PDA

View Full Version : WOW, no ego involved

basedog
05-14-2022, 09:43 PM
Report: Former Florida head coach Dan Mullen lands offensive coordinator job at Lake Oconee Academy

Coach34
05-14-2022, 10:11 PM
So he has millions in the bank, doesnt have to recruit, and coaches offense? Cant get any better at his age

Commercecomet24
05-14-2022, 10:47 PM
So he has millions in the bank, doesnt have to recruit, and coaches offense? Cant get any better at his age

Yep living large. He may have to limit the F-bombs though!

Todd4State
05-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Is Hev coming with him? Commerce's F-bomb comment made me think about that.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
05-14-2022, 11:53 PM
Is Hev coming with him? Commerce's F-bomb comment made me think about that.

Nope, he's a bouncer in Buffalo*

Ari Gold
05-15-2022, 07:21 AM
Maybe it’s just me.. but that’s embarrassing

KOdawg1
05-15-2022, 07:24 AM
He's also gonna work tv on the weekends. So he'll get a chunk of change for that.

Cooterpoot
05-15-2022, 07:25 AM
I was expecting Smith Lake.

99jc
05-15-2022, 07:31 AM
let go my ego

somebodyshotmypaw
05-15-2022, 07:51 AM
That’s a dream. Retired at his age coaching high school ball. That’s winning in life.

FISHDAWG
05-15-2022, 08:22 AM
Lake Oconee is a pretty nice area with lots of championship golf... but like Ari- I have to think that's pretty embarrassing even if you don't need the money...... or has he finally started recruiting **

99jc
05-15-2022, 08:26 AM

This is an absolute ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. rep given

Leeshouldveflanked
05-15-2022, 09:30 AM
Mullen is set for life. I think that was goal the whole time.He can do TV, watch all of his sons golf and go with Megan to Publix. He didnt want to be the next Saban.

NCMSTFAN
05-15-2022, 11:33 AM
Just got reported that the story isn't accurate and Mullen will only assist with the football program and not be the OC

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/report-the-dan-mullen-coaching-rumor-is-not-true

AROB44
05-15-2022, 11:59 AM
He's just biding his time until he makes his triumphant return to Starkvegas to replace the Pirate!!!

MoreCowbell
05-15-2022, 12:14 PM
Deep down you know he regrets leaving us and that 2018 team. Must haunt him at night

MaroonFlounder
05-15-2022, 12:34 PM
Took a High School gig like Cannizzaro.

Ironic that they both were involved with the same woman back in the day.

OLJWales
05-15-2022, 12:37 PM
Maybe it’s just me.. but that’s embarrassing

This. He coulda done a helluva lot better. Embarrassing indeed.

Coach34
05-15-2022, 01:04 PM
This. He coulda done a helluva lot better. Embarrassing indeed.

You think a guy that already hates recruiting wants to get back into it now with NIL going on? Possibly as an asst? While he has millions in the bank Florida paid him not to come into work? And gets to spend time with his kids?

I want that kind of embarrassing life

Leeshouldveflanked
05-15-2022, 01:31 PM
You think a guy that already hates recruiting wants to get back into it now with NIL going on? Possibly as an asst? While he has millions in the bank Florida paid him not to come into work? And gets to spend time with his kids?

Yep I think Mullen is right about where he wants to be. I could see him maybe getting into the NFL one day as a coordinator or in college as one of Sabans analyst.

Commercecomet24
05-15-2022, 01:34 PM

I agree dudes got it made. Plenty of money, lot of time with family and coaching players at a level still pretty much unspoiled from all the nonsense.

WinningIsRelentless
05-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Give me that embarrassment all day.

PGHBulldogBG
05-15-2022, 02:20 PM
I feel as though Mullen almost tried to get fired at UF once NIL started happening. He definitely wants no parts of that and I don?t see him entering the college game again with the way things are going. If anything he would be a NFL assistant

BeardoMSU
05-15-2022, 02:25 PM

Can't argue with that.

was21
05-15-2022, 02:51 PM
Frankly, I don't think it's embarrassing at all. He's got it made.

State82
05-15-2022, 03:57 PM
Give me that embarrassment all day.
Everyday. And twice on Sunday.

Bothrops
05-15-2022, 04:28 PM
Yeah....I doubt he'll be doing this gig for very long. His career fate was sealed when Loafers called him up. He never imagined that would be the case.

