PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we have started restructuring the signing class

AlSwearengen
05-11-2022, 07:24 AM
For baseball. Saw on the other board that a couple kids from an academy and Fancher won?t be coming to State.

msstate7
05-11-2022, 07:27 AM
So you have to start recruiting kids in the 8th grade to get them on your college baseball team, but we can drop guys at the last moment? Who do you replace them with if you have to recruit that long?

I'm not against dropping anyone BTW... I just want a team that isn't 103rd in Rpi

KOdawg1
05-11-2022, 07:30 AM
It's what needs to be done.

We've got to do a better job of evaluating. You don't win in this league by taking borderline players. Our Juco evaluations have been bad too. If you look at our JUCO players, there might be 2 who are talented enough to be on an SEC roster. I'm sorry, but Leggett, Skinner, Seibert, Corder, Tullar, Stinnett, Talley won't cut it. Throw Walling in there too even though he's a little different. Gotta do a better job of evaluating and getting better players in here.

Todd4State
05-11-2022, 08:17 AM
One- Linc Sheffield has been committed to Hinds for awhile now. Maybe a month or two.

Fancher went to this swing guru in St Louis that works with Aaron Judge who basically teaches an uppercut swing and thinks he knows more than anyone else about hitting. I think that messed him up honestly.

The third one if it's who I think you are talking about- Colton Bradley- has had some injuries this year from what I've heard. That one may be more speculation. We'll see.

Todd4State
05-11-2022, 08:18 AM
So you have to start recruiting kids in the 8th grade to get them on your college baseball team, but we can drop guys at the last moment? Who do you replace them with if you have to recruit that long?

I'm not against dropping anyone BTW... I just want a team that isn't 103rd in Rpi

Yep. And you'll be the first one bitching about them when they aren't producing here too.

They're going to be replaced with transfers from the portal probably.

Todd4State
05-11-2022, 08:21 AM
It's what needs to be done.

We've got to do a better job of evaluating. You don't win in this league by taking borderline players. Our Juco evaluations have been bad too. If you look at our JUCO players, there might be 2 who are talented enough to be on an SEC roster. I'm sorry, but Leggett, Skinner, Seibert, Corder, Tullar, Stinnett, Talley won't cut it. Throw Walling in there too even though he's a little different. Gotta do a better job of evaluating and getting better players in here.

I think JUCO ball is going to take a hit because of the portal. Why go to Hinds, Meridian, etc when you can go to USM and if you perform there potentially transfer to MSU? You'll be playing against much better competition and can show what you can do against SEC teams.

So even less reason to even look there for talent.

msstate7
05-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Yep. And you'll be the first one bitching about them when they aren't producing here too.

They're going to be replaced with transfers from the portal probably.

I'm good with replacing them in the portal. Once you go heavy with portal guys though, doesn't that pretty much become your path going forward? If you go portal, you lose those guys quickly, and you don't really have quality young players bc you went with experience. Not saying this is a bad thing...

Todd4State
05-11-2022, 08:42 AM
I'm good with replacing them in the portal. Once you go heavy with portal guys though, doesn't that pretty much become your path going forward? If you go portal, you lose those guys quickly, and you don't really have quality young players bc you went with experience. Not saying this is a bad thing...

For us I think it's a short term fix. Our 2023 class and 2024 class are both significantly better than our current one. We have no choice based on what we are losing unless we want to suffer through a disaster of a season again. We're caught up between COVID eligibility rules and changing four coaches in four years. I suspect we will be targeting older players from the portal- see RJ Yeager which won't affect the newcomers from 2024 going forward very much if at all.

Todd4State
05-11-2022, 08:45 AM
I'll also add- I don't think we're going to add as many players from the portal as some fans think. We'll get some recruits we don't expect in and some players back that we don't expect. That's going to have to be somewhat settled before we even look at the portal.

Todd4State
05-11-2022, 08:50 AM
And one more thing- our recruiting classes are changing. A lot more out of state players. A lot more higher end players. I suspect we'll see much fewer JUCO players too for a variety of reasons.

The anticipated scholarship changes are going to allow us to go after bigger fish and keep more of them. Possibly top 51-200 draft prospect players and keep them. Yes it will benefit everyone in the SEC too. But we'll be recruiting on a much more level playing field than before.

Cooterpoot
05-11-2022, 09:00 AM
One- Linc Sheffield has been committed to Hinds for awhile now. Maybe a month or two.

Fancher went to this swing guru in St Louis that works with Aaron Judge who basically teaches an uppercut swing and thinks he knows more than anyone else about hitting. I think that messed him up honestly.

The third one if it's who I think you are talking about- Colton Bradley- has had some injuries this year from what I've heard. That one may be more speculation. We'll see.

That guy is the biggest idiot in baseball, and that says a lot. But he's an entertaining Twitter follow.

Cooterpoot
05-11-2022, 09:04 AM
Look, if kids have to be offered so early, they better be prepared to be dropped when they suck. Just how it works. Being the biggest kid peters out after about 13. I know of at least two I expect to be dropped within the next year.

