PDA

View Full Version : Saturday is a big game...

CadaverDawg
04-16-2022, 12:16 AM
I know they're all big after the hole we've dug, but a sweep would really help soften the blow of the LSU sweep at home. Plus, it puts us in a decent spot at 7-8 and potentially tied for 3rd in the West depending on how things shake out this weekend across the league.

We have a tough row to hoe, and I'd feel a lot better if we had Ole Miss and Mizzou in Starkville, but at least we have some teams left on the schedule that are currently even with us or below us in the SEC standings. Tennessee could easily sweep us at home, so stealing a series on the road versus OM, A&M, or Mizzou is crucial...and we can't really afford to be swept again.

I stand by the mindset of "Find a way to make a Regional", and then it's a new season and who knows what could happen. Can we do that? We'll see...but a win Saturday would really be a big one towards making that a possibility.

Schultzy
04-16-2022, 07:09 AM
I know they're all big after the hole we've dug, but a sweep would really help soften the blow of the LSU sweep at home. Plus, it puts us in a decent spot at 7-8 and potentially tied for 3rd in the West depending on how things shake out this weekend across the league.

We have a tough row to hoe, and I'd feel a lot better if we had Ole Miss and Mizzou in Starkville, but at least we have some teams left on the schedule that are currently even with us or below us in the SEC standings. Tennessee could easily sweep us at home, so stealing a series on the road versus OM, A&M, or Mizzou is crucial...and we can't really afford to be swept again.

I stand by the mindset of "Find a way to make a Regional", and then it's a new season and who knows what could happen. Can we do that? We'll see...but a win Saturday would really be a big one towards making that a possibility.

7-8 looks a whole lot better than 6-9.

Your mindset of just make a regional is the right approach and the one I took weeks ago. Gonna need Hines and James to heat up at the plate to do it, though.

And for Mule to keep proving me wrong.

And hope Yeager’s hand isn’t broken.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 07:48 AM
Saturday is a big opportunity at home with a ranked team that I think we are deep in their bullpen which isn't very good either. I think our hitters can hit weak pitching or stand in for the walk.

The issue may be our shallow pen, maybe we can piece it together. Need Cade to go 6 good ones at least and build a 5 run cushion to win.

Schultzy
04-16-2022, 08:23 AM
Saturday is a big opportunity at home with a ranked team that I think we are deep in their bullpen which isn't very good either. I think our hitters can hit weak pitching or stand in for the walk.

The issue may be our shallow pen, maybe we can piece it together. Need Cade to go 6 good ones at least and build a 5 run cushion to win.

We need someone in the pen to come up with that long relief outing and gain confidence from it.

MaroonFlounder
04-16-2022, 08:42 AM
Not enough pitching to make a run in postseason anyway.

We've snapped more elbows than any team in the SEC, if not the country

Schultzy
04-16-2022, 08:48 AM
Not enough pitching to make a run in postseason anyway.

We've snapped more elbows than any team in the SEC, if not the country

But getting post season experience is good for returners, and winning a game or regional on the road is not out of the realm of possibility if we can just get there.

I didn’t think last years lineup was good enough to win a Super much less the CWS but look what happened.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-16-2022, 09:00 AM
I’m worried pitching could be an issue in Game 3. We could see lots of weather starts/stops. I envision Cade throwing 2 good innings then we have a 90 minute rain delay.

Schultzy
04-16-2022, 09:05 AM
I’m worried pitching could be an issue in Game 3. We could see lots of weather starts/stops. I envision Cade throwing 2 good innings then we have a 90 minute rain delay.

Them too, but that’s why good teams have to just win some games with the bats.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-16-2022, 09:16 AM
Them too, but that’s why good teams have to just win some games with the bats.

Agreed. Multiple rain delays can turn a game into a situation where each team throws 7 guys.

RougeDawg
04-16-2022, 09:30 AM
Getting a sweep would be nice. But it would be more that a win or sweep.

It would change the mentality and makeup of the roster. Sweeps after being swept and your backs against the wall can change a season. If someone could tell Logan Tanner to stop stepping out of the bucket, this series could be a season changer.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 10:18 AM
Getting a sweep would be nice. But it would be more that a win or sweep.

It would change the mentality and makeup of the roster. Sweeps after being swept and your backs against the wall can change a season. If someone could tell Logan Tanner to stop stepping out of the bucket, this series could be a season changer.

Agree look at the week. Two walkoffs in a row starting with UAB and then handling a top 15 Auburn team. If a team doesn't have dominant pitching, we can score. This is not going to be last year results, all can see that but last year's NC team lost at home to Mizzou and run ruled after that twice. Baseball can turn and we have some talent.

Leroy Jenkins
04-16-2022, 10:36 AM
Agreed. Multiple rain delays can turn a game into a situation where each team throws 7 guys.

And we have a secret weapon, no, not Arceto Clark.

Lane Forsythe.

WSOPdawg
04-16-2022, 10:41 AM

With today's start time being pushed back to 3:00 and it being day 3 of the series, what's the possibility of this only being a 7 inning game? That would/could be huge for us, especially if we were able to get the game in.

WSOPdawg
04-16-2022, 10:43 AM
Agree look at the week. Two walkoffs in a row starting with UAB and then handling a top 15 Auburn team. If a team doesn't have dominant pitching, we can score. This is not going to be last year results, all can see that but last year's NC team lost at home to Mizzou and run ruled after that twice. Baseball can turn and we have some talent.

Agree, and someone will feel extremely "slighted" when defending national champion Mississippi State shows up as the #2 or #3 seed in their regional.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 11:21 AM
Agree, and someone will feel extremely "slighted" when defending national champion Mississippi State shows up as the #2 or #2 seed in their regional.

How cool would it be for a DallasBaptist to have the defending NC at home although didn't they have to have their regional at Virginia last year? That would suck.

R2Dawg
04-16-2022, 11:23 AM
And we have a secret weapon, no, not Arceto Clark.

Lane Forsythe.

Yep, Auger being out, Lane needs to get ready to be waved in. Still love that back when they waved at Thigpen in the outfield to come in and finish this thing.

Leroy Jenkins
04-16-2022, 11:31 AM
I want to be the 4 seed in the Southern Miss regional.

Cowbell
04-16-2022, 12:48 PM
I want to be the 4 seed in the Southern Miss regional.

Hahaha oh that's was a fun series lol

Schultzy
04-16-2022, 03:39 PM
Hahaha oh that's was a fun series lol

Lovelady HR in the 8th I think got that one done for us.

WSOPdawg
04-16-2022, 03:39 PM
Any update on game time start?

Skydawg1
04-16-2022, 03:44 PM
Jim just said 5 PM.