Homedawg
05-15-2022, 06:59 PM
They are saying it's a false report....

somebodyshotmypaw
05-15-2022, 07:49 PM
Fired by Florida (or any employer for that matter) is embarrassing. Working an honest job anywhere (high school OC for example) is not embarrassing at all.

OLJWales
05-15-2022, 07:54 PM
Mullen Shoulda Quit All together cuz this is a WTF of epic proportions. He Pussied his way to Gainesville and continues on his Pu$$y Trail.

WhiskeyPirate
05-15-2022, 08:56 PM
Leach did something pretty similar I think he coached or was going to coach in key west while doing a media gig while he bided his time.

He is going to hate recruiting even more now but I imagine a job offer he likes will come open at some point.

Schultzy
05-15-2022, 09:05 PM
$ not embarrassing

Quitting on the 2014 team…

basedog
05-16-2022, 07:59 AM
Looks like Dan isn't gonna be the OC but will serve as some type of consultant developing QB's in the area. It's me but I wish him well and regardless thankful for "most" of his 9 years at Msu. Times have changed over the years with coaching salaries and the media coverage now days, it's brutal!

Todd4State
05-16-2022, 08:29 AM
Looks like Dan isn't gonna be the OC but will serve as some type of consultant developing QB's in the area. It's me but I wish him well and regardless thankful for "most" of his 9 years at Msu. Times have changed over the years with coaching salaries and the media coverage now days, it's brutal!

Yeah. We all know he hated recruiting. I think he may just want to coach football. He should be set for life unless he just can't manage his money. I could see where burnout would drive some coaches away from the profession. Same thing happened with Matt Luke.

OLJWales
05-16-2022, 10:44 AM
Yeah. We all know he hated recruiting. I think he may just want to coach football. He should be set for life unless he just can't manage his money. I could see where burnout would drive some coaches away from the profession. Same thing happened with Matt Luke.
Good post. Making me rethink my earlier post as being premature and a bit harsh. Maybe they just picked the area they wanna raise their kids & retire in and he can still do what he loves doing without all the P5 BS.

viverlibre
05-16-2022, 11:04 AM
Fired by Florida (or any employer for that matter) is embarrassing. Working an honest job anywhere (high school OC for example) is not embarrassing at all.

I think for most of us, getting a fired with a multimillion dollar buyout is not embarrassing, throw me in that briar pit!

somebodyshotmypaw
05-16-2022, 11:14 AM
I think for most of us, getting a fired with a multimillion dollar buyout is not embarrassing, throw me in that briar pit!

It would be to me. Getting fired from a job because I didn't perform to expectations would certainly be embarrassing to me. I have a high standard for myself. The money is not the issue. The issue is I performed so poorly that they want me gone. And in Mullen's case, they were willing to pay him to go away.

OLJWales
05-16-2022, 11:40 AM
It would be to me. Getting fired from a job because I didn't perform to expectations would certainly be embarrassing to me. I have a high standard for myself. The money is not the issue. The issue is I performed so poorly that they want me gone. And in Mullen's case, they were willing to pay him to go away.

There's Iron in your words too.

Johnson85
05-16-2022, 12:00 PM

No shit. I assume college is dead to him now with NIL. Even if he were willing to be an OC, I'm not sure he could coach without running people off with his style. But nothing wrong with hanging out until his son is done playing golf (or until the youngest child is out of high school; can't remember what their kid situtaion is) and then trying an assistant gig in the NFL. Or trying to do a little bit of commentary. If his heart were really in football right now, heh wouldn't have failed like he did at UF. He wouldn't have tried to coast at MSU. He clearly doesn't have it in him to live and breath football the way some of the best coaches do.

R2Dawg
05-16-2022, 12:09 PM
Deep down you know he regrets leaving us and that 2018 team. Must haunt him at night

It would never be admitted but I guarantee you that is true. Ole Megan too. I miss Piggly Wiggly.

viverlibre
05-16-2022, 12:37 PM

Glad you have that ethos, but for me when the money hit the table it'll cure the embarrassment. But I've always had a IDGF attitude, others opinions, other than my wife's/kid's, have never meant anything to me. What one perceives as other's opinions is what causes embarrassment for the most part. In my younger days, I may have had your same attitude, but I'm getting ready to shut it down in the next year, so my IDGF meter keeps expanding.

