PDA

View Full Version : Who is our catcher next year

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 05:23 PM
Serious question. I'm gonna miss LoTan behind the plate.

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 05:28 PM
Portal... has to be.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-10-2022, 05:30 PM
Jesus so even though we've had THREE YEARS of a solid catcher, and are one of the few teams in the country with a dedicated catching coach, we didn't recruit a SEC catcher to replace LoTan?

If we had a Quarterback start for 3 years and had nobody in house capable of replacing them, we'd crucify the HC for bad recruiting.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 05:35 PM
Highfill would be if he makes it to campus.

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 05:35 PM
I understand that Hancock is the back up if needed this year, But it really concerns me that we don't have a young guy getting reps at this position. This would be like us not recruiting a backup QB...

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 05:37 PM
Highfill would be if he makes it to campus.

Is he that good that he can step right in?

Is your son healing up?

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 05:43 PM
Is he that good that he can step right in?

Is your son healing up?

Yeah he's really good, elite. Will be a high draft pick. If he makes it to campus we in good shape.

Thanks for asking man. He was back and played a couple games this week and actually singled in the winning run in the 10th against coahoma last week. But the shoulder bit him again Thursday night against east central and he didn't play yesterday. We trying to make it through the season and hopefully spend summer getting back to 100%. He's already got it all lined up and hopefully avoid surgery. Appreciate you asking.

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 05:47 PM
I understand that Hancock is the back up if needed this year, But it really concerns me that we don't have a young guy getting reps at this position. This would be like us not recruiting a backup QB...

I get your point, but in defense, w scholarship limitations it's tough... it was going to be tough to sign a top notch one w Tanner and Hancock both here. And we couldn't afford to give a "good one" enough money to sit on the bench a year. So either, we go to the portal OR we hope highfill doesn't sign AND he pans out. That's a big roll of the dice.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 05:49 PM
I get your point, but in defense, w scholarship limitations it's tough... it was going to be tough to sign a top notch one w Tanner and Hancock both here. And we couldn't afford to give a "good one" enough money to sit on the bench a year. So either, we go to the portal OR we hope highfill doesn't sign AND he pans out. That's a big roll of the dice.

Yep this in a nutshell

Coach34
04-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Hancock most likely. It's not like he is a draft risk

BeardoMSU
04-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Covid year?

Coach34
04-10-2022, 06:04 PM
yeah

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 06:05 PM

Someone will take him. Billy Beane is still in the game. He'll probably sign since he has no leverage.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2022, 06:07 PM
OR we hope highfill doesn't sign AND he pans out. That's a big roll of the dice.

Yep, big risk there.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2022, 06:08 PM

I thought there was no chance of that. That would be big.

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 06:09 PM
Someone will take him. Billy Beane is still in the game. He'll probably sign since he has no leverage.

This

Coach34
04-10-2022, 06:10 PM

I dont see it with only 20 rounds and almost no looks as a catcher. Scouts arent showing up very often to watch us play SWAC teams

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 06:10 PM
We'll probably take a portal catcher regardless of whether Highfill comes to campus or not. Have to from a numbers perspective.

Whether we get him or not will probably determine whether we go after a Kruger type or a Mitch Slauter type.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 06:14 PM
I dont see it with only 20 rounds and almost no looks as a catcher. Scouts arent showing up very often to watch us play SWAC teams

They have enough video on that they can access without having to go to Starkville. He has shown power and he has a good batting eye. When they do away with shifts he'll be even better. Someone that can catch is hard to find and the fact that he has less wear and tear is not a negative. They've seen him in our scrimmages as well. Scouts are traveling less and less nowadays too. That's why Perfect Game is a nice luxury for organizations. They can herd all of the prospects in one place rather than go around the country to every high school and college in the country.

RougeDawg
04-10-2022, 06:58 PM
Hopefully one who doesn?t loaf behind the plate and cost us extra bases and runs because his receiving position is horrible.

Tanner has gotten the largest head since last season. He?s trying to go yard every AB and not being a team player. There are a few more of those but he?s the most noticeable. Too many me players and few team guys.

Saltydog
04-10-2022, 07:09 PM
Yep and I can tell you absolutely that he will leave if he does get drafted and even if he doesn't I can see him leaving, especially knowing what we'll be like next year (and it ain't good). He's kinda a tweener but he does get on base and I think he's going to get hot before the years over.

TNDawg35
04-10-2022, 07:32 PM
Hopefully one who doesn?t loaf behind the plate and cost us extra bases and runs because his receiving position is horrible.

