PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian

Cowbell
04-18-2022, 11:59 AM
Struck out 10 through 5 innings with nasty breaking pitches....somebody please embed tweet for me

https://twitter.com/HoothTrevor/status/1515494314947796999

ZedFedder
04-18-2022, 12:14 PM
Never quite could put it together at State, but his talent and ceiling are incredibly high.

ZedFedder
04-18-2022, 12:15 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/HoothTrevor/status/1515494314947796999

Saltydog
04-18-2022, 12:15 PM
Struck out 10 through 5 innings with nasty breaking pitches....somebody please embed tweet for me

https://mobile.twitter.com/HoothTrevor/status/1515494314947796999

It's interesting that we've had some guys with command issues who we rarely used because they just never completely figured it out. Cerantola being one and Brandon Woodruff the other. They leave, go to the minors and one is now an all star and the other looking much better than he ever did at MSU. Is pro coaching really that much better? Maybe they can help Stinnett, Fristoe and Walling.

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2022, 12:16 PM
The talent was always there. Remember, his first start against Wright State in2020, he struck out 8 in 4 innings and only 2 hits, and 3 BB.
Next start out he walked 5 and had 3 WP.
He's the type that probably should have gone pro out of high school, he needs the daily practice regime you get in the pros. I won't be shocked to see him in MLB one day.

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2022, 12:18 PM
It's interesting that we've had some guys with command issues who we rarely used because they just never completely figured it out. Cerantola being one and Brandon Woodruff the other. They leave, go to the minors and one is now an all star and the other looking much better than he ever did at MSU. Is pro coaching really that much better? Maybe they can help Stinnett, Fristoe and Walling.

It's not as much about the coaching as it is that baseball is your life. MSU coaches don't get the time with the players that pros do.

FISHDAWG
04-18-2022, 12:25 PM
delete

99jc
04-18-2022, 12:30 PM
Eric has great stuff and needs to pitch strictly out of the stretch. When he goes full windup, he tends to change his arm slot and overthrows across his body.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2022, 12:39 PM

We just couldn't afford to lose games while he's trying to figure it out. In the minors, they don't care as much about winning.

Hot Rock
04-18-2022, 01:16 PM
We just couldn't afford to lose games while he's trying to figure it out. In the minors, they don't care as much about winning.

^^^This^^^

We are trying to win games now. In the minor leagues if a guy has the stuff, it's their job to give him the work to see if he can work it out no matter if he wins or not. Players are afforded the time to work it out, even years in some cases.

All their games are practice games and none of them really matter. No one remembers who wins the Single A or Double A title last year. Sure, you may see a franchise advertise it to get more fan support but their job has it's priorities and winning is way down the list.

Saltydog
04-18-2022, 01:22 PM

That's a great point Hoops. Never thought of it that way but make perfect sense.

Homedawg
04-18-2022, 01:35 PM

This all day. Monies don't care about winning at minors

Cooterpoot
04-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Never quite could put it together at State, but his talent and ceiling are incredibly high.

Not just him, it's a trend here.

Johnson85
04-18-2022, 01:49 PM
That's a great point Hoops. Never thought of it that way but make perfect sense.

Somebody here a while back I think related a story from maybe Chipper Jones's book about one of his minor league coaches suggesting he stop switch hitting because his average was better from one side of the plate, and the coach got dressed down because the team wanted him developing from both sides of the plate and his job was to develop players, not win minor league ball games. Thought that was an interesting story (although i've probably butchered the details and I may not even have the right player).

Hot Rock
04-18-2022, 02:12 PM
Not just him, it's a trend here.

Say you don't know baseball without saying you don't know baseball.

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2022, 03:37 PM
^^^This^^^

We are trying to win games now. In the minor leagues if a guy has the stuff, it's their job to give him the work to see if he can work it out no matter if he wins or not. Players are afforded the time to work it out, even years in some cases.

All their games are practice games and none of them really matter. No one remembers who wins the Single A or Double A title last year. Sure, you may see a franchise advertise it to get more fan support but their job has it's priorities and winning is way down the list.

There is an interesting story in Chipper Jones' book about problems (as a Minor leaguer) with right-handed batting.

Chipper was struggling and felt he could "do better" as left hand only. He asked permission from the Minor league manager to only hit Left, got the ok. When Bobby Cox found out, he fired the Minor League manager immediately.

The minors are about developing players, not stats or even winning games.

Todd4State
04-18-2022, 04:55 PM

Woodruff had a broken arm. Completely different.

AlSwearengen
04-18-2022, 05:03 PM
Woodruff had a broken arm. Completely different.

Todd, I’ve read that he was injured a lot while at State. Can you give more details?

Todd4State
04-18-2022, 05:08 PM
Todd, I’ve read that he was injured a lot while at State. Can you give more details?

He had a hairline fracture in his forearm. If we hadn't found it his MLB career never would have happened.

Cooterpoot
04-18-2022, 06:10 PM
Say you don't know baseball without saying you don't know baseball.

We're second in the SEC in walks given up and we've got too many big arms amounting to nothing. I simply called it like it is. Call it recruiting or developing, but it's got to improve. Especially when you've got the highest paid pitching coach in college baseball.

Saltydog
04-18-2022, 06:35 PM
I don't think he had a fracture the whole time he was here. Plus, some of Woody's problems weren't all physical. I know for a fact that during his last year he pushed one of the coaches. That essentially ended his career.

Todd4State
04-18-2022, 08:31 PM
I don't think he had a fracture the whole time he was here. Plus, some of Woody's problems weren't all physical. I know for a fact that during his last year he pushed one of the coaches. That essentially ended his career.

He didn't have a fracture the whole time. He won the SEC Tournament Championship Game as a freshman and outdueled Tyler Beede a future first round pick for Vanderbilt.

Irondawg
04-19-2022, 09:53 AM
Maybe it?s not on Foxhall but I find this pretty damning. Last year we had a big thread on one of the boards about his motion not being smooth and balanced.

Watch the embedded Twitter highlight and then watch this and tell me what differences you see.

https://youtu.be/N7aS3-Ry9Vk

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2022, 10:30 AM
The key for Cerantola like always is consistency. He had a good outing last time but his 1st outing he only went 3.1 allowing 5 runs 4 earned & only struck out 3. He gave up 5 extra base hits that game.

Maroonthirteen
04-19-2022, 05:13 PM
He has pitched 8 innings of A ball with a 6.48 era. He still has a ways to go to prove anything.