Coach34
05-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Look, if kids have to be offered so early, they better be prepared to be dropped when they suck.

My kids are Football/basketball- not baseball. But there's no way in hell I'd let them commit before their Jr year in HS at the earliest. People just dont have alot of sense these days. Few players know where they want to go in the 9th grade. Hell, they cant even decide on what to eat at their next meal yet.

Jarius
05-11-2022, 09:26 AM
My kids are Football/basketball- not baseball. But there's no way in hell I'd let them commit before their Jr year in HS at the earliest. People just dont have alot of sense these days. Few players know where they want to go in the 9th grade. Hell, they cant even decide on what to eat at their next meal yet.

I have always wondered why kids were recruited so early in baseball and why with a few exceptions no one really flips their commitment. I wonder if as the popularity of the sport grows that will change. I know there is a gentleman's agreement there with baseball recruiting for a lot of people but if my job depends on players then I'm not worried about that sort of thing.

msstate7

I know this is how it's done in baseball, but could you imagine having to call 14-year-olds begging them to come to your school? Damn, I hate the thought of older kids, but middle schoolers! Baseball recruiting sucks.

Cooterpoot

It's that way in baseball and softball. It's damn ridiculous. But the NCAA tried to stop it with "official offer" dates and contact limitations that didn't slow it down. Kids have to know it's meaningless. Funny thing is, the coaches complain about it too, but they still take these commitments.

msstate7
05-11-2022, 09:28 AM
I have always wondered why kids were recruited so early in baseball and why with a few exceptions no one really flips their commitment. I wonder if as the popularity of the sport grows that will change.

Doesn't baseball operate on the honor system of not recruiting a committed player? If so, just another reason why baseball recruiting sucks. I'd piss off the whole conference if I were a coach, I'd recruit whoever I wanted till they sign

StarkVegasSteve
05-11-2022, 09:42 AM
I keep seeing people say that we are going to get players back that we did not expect and I will be honest, outside of 9-10 guys I would prefer to blow up whatever this is. We need 5-6 pitchers out of the portal and 5-6 position players. I have been saying it for 3 weeks and the last 6 games have proven my thinking. If we roll any iteration of this team out there next year we will be no better, and probably much worse. This team is broken, and honestly they just are not very talented. Potential does not mean a damn thing if that potential is never realized.

Coach34
05-11-2022, 10:18 AM
I know this is how it's done in baseball, but could you imagine having to call 14-year-olds begging them to come to your school? Damn, I hate the thought of older kids, but middle schoolers! Baseball recruiting sucks.

I'm a year away from having to deal with AAU basketball. I'm really dreading that BS. Had to be the postman to father this giant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9-nNLzcWE

Homedawg
05-11-2022, 10:35 AM
I'll also add- I don't think we're going to add as many players from the portal as some fans think. We'll get some recruits we don't expect in and some players back that we don't expect. That's going to have to be somewhat settled before we even look at the portal.

Correct. We are going to hit the portal, but it's not going to be some outlandish number. Scholarship $ becomes a factor as well.

Homedawg
05-11-2022, 10:36 AM
That guy is the biggest idiot in baseball, and that says a lot. But he's an entertaining Twitter follow.

It's unreal that people pay that moron money. Fancher was lost at winston academy hit 250 ish. Good kid. Feel bad for him but he wasn't going to make it here.

HoopsDawg
05-11-2022, 11:03 AM
Doesn't baseball operate on the honor system of not recruiting a committed player? If so, just another reason why baseball recruiting sucks. I'd piss off the whole conference if I were a coach, I'd recruit whoever I wanted till they sign

Yes, that's why there's not a huge risk for the schools. Take a kid young, if he pans out, great. If not, cut him before he signs or cut him after fall practice. You can't be too hap-hazard about this b/c people figure out what is going on. But you cant take a pretty broad range.

Saltydog
05-11-2022, 11:18 AM
And exactly why are we doing this? If it's taken us this long to figure out we didn't have the rights guys then our program is in bigger trouble than I expected? Do we have lazy "mullenesque" recruiters?

Homedawg
05-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Yes, that's why there's not a huge risk for the schools. Take a kid young, if he pans out, great. If not, cut him before he signs or cut him after fall practice. You can't be too hap-hazard about this b/c people figure out what is going on. But you cant take a pretty broad range.

The problem w the "sign and cut him" is this... if he's on baseball aid and you cut him after the fall that's one less player you have. Start the year w 27 and can't add. So the ones you see "get cut" aren't on baseball aid.

Homedawg
05-11-2022, 12:34 PM
And exactly why are we doing this? If it's taken us this long to figure out we didn't have the rights guys then our program is in bigger trouble than I expected? Do we have lazy "mullenesque" recruiters?

