PDA

View Full Version : Reason number 387 why we will never be Top 5 in football again

Coach34
04-24-2022, 02:58 PM
https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/23/barry-switzer-oklahoma-nil-collective-student-athletes

starkvegasdawg
04-24-2022, 03:11 PM
Bracky will suspend three players half a season each just to be safe.

Bdawg
04-24-2022, 03:30 PM
This sport is just ruined. No team anymore. Just hopping around to who will pay the most. And somehow this wasn't supposed to affect recruiting players!! Ha yeah right!!

smootness
04-24-2022, 03:51 PM
This sport is just ruined. No team anymore. Just hopping around to who will pay the most. And somehow this wasn't supposed to affect recruiting players!! Ha yeah right!!

This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.

Offshore Dawg
04-24-2022, 04:24 PM
Remember there will always be the sidewalk fans that live and die by what happens to the team they pull for because that team wins most if not all their games. Most of these individuals never set foot in a college classroom, let alone graduated. We all know many of these people and their self-worth is based on winning football games. They will be happy that their chosen favorite team will keep that advantage.

msstate7
04-24-2022, 04:29 PM
Haha, we are gonna get destroyed year-in, year-out

was21
04-24-2022, 04:29 PM
{This}

IMissJack
04-24-2022, 04:31 PM
This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.

In my opinion it is going to die at most schools. A kid gets into school legitimately through academics and pays $25-$30K at most State schools. Football player at same school has no tuition, free food, tutor, and special everything, plus now $25-$50K in salary (NIL). Unless you are at an elite football power with a legit shot at any run at a natty, why is the first student going to emotionally support the second. I’m not saying that players at these schools have not been given benefits in the past anyway, but I am saying it was ambiguous and somewhat secret. Ignorance was bliss for the masses.

DownwardDawg
04-24-2022, 04:59 PM
Remember there will always be the sidewalk fans that live and die by what happens to the team they pull for because that team wins most if not all their games. Most of these individuals never set foot in a college classroom, let alone graduated. We all know many of these people and their self-worth is based on winning football games. They will be happy that their chosen favorite team will keep that advantage.

It's over. Just a matter of time. And it won't be long.

Matt3467
04-24-2022, 05:35 PM
I could be wrong but I seem to recall on this board people saying (in different words I'm sure) that free tuition to top schools wasn't enough.

Homedawg
04-24-2022, 06:01 PM

Great post.

Saltydog
04-24-2022, 06:39 PM

Between the NIL and the transfer portal my interest is beginning to wain in football and basketball. We're essentially done. Our baseball team should have some great NIL deals with our culture and fan base but we don't need to wait too long and let others get too far ahead of us.

maroonmania
04-24-2022, 06:43 PM

I thought most wanted the NCAA reorganized or overhauled because they rarely enforced their own rules and when they did it was total selective enforcement to make sure they didn't hurt any of the sacred cow programs. Not sure anyone wanted all the amateur rules tossed out with the bath water which is essentially what has happened now. Most of us here wanted scholarship reductions to make the sport more competitive. Free transfers and NIL is going to have the exact opposite effect makimg the sport even less competitive than it is right now. And the end result as several have mentioned is that the elite program fans will just get that much more invested while fans of all other schools will just grow more apathetic and season ticket sales will decline. It will be the haves and the have nots at a level we have never seen before.

State82
04-24-2022, 06:47 PM
Our baseball team should have some great NIL deals with our culture and fan base but we don't need to wait too long and let others get too far ahead of us.

Looks like the Vols may already have a jump but on the flip side NIL should greatly help in negating Vandy's huge advantage. You are right though, we need to get on it relentlessly.

BeardoMSU
04-24-2022, 07:00 PM

Very possible.

BeardoMSU
04-24-2022, 07:02 PM
I thought most wanted the NCAA reorganized or overhauled because they rarely enforced their own rules and when they did it was total selective enforcement to make sure they didn't hurt any of the sacred cow programs. Not sure anyone wanted all the amateur rules tossed out with the bath water which is essentially what has happened now. Most of us here wanted scholarship reductions to make the sport more competitive. Free transfers and NIL is going to have the exact opposite effect makimg the sport even less competitive than it is right now. And the end result as several have mentioned is that the elite program fans will just get that much more invested while fans of all other schools will just grow more apathetic and season ticket sales will decline. It will be the haves and the have nots at a level we have never seen before.

The importance of compromise is lost on many, in many aspects of life, sadly.

Ranchdawg
04-24-2022, 07:14 PM
To me it is truly a very sad day in college football and basketball. The days of showing up for college football games in the fall with a true desire to be a part of the greatest spectacle in all of sports is now lost for most schools. Gone are the players that really wanted to be at the university of their choice, to represent their university and go out give all they had. Now all we have are basically hired goons that don?t give a rats @#$ about us as fans, the university they play for or anything but how much they will get paid and if they can get drafted by the NFL.

For me they can have it! I won?t support it. I won?t truly care what happens on Saturday.

