PDA

View Full Version : Nothing changed last night

Cooterpoot
04-22-2022, 08:10 AM
Other than our win streak in Oxford, which would end sooner or later anyway. Go win the series and all is as fine as it was before last night. At least wait and declare us dead when we actually are. Hell, we are going to be a bubble team at best no matter what, and winning a regional would be a chore. We've known this for awhile.
Let me know when y'all start discounting your tickets. I'll probably need a few. Free would be even better, LOL.

msstate7
04-22-2022, 08:14 AM
We're 82nd in rpi - last in the sec. We are not a bubble team, lol. We have a crap load of work to do to be a bubble team

EdwardDrayton
04-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Other than our win streak in Oxford, which would end sooner or later anyway. Go win the series and all is as fine as it was before last night. At least wait and declare us dead when we actually are. Hell, we are going to be a bubble team at best no matter what, and winning a regional would be a chore. We've known this for awhile.
Let me know when y'all start discounting your tickets. I'll probably need a few. Free would be even better, LOL.

On sale now today only. And by the way, they are nonrefundable. :)

Cooterpoot
04-22-2022, 08:15 AM
We're 82nd in rpi - last in the sec. We are not a bubble team, lol. We have a crap load of work to do to be a bubble team

Meh, I said bubble team AT BEST. Go win SEC series and that takes care of itself. Lose this series, and me and the other 1500 fans will watch the rest of the season on the cheap.

msstate7
04-22-2022, 08:18 AM
Meh, I said bubble team AT BEST. Go win SEC series and that takes care of itself.

Reading is hard for me.

I agree with the "at best" part. Lose 2 of the next 3 with OM, and it's on to complaining about football

smootness
04-22-2022, 09:28 AM
We're not making a regional. Just time to accept that.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-22-2022, 09:53 AM
We're not making a regional. Just time to accept that.
The sweep at home by LSU pretty much ended the Regional hopes. We are playing Ole Miss to see who is the 2nd and 3rd best team in Mississippi this year.

Cooterpoot
04-22-2022, 10:03 AM
We play in the SEC. Our chances didn't die with LSU. That's ridiculous. This week and every weekend going forward, if we do win this weekend, will do it. Win series and we get in. Don't, we won't. You 17rs quit so easily. But you'll bitch about the players not doing their jobs and adjusting etc. We've got a similar record as FL, who is having some problems this year. That's good for middle of the pack in the East.

msstate7
04-22-2022, 10:04 AM
We play in the SEC. Our chances didn't die with LSU. That's ridiculous. This week and every weekend going forward, if we do win this weekend, will do it. Win series and we get in. Don't, we won't. You 17rs quit so easily. But you'll bitch about the players not doing their jobs and adjusting etc. We've got a similar record as FL, who is having some problems this year. That's good for middle of the pack in the East.

Florida is 7th in rpi, so we really aren't similar to them at all as far as the tourney is concerned

ETA... Florida has 5 more Q1 wins than us, and we've got 5 more Q4 wins than them.

smootness
04-22-2022, 10:39 AM

I'm not quitting, I'm just telling you where we stand. We would have to win at least 8 of our last 14 SEC games to have any shot, and unless we want to pin our hopes on winning a series against Tennessee to get in, that means winning at least 7 of our next 11 SEC games. I just don't see this team doing that. And even if we did, there's no guarantee even at 14-16 in conference that we would have the RPI to get in.

We've put ourselves in an incredibly difficult position to get in, and I don't see us doing it. That's what I'm saying.

TheLostDawg
04-22-2022, 10:41 AM
Have to win 3/5 series and win at least one game in the other two for us to have a chance.
That or win the tournament

HoopsDawg
04-22-2022, 10:44 AM
something did change. we absolutely have to win these next 2 games.