Tanner has gotten the largest head since last season. He?s trying to go yard every AB and not being a team player. There are a few more of those but he?s the most noticeable. Too many me players and few team guys.

Glad I?m not the only one who sees it. Dude thinks he is Jack Parkman or some shit?

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 07:43 PM

He laced a ball to left today and about took the pitchers head off but sure... watch the games or have a better memory or continue w nonsense.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Just to give y'all some info on Logan that some of y'all may not know, he's been playing on a bum ankle since the Tulane series. He dinged it up again last week. Dude has been playing on one leg for awhile now because he knows we need him. Hard to catch on one leg but he's doing it so y'all may want to cut him a tiny bit of slack.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Just to give y'all some info on Logan that some of y'all may not know, he's been playing on a bum ankle since the Tulane series. He dinged it up again last week. Dude has been playing on one leg for awhile now because he knows we need him. Hard to catch on one leg but he's doing it so y'all may want to cut him a tiny bit of slack.

LT is a baller, and bulldog and one of the best catchers in the country. Crazy that people would direct any negative energy his way.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 07:56 PM
LT is a baller, and bulldog and one of the best catchers in the country. Crazy that people would direct any negative energy his way.

Yep. Catching is hard on a body and doing it on one leg even harder. I've seen people say he didn't run hard on that ground ball and crap like that. When your ankle is the size of a ham it makes it difficult to sprint sometimes. Much respect for him and what he's doing right now. I mean he has a pro ball future and he doesn't have to be out there with this injury right now but he's trying to help us win. He certainly hasn't "opted out" like so many college players in all sports do now.

KOdawg1
04-10-2022, 08:10 PM
It was iffy that Hancock would come back this year if I remember correctly, so I don't see him coming back next year even if he doesn't get drafted. The dude is what he is and another season won't change much.

Gonna need to hit the portal.

Coach34
04-10-2022, 08:13 PM
It was iffy that Hancock would come back this year if I remember correctly, so I don't see him coming back next year even if he doesn't get drafted. The dude is what he is and another season won't change much.

Gonna need to hit the portal.

He wasnt drafted. He was never iffy on coming back to State for MLB. The iffy was him transferring to catch every day

KOdawg1
04-10-2022, 08:39 PM
He wasnt drafted. He was never iffy on coming back to State for MLB. The iffy was him transferring to catch every day
I'm aware.

He's not coming back though.

Coach34
04-10-2022, 08:41 PM
I'm aware.

He's not coming back though.

Maybe not. But I would catch at State a whole season before I would end up in Low A riding the bus living with 3 other guys trying to make the most out of my meal money in Biden's economy

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 08:43 PM
Maybe not. But I would catch at State a whole season before I would end up in Low A riding the bus living with 3 other guys trying to make the most out of my meal money in Biden's economy

Got that right especially with nil deals and such. Staying at State he would make more money and not have to play on crappy fields and ride the buses in A ball.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2022, 08:45 PM

I'd love to have him back catching for us next year. Lemonis needs to either find a catcher or organize an LOI deal to keep him at MSU.

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 08:55 PM

Oh I understand - I rarely question our coaching/recruiting. I just think some on here don't realize just how good we have it to have him and then Hancock to back him up. I think he frames up pitches as good as any I've seen in a while...

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 09:34 PM
Got that right especially with nil deals and such. Staying at State he would make more money and not have to play on crappy fields and ride the buses in A ball.

Regardless of what Hancock decides to do MSU needs to use NIL to recruit some of our past round 10 guys back to school. Would be really nice to have Houston Harding back right now! Getting a guy like a Hancock or in the past say a Hunter Stovall makes a huge difference. And MSU could absolutely outbid MLB for players like that with the slot system using NIL.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 09:39 PM
Regardless of what Hancock decides to do MSU needs to use NIL to recruit some of our past round 10 guys back to school. Would be really nice to have Houston Harding back right now! Getting a guy like a Hancock or in the past say a Hunter Stovall makes a huge difference. And MSU could absolutely outbid MLB for players like that with the slot system using NIL.

Yeah with what's in place now we definitely should be able to get/hang onto more fringe draft players who are really good college players but will never sniff an mlb roster.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 09:46 PM
Yeah with what's in place now we definitely should be able to get/hang onto more fringe draft players who are really good college players but will never sniff an mlb roster.

I hope Stovall and Harding make it. If we can show that we can get fringe guys back for their senior year and then they still get to MLB it will be an even bigger selling point. Harding did end up in AA last year and Stovall is starting the year there now. So maybe...

