PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't we getting MBK transfers?

msstate7
04-24-2022, 07:24 AM
Maybe bc of this...

Nijel Pack transfers to Miami: Former Kansas State star to earn $800,000 in NIL deal with LifeWallet

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nijel-pack-transfers-to-miami-former-kansas-state-star-to-earn-800000-in-nil-deal-with-lifewallet/?fbclid=IwAR1lxoNGUTysGHfUVOLI0EJZ43FypDv_1ePAuZIm 51-Esev96Qp78q80rmg

I don't think college sports are gonna be good for us in the future

R2Dawg
04-24-2022, 07:28 AM
We are a middle of the pack program in all sports but baseball. I don't think for those teams much will change. The top teams though will buy their teams and be good - a pro farm league.

There are always good players that can compete and win some but just not enough for championships that play out of their passion for the game. You have less head cases and less lockerroom drama that way. Don't underestimate all these other non paid athletes that are not 5 star.

msstate7
04-24-2022, 07:32 AM
We are a middle of the pack program in all sports but baseball. I don't think for those teams much will change. The top teams though will buy their teams and be good - a pro farm league.

There are always good players that can compete and win some but just not enough for championships that play out of their passion for the game. You have less head cases and less lockerroom drama that way. Don't underestimate all these other non paid athletes that are not 5 star.

We compete in the sec though where fans care a ton. Being one of the poorest fanbases in a rural town is not a good position to be in. aTm realized their money carries weight in recruiting this year, and they won't quit now. Texas will attempt to outbid them. Georgia, lsu, bama, Oklahoma, Florida, etc are gonna do what they have to...

Quaoarsking
04-24-2022, 09:20 AM
They probably should do away with the "transfer without sitting out" rule if these huge NIL deals are allowed.

StarkVegasSteve
04-24-2022, 09:37 AM
I think the easiest thing to do, which means the NCAA will not do it, would be to basically make every recruit sign a contract when they sign their NLI. Whether it be two years, three years, etc. and if they try to transfer before the end of the contract they have to sit out the duration of the contract. If they want to be treated like pros, which I have no problem with, then make them have ramifications like pros.

Cooterpoot
04-24-2022, 09:40 AM
We are in no way a middle of the pack program. We're a low end program.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-24-2022, 10:11 AM

Hard disagree. In Basketball especially, we see Cinderella teams every March; there is the possibility that a "middle of the pack" team like us can hire a good coach, and catch the roster good, and make the Final Four. In football, there is the possibility we swing decent low 4* recruits from Bama using the playing time argument. We wont' win a Natty with those guys, but we can at least be good with them.

Now, in both sports money has always flown illegally, and the schools with money have bought players. But NIL allows them to throw around FAR more money than they could under the table... Now the elite Basketball programs will be able to buy talent even easier than before, and "middle of the pack" teams will have a harder time competing, and Cinderella stories get less and less common. In football Bama will throw so much money at that low 4* bench rider that even if the kid knows he'll be a bench rider, we can't get him to flip. We are about to get our lunch money taken by A&M because they are throwing $20+M per class in NIL deals, and the pure talent they'll have will overwhelm us.

The "haves" and "have nots" will be divided more and more, where booster $$$ is the only factor in who can separate.

State and 2/3rds of the P5 will soon feel like USM does now.

OLJWales
04-24-2022, 10:24 AM

Interesting. Wonder if you took the total P5's and came up with an upper, mid & bottom 3rd where STATE would measure up. Maybe go back 15 yrs and give more weight for each newer year?

Coach34
04-24-2022, 11:55 AM
NIL is just starting to make its impact. Football and basketball are about to be a wasteland of mediocrity for us in the coming years

sleepy dawg
04-24-2022, 05:07 PM
Isn't that what basketball already is?

Coach34
04-24-2022, 05:20 PM
Isn't that what basketball already is?

No- we've been winning around 20 games. We are headed for the 15-16 win level unless we find some money somewhere to compete in the NIL

calidawg
04-24-2022, 05:29 PM
We need to put everything possible into baseball. It's our only hope

Ranchdawg
04-24-2022, 05:38 PM
This is the reason that NIL has ruined the game for me. Bama, tam, Ga, Fl, LSU in football will buy the best players and the teams like us, Ar, Ky, Mizzu, Ole Miss, Vandy, SoCal will get scraps left over. These teams will not have the talent to compete with the haves. And in my opinion why field a team if you know before the first game that you have ZERO chance of winning a championship. How long can these have not teams fans continue to support their teams. I guess the SEC money will prop up these teams enough for them them to continue and be a automatic win for the the haves.

And basketball is basically the same. The schools fans will flow lots of money into buying players. Just don?t have to buy as many players so therefore won?t have to spend as much.