Mullen is a smarmy little b!tch, he certainly don't care other's think.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-16-2022, 01:20 PM
Glad you have that ethos, but for me when the money hit the table it'll cure the embarrassment. But I've always had a IDGF attitude, others opinions, other than my wife's/kid's, have never meant anything to me. What one perceives as other's opinions is what causes embarrassment for the most part. In my younger days, I may have had your same attitude, but I'm getting ready to shut it down in the next year, so my IDGF meter keeps expanding.

Mullen is a smarmy little b!tch, he certainly don't care other's think.

The money wouldn't matter to me. If someone called me in and said I hadn't performed up to expectation, and they had no confidence that I could perform up to expectation in the future, and was therefore fired, it would bother me a lot. Because I've always prided myself on getting it done. I've never worked a day, or an hour, or a minute, in my life with the IDGAF attitude. It's not other people's opinions that matter to me. Rather it is my work ethic and ability that I take pride in. I work every day to make the bosses say "that's the most valuable person we have and I wish everyone else was like him." That's the only way I know how to do it.

FISHDAWG
05-16-2022, 02:40 PM
The money wouldn't matter to me. If someone called me in and said I hadn't performed up to expectation, and they had no confidence that I could perform up to expectation in the future, and was therefore fired, it would bother me a lot. Because I've always prided myself on getting it done. I've never worked a day, or an hour, or a minute, in my life with the IDGAF attitude. It's not other people's opinions that matter to me. Rather it is my work ethic and ability that I take pride in. I work every day to make the bosses say "that's the most valuable person we have and I wish everyone else was like him." That's the only way I know how to do it.

I feel the same way and at some point you have to GAF in order to achieve a 6 million dollar salary to begin with.

Coach34
05-16-2022, 02:48 PM
Nobody is saying he shouldnt be embarrassed about being fired at Fla. Thats a given. Thats done and over.

Whatever he does now is fine. He's rich and doesnt have to do much

viverlibre
05-16-2022, 02:53 PM

If your boss came in and said we're going to fire you but give you a $20 mil severance OR you can keep on working here for $100k and keep your pride, i'm glad you'd stay, but for 99.999999% of humans, they are out the door with a huge smile. I'm a live and let live cat, you do you.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Nobody is saying he shouldnt be embarrassed about being fired at Fla. Thats a given. Thats done and over.

Whatever he does now is fine. He's rich and doesnt have to do much

Exactly correct. Being fired at Florida is embarrassing. But if he's working at a high school teaching kids football and helping them better themselves on the field and off, then there is nothing embarrassing about that. That's an admirable profession.

Jarius
05-16-2022, 08:36 PM

So are you at the very top of your field like Mullen was his? Mullen could have played it safe and stayed at a job at a local high school for his entire career and went 40 years coaching high schoolers without getting fired. He didn’t though. He made it to one of the top ten programs in the country which is a bigger accomplishment than 99.99999 % of the people on this board. “Getting the job done” in the SEC where it is an absolute shark tank and you get fired for winning less than 10 games at certain programs isn’t embarrassing. There are a whole bunch of excellent coaches that have gotten fired for unreasonable expectations at certain schools. People having ridiculous expectations is what got a lot of them fired, not their actual job performance. You didn’t say this specifically but if you are implying that Dan Mullen had a work ethic issue, you are wrong.

Todd4State
05-16-2022, 09:29 PM
So are you at the very top of your field like Mullen was his? Mullen could have played it safe and stayed at a job at a local high school for his entire career and went 40 years coaching high schoolers without getting fired. He didn’t though. He made it to one of the top ten programs in the country which is a bigger accomplishment than 99.99999 % of the people on this board. “Getting the job done” in the SEC where it is an absolute shark tank and you get fired for winning less than 10 games at certain programs isn’t embarrassing. There are a whole bunch of excellent coaches that have gotten fired for unreasonable expectations at certain schools. People having ridiculous expectations is what got a lot of them fired, not their actual job performance. You didn’t say this specifically but if you are implying that Dan Mullen had a work ethic issue, you are wrong.