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 09:48 PM
I hope Stovall and Harding make it. If we can show that we can get fringe guys back for their senior year and then they still get to MLB it will be an even bigger selling point. Harding did end up in AA last year and Stovall is starting the year there now. So maybe...

Definitely would be beneficial for State and the player

RougeDawg
04-11-2022, 12:59 AM
He laced a ball to left today and about took the pitchers head off but sure... watch the games or have a better memory or continue w nonsense.

I do watch the games. He?s lazy behind the plate and coat us at least one run in the first two Ark games. He costs us at least one run in more games than. He doesn?t.

Hitting wise he?s over swinging and dipping his back side to try to hit bombs. Hence all or nothing. And more of the nothing than all. He pimps his homeruns and then strikes out 6-8 times between them by being pull and homerun happy. He doesn?t shorten his swing and play team baseball when needed. Shall I continue, because I could co about 8 paragraphs about his and others selfish at bats that are the reason we are on the outside looking in currently.

Maybe you are watching last years games and not 2022. Might want to get that checked out.

msubaseball5976
04-11-2022, 09:17 AM

I usually don?t post here, just read. But for the record, I know for a fact Luke had two offers in the draft last year. He turned them down to come back to state. To act like he wouldn?t ever be drafted and come back next year is false information.

EdwardDrayton
04-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Dunno but hope he can play shortstop too. ****

Cooterpoot
04-11-2022, 10:59 AM
I do watch the games. He?s lazy behind the plate and coat us at least one run in the first two Ark games. He costs us at least one run in more games than. He doesn?t.

Hitting wise he?s over swinging and dipping his back side to try to hit bombs. Hence all or nothing. And more of the nothing than all. He pimps his homeruns and then strikes out 6-8 times between them by being pull and homerun happy. He doesn?t shorten his swing and play team baseball when needed. Shall I continue, because I could co about 8 paragraphs about his and others selfish at bats that are the reason we are on the outside looking in currently.

Maybe you are watching last years games and not 2022. Might want to get that checked out.

Maybe you're the dumbest 17 on the board. Lazy players aren't 1st round projections. He's banged up & basically is forced to catch every game because we haven't added a viable catcher. And I don't know where this bullshit "selfish" at bat idea came from but that's some of the silliest non-sense I've ever heard of. There's truly no such damn thing. But there is a such thing as trying to do too damn much and pressing to try to tote the load. Tanner could've pitched for us had he so chosen. He'll be on a pro roster in a few years barring injury. You'll still be posting pathetic takes and general dumbassery.

Homedawg
04-11-2022, 12:29 PM

I'm sure, even positive he's had bad at bats. Everyone does at every level, except clearly you. However, had you just watched YESTERDAYS game he clearly wasn't just turning and burning. Shall i continue, Ted WIlliams??? Surely that's you!

Ari Gold
04-11-2022, 05:08 PM
Up the middle next year..
catcher?
SS?
2b?
Cf?
Again how in the world in what will be year 5 are we in this position??

HoopsDawg
04-11-2022, 05:14 PM
catcher?
SS?
2b?
Cf?

It's a great fcking question. I have no idea.

Tater
04-11-2022, 08:26 PM
Maybe you're the dumbest 17 on the board. Lazy players aren't 1st round projections. He's banged up & basically is forced to catch every game because we haven't added a viable catcher. And I don't know where this bullshit "selfish" at bat idea came from but that's some of the silliest non-sense I've ever heard of. There's truly no such damn thing. But there is a such thing as trying to do too damn much and pressing to try to tote the load. Tanner could've pitched for us had he so chosen. He'll be on a pro roster in a few years barring injury. You'll still be posting pathetic takes and general dumbassery.

quality post. idiots need to be told they're idiots. repped

KOdawg1
04-11-2022, 08:35 PM
catcher?
SS?
2b?
Cf?

It's pretty head scratching for sure.

Forsythe is probably the SS next year because of his glove, but he's never going to hit much more than his weight.

Catcher, 2B, and CF need to be transfers. Bane, Meche, and Skinner/McGowan aren't the answers

Homedawg
04-11-2022, 09:03 PM
It's pretty head scratching for sure.

Forsythe is probably the SS next year because of his glove, but he's never going to hit much more than his weight.

Catcher, 2B, and CF need to be transfers. Bane, Meche, and Skinner/McGowan aren't the answers

Meche won't be here if I had to bet. McGowan isn't on scholarship I know. But correct on all counts.

Todd4State
04-11-2022, 09:38 PM
Meche won't be here if I had to bet. McGowan isn't on scholarship I know. But correct on all counts.

Lemonis seems to like McGowan so I'm guessing he is staying. I'm guessing they'll ask Skinner to move on after this year.

