PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou game 3: Got to have it edition

Pages : 1 [2]

The Federalist Engineer
05-02-2022, 09:11 PM
Meh, there's plenty of blame to go around without it being blamed on one guy and that's from Lemonis down......

Because of The Championship we have to give everybody a pass on blame:

(1) J Cohen - leaving the helm did not help recruiting continuity but he also gave us the new Dude and is probably driving NCAA improvements for baseball
(2) A Cannizarro - for PDM issues. Really ruined recruiting continuity but he self recruited the GOAT in Tanner Allen, Will Bednar and Landon Sims. Basically he recruited the trinity of the Championship
(3) Lemonis - He is the skipper today, but he was the skipper in Omaha last July. Beat the mighty Vanderbilt Commodores
(4) Strickland - He destabilized Mullen, leaving behind an unattended Coach groupie. Causing JC to switch his job and then to replace AC a year later

Bottom line, we have 1st world problems. Arkansas fans would trade places with us. If Lemonis can win a Championship in 2024 after a bad 2022 and a potentially sloppy 2023, that's still very good

FISHDAWG
05-03-2022, 08:39 AM
For SEC-only stats as of 5/1 we were: 4th in batting average, 2nd in slugging, 5th in on-base %, tied for 3rd in runs scored, 1st in hits, 3rd in rbi's, 2nd in HR and 2nd in total bases. Hitting/scoring isn't the largest part of our problem. That being said, the bad offensive numbers are lack of walks (8th), K's (5th) and Sac Flies (10th). Meanwhile on the other side, we're 12th in ERA, 7th in opp. batting avg., 12th in runs allowed, 14th in walks, 10th in doubles allowed, tied for 12th in HR allowed, 10th in wild pitches, 3rd in hit batters (1st is worst).

and that tells the story ... so folks were correct in saying defense takes priority over hitting ? ... These stats tell me almost everything came down to pitching because our fielding % wasn't to bad if I remember that stat correctly

basedog
05-03-2022, 09:00 AM
I'd like to see the average with runners in scoring position, bet it's at the bottom or close to last. Pitching yes, but lack of clutch hitting is bad.

FISHDAWG
05-03-2022, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see the average with runners in scoring position, bet it's at the bottom or close to last. Pitching yes, but lack of clutch hitting is bad.

excellent point

Mjoelner34
05-03-2022, 02:07 PM

I didn't see that stat on there but I think the SAC fly and K rankings let you draw a conclusion that it isn't good. It's frustrating to waste leadoff doubles but we've wasted several 2nd and 3rd with no outs opportunities this year.

basedog
05-03-2022, 05:31 PM
I didn't see that stat on there but I think the SAC fly and K rankings let you draw a conclusion that it isn't good. It's frustrating to waste leadoff doubles but we've wasted several 2nd and 3rd with no outs opportunities this year.

How many one run games have we lost? How many games after say 6 or 7 innings with lead have we lost?

State82
05-03-2022, 06:36 PM
How many one run games have we lost? How many games after say 6 or 7 innings with lead have we lost?

You got my curiosity so I checked. SEVEN losses in one run games. One of those to Northern freaking Kentucky. And the one to Tulane after being up 10-2 or whatever it was. Among other abominations. Plus the other situations you mentioned with a lead after 6-7 innings. You're right.

Interestingly enough, we also won 7 one run games. (And several of those were against some really subpar competition.)

Commercecomet24
05-03-2022, 06:51 PM

Here's our record when leading after 6th, 7th and 8th inning:

After 6th- 17 and 3
After 7th- 15 and 2
After 8th- 16 and 2

So not near as bad as what folks seem to
think.

State82
05-03-2022, 07:32 PM

After 6th- 17 and 3
After 7th- 15 and 2
After 8th- 16 and 2

think.

No that's not nearly as bad. Good work on that

basedog
05-03-2022, 07:44 PM

After 6th- 17 and 3
After 7th- 15 and 2
After 8th- 16 and 2

think.

Thanks Cc24, I didn't have a clue.

Commercecomet24
05-03-2022, 07:50 PM
No that's not nearly as bad. Good work on that

Thanks. Gotta say I thought It would be worse too.

Commercecomet24
05-03-2022, 07:52 PM
Thanks Cc24, I didn't have a clue.

Lol I didn't have a clue either. Was curious to see. Gotta say it wasn't as bad as I thought.

basedog
05-03-2022, 08:19 PM
Lol I didn't have a clue either. Was curious to see. Gotta say it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Good news for team get the lead early and clutch hit.

Commercecomet24
05-03-2022, 08:24 PM

That would be a great plan.

basedog
05-03-2022, 09:03 PM
That would be a great plan.

Seems when we get behind we struggle scoring runs. But that is obvious I suppose.

parabrave
05-03-2022, 09:06 PM

Well Clutch hitting is not in our Vocab this year.

Todd4State
05-04-2022, 02:56 AM
Seems Ole Miss to me to say that the season was over with Sims. Certainly, Omaha or Supers were a stretch without Sims. But we are talking no SECT now. MSU has lost aces before, Arkansas lost an Ace, look at them. Freshman Brady Tygart is already closing games like Kopps.

Next year is worrisome for sure. Let's hope the sophomores make a big leap. There is a big recruiting class in 2023, but how quickly will freshman deliver and there's always a draft to factor-in.

I didn't say the season was over when Sims went down. But it definitely affected our staff and our team. Actually the combination of Sims, Simmons, and then Hunt/Auger all together is what killed this team. It's a domino effect that thinned out the bullpen.

Todd4State
05-04-2022, 03:03 AM
Meh, there's plenty of blame to go around without it being blamed on one guy and that's from Lemonis down......

He has been pretty awful this year with managing the staff as a whole. Yeah I know injuries. But it makes no sense to keep throwing Stinnett and Tullar while they get shelled but Walling has to sit? Leaves starters in way too long.

And then this "saving arms" BS where we end up not even pitching Fristoe and only use Pico for 13 pitches while we're throwing our shortstop midweek? Conceding games to try to win one later is a bad strategy in baseball. And with the injuries we've had I can't even really say that his strategy of holding guys back is working any better than having them throw 50 pitches a game which I'm not an advocate of either.

SPMT
05-04-2022, 04:52 AM
He has been pretty awful this year with managing the staff as a whole. Yeah I know injuries. But it makes no sense to keep throwing Stinnett and Tullar while they get shelled but Walling has to sit? Leaves starters in way too long.

And then this "saving arms" BS where we end up not even pitching Fristoe and only use Pico for 13 pitches while we're throwing our shortstop midweek? Conceding games to try to win one later is a bad strategy in baseball. And with the injuries we've had I can't even really say that his strategy of holding guys back is working any better than having them throw 50 pitches a game which I'm not an advocate of either.

Well conceding games worked well for him last year (SEC Tournament).

I can see some blame on recruiting, some staff management, etc. but at the end of the day the players most likely came into this year with a bit of overinflated ego. If they did, that?s my biggest complaint about Lemonis.