Bothrops
04-24-2022, 07:30 PM

This may be what they're shooting for in order to get the support for the super conference.

CadaverDawg
04-24-2022, 07:41 PM
Yeah unfortunately hoops and football for anyone outside of the blue bloods is already dying. Many just dont realize it yet bc the scores between the have and have nots havent gotten lopsided enough yet. In 5-10 years the college sports we love so much and grew up not missing a minute of, will be long gone. Baseball will follow. It's a shame. I've already gotten to where I don't care as much, and I'm sure there are many more like me. There's a reason that minor league sports have crappy attendance...it will just become more about who can buy the best team. No more playing for the pride of your university or for the passion of the game. Instead it's just a job. It's sad really.

IMissJack
04-24-2022, 08:07 PM
Yeah unfortunately hoops and football for anyone outside of the blue bloods is already dying. Many just dont realize it yet bc the scores between the have and have nots havent gotten lopsided enough yet. In 5-10 years the college sports we love so much and grew up not missing a minute of, will be long gone. Baseball will follow. It's a shame. I've already gotten to where I don't care as much, and I'm sure there are many more like me. There's a reason that minor league sports have crappy attendance...it will just become more about who can buy the best team. No more playing for the pride of your university or for the passion of the game. Instead it's just a job. It's sad really.

IMO it will only get fixed when nontraditional football schools with more money than Bama, etc. start putting together super teams and start taking the blue bloods’ candy so to speak. For example, what if Harvard, Yale, Stanford types decided to organize some of those billionaires and top 25 in football started looking like it did back in the 1920’s? I think there would suddenly be a lot of discussion about doing something.

FYI Texas A&M and Texas are going to be able to put together the best NIL packages in the SEC .

Percho
04-24-2022, 08:16 PM

I just have one thing to say, well maybe two. Amen

Build back better! Yeah good luck with that.

HoopsDawg
04-24-2022, 08:48 PM

We are in this mess because of the NCAA and the lack of leadership from the NCAA and the college Presidents. I don't think anyone knows what the hell to do now.

CadaverDawg
04-24-2022, 08:56 PM
IMO it will only get fixed when nontraditional football schools with more money than Bama, etc. start putting together super teams and start taking the blue bloods? candy so to speak. For example, what if Harvard, Yale, Stanford types decided to organize some of those billionaires and top 25 in football started looking like it did back in the 1920?s? I think there would suddenly be a lot of discussion about doing something.

FYI Texas A&M and Texas are going to be able to put together the best NIL packages in the SEC .

Good point. Who would those teams be? Could this be Vandy's Avenue to the top of college football? Joking...I think.

Maroonthirteen
04-24-2022, 09:57 PM
and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.

There isn't and never was much nil money. A buddy, his kid plays at a P5. (Not sec) He says 99% of their players have received zero in nil money.

Cooterpoot
04-25-2022, 03:31 AM
I'm still waiting on EA Sports NCAA Football. That's the only positive about NIL and they're dragging their feet on it.

confucius say
04-25-2022, 06:54 AM

I'm already approaching this point.

Liverpooldawg
04-25-2022, 08:52 AM
Good point. Who would those teams be? Could this be Vandy's Avenue to the top of college football? Joking...I think.

If Vandy wanted to they could certainly do as well as Stanford. They would have to relax academic standards to do more. If they did that then the sky would be the limit.

Kylesandi338
04-25-2022, 09:03 AM
They need to make laws that if a student makes excessive income from NIL or whatever else, they are required to pay for their education, housing, food and everything else that is included in these free ride scholarships. That would free up scholarships for folks that actually need it. If a student transfers out of a school before a certain period of time, they are required to pay back a % of what the school has invested into the player. I have always had the opinion that students on FULL scholarships get way more than they deserve. NIL and transfer portal will continue to ruin college sports except for a hand full of schools.

Offshore Dawg
04-25-2022, 09:11 AM
Looks like the Vols may already have a jump but on the flip side NIL should greatly help in negating Vandy's huge advantage. You are right though, we need to get on it relentlessly.
When someone says this, my question is how will you help ?

IMissJack
04-25-2022, 10:02 AM
If Vandy wanted to they could certainly do as well as Stanford. They would have to relax academic standards to do more. If they did that then the sky would be the limit.

They already do relax academic standards. A friend of mine had a daughter that ran cross country in HS and got a visit to Stanford. He said they told them that they will make exceptions for athletics (this was over 10 years ago). She ended up going to a Big X school on full scholly. I also doubt all these Vandy baseball players are 4.0 HS students.

RezDog7
04-25-2022, 10:51 AM

I used to have season tickets. Stopped in 2016 and just started going to a few games a year. Last year, I think I only watched 2 games from start to finish. I'd rather be hunting.

parabrave
04-25-2022, 11:12 AM
They need to make laws that if a student makes excessive income from NIL or whatever else, they are required to pay for their education, housing, food and everything else that is included in these free ride scholarships. That would free up scholarships for folks that actually need it. If a student transfers out of a school before a certain period of time, they are required to pay back a % of what the school has invested into the player. I have always had the opinion that students on FULL scholarships get way more than they deserve. NIL and transfer portal will continue to ruin college sports except for a hand full of schools.

