bringing him back. James probably needs to go ahead and get what he can in the draft. Hancock is another 50/50 one and I think it really depends on what you do at Catcher in the portal or if you think Bane or Highfill could start next year.

On the pitching side of things. I think Fristoe is gone. Either transfer or draft. Tepper is probably also gone. We will have to wait and see on KC. Brandon Smith and Preston both have eligibility left so I would lean they would come back if that is an option.

Coach34
05-16-2022, 08:58 AM
So then that brings up the question of who do we want back? I have changed my mind on Cumbest probably the most since about midway through the season. I went from thinking that he needed to drop to G5 to continue to play baseball to almost hoping he comes back. I am 50/50 on Clark. There is good and bad to bringing him back. James probably needs to go ahead and get what he can in the draft. Hancock is another 50/50 one and I think it really depends on what you do at Catcher in the portal or if you think Bane or Highfill could start next year.

On the pitching side of things. I think Fristoe is gone. Either transfer or draft. Tepper is probably also gone. We will have to wait and see on KC. Brandon Smith and Preston both have eligibility left so I would lean they would come back if that is an option.

James has 2 years left in college thanks to Chinese19. So he has draft leverage. He can work to get a number he wants or come back
Cumbest is in Y4. Highly unlikely he returns
Hancock will be a late pick if at all here in Y4. He's not getting any money of note regardless if its this year or next. Playing SEC ball 1 more time over a summer in the lower bus leagues has to be appealing.
Clark is draft age but didnt have the year he needed to go. Likely return.
KC Hunt has 2 years left so he also has draft leverage. But he's been here 3 years now and had some arm soreness. Likely to leave unless his draft stock has really dropped.

Thats based on things I've been told or just outright guessing based on the info at hand. Losing all these guys except Clark would suck

msstate7
05-16-2022, 09:17 AM
James has 2 years left in college thanks to Chinese19. So he has draft leverage. He can work to get a number he wants or come back
Cumbest is in Y4. Highly unlikely he returns
Hancock will be a late pick if at all here in Y4. He's not getting any money of note regardless if its this year or next. Playing SEC ball 1 more time over a summer in the lower bus leagues has to be appealing.
Clark is draft age but didnt have the year he needed to go. Likely return.
KC Hunt has 2 years left so he also has draft leverage. But he's been here 3 years now and had some arm soreness. Likely to leave unless his draft stock has really dropped.

Thats based on things I've been told or just outright guessing based on the info at hand. Losing all these guys except Clark would suck

Hancock proving he can be a capable catcher could help him in the draft next year imo.

confucius say
05-16-2022, 03:32 PM

Yea he turns 22 this week despite it being only his third year of college. Can't imagine he wants to be 23 getting drafted next year.