I know there are NIL deals in college baseball. But it is much more watered down. Also for us at the beginning of the season least we have a shot for playing for championship and the other schools of the SEC in baseball can?t say that. Look at USM right now they have a real shot of playing for a championship (Omaha). Do they have the money, fans, facilities NO. But they have a chance. That?s why I?m a diehard college baseball fan. The have nots have at least a shot to win. Unlike football and basketball.

CaptainObvious
04-24-2022, 05:55 PM
Exactly. I know this is a MBK thread, but the 11.7 schollies for baseball actually created our chance. And Coastal Carolina?s chance.

Give The Alabamas and Oklahomas 25 Baseball scholarships and guess what?

The next best opportunity for a middle road program is basketball. 13 scholarships- get 3 star players and 6 roll players and you can win bigly.

maroonmania
04-24-2022, 06:14 PM
NIL is just starting to make its impact. Football and basketball are about to be a wasteland of mediocrity for us in the coming years

College basketball itself is pretty much becoming a wasteland. The whole thing is a total mess. I do think we have upgraded our coaching but Jans doesn't have the built in AAU connections Howland had and was coaching in a different part of the country. Its probably going to initially be one step back to hopefully take two steps forward with our basketball program. One thing we knew was we were going nowhere with Howland unless we just got a buttload of talent. He was done as a game coach.

MarketingBully01
04-24-2022, 08:01 PM
In MBK, we will be just fine because we will be taking advantage of Adidas. Adidas wants to see its schools do well and they are going to poor big money into the NIL. I?m extremely surprised those in the ?know? haven?t been talking about this. Now football? Sure.

https://www.sportico.com/business/sponsorship/2022/adidas-nil-deals-1234669429/amp/

MarketingBully01
04-24-2022, 08:02 PM
No- we've been winning around 20 games. We are headed for the 15-16 win level unless we find some money somewhere to compete in the NIL

Adidas.

Bothrops
04-24-2022, 08:02 PM

Middle of the pack nationally is what he meant, I think.

Percho
04-24-2022, 08:09 PM
Methinks in a few years most colleges will shut down all sports. There will still be some for maybe 20/30 teams the guys playing will be rich and a lot, thousands of kids will not even be going to college.

MarketingBully01
04-24-2022, 08:10 PM

We are actually in a better position then when Pearl took Auburn over. We got the right guy leading our program. Add in the facility upgrades with a name brand like Adidas to help in NIL deals and we will be fine. I received verification that Adidas is involved. They want their teams to be successful in basketball and now their assistance is legal. You do the math. Btw, Miami is an Adidas school as well. I think A&M is the only other SEC school that?s Adidas.

SilentSteel16
04-24-2022, 10:17 PM
Methinks in a few years most colleges will shut down all sports. There will still be some for maybe 20/30 teams the guys playing will be rich and a lot, thousands of kids will not even be going to college.

There will definitely be schools that shut down certain programs and just focus on one or two sports…. I don’t think as a whole though SEC teams or major P5 teams will be drastically changed program wise… I think it will be interesting to watch schools like JSU and other schools start prioritizing certain sports with what NIL they can offer, will certainly be interesting to watch. But if you are looking for parity in basketball or football what you see now is what you will get moving forward.

D2 sports are about to be more competitive due to d1 athletes going that route due to lack opportunities because of some schools closing down certain sports

Cooterpoot
04-25-2022, 03:23 AM

We aren't that. Hell, we've been to one tourney in almost 15 years. Only made round of 32 six times ever. That's pathetic! Middle of the pack to me is making the tourney every couple years and actually winning a game or games every couple of those. Our program is bad!

TNDawg35
04-25-2022, 07:10 AM
Wonder if we could start getting 1st rounders In baseball if we put the adidas logo on the stadium and started shelling out the recruits MLB asking price… Just a thought…

NCMSTFAN
04-25-2022, 11:54 AM
Is it really all about NIL deals though? If you go look at the transfer portal, teams like Arkansas, Texas Tech, Providence, UAB, South Carolina, St. Johns, SMU etc. Have brought in really good 4 star players from the portal. Those aren't "Blue Blood" schools. Jans can coach, he has proven that, but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is an honest question to those of you who follow the NIL process because I really don't, but Providence is leading the nation so far in the transfer portal rankings. What do they offer that a team like Mississippi State can't? They had some success in the past when Ryan Gomes played there but they aren't a power house program. Also, Arkansas is #2 and Arizona State is #3

AROB44
04-25-2022, 12:58 PM
but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is a real question. Personally, I don't think so. And, our style of play and record will probably be very close to Howland's.

Bothrops
04-25-2022, 03:52 PM
but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is a real question. Personally, I don't think so. And, our style of play and record will probably be very close to Howland's.

Whoever Jans gets will play harder and better than what we are used to seeing, therefore our record will be better than what we've been used to.

msstate7
04-25-2022, 04:13 PM
Whoever Jans gets will play harder and better than what we are used to seeing, therefore our record will be better than what we've been used to.

