PDA

View Full Version : Football practice on SECN+

Leroy Jenkins
04-16-2022, 11:01 AM
If you don't mind listening to Dave Neal drag Deuce McCallister through a broadcast for 2 hours.

msstate7
04-16-2022, 11:07 AM
Please tell me there's lightning in the area. We need all the rain practice we can get

Leeshouldveflanked
04-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Lightning Delay. I wish one of the MSU media fan boys would nut up and ask Cohen what the reasoning for having SBW on Easter weekend was.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 11:19 AM
Lightning Delay. I wish one of the MSU media fan boys would nut up and ask Cohen what the reasoning for having SBW on Easter weekend was.

Yep, I agree. Easter is not celebrated by very many now which is a sad testimony of our culture.

There may be other factors potentially around SEC schedules, TV, etc?

EdwardDrayton
04-16-2022, 11:46 AM
Yep, I agree. Easter is not celebrated by very many now which is a sad testimony of our culture.

There may be other factors potentially around SEC schedules, TV, etc?

Think there are many more of us who celebrate Easter than maybe you realize R2. Now are there many of the professed 230 million Christians in the U.S. who are a bit lukewarm at times the rest of the year. Yeah maybe. But they still hold dear that most important moment in human history.

msstate7
04-16-2022, 11:48 AM
Any update?

Mjoelner34
04-16-2022, 11:52 AM
Any update?

Doesn't look good. Each of the + symbols is a lightning strike.

Leroy Jenkins
04-16-2022, 11:54 AM
Any update?

I think we are looking at another hour or two. 30 minute clock restarts every time there is a strike within 8 miles.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/4f/b9/1d/4fb91d4dad59f96178d160e05e3f9ba1.jpg

KOdawg1
04-16-2022, 11:59 AM
If only we had an indoor practice facility that we could move the scrimmage to. Oh yeah I forgot, Leach doesn't want one, so we'll continue to be the only SEC school (besides maybe Vandy) without one.

Leroy Jenkins
04-16-2022, 12:09 PM
If only we had an indoor practice facility that we could move the scrimmage to. Oh yeah I forgot, Leach doesn't want one, so we'll continue to be the only SEC school (besides maybe Vandy) without one.

Maybe one day Starkville H.S. will get one we can use. Or, maybe we could put a "Sunsetter Retractable Awning" over one of the practice fields.

EdwardDrayton
04-16-2022, 12:10 PM
Is it an off and on all day weather kind of thing or are they expecting it to clear out at some point this afternoon?

was21
04-16-2022, 12:10 PM
Cohen is Jewish....doesn't believe that Jesus is the Son of God...still waiting for the king to come along.

Cowbell
04-16-2022, 12:45 PM
Cohen is Jewish....doesn't believe that Jesus is the Son of God...still waiting for the king to come along.

Is he really Jewish?

Cooterpoot
04-16-2022, 12:52 PM
Our entire administration 17'd up SBW. The weather completely killed it on off. We lack university leadership with any form of vision.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-16-2022, 01:04 PM
Moving the scrimmage to the Palmeiro. What a joke.

Leroy Jenkins
04-16-2022, 01:05 PM
Officially canceled. We suck.

Tripp McNeely
04-16-2022, 02:01 PM
Officially canceled. We suck.

We suck because their was lightning?? Y'all do realize what spring games have turned into, right?

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 02:18 PM
Think there are many more of us who celebrate Easter than maybe you realize R2. Now are there many of the professed 230 million Christians in the U.S. who are a bit lukewarm at times the rest of the year. Yeah maybe. But they still hold dear that most important moment in human history.

We agree on the most important event in history. There are a lot of folks who hide the eggs but there are few who trust in the Savior.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 02:20 PM
Well, we were not going to learn anything new anyway. Just more Leachology in action. You'll get plenty this fall come rain or shine, win or lose.

MrCoachKlein
04-16-2022, 02:27 PM
He is risen

Cooterpoot
04-16-2022, 02:30 PM
We suck because their was lightning?? Y'all do realize what spring games have turned into, right?

We suck because we planned SBW during Easter weekend where we only get one day to do anything for everyone. It kills the crowds and the fun. Many related events around it were basically eliminated. When you kill your biggest spring weekend doing that, you deserve criticism. It was foolish as hell.

