PDA

View Full Version : Is it too much to ask to get a football class like this?

msstate7
05-02-2022, 01:32 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sxpKZFtz/76-D3-F80-D-DF9-B-4-CE9-BF2-B-42-E7-D48-F708-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/GTmvZfLg)

Obviously for us, yes, yes it's too much to ask. What a dang signing class

Commercecomet24
05-02-2022, 01:47 PM
Yeah for us it's to much to ask lol. For quite awhile now there's been pretty much the same 6-8 teams that had a chance to win the NC and with the new "free agency" in college football it's probably gonna stay about those same teams accept those teams will probably get even deeper, talent wise.

DownwardDawg
05-02-2022, 02:01 PM
Yes

Hot Rock
05-02-2022, 02:33 PM
Yeah for us it's to much to ask lol. For quite awhile now there's been pretty much the same 6-8 teams that had a chance to win the NC and with the new "free agency" in college football it's probably gonna stay about those same teams accept those teams will probably get even deeper.

By for quite awhile now, if you mean my whole life (born 9-11-1963), then yes it's been that way awhile now. There was always blue bloods and then the rest. I can think of maybe 3 years 1976 Pitt, 1984 with BYU and 1990 with Colorado in my lifetime where top level teams not blue bloods won and Pitt had Tony Dorsett, the best player in the county and Johnny Majors coaching the Veer.

At one time it was worse, at least now there are scholarship limits. Before 1973 your blue bloods had unlimited scholarships. They limited D1 to 105 scholarships in 1973. In 1978 down to 95 and in 1992 down to 85. Some say a further reduction is needed.

Things got somewhat better with scholarship reductions but it never really changed anything. They guys with money always had the best players. It's the way it was and is to this day.

Commercecomet24
05-02-2022, 02:42 PM
By for quite awhile now, if you mean my whole life (born 9-11-1963), then yes it's been that way awhile now. There was always blue bloods and then the rest. I can think of maybe 3 years 1976 Pitt, 1984 with BYU and 1990 with Colorado in my lifetime where top level teams not blue bloods won and Pitt had Tony Dorsett, the best player in the county and Johnny Majors coaching the Veer.

At one time it was worse, at least now there are scholarship limits. Before 1973 your blue bloods had unlimited scholarships. They limited D1 to 105 scholarships in 1973. In 1978 down to 95 and in 1992 down to 85. Some say a further reduction is needed.

Things got somewhat better with scholarship reductions but it never really changed anything. They guys with money always had the best players. It's the way it was and is to this day.

Pretty much, lol. I was born in '65 so I know where you're coming from. I don't think scholarship reductions would do anything at this point with NIL deals going now. As you said the money always wins out.

Todd4State
05-02-2022, 02:46 PM
Can't see us getting that much NIL money. And I don't want to know what getting into a bidding war with Bama would look like.

Coach34
05-02-2022, 03:17 PM
Can't see us getting that much NIL money. And I don't want to know what getting into a bidding war with Bama would look like.

Well, by most accounts, A&M's top-rated class cost them about $28MM or so. Next year's top rated class will certainly be around 30MM

Todd4State
05-02-2022, 04:07 PM
Well, by most accounts, A&M's top-rated class cost them about $28MM or so. Next year's top rated class will certainly be around 30MM

True! And I'm guessing that's per year that these players are in college. If my guess is correct that's probably 90 million if all of those players leave after their third year. Which we both know doesn't even happen with Bama. Making it Waaaaaaayyyyyy more than 90 million.

Not to mention paying the classes behind those players too.

PGHBulldogBG
05-02-2022, 04:08 PM
It?s crazy how much money Texas and Texas A&M have and how bad they both underachieve almost every year. I?ll be curious to see if that strong recruiting class will finally spark them to be up with Bama and UGA over the next several years or if they will remain in the 7-5/8-4/9-3 Auburn, Florida, LSU category.

Todd4State
05-02-2022, 04:10 PM
It?s crazy how much money Texas and Texas A&M have and how bad they both underachieve almost every year. I?ll be curious to see if that strong recruiting class will finally spark them to be up with Bama and UGA over the next several years or if they will remain in the 7-5/8-4/9-3 Auburn, Florida, LSU category.

I think a lot of people underestimate just how good Saban is.

You have to have the ability to not only get the players into school. But the coach has to identify and develop those players. That's where Saban is superior to most.

It's two fold. For example Vanderbilt wouldn't be what they are without their endowment. But Corbin does a great job of player identification to get the best.