PDA

View Full Version : Interesting perspective from another SEC baseball program

Todd4State
04-20-2022, 11:06 PM
I have a friend that is very well connected with LSU baseball. She has a cousin that she is close to on the team and with us both being baseball fans and college baseball fans we talk baseball sometimes.

Here's what she told me today- it's LSU and MSU related.

1. A lot of the LSU players don't like Jay Johnson and plan on entering the portal at the end of the year. Could be relevant to us since I expect us to hit the portal harder than ever this year. Sorry, I don't have any names. Sounds like a lot of new coach complaints.

2. A lot of athletes don't like NIL. I asked why and I was basically told it was because some players were getting more than others and basically some could get more money by threatening to transfer and stuff like that.

3. Speaking of NIL the LSU players have heard that each MSU player is getting 30K in NIL money. This is the first I've heard of this and my friend asked me if that was true. I told her that sounded a little high and that I know that they were selling autographed team baseballs for 500 dollars, and some of them have special cowbells that they sell, and I've seen a couple of players in ads. Apparently word on the street is we are doing a lot of things to get players funds. I told my friend that I know that MSU can waive out of state tuition for players from Alabama (and I think Memphis?) and that we use academic funds a lot in addition to the athletic scholarships that we have to give. The waiving out of state tuition is true because that's what Alabama's coach Brad Bohannon was complaining about in the offseason.

4. I thought it was pretty funny to hear that from LSU people after Skip Bertman used TOPS for years. I guess Cohen just got tired of the Vanderbilt's of the world giving out free tuition and said "hold my beer". If so good for MSU!

Cooterpoot
04-21-2022, 01:46 AM
I don't think that $30K is per year per player. But they've got a pretty good deal. But it could've changed I guess.

BrunswickDawg
04-21-2022, 07:19 AM
I don't think that $30K is per year per player. But they've got a pretty good deal. But it could've changed I guess.

That could be their entire package - scholly, the grants they announced a couple of weeks back, and NIL - $30k is basically full cost of attendance for a year so it would makes sense that that number is circulating.

Homedawg
04-21-2022, 08:08 AM
We don't waive out of state tuition for any state just for nothing. It can be waived/ lowered by act/sat score. Which is a big deal, but it's not across the board for everyone unless you have the act to go with it. And the NiL number is wrong. At least at present it is.

gtowndawg
04-21-2022, 08:57 AM
We don't waive out of state tuition for any state just for nothing. It can be waived/ lowered by act/sat score. Which is a big deal, but it's not across the board for everyone unless you have the act to go with it. And the NiL number is wrong. At least at present it is.

This is correct. I have a sophomore that wants to attend State. Being in the Memphis area I've heard that rumor for years, so I called. I was told by admissions that is not true (and they literally said tell others that is not true). NOW, they said they do work hard to get the out of state waived but there has to be a combination of a certain ACT score, GPA, etc. Bottom line, if you are a solid student, it probably will be waived but it's not a forgone conclusion.

Cowbell
04-21-2022, 09:44 PM

Brackey I'm glad you always here to clear things up lol 😆

Homedawg
04-21-2022, 10:52 PM
Brackey I'm glad you always here to clear things up lol ��

Well played.... you're welcome

Todd4State
04-21-2022, 11:03 PM
That could be their entire package - scholly, the grants they announced a couple of weeks back, and NIL - $30k is basically full cost of attendance for a year so it would makes sense that that number is circulating.

That makes more sense to me. The way it was told to me was "I heard their (MSU) players get 30K". It didn't occur to me that would be the amount for three years.

This is correct. I have a sophomore that wants to attend State. Being in the Memphis area I've heard that rumor for years, so I called. I was told by admissions that is not true (and they literally said tell others that is not true). NOW, they said they do work hard to get the out of state waived but there has to be a combination of a certain ACT score, GPA, etc. Bottom line, if you are a solid student, it probably will be waived but it's not a forgone conclusion.

This is good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

Cowbell
04-21-2022, 11:39 PM
Well played.... you're welcome

Always appreciated on this end!