EdwardDrayton
04-11-2022, 09:47 PM
quality post. idiots need to be told they're idiots. repped

False. Because you are neither omniscient nor omnipotent.

KOdawg1
04-11-2022, 09:49 PM
Lemonis seems to like McGowan so I'm guessing he is staying. I'm guessing they'll ask Skinner to move on after this year.

Skinner was close to getting cut after fall practices if what I heard is correct. He's a good athlete but he's not an SEC hitter.

Todd4State
04-11-2022, 10:36 PM
Skinner was close to getting cut after fall practices if what I heard is correct. He's a good athlete but he's not an SEC hitter.

They might let him stay because of what he did in Omaha. More of a PR thing than anything.

Tater
04-11-2022, 11:48 PM
False. Because you are neither omniscient nor omnipotent.

what??

it doesn't take being a deity to know someone said something ridiculously stupid.

Coach34
04-12-2022, 08:30 AM
Not having an SEC level SS for the 3rd year in a row next year would be extremely disappointing

Homedawg
04-12-2022, 09:32 PM
Guess rouge has been coaching LT up.... him and his selfish self ... if only they all listened to the guru...

Homedawg
04-12-2022, 09:34 PM

McGowan will have to get one of the 8 non scholarship spots. And he's a utility catcher. Question is will he want to come back?? Some love it here and want to see it out. Others want to go play. I have no problem w the latter. But get the former for sure.

confucius say
04-12-2022, 10:22 PM

And there is some chatter of a nil deal from an outfit in his hometown that could help

HoopsDawg
04-12-2022, 10:25 PM
I usually don?t post here, just read. But for the record, I know for a fact Luke had two offers in the draft last year. He turned them down to come back to state. To act like he wouldn?t ever be drafted and come back next year is false information.

any chance he comes back for 1 more year? We need him.

Johnson85
04-13-2022, 11:27 AM
Yep. Catching is hard on a body and doing it on one leg even harder. I've seen people say he didn't run hard on that ground ball and crap like that. When your ankle is the size of a ham it makes it difficult to sprint sometimes. Much respect for him and what he's doing right now. I mean he has a pro ball future and he doesn't have to be out there with this injury right now but he's trying to help us win. He certainly hasn't "opted out" like so many college players in all sports do now.

Why in the hell is he catching on a bum ankle? I know he's a plus catcher and Hancock may not be, but that seems like the only place where we could actually afford a good player to sit and rest.

Coach34
04-13-2022, 11:44 AM

If he turned it down it means he was offered a twix and a Dr Pepper to sign. Which he will be again this June as well.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2022, 12:08 PM
Why in the hell is he catching on a bum ankle? I know he's a plus catcher and Hancock may not be, but that seems like the only place where we could actually afford a good player to sit and rest.

Probably because he's a competitor and he's trying to help the team win. These players play hurt and banged up more than most realize. They want to win. Heck I've played with a broken bone in my hand and torn cartilage.

Johnson85
04-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Probably because he's a competitor and he's trying to help the team win. These players play hurt and banged up more than most realize. They want to win. Heck I've played with a broken bone in my hand and torn cartilage.

Oh I get why he wants to play. You really have to be a freak athlete to be able to play at this level and not be the type of guy that wants to play. I'm just surprised that if he's hurting badly enough that his ankle is really swollen and he has trouble running things out that the coaches aren't having him sit and rest since we actually have a solid back up for him. Even if they put him at DH, I would assume that would let him heal up some compared to playing catcher.

Commercecomet24
04-14-2022, 03:08 PM
Oh I get why he wants to play. You really have to be a freak athlete to be able to play at this level and not be the type of guy that wants to play. I'm just surprised that if he's hurting badly enough that his ankle is really swollen and he has trouble running things out that the coaches aren't having him sit and rest since we actually have a solid back up for him. Even if they put him at DH, I would assume that would let him heal up some compared to playing catcher.

I completely understand where you're coming from. The kids tough and doesn't want to come out. He's trying to be a leader contrary to what I've seen some on here say(not you, but others). Folks that catch seem to have a different mentality(my kids one of them), they deal with so many bangs and bruises they just look at stuff like this as just another one.

basedog
04-14-2022, 03:24 PM
I completely understand where you're coming from. The kids tough and doesn't want to come out. He's trying to be a leader contrary to what I've seen some on here say(not you, but others). Folks that catch seem to have a different mentality(my kids one of them), they deal with so many bangs and bruises they just look at stuff like this as just another one.

Hope all is pain free soon and pulling for you and yo kids!