I've never got the impression that we didn't play hard under howland. Now his coaching of the offensive game needed an upgrade.

deltadawg63
04-25-2022, 04:20 PM
Is it really all about NIL deals though? If you go look at the transfer portal, teams like Arkansas, Texas Tech, Providence, UAB, South Carolina, St. Johns, SMU etc. Have brought in really good 4 star players from the portal. Those aren't "Blue Blood" schools. Jans can coach, he has proven that, but will he be able to recruit those type of guys that Howland was able to get?

This is an honest question to those of you who follow the NIL process because I really don't, but Providence is leading the nation so far in the transfer portal rankings. What do they offer that a team like Mississippi State can't? They had some success in the past when Ryan Gomes played there but they aren't a power house program. Also, Arkansas is #2 and Arizona State is #3

Providence may not be a Power 5 school but we don't know there alums' commitment to the basketball program and it takes just one or a few to commit the funds for a collective and the desire along with coaches' desire to move aggressively in that direction to change a team very quickly when combined with the transfer portal. This new NCAA world, especially basketball, is changing so greatly and so rapidly.

I am afraid the days of building and developing your team along with good coaching may be about gone! You develop a kid and he produces and you have minimal NIL opps, he/she is gone to one who does...Pure Free Agency!

Either we have an administration not interested enough in NIL or we don't have the boosters interested enough in such because we seem well behind!

RocketDawg
04-25-2022, 04:54 PM
Maybe bc of this...

Nijel Pack transfers to Miami: Former Kansas State star to earn $800,000 in NIL deal with LifeWallet

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nijel-pack-transfers-to-miami-former-kansas-state-star-to-earn-800000-in-nil-deal-with-lifewallet/?fbclid=IwAR1lxoNGUTysGHfUVOLI0EJZ43FypDv_1ePAuZIm 51-Esev96Qp78q80rmg

Won't be good for anybody because they're no longer "college sports". Do the players still have to register and attend class?

NCMSTFAN
04-25-2022, 05:21 PM
Providence may not be a Power 5 school but we don't know there alums' commitment to the basketball program and it takes just one or a few to commit the funds for a collective and the desire along with coaches' desire to move aggressively in that direction to change a team very quickly when combined with the transfer portal. This new NCAA world, especially basketball, is changing so greatly and so rapidly.

I am afraid the days of building and developing your team along with good coaching may be about gone! You develop a kid and he produces and you have minimal NIL opps, he/she is gone to one who does...Pure Free Agency!

Either we have an administration not interested enough in NIL or we don't have the boosters interested enough in such because we seem well behind!

Correct me if I'm wrong but getting NIL money isn't directly related to Aumns and boosters right? If your good enough aren't business signing these players to deals?

I've seen alot of post saying the big schools like Georgia, Florida, UK, UNC Bama etc will just buy their players but that's not what the numbers have shown in basketball just yet.

MoreCowbell
04-25-2022, 07:23 PM
Maybe bc of this...

It is all about money now. Baseball is our only chance to be elite anymore and it is going to take a huge concentrated effort between administration, boosters and fans pulling collectively. We have no chance in football or basketball anymore. It is what it is.

MoreCowbell
04-25-2022, 07:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but getting NIL money isn't directly related to Aumns and boosters right? If your good enough aren't business signing these players to deals?

I've seen alot of post saying the big schools like Georgia, Florida, UK, UNC Bama etc will just buy their players but that's not what the numbers have shown in basketball just yet.

We can say it isn?t but it really is. $$$

MoreCowbell
04-25-2022, 07:25 PM
Did Jans have any affiliation with Adidas?

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2022, 09:56 AM
I've never got the impression that we didn't play hard under howland. Now his non-existant coaching of the offensive game needed an upgrade.

My wife liked to regularly remind me that Howland basically had no inbounds plays or actual offensive game plan. I had nothing to point to for arguments sake.

PendingTransaction
04-26-2022, 10:22 AM
All will be fine. The same 6-8 teams will continue to dominate football and basketball. Let's not pretend that we or 120 other D1 teams are losing our chance to win championships, especially in football. The battles for a 8 five-star class won't involve us.

Bothrops
04-26-2022, 12:16 PM
I've never got the impression that we didn't play hard under howland. Now his coaching of the offensive game needed an upgrade.

At times we didn't play hard, and rarely played smart. Howland is as knowledgeable about basketball as anyone in the business, but that obviously didnt translate to wins.

MoreCowbell
04-26-2022, 02:39 PM
At times we didn't play hard, and rarely played smart. Howland is as knowledgeable about basketball as anyone in the business, but that obviously didnt translate to wins.

I think the game changed and he lost his ability to communicate with todays players. He never adapted or changed with the times I dont think