PDA

View Full Version : Super Bulldog Easter Baseball

Todd4State
04-17-2022, 02:18 AM
First of all Christ is Risen and we should all be thankful for that first and foremost.

This team if it is at all possible frustrates me and at the same time encourages me somehow.

First of all- because I've seen fans talk about it on social media- Cheesebrough made the right decision to send Corder. Auburn had to make a perfect play to get that out and they did to their credit. We did have a baserunning error earlier in the game and Hines made a baserunning mistake in game or two and we have to clean that up a little bit. Those kinds of mistakes loom large in a one run game. Hasn't been an issue most of the year though.

The most frustrating thing to me is how Foxhall handled the staff. We did get three quality starts from Brandon, Preston, and Cade. Which is great because we have no margin for error. I did not like how Foxhall handled Friday night at all. There was no reason to send Preston back out for the eighth inning. And then to use Talley for what was then his third game in a row in a week? Really? I mean I know we have bullpen issues but being up 9-1 is the perfect time to get guys like Fristoe and Tepper work. So of course Foxhall's plan blows up in his face and we had to use KC to win the game. Which made him unavailable for today's game. And lo and behold we have a situation where we really needed KC and had to put Fristoe in another high leverage situation. And it blew up in his face again. It really feels like he just throws people out there and expects them to just figure it out or something. I don't know if it's overthinking or what- but we had a sweep teed up almost and he decided to do some really weird things.

And yeah I know it wasn't all Fristoe's fault today. Defense let him down a little. He does tend to leave pitches up some- Foxhall has to fix that.

We'll see what Auger and Stinnett's status is for the rest of the year. I'm hearing Stinnett is done for the year too- no idea when that happened or even what the issue is.

Our offense wasn't great Saturday. But for the weekend I saw improvement in our approach overall. Much, much better. I'm seeing guys be more patient and starting to use the entire field more. Kellum Clark hitting a home run to left center was great. Guys not expanding the zone as much although we still do that sometimes- but progress. And as I said we got a hit to give us a chance to tie the game and Auburn made a perfect play to beat us. I can't really ask for much more than that. Slowly we're going away from being a dead pull hitting team to a more complete hitting team. Just have to keep working.

We've got Jackson State next. I'm hoping to see us get some pitchers back on track and our offense continuing to make some adjustments. We've got a lot of work to do we'll see if the pitching injuries kill us or not but this team will keep fighting. Just have to keep it up.

Activated Alpha
04-17-2022, 07:40 AM
Sending him was the right call. Just not sure who would be faster, Skinner or Corder?

HoopsDawg
04-17-2022, 11:02 AM
We are in deep trouble with this pitching staff and the injuries. This was a team capable of making it to Omaha with Sims and Simmons. Now, it's going to be very tought to even make a regional.

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2022, 11:38 AM
Stinnett and Auger done. That's terrible news.

FWIW: Cumbest, Forsythe, Tanner, and Corder have been pitchers in HS and/or JC

Tanner has a 100 mph fastball but no control

Cumbest matched some Pilkington records at East Central HS

Corder used to get shelled at Hinds then became a full time star hitter

We all saw Forsythe

GolfDawg
04-17-2022, 02:11 PM
This is the first I've heard of Stinnett being injured. Wow. If we lose him and Auger on top of Sims and Simmons that's about as bad as it gets (knock on wood). Starts to make you wonder how that many injuries happen at the same time. We never really extended guys' pitch counts (except for that running PJ back out there for no reason on Friday).

If those guys are hurt, we better see Forsythe throw another inning on Tuesday. I'd love to see Cumbest pitch. That would have some serious entertainment value if nothing else!

I'm surprised we haven't seen Cole Cheatham get more innings. I was thinking he had a good outing against Arkansas but just looked up the stats- he threw 1.2 innings and while he gave up no hits or runs, he walked 4 batters. I guess the good news is he didn't fold and got out of those spots.

If all of these injuries are for real, this is what's left of our pen: KC, Fristoe, Talley, Tepper, Tullar, Pico, Cheatham, Walker, and I guess Forsythe.

EdwardDrayton
04-17-2022, 03:14 PM
He gave His all so we can have it all! Christ is Risen indeed!! Happy Easter Y’All!!!

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2022, 03:18 PM
He gave His all so we can have it all! Christ is Risen indeed!! Happy Easter Y’All!!!

That's right ED

Percho
04-17-2022, 06:40 PM
When Fristoe was pitching here is what I thought was big. The ball hit between third and short that wound up going into short left field. I think Alford was at third and hesitated going to the ball to keep from running into the runner going to third. He should have run into him because I believe it would have been interference called on the base runner.

Coach34
04-17-2022, 07:47 PM
PFS getting shut down would be a huge positive for this team.

Foreskin should have been moved to the pen 3 weeks ago

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2022, 09:09 PM
This team is 6-9 in the SEC at the half way point.

If we did not lose Sims, Simmons, Hunt (for some time) - I think the team would be 9-6 or 10-5. Easy. MSU would still be a player for the SEC title, hosting, and marginal national seed candidate.

This pitching tragedy that is compounding, might very well cost MSU a post season.

It's cool these boys keep playing to the last at-bat. This is a good sign for program identity and culture.

Cowbell
04-17-2022, 09:49 PM

If we did not lose Sims, Simmons, Hunt (for some time) - I think the team would be 9-6 or 10-5. Easy. MSU would still be a player for the SEC title, hosting, and marginal national seed candidate.

This pitching tragedy that is compounding, might very well cost MSU a post season.

It's cool these boys keep playing to the last at-bat. This is a good sign for program identity and culture.

Yep. Anybody cussing this team at this point needs to get a life. It is what it is and any win is a bonus at this point.

Todd4State
04-18-2022, 12:29 AM
Stinnett and Auger done. That's terrible news.

FWIW: Cumbest, Forsythe, Tanner, and Corder have been pitchers in HS and/or JC

Tanner has a 100 mph fastball but no control

Cumbest matched some Pilkington records at East Central HS

Corder used to get shelled at Hinds then became a full time star hitter

We all saw Forsythe

This is the first I've heard of Stinnett being injured. Wow. If we lose him and Auger on top of Sims and Simmons that's about as bad as it gets (knock on wood). Starts to make you wonder how that many injuries happen at the same time. We never really extended guys' pitch counts (except for that running PJ back out there for no reason on Friday).

If those guys are hurt, we better see Forsythe throw another inning on Tuesday. I'd love to see Cumbest pitch. That would have some serious entertainment value if nothing else!

I'm surprised we haven't seen Cole Cheatham get more innings. I was thinking he had a good outing against Arkansas but just looked up the stats- he threw 1.2 innings and while he gave up no hits or runs, he walked 4 batters. I guess the good news is he didn't fold and got out of those spots.

If all of these injuries are for real, this is what's left of our pen: KC, Fristoe, Talley, Tepper, Tullar, Pico, Cheatham, Walker, and I guess Forsythe.

Foxhall is going to have to manage the staff much better than he has. The good news is we have three starters that can give us 5-6 IP. After that we have KC emerging as a closer. In between we have Pico who has done pretty well. And then we have Fristoe and Tepper that need to get right. Talley has pitched better too.

Absolutely. I was pleased with how we played this weekend as opposed to last weekend. Much better than a week ago. Looked much more like MSU baseball to me and less like Ron Polk II.