Captain Falcon
04-22-2022, 11:41 AM
It?s a conversation you have to evaluate on a week to week basis. For now, gotta win 2 of the next 3 against Ole Miss. I believe you can survive losing 2 in Oxford if you win the game in Pearl. Would obviously prefer to win the next two in Oxford, though.

You still have several very winnable series the next few weeks, regardless of how this weekend goes. You?re getting to the point where you may have to win a series in College Station or sweep Mizzou or Florida if you don?t win at least two against OM, though, which is a tall order.

We?ve dug out of holes before, 2012 and 2018 come to mind. But you?re running out of opportunities to kick the can down the road, gotta start winning some more of these series.

Cooterpoot
04-22-2022, 12:08 PM
something did change. we absolutely have to win these next 2 games.

Had to win two no matter what

GolfDawg
04-22-2022, 12:34 PM
The thing that really gets me is that we have so many position players that have played for a national championship winning team. They've played at the highest college level and won it all. Even if they aren't the most talented guys on the field in a given game, I would think that experience would lead to us finding ways to win ballgames more than we do. It seems like the opposite is happening. As others have said, I keep expecting us to start clicking on all cylinders and start playing better baseball. But we haven't. At least not for a long enough stretch of the schedule.

Can we win today and tomorrow and then go take care of business in Mizzou? Sure. I think we have enough pieces this year (even with the injuries) to have had a decent season and make a regional for goodness sake. However, we still haven't haven't put it all together and been able to actually DO what it takes.

It's really hard to know exactly why that is from the outside looking in. IMO you have to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt considering the last few years' results, but ultimately the buck stops with the coaching staff and this team has underachieved thus far. Games like last night happen- sometimes you can chalk them up to a pitcher having a career night, hard hit balls that can't find any grass, or just little things not going your way. The problem is we've seen enough games like that this year to where it's no longer a "that's baseball" situation and it's becoming a trend of "this is who we are."

That being said, let's go disappoint some Rebel fans and take the series, get hot, and ruin a regional host's weekend in June.

Cooterpoot
04-22-2022, 01:33 PM
Everybody is complaining about the hitting or whatever but the difference in that game last night was one damn error.

Captain Falcon
04-22-2022, 03:11 PM
Everybody is complaining about the hitting or whatever but the difference in that game last night was one damn error.

That is what it is, we have actually been pretty good defensively this year, currently second in the league in fielding percentage. Errors are gonna happen occasionally.

It is hard to expect to win games you score 3 runs or fewer, which we have done in 8 of our 10 SEC losses and 50% our conference games overall. We only did that in about 25% of our league games in ?19 and ?21.

OLJWales
04-22-2022, 07:43 PM
STATE's Baseball Collapse has paralleled itself with our Country's Demise of Late. Both have similarities in 17 up Effort.

Cooterpoot
04-23-2022, 07:02 AM
Today is the day we can change something. Win, it's a solid series win. Lose, probably toast in the post season hunt. Time to win another series in Oxford.

msstate7
04-23-2022, 07:05 AM
Jumped to 75 in rpi. We are no longer last in sec, Kentucky at 77

MetEdDawg
04-23-2022, 10:11 AM
We have a lot of work to do, but we still have a lot of opportunities to impress.

@TAMU, Florida, and Tennessee are opponents that can get us where we want to be if we take advantage. Go 5-4 against those 3 and we are in good shape.

If we want to get to 15 SEC wins, we likely have to win today and we've got to take 2 on the road @Missouri and go 5-4 against that group of 3 I mentioned.

Quaoarsking
04-23-2022, 10:30 AM
We have a lot of work to do, but we still have a lot of opportunities to impress.

@TAMU, Florida, and Tennessee are opponents that can get us where we want to be if we take advantage. Go 5-4 against those 3 and we are in good shape.

If we want to get to 15 SEC wins, we likely have to win today and we've got to take 2 on the road @Missouri and go 5-4 against that group of 3 I mentioned.

Do that and some host is going to be pissed to have us as their 3 seed.