SMH... no

StarkVegasSteve
05-11-2022, 12:37 PM

I think it probably is more of a needs thing. For example going into the season you believe that you will have Auger, Simmons, Tepper, Hunt, and Fristoe for at least 2 more years. Well now you know that Auger and Simmons are out the whole year next year probably, Simmons might could come back late May, and I would imagine at least one of Tepper, Hunt, and Fristoe will not be here next year. So all that basically means you have to get at least 3 pitchers to replace the arms you thought you would have.

You probably also thought that Clark and James would both be gone and I would say that it is a better chance that both are back than none are back. So that takes away scholarship money that you thought you had, but will now be allocated towards those players.

sandjunky
05-11-2022, 02:24 PM
It's unreal that people pay that moron money. Fancher was lost at winston academy hit 250 ish. Good kid. Feel bad for him but he wasn't going to make it here.
Talking @Teacherman I presume - guy is a gem

Cooterpoot
05-11-2022, 02:34 PM

He'll fight you...lol
Dude has used that Judge video to rip off so many people.

Commercecomet24
05-11-2022, 02:40 PM
He'll fight you...lol
Dude has used that Judge video to rip off so many people.

Yeah the guys a joke and he's made a killing off of people who want their kid to be the "next" aaron judge. He really messed Francher. Dang, kid hit 250 this year in academy ball, hate it for the young man.

Homedawg
05-11-2022, 02:53 PM

yes, unreal.

Saltydog
05-11-2022, 03:34 PM
I think it probably is more of a needs thing. For example going into the season you believe that you will have Auger, Simmons, Tepper, Hunt, and Fristoe for at least 2 more years. Well now you know that Auger and Simmons are out the whole year next year probably, Simmons might could come back late May, and I would imagine at least one of Tepper, Hunt, and Fristoe will not be here next year. So all that basically means you have to get at least 3 pitchers to replace the arms you thought you would have.

You probably also thought that Clark and James would both be gone and I would say that it is a better chance that both are back than none are back. So that takes away scholarship money that you thought you had, but will now be allocated towards those players.

Now that makes perfect sense. I thought the general consensus was that both Clark and James would leave. Not because they were exceptionally good this year but based off their potential. I would be very surprised but happy if James came back.

sandjunky
05-11-2022, 03:35 PM

yes, unreal.

The best days early on were him and Kyle Boddy (driveline guy) going at it on hitting Twitter

Homedawg
05-11-2022, 03:40 PM
The best days early on were him and Kyle Boddy (driveline guy) going at it on hitting Twitter

Never saw that. I've seen him and Jeff Frye go at it.

Ari Gold
05-11-2022, 03:48 PM
If everyone is expecting this recruiting class to come in and turn this around then I would suggest you keep yourself busy from Feb - May next year

We better not miss on some portal kids

RougeDawg
05-11-2022, 03:49 PM
I never played with or around any 14 year old who was the same player at 18+. All the guys at 14 who were destined for the big leagues never panned out. And guys who developed late, played major college ball all the way to having long big league careers. Couple guys I played with spent 8+ years in big leagues and one was an all star. The all star didn?t get any 4 yr college offers out of high school. Never stood out in college and was a late round pick. Just landed in spots where coaches actually developed and he worked.

We seem to be recruiting lazily and just picking travel ball spoiled kids, who never really had to work to be better than the competition. News alert, you have to work more the more you move up, and develop your skills.

Cowbell
05-11-2022, 07:31 PM
I have always been behind lemonis, even this season. But if he can't land portal players to turn this around in one year with our stadium, NIL money, fans that feed even the opposing players, the history we have in baseball, the history we have of putting guys in the big league - then I would say he ain't the man for the job. You literally have almost any college players that are eligible and there may be 5 schools tops that should be recruiting on our level. Us as a collective group could put together a roster of players that could compete if we had too...

Leeshouldveflanked
05-11-2022, 08:04 PM
TA, Rowdy, Bednar and Sims is why we won the Natty last year. They were the difference between a Natty and not making Hoover.

Pancho
05-11-2022, 08:08 PM
Do we have guys as good as them coming from the portal or is cohen cost cutting that also?

Cowbell
05-11-2022, 08:24 PM
TA, Rowdy, Bednar and Sims is why we won the Natty last year. They were the difference between a Natty and not making Hoover.

So what your saying is lemonis better be able to find 3-4 gems and a supporting cast?

Homedawg
05-11-2022, 08:28 PM
Do we have guys as good as them coming from the portal or is cohen cost cutting that also?

What does this even mean? Is Cohen cost cutting that too??

Pancho
05-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Leeshouldveflanked said in an earlier post that cohen was cheap and was too interested in cutting costs. I am asking if it is even possible to land guys that talented in the new NIL era if we are cutting costs. I assume that leeshoulveflanked is the only person who can adequately answer this.

confucius say
05-11-2022, 10:22 PM
Cohen has nothing to do with NIL money. At least not directly. He can't.
He is, however, fully on board with collectives or individuals or businesses giving NIL money to our players.

Pancho
05-12-2022, 05:49 AM
Some of us are fully aware of this information.