Ironically, if he had stayed here he wouldn't have had to deal with unrealistic expectations and would have been allowed to keep his country club together for as long as he wanted.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Coach34
05-16-2022, 09:37 PM
Ironically, if he had stayed here he wouldn't have had to deal with unrealistic expectations and would have been allowed to keep his country club together for as long as he wanted.

Thats what kills me about Mullen. Hey asshole- you wanted the big job. You constantly chased it while you were coaching at State. You get it? And you dont put the work in or time to keep it. It's almost like you coasted in it and then got fired on purpose- knowing they would owe you millions.

Duckdog
05-17-2022, 08:15 AM
Took a High School gig like Cannizzaro.

Ironic that they both were involved with the same woman back in the day.

FYI that idiot got shit canned from that too. Right before high school playoffs started. There ain't no telling what that idiot did now.

Jarius
05-17-2022, 11:23 AM

I agree with that and that’s why I shook my head when he left, especially when we had that team returning. However, he went to 3 straight NY6 bowls while inheriting a team that went 4-8 the year prior to his arrival. Firing him for 1 bad year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, but I don’t feel sorry for him.

OLJWales
05-17-2022, 11:59 AM
FYI that idiot got shit canned from that too. Right before high school playoffs started. There ain't no telling what that idiot did now.

Met a TCU Grad / Insider who was unhappy that Schloss told him he was bolting to STATE. He also told me Cann is a long time friend and they talked after his shit hit the fan in Vegas. After all he told me about him, I'm convinced any "Rumors" are actual fact including sexting on the job. Said Cann has been that way his entire adult life. SAD. Unfortunately it was a one time get together cuz I'd love a scoop on WTF happened with "Schloss to STATE."

viverlibre
05-17-2022, 04:24 PM
I agree with that and that’s why I shook my head when he left, especially when we had that team returning. However, he went to 3 straight NY6 bowls while inheriting a team that went 4-8 the year prior to his arrival. Firing him for 1 bad year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, but I don’t feel sorry for him.

Supposedly Mullen's remarks at press conference, where we said something to the effect, "we'll worry about recruiting when the season is over," greatly contributed to his firing. Obviously he is smart and accomplished, and understands how important recruiting is and that it goes on 24/7, but that flippant remark didn't sit well with the fans.

Johnson85
05-17-2022, 05:01 PM
Thats what kills me about Mullen. Hey asshole- you wanted the big job. You constantly chased it while you were coaching at State. You get it? And you dont put the work in or time to keep it. It's almost like you coasted in it and then got fired on purpose- knowing they would owe you millions.

I think Mullen was a little burned out at state and legitimately thought the problem was that he didn't think he could compete for a national championship at MSU and that if he went to a new program, he'd get his fire back. And I think he was fired up for a year or so at UF, but lost his edge again and really stopped giving a 17 when he started having to put up with negative reactions to his results.

Jarius
05-17-2022, 07:23 PM
Supposedly Mullen's remarks at press conference, where we said something to the effect, "we'll worry about recruiting when the season is over," greatly contributed to his firing. Obviously he is smart and accomplished, and understands how important recruiting is and that it goes on 24/7, but that flippant remark didn't sit well with the fans.

Yea I mean he wasn’t very good at recruiting. However, he recruited just as well here as Joe Moorhead did, which everyone loved as a recruiter. Leach is also recruiting in that same area.

Johnson85
05-19-2022, 05:03 PM
Yea I mean he wasn’t very good at recruiting. However, he recruited just as well here as Joe Moorhead did, which everyone loved as a recruiter. Leach is also recruiting in that same area.

Mullen may have recruited similar based on rankings, but Moorhead did a much better job recruiting needs. He was left with a pretty imbalanced roster and huge holes that needed to be filled on the OL and that is basically the only thing he was good at.

Jarius
05-19-2022, 05:20 PM
Mullen may have recruited similar based on rankings, but Moorhead did a much better job recruiting needs. He was left with a pretty imbalanced roster and huge holes that needed to be filled on the OL and that is basically the only thing he was good at.

Mullen’s tenure here and Moorhead’s tenure here would say Mullen recruited needs much better than Moorhead did. Mullen was here for nearly a decade and did better than pretty much any of his predecessors. Seems to me the needs were being met just fine.

Coach34
05-19-2022, 08:13 PM
Mullen recruiting kids that were underrated and had to be projected what they would be 2-3 years down the road was literally his best trait as a coach. JoVester isnt in his class on that