Captain Falcon
04-23-2022, 10:43 AM

Winning two at Mizzou would give us an RPI boost too, their RPI is in the 30ish range in spite of only being 5-12 in SEC play.

msstate7
04-23-2022, 01:24 PM
I'm not convinced we can pull it off, but win the next 2, and we are squarely on the bubble

Lord McBuckethead
04-23-2022, 08:37 PM

You mean 1 error and shitty hitting. Right?

Coach34
04-23-2022, 08:49 PM
I'm not convinced we can pull it off, but win the next 2, and we are squarely on the bubble

14 SEC wins and we are in regardless of RPI. Defending National Champion has its privileges.

Quaoarsking
04-23-2022, 08:50 PM
14 SEC wins and we are in regardless of RPI. Defending National Champion has its privileges.

Probably so. See Oregon State 2007. (And that story ended pretty well for them.)

Commercecomet24
04-23-2022, 08:54 PM

This. 14 is the magic number.

KOdawg1
04-23-2022, 09:03 PM
6 more conference wins is doable.

Win 2 or 3 @ Mizzou, win 1-2 vs. Florida, win 1 or 2 @ A&M, win 1 vs. Tennessee.

Still got some work to do, but our path is much easier now than it would've been had we lost. A loss today would've basically ended our season. We're still living boys. Idk how, but we are.

msstate7
04-23-2022, 09:09 PM
We stayed at #75 in RPI

KOdawg1
04-23-2022, 09:15 PM
We stayed at #75 in RPI

We play Mizzou- 38, UF- 13, TAMU- 26, and Tenn- 1.

As long as we get to 14 wins, the RPI will take care of itself.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2022, 09:18 PM

This, 14 wins in the SEC and defending national champs will get us in, regardless of rpi. Get 15 wins though and takes away any doubt

msstate7
04-23-2022, 09:23 PM

We also play north Alabama, who is in the 270s, so we have a big time drop to figure in

Commercecomet24
04-23-2022, 09:25 PM
We also play north Alabama, who is in the 270s, so we have a big time drop to figure in

It won't matter if we get to 14 wins.

KOdawg1
04-23-2022, 09:25 PM

Wouldn't hurt for that game to get "rained out."

But as long as we don't lose, we'll be okay

Quaoarsking
04-23-2022, 09:33 PM
We stayed at #75 in RPI

It just hasn't updated yet.

State82
04-23-2022, 09:34 PM
We stayed at #75 in RPI

That just does not add up. Bizarre.

State82
04-23-2022, 09:34 PM

Now that makes more sense.

msstate7
04-23-2022, 09:35 PM

Warren Nolan did. Has our correct record. OM dropped, we stayed the same, and Kentucky moved up 1

Quaoarsking
04-23-2022, 09:53 PM
Warren Nolan did. Has our correct record. OM dropped, we started the same, and Kentucky moved up 1

I don't know what their exact process is, but I've noticed that the records and RPIs update at different times. I am very confident it will be a better number by tomorrow morning.

My guess is that it updates the RPIs some number of hours after game time, so us, Ole Miss, and Kentucky tweaking is due to teams who finished earlier in the day jumping ahead or behind us.

Coach34
04-23-2022, 09:54 PM
14 SEC wins. The rest does not matter

msstate7
04-24-2022, 07:03 AM
We dropped a spot late last night to #76. Kentucky passed us... last in sec again.

msstate7
04-24-2022, 07:11 AM
RPI considers us AIDS for some reason. This weekend, we moved up 4 spots total, but OM dropped 13. We didn't get near the bump that they got the kick. Guess our earlier opponents had tough weekends

R2Dawg
04-24-2022, 07:18 AM
RPI is a joke if you ask me. We are not the worst SEC team by far. The schedule is what it is we can't change that. We have some bad losses but also so many losses when you peel it back, we should not have lost. We are a different team now than started the year. LBSU and some others wouldn't want to play us now. They got us early - congrats.