Tripp McNeely
04-16-2022, 02:31 PM
We suck because we planned SBW during Easter weekend where we only get one day to do anything for everyone. It kills the crowds and the fun. Many related events around it were basically eliminated. When you kill your biggest spring weekend doing that, you deserve criticism. It was foolish as hell.

Doesn't seem to have hurt the baseball crowds

sleepy dawg
04-16-2022, 02:32 PM
What does a Saturday morning game have to do with Easter Sunday? That's not preventing a single person from celebrating Easter. In fact, Easter is why baseball series started on Thursday instead of Friday. You just need to make up something be upset about.

Cowbell
04-16-2022, 02:43 PM

I agree with this 100%.

Cowbell
04-16-2022, 02:46 PM
What does a Saturday morning game have to do with Easter Sunday? That's not preventing a single person from celebrating Easter. In fact, Easter is why baseball series started on Thursday instead of Friday. You just need to make up something be upset about.

The thing you have to realize is that good Friday is as important a day as Easter Sunday is. And even outside the religious convictions of many, many have that weekend off to go spend time with family. Regardless, They have to realize that they are scheduling an event when almost everybody who is a potential attendee might have a conflict.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-16-2022, 02:47 PM
Oxford and Ole Miss will show MSU and Stark how to do it next weekend.

was21
04-16-2022, 02:50 PM
Leach can now catch an earlier flight to KW

EdwardDrayton
04-16-2022, 02:50 PM
So we?re officially cancelled for both football and baseball??!!!!??

EdwardDrayton
04-16-2022, 02:57 PM
Is he really Jewish?

He could be a Messianic Jew.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Oxford and Ole Miss will show MSU and Stark how to do it next weekend.

Well, they played away this weekend so OM couldn't screw that up. We play away next weekend so that wasn't an option. Last weekend if it had lined up with football practice would have worked nice.

MSU has had very good SBW before. We know how to do it, just didn't this year.

Homedawg
04-16-2022, 03:09 PM
The thing you have to realize is that good Friday is as important a day as Easter Sunday is. And even outside the religious convictions of many, many have that weekend off to go spend time with family. Regardless, They have to realize that they are scheduling an event when almost everybody who is a potential attendee might have a conflict.

There were over 10k there last night. For a game delayed by an hour and half.

Homedawg
04-16-2022, 03:09 PM
So we?re officially cancelled for both football and baseball??!!!!??

No. Baseball still on hold.

Cooterpoot
04-16-2022, 03:10 PM
Doesn't seem to have hurt the baseball crowds

It absolutely has. Normally we break records on SBW. That's not happening this weekend. The football crowd was bad. Nothing going on around town. Just another weekend, minus the actual weekend part.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 03:10 PM

True however, you do realize the school got off Friday and Monday so no students there for Friday and Saturday games for the most part? Families also use up both days of the weekend as some still get off on Fridays. Some need 2 days to make the trip worth while. For locals yes Saturday can work but MSU needs the travelers.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-16-2022, 03:11 PM
MSU has had very good SBW before. We know how to do it, just didn't this year.

They have done very good SBWs under Byrne and Stricklin.

EdwardDrayton
04-16-2022, 03:47 PM
No. Baseball still on hold.

C’mon baseball. Let’s do this thang.

Homedawg
04-16-2022, 04:03 PM
It absolutely has. Normally we break records on SBW. That's not happening this weekend. The football crowd was bad. Nothing going on around town. Just another weekend, minus the actual weekend part.

We break crowds yes. Due to sat crowd, But it's rained all day.... and what else is going on any other weekend around town?? Hell I live here, I'd love to know?!? And last night was 12k plus. At night on a Friday. Maybe Easter isn't the best time. But the evidence you're using is faulty. At best.

Homedawg
04-16-2022, 04:03 PM
C’mon baseball. Let’s do this thang.

We're going to play...

msstate7
04-16-2022, 04:12 PM
We're going to play...

A win today would be massive

sleepy dawg
04-16-2022, 05:34 PM
Like I said. You need to make up something to be upset about.

Cooterpoot
04-16-2022, 06:33 PM
We break crowds yes. Due to sat crowd, But it's rained all day.... and what else is going on any other weekend around town?? Hell I live here, I'd love to know?!? And last night was 12k plus. At night on a Friday. Maybe Easter isn't the best time. But the evidence you're using is faulty. At best.

