PDA

View Full Version : Is our baseball team cooked?

msstate7
04-10-2022, 09:28 AM
This weekend has been terribly frustrating, but we really should be going for a sweep today. Can we still put it together and sneak into the tourney? Auburn, at OM (suddenly don't look like world beaters), at Mizzou, Florida, at aTm, and Tenn are our remaining sec series. If we are gonna make a run, it has to start today.

StarkVegasSteve
04-10-2022, 09:34 AM
We said the same thing last week. Said if we can win Sunday then we will be ok. Same song, different verse. This season is done. We need to give these young guys some ABs and see what we got. We already know we need at least 6-7 players out of the portal. Now is the time to if that number is correct or does it need to be closer to 10-12

msstate7
04-10-2022, 09:36 AM
We said the same thing last week. Said if we can win Sunday then we will be ok. Same song, different verse. This season is done. We need to give these young guys some ABs and see what we got. We already know we need at least 6-7 players out of the portal. Now is the time to if that number is correct or does it need to be closer to 10-12

I wouldn't wave the white flag till at least next Sunday. If we can get through these next 5 games, 4-1, I think we still have a pulse. If we go 2-3...

StarkVegasSteve
04-10-2022, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't wave the white flag till at least next Sunday. If we can get through these next 5 games, 4-1, I think we still have a pulse. If we go 2-3...

I like your confidence. The last two days have cooked any confidence I had left in this years team. Hines, who some thought was our best hitter, is 1-21 with 16 Ks in his last 6 games and probably needs to sit a couple of games.

msstate7
04-10-2022, 09:49 AM
I like your confidence. The last two days have cooked any confidence I had left in this years team. Hines, who some thought was our best hitter, is 1-21 with 16 Ks in his last 6 games and probably needs to sit a couple of games.

I'm not confident AT ALL haha

I'm just HOPING we can figure it out

EdwardDrayton
04-10-2022, 09:57 AM
I'm not confident AT ALL haha

I'm just HOPING we can figure it out

As you well know we did the same thing every week with basketball. State sports can be soul crushing for the eternal optimist.

GolfDawg
04-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Everyone talks about whether this team lacks leadership or not. I think what this team is really missing is a team player that brings fun to the game that we?re so used to with Mississippi State baseball.

Our teams through the years are usually fun teams to watch that play loose, have good chemistry, and have one or two guys that are the face of the program that are dynamic to watch. I don?t see that this year. When you look down our lineup, the better players are generally quiet, reserved types, at least on the field. The exceptions come across as cocky and self absorbed IMO.

confucius say
04-10-2022, 10:47 AM
Things are about to improve because our staff has now finally figured out to stop throwing stinnett and tullar after 2 years. The fact that we ran stinnet out there yesterday is an Indictment against our coaches. Just stupid. Everybody said it all week

Cooterpoot
04-10-2022, 10:57 AM
It's just not a good team. Too many moving parts and no way to really gel. This isn't getting better until we bring in young talent and rebuild IMO. Lemonis has his work cutout for him.

GolfDawg
04-10-2022, 11:11 AM
It's just not a good team. Too many moving parts and no way to really gel. This isn't getting better until we bring in young talent and rebuild IMO. Lemonis has his work cutout for him.

You?re right. It?s hard to gel with the constant changes in the lineup. Usually SS and CF are gonna be the guys that help shape the mindset on the field. Can?t do that when you?re afraid of getting benched/not an everyday starter. I just hate seeing the guys pressing so hard. Easy to say that from the couch though.

It just seems like each of our players is trying to hit a double when they just need to do a job. And when you?re trying hard not to strike out with a man on third less that two outs, guess what happens. Yesterday in that situation we took a called strike one in that situation. You just can?t do that. Come out attacking.

CaptainObvious
04-10-2022, 01:09 PM
Things are about to improve because our staff has now finally figured out to stop throwing stinnett and tullar after 2 years. The fact that we ran stinnet out there yesterday is an Indictment against our coaches. Just stupid. Everybody said it all week

So you are saying that scoring 3 runs while going 1-15 with RISP, 0-9 with 9 strikeouts with a runner at 2nd or 3rd or both with less that 2 outs. Is due to the decision to pitch Stinnett?

