PDA

View Full Version : Brandon smith with the start

Cowbell
04-13-2022, 07:02 PM
Tomorrow night. Boy this is going to get interesting. Preston stays Friday and Cade goes Saturday.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2022, 07:07 PM
Good idea leaves everyone as close as possible to regular rotation, and really not a lot of options. Hopefully Brandon can pitch like he did last weekend. I was hoping he would get a shot to start after last weekend.

Leroy Jenkins
04-13-2022, 07:13 PM
https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/1514372809098731534?s=21&t=Bz6G62ExURG13J1POVVCTw

Cowbell
04-13-2022, 07:15 PM
Good idea leaves everyone as close as possible to regular rotation, and really not a lot of options. Hopefully Brandon can pitch like he did last weekend. I was hoping he would get a shot to start after last weekend.

Yes I'm happy for him. It seems like a feast or famine approach on Friday night and then we have a good chance on Saturday and Sunday now regardless of what happens on Friday

Coach34
04-13-2022, 07:32 PM
at this point- why not?

Commercecomet24
04-13-2022, 07:39 PM
at this point- why not?

Exactly

Cowbell
04-13-2022, 07:44 PM
at this point- why not?

Oh I agree

basedog
04-13-2022, 07:49 PM
Brandon at least will throw strikes. He deserves the start, we gotta hit and score some runs!

HoopsDawg
04-13-2022, 08:14 PM
Brandon at least will throw strikes. He deserves the start, we gotta hit and score some runs!

Yeah, I like it. It's tough for us in Game 1. If B. Smith gets beat, we still have a good chance to take the series. If the game is competitve we can bring in Hunt.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2022, 08:28 PM

This big time. He ain't gonna walk a village they gonna have to hit him. And you're right he's earned it.

State82
04-13-2022, 09:05 PM
at this point- why not?

Absolutely.

confucius say
04-13-2022, 09:42 PM
Is auburn throwing their Friday night guy Thursday?

The Federalist Engineer
04-13-2022, 09:45 PM
Exactly

Has to make a change, Stinnett is not competitive in the SEC

14-Innings
15-Earned Runs
0.286 - Batting Average Against
0.482 - On Base Percentage (15 hits and 16 BB in those 14 Innings)
9.64-ERA

Has not lasted 3 innings in the last 3 games.

Hambone
04-13-2022, 09:53 PM
I get the argument about who we should start on game one. But does it really matter if we don’t hit the ball? Seriously, if we are going to struggle hitting every teams best pitcher why not Johnny whole staff Friday and save every good pitcher for the second and third game?

I hate to have the mentality of admitting defeat before a game but how many games ones have we given the pitcher a chance?

662dawg
04-13-2022, 10:25 PM
Has to make a change, Stinnett is not competitive in the SEC

14-Innings
15-Earned Runs
0.286 - Batting Average Against
0.482 - On Base Percentage (15 hits and 16 BB in those 14 Innings)
9.64-ERA

Has not lasted 3 innings in the last 3 games.

👀

Todd4State
04-14-2022, 12:42 AM
I get the argument about who we should start on game one. But does it really matter if we don’t hit the ball? Seriously, if we are going to struggle hitting every teams best pitcher why not Johnny whole staff Friday and save every good pitcher for the second and third game?

I hate to have the mentality of admitting defeat before a game but how many games ones have we given the pitcher a chance?

Uh yes it does.

Case in point Game 2 against LSU. Stinnett gets us in a hole down 3-0. We come back to tie it. But lose 4-3. In theory we start Brandon Smith he probably leaves with a 3-1 lead. Doubt we would have pitched Fristoe after his meltdown the night before. Probably would have gone Pico who I think would have closed it out.

I don't think pitching Brandon is admitting defeat at all.

Todd4State
04-14-2022, 12:51 AM
I like this. Really makes sense.

Brandon may get hit- but he throws strikes. I can live with getting hit more than I can walking people.

I think they may be trying to get KC and Preston paired up eventually. I can't see it this weekend with KC having to throw 40 pitches or so against UAB on Tuesday. Honestly he may not even be available until Saturday. Hopefully after that we won't have to use him against Jackson State and can get to where we can start using him twice a weekend potentially.

Pico is typically solid out of the pen as is Auger. We can get multiple innings out of them.

I think we can get at least one out of Fristoe. But I don't think he can close. That last out pressure is something he really seems to struggle with.

We need to start using Talley more on the weekends. He had one WTF? outing against Southern where Lemonis chewed him out that's skewing his numbers. His K/BB ratio is 3:1. So, again he throws strikes. We need to get Tepper involved too.

Leroy Jenkins
04-14-2022, 06:40 AM

If you grenade your bullpen early in the series because your starter got chased in the 1st inning it's going to cost you more than one game.

Hambone
04-14-2022, 07:05 AM
If you grenade your bullpen early in the series because your starter got chased in the 1st inning it's going to cost you more than one game.

Reread my post. Pitch your guys that aren’t normally going to pitch on Friday. Leaves your bullpen open for Saturday and Sunday

Hambone
04-14-2022, 07:06 AM
Uh yes it does.

Case in point Game 2 against LSU. Stinnett gets us in a hole down 3-0. We come back to tie it. But lose 4-3. In theory we start Brandon Smith he probably leaves with a 3-1 lead. Doubt we would have pitched Fristoe after his meltdown the night before. Probably would have gone Pico who I think would have closed it out.

I don't think pitching Brandon is admitting defeat at all.

You just proved my point. That was the Saturday game. You would still have Brandon for Saturday.

Todd4State
04-14-2022, 12:58 PM
You just proved my point. That was the Saturday game. You would still have Brandon for Saturday.

Not really. We still have to try to win. We had the lead last Friday and lost it in the 9th for example.