Thursday night was not a huge crowd by SBW standards. More people would be in town tonight for the game had it been a full weekend, rain or not. That's not hard to understand or faulty. Imagine last weekend as SBW.

Cooterpoot
04-16-2022, 06:35 PM

Thursday night was not a huge crowd by SBW standards. More people would be in town tonight for the game had it been a full weekend, rain or not. That's not hard to understand or faulty. Imagine last weekend as SBW. Hell, students aren't even on campus this weekend.

LC Dawg
04-16-2022, 06:44 PM
We don't need SBW to draw baseball crowds. In past years there would be thousands in town that didn't plan to see baseball. My daughter and I decided to grab dinner last night and Humble Taco was closed at 8:45 so we went to Bulldog Burger and there was no wait. I don't venture into the Cotton District on regular weekend nights and last night it was almost deserted. The only students in town were at the ballgame. It's a failure to call this weekend SBW. It's actually less than a normal baseball weekend because all the students are at home.

starkvegasdawg
04-16-2022, 11:14 PM
He is risen

He is risen indeed.

AROB44
04-17-2022, 09:38 AM

So.....Is there a religious test to being the AD at MSU?

Leeshouldveflanked
04-17-2022, 10:16 AM
So.....Is there a religious test to being the AD at MSU?
There should be a competency and qualification test to being a MSU AD.

AROB44
04-17-2022, 10:30 AM
There should be a competency and qualification test to being a MSU AD.

Can't disagree with that....

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2022, 06:37 AM
First - weren't the only school doing their spring game Saturday. Bama, Arky, UF, UGA, USC, Vandy, and us. Bama and UF are the only 2 of those who didn't have home baseball doubt their fans even noticed). Second, Leach is a coach with a schedule and his own way of doing things, so he probably starts spring practice at roughly the same point every year - especially since we still have another week of practices and an open scrimmage next Saturday. I've got feeling our spring game date was dictated by ESPN/SECN. And the choice was TV or SBW without a home baseball series and we chose to preserve some semblance of SBW

Hot Rock
04-18-2022, 07:05 AM
So, bad weather weekend. Stuff gets canceled and people mad at John Cohen. This is the dumbest fan base in the world.

DawgFromOxford
04-18-2022, 08:52 AM
I've got feeling our spring game date was dictated by ESPN/SECN.

Bingo. Easter weekend wasn't the optimal weekend for fans, but it was the optimal weekend for TV money.

Considering it's a glorified practice that's free to attend and maybe 10k people show up. You take the TV money and make the rest of the scheduling of SBW work the best it can.

Jarius
04-18-2022, 04:16 PM
Thursday night was not a huge crowd by SBW standards. More people would be in town tonight for the game had it been a full weekend, rain or not. That's not hard to understand or faulty. Imagine last weekend as SBW.

The reason it was done on Easter is because otherwise, Easter would be a very small crowd comparatively for the entire weekend. Every other baseball weekend was going to be packed anyway, so they tried to do SBW on Easter so they could eliminate the one weekend that wasn’t going to be packed. It was a decision to help out the city of Starkville add another big revenue weekend during the spring. Not saying I agree with the decision but that was the reason it was done. Same reason they did the big fall concert weekend during a road football weekend.

sleepy dawg
04-18-2022, 07:16 PM
They can't not be mad about something.

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2022, 07:19 PM
The reason it was done on Easter is because otherwise, Easter would be a very small crowd comparatively for the entire weekend. Every other baseball weekend was going to be packed anyway, so they tried to do SBW on Easter so they could eliminate the one weekend that wasn’t going to be packed. It was a decision to help out the city of Starkville add another big revenue weekend during the spring. Not saying I agree with the decision but that was the reason it was done. Same reason they did the big fall concert weekend during a road football weekend.

I had friends from here who rolled into Starkville the Friday of the LSU series for a funeral. They texted me wanting to know what was going on because the whole town was packed, long waits at restaurants, and they had a hard time finding hotel rooms at the last minute. They couldn't believe it when I said it's a normal baseball weekend. It stands to reason that after COVID for 2 years they would try to spread weekends out and get a little more cash in the coffers.