Well all of the "Uncles" who are advising these kids will never allow it/

RougeDawg
04-25-2022, 11:19 AM
Ahhhh. Same old same old in sports as in politics. The haves use the emotion on the have nots to create an even greater divide in the haves and have nots. Same play, different arena. We are here to help the little guy, while the big guys take everyone without a brain to the cleaners. Rinse repeat.

The Federalist Engineer
04-25-2022, 11:39 AM
Barry Switzer is announcing his new money laundering scheme, I see.

The Goodfellas better take note, they can also make Rutgers a power. This press release reads like a Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan 10K on how they "make" money.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo9V994WEAE0FYn.jpg:large

KOdawg1
04-25-2022, 12:58 PM
Y'all remember when Gene teased this huge NIL announcement that was going to "change the game" for Mississippi State athletics?

Yeah, me too. Of course, nothing came of it and it ended up being a big turd burger.

MSU has historically always been slow to adapt, and this is no different. Of course, we're in a small town with limited opportunities, but winning big time in college football and basketball is a pipe dream for us now if it wasn't already.

Schultzy
04-25-2022, 02:46 PM
There isn't and never was much nil money. A buddy, his kid plays at a P5. (Not sec) He says 99% of their players have received zero in nil money.

I believe this to be true.

I read the article and yall are getting so played on this NIL stuff. Aint no damn way Oklahoma is paying every student athlete 40 to 50,000. Barry Switzer is fronting this to gin up steam for their entrance in to the SEC. Its brilliant bc he knows it will demoralize middle of the road conference fan bases and some stupid ass admins.

And Nick Sabin did the same thing with that whole we have a freshman QB whos already worth a million dollars bullshit.

He was recruiting and trying to demoralize his rivals all in one sentence and it shows how the Switzer and Sabans are a step ahead publicly without having to even show that its true.

That kindve money is not out there but your gullibility is.

Maroonthirteen
04-25-2022, 02:58 PM

I read the article and yall are getting so played on this NIL stuff. Aint no damn way Oklahoma is paying every student athlete 40 to 50,000. Barry Switzer is fronting this to gin up steam for their entrance in to the SEC. Its brilliant bc he knows it will demoralize middle of the road conference fan bases and some stupid ass admins.

And Nick Sabin did the same thing with that whole we have a freshman QB whos already worth a million dollars bullshit.

He was recruiting and trying to demoralize his rivals all in one sentence and it shows how the Switzer and Sabans are a step ahead publicly without having to even show that its true.

Bullseye. There may be "NIL" money in recruiting. But it isn't as much as been as the gossip reports. These numbers are being thrown out there to get recruits looking and visits. Then, the good old fashion recruiting can begin.

Jack Lambert
04-25-2022, 03:06 PM

Admission would keep that from happening. You can have all the money in the world but you cannot change admission standards for one group of students and not the other. No way schools like Vandy, Duke or those Ivory schools will do it. Most of these kids will not be able to enroll into those schools. This why Vandy sucks at football.

The Federalist Engineer
04-25-2022, 08:22 PM
Just asking for a friend that doesn't know anything about football. This friend watches soccer mostly before baseball starts.

Why not just rid-ourselves of Mike Leach immediately, hire a $700 per year coach like Louisiana Tech has, and then spend the excess 4M on players.

That's immediately $50K per player plus whatever else MSU is paying. Without anymore efforts to get fans to transfer church tithes, green peace donations, or saving for tuition for their-own-kids to financing gladiators for football.

My friend says that he knows of no other PROFESSIONAL sport where all the money is given to a coach, not the players

Homedawg
04-25-2022, 10:13 PM

Just going to touch on a couple of things you said- people have no idea what a "full scholarship" includes these days. This is prior to nil. Meals, room, meals. And I mean meals pretty much whenever you want them. Pell grant check( if applicable) stipend. Academic stipend... it's crazy. Add nil and MOST of the players will go into the real world and take a pay cut. And a major one if they don't make it professionally. .... too add NIL is about to make a whole lot of parents unhappy when they don't get a tax refund Bc their son/ daughter is getting a taxable benefit and they file their child on their taxes and find out not only is the refund gone but they owe taxes. And while they might not owe a lot it's different than getting a refund. Most kids aren't telling the parents they are getting a 1099 for the nil.

Bothrops
04-26-2022, 12:38 PM

Something about Barry Switzer makes me want to spray lighter fluid in his eyes.

Ezsoil
04-26-2022, 06:29 PM
FYI Texas A&M and Texas are going to be able to put together the best NIL packages in the SEC .[/QUOTE]

The culture at Texas will prevent them from ever being a legitimate contender ...A&M is the elephant in the room...they have an AD who ignores the NCAA, a coach who will recruit thugs, and contrary to what Alabama and Texas folks think, A&M has access to more NIL money than either of those. (Yes I know Texas has a bigger endowment but they are old money )