PDA

View Full Version : Question? Is a hit and run a thing of the past?

tcdog70
04-16-2022, 08:29 PM
sac bunts?I?m not a fan of. Seems like a hit and run might be tried sometimes. Especially if you have speed on first.

Commercecomet24
04-16-2022, 08:41 PM
sac bunts?I?m not a fan of. Seems like a hit and run might be tried sometimes. Especially if you have speed on first.

I like hit and run too but that kid larue from auburn has an arm like Lotan. I've coached a gazillion games against that kid over the years from 8 years old til 18. Him and my son both catchers and have had some epic games against each other.

MaroonFlounder
04-16-2022, 09:15 PM
The Braves executed a perfect hit & run last night. The ball was hit right where the 2nd baseman vacated to cover 2nd. I wish we saw it more in college.

Coach34
04-16-2022, 09:24 PM
Pretty much. Along with bunting. Baseball strategy is becoming cardboard cutter

Cooterpoot
04-16-2022, 09:27 PM
It's all about bombs and K's now days, but Commerce is correct.

Commercecomet24
04-16-2022, 09:37 PM
Pretty much. Along with bunting. Baseball strategy is becoming cardboard cutter

This and it kinda sucks.

Commercecomet24
04-16-2022, 09:41 PM
I'm a big proponent of the running game. I used to run teams into the ground. There's an art to teaching stealing and hit and runs. There's teaching correct leads, secondary leads, walking leads, reading pitchers, how to hit in the hole on hits and runs, etc.If you teach it(and it does require practice time)you can drive teams crazy and open up holes all over for your hitters. As cooter said it's to much about bombs and K's now and teaching the running game takes time that most coaches don't want to devote.

And the running game is fun! Players love it!

somebodyshotmypaw
04-16-2022, 09:46 PM
And guys don’t know how to hit opposite field against the shift.

State82
04-16-2022, 09:48 PM
I'm a big proponent of the running game. I used to run teams into the ground. There's an art to teaching stealing and hit and runs. There's teaching correct leads, secondary leads, walking leads, reading pitchers, how to hit in the hole on hits and runs, etc.If you teach it(and it does require practice time)you can drive teams crazy and open up holes all over for your hitters. As cooter said it's to much about bombs and K's now and teaching the running game takes time that most coaches don't want to devote.

Absolutely

CadaverDawg
04-16-2022, 10:45 PM
I remember playing high school ball, and when we were facing a pitcher that was in a groove and mowing us down, the coach would have us start laying down bunts, and forcing the pitcher to get winded fielding his position, and at least frustrate him a little. It was crazy how often that worked by either getting a bunt single, or having the pitcher chunk one into right field, or just having him get frustrated at multiple bunt attempts or all of us at least showing bunt and making him spring off the mound differently after each pitch. Anything to change his routine and throw a wrench into his flow. But Now days, if a pitcher is grooving these coaches just figure eventually their team will hit it....and often times they're wrong and they never try anything different. It's crazy.

I always think it's so ironic how a coach will meddle with something like an (often poor) substitution or something like that just to try to put his stamp on a game, but yet sometimes the most obvious of moves and adjustments they just sit on their bucket and don't make them. Times have definitely changed in the game of baseball. I'm sure at some point it will come full circle though.

Todd4State
04-16-2022, 11:57 PM
We don't hit and run because our guys strike out too much and swing anything in the zip code. We also have very little team speed.

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2022, 07:34 AM

^^^^^ This. I miss running baseball. I batted lead off and was the only guy on my HS team for four years who had the green light to run whenever I got on. Made a lot of my team mates mad at our coach. Others would ask why I got to run when I wanted and they couldn't and he would say "he's the only one on this team who really knows how to run bases." My grand dad taught me all of what you said - plus how to round bases and multiple ways to slide depending on how the defender set up - mainly the pop up slide and the old school hook slide which you never see anymore and how to dive back into first on a pick off (outfield side of first).
He might have also taught me to file one of my front spikes and I may or may not have used it a couple of times (the man was real old school).

Give me the '85 Cardinals and I could run you to death today.

tcdog70
04-17-2022, 11:22 AM
We don't hit and run because our guys strike out too much and swing anything in the zip code. We also have very little team speed.

We pinch run SKINNER (he has speed). While on 1st he never draws a throw to 1st. He doesn’t steal and gets an out at 2nd .no pressure from Him. In the Ninth we pinch run with Corder not Davis, why? If you looked Corder had a shitty lead and a worse jump-no wonder he got thrown out.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2022, 01:04 PM
^^^^^ This. I miss running baseball. I batted lead off and was the only guy on my HS team for four years who had the green light to run whenever I got on. Made a lot of my team mates mad at our coach. Others would ask why I got to run when I wanted and they couldn't and he would say "he's the only one on this team who really knows how to run bases." My grand dad taught me all of what you said - plus how to round bases and multiple ways to slide depending on how the defender set up - mainly the pop up slide and the old school hook slide which you never see anymore and how to dive back into first on a pick off (outfield side of first).
He might have also taught me to file one of my front spikes and I may or may not have used it a couple of times (the man was real old school).

I loved those 80s cardinals teams with the White Rat running the show. That style will always work. Speed never slumps.

As you said about your grand father he taught you the right way. There's so much more to the game than hrs and strikeouts and a lot is being lost. All those things your grandfather taught you I learned as well and I passed it on to my teams and my sons. When my boys become head coaches there's gonna be a lot of teams getting run crazy by them. Here's something else Whitey used to do that I incorporated as well and it works great and that is the first and third hit and run. You never see it anymore but it's one heck of a weapon!

Commercecomet24
04-17-2022, 01:08 PM
We pinch run SKINNER (he has speed). While on 1st he never draws a throw to 1st. He doesn?t steal and gets an out at 2nd .no pressure from Him. In the Ninth we pinch run with Corder not Davis, why? If you looked Corder had a shitty lead and a worse jump-no wonder he got thrown out.

The reason skinner didnt run was he never had a chance. Clark fouled off first pitch and grounded into FC second pitch, no chance for him to run. Now I agree I would've run Davis instead of Corder but Corder has great wheels but Cumbest smoked that ball but yeah gotta get a better secondary there.

Also as I said earlier Larue has an arm
like Lotan so it's risky losing a runner stealing against him late in a game.

tcdog70
04-17-2022, 01:51 PM
The reason skinner didnt run was he never had a chance. Clark fouled off first pitch and grounded into FC second pitch, no chance for him to run. Now I agree I would've run Davis instead of Corder but Corder has great wheels but Cumbest smoked that ball but yeah gotta get a better secondary there.

Also as I said earlier Larue has an arm
like Lotan so it's risky losing a runner stealing against him late in a game.

I understand —the runner and hitter have to work together. Maybe Clark should have took a pitch?

Commercecomet24
04-17-2022, 01:59 PM
I understand ?the runner and hitter have to work together. Maybe Clark should have took a pitch?

You want to try to get into a running count, 1-0, 2-1, ahead in the count so the other team less likely to pitch out. Hard to run on 0-0 especially with a pinch runner because the other team is looking for it and can pitch out. Also you're running against one of the best throwing catchers in the country and you want to try a and protect base runners this late in the game especially with a power hitter at the plate. To much risk vs reward at that point.

OLJWales
04-17-2022, 10:32 PM

I still have vince Coleman and Terry Pendleton nightmares. ISWYDT on the Ty Cobb reference regarding filing of spikes. Did you do it pre-game to rattle your opponents?