I have said it for 40 years and I?ll keep saying it. In college baseball with metal bats you have to score more than 5 runs to win 90% of the time. This team is so Jekyll and Hyde, they have scored 11 and lost and have amazingly lost every game they score 1 run or less, all but 1 game where they score 2( that win was against a SWAC team) and all but 1 game where they scored 3, every game where they scored 4, split the games where the scored 5, split the games where they scored 6.

1 more note to add: State is 2-11 when scoring 6 runs or less. We lost a game we scored 10 in and a game we scored 11 in and a game we scored 7 in.

There?s your 14 losses.

ScooterDog
04-10-2022, 02:47 PM
I appreciate all the good comments and stuff from y'all, but the bottom line is this: We play just good enough for you to get your hopes up. No more, no less. Agree?

Mjoelner34
04-10-2022, 03:05 PM
This weekend has been terribly frustrating, but we really should be going for a sweep today. Can we still put it together and sneak into the tourney? Auburn, at OM (suddenly don't look like world beaters), at Mizzou, Florida, at aTm, and Tenn are our remaining sec series. If we are gonna make a run, it has to start today.

Are you talking SEC tourney or NCAA tourney?

msstate7
04-10-2022, 03:06 PM
Are you talking SEC tourney or NCAA tourney?

They're cooked.

NCDawg
04-10-2022, 03:15 PM
Amazing how we can fall from National Champions to this bad in one year.

Bothrops
04-10-2022, 03:48 PM
We'll do better against teams that we aren't submissive to. LSU and Arkansas know where to take us in the woods.

Saltydog
04-10-2022, 03:52 PM

7, we're past cooked. We're well done..........It's over...........I don't see us making the SECT.........That'll give me 4 extra weekends in June to do yard work..........Thanks Lemo and company........

DownwardDawg
04-10-2022, 03:59 PM
This is totally unacceptable for State baseball. That National Champ "shine" is gonna wear off real quick.

Saltydog
04-10-2022, 04:00 PM
We'll do better against teams that we aren't submissive to. LSU and Arkansas know where to take us in the woods.

Yep, against Upig and the coonasses we are Ned Beatty and we have a pretty mouth.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 04:56 PM
Everyone talks about whether this team lacks leadership or not. I think what this team is really missing is a team player that brings fun to the game that we?re so used to with Mississippi State baseball.

Our teams through the years are usually fun teams to watch that play loose, have good chemistry, and have one or two guys that are the face of the program that are dynamic to watch. I don?t see that this year. When you look down our lineup, the better players are generally quiet, reserved types, at least on the field. The exceptions come across as cocky and self absorbed IMO.

Hole in one post.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 04:58 PM
So you are saying that scoring 3 runs while going 1-15 with RISP, 0-9 with 9 strikeouts with a runner at 2nd or 3rd or both with less that 2 outs. Is due to the decision to pitch Stinnett?

I have said it for 40 years and I?ll keep saying it. In college baseball with metal bats you have to score more than 5 runs to win 90% of the time. This team is so Jekyll and Hyde, they have scored 11 and lost and have amazingly lost every game they score 1 run or less, all but 1 game where they score 2( that win was against a SWAC team) and all but 1 game where they scored 3, every game where they scored 4, split the games where the scored 5, split the games where they scored 6.

1 more note to add: State is 2-11 when scoring 6 runs or less. We lost a game we scored 10 in and a game we scored 11 in and a game we scored 7 in.

There?s your 14 losses.

Both can be true. Stinnett set the tone getting us in a hole early. The offense actually played well enough to tie the game.

That's not to say that the offense did well. Don't get me wrong.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 04:59 PM
This is totally unacceptable for State baseball. That National Champ "shine" is gonna wear off real quick.

We've gotten away from our core culture.

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 05:24 PM
We've invented ways to lose games. We outhit lsu for the weekend and didn't win a game. Friday, can't get a final out. Sat can't get a key hit. Today, give em 5 outs in and inning and they explode. We had a hit in every inning through the 7th today, just couldn't piece anything together.

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 05:25 PM
We've gotten away from our core culture.

What does this mean? We haven't had anyone on either side, pitching or hitting be clutch.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 06:08 PM
What does this mean? We haven't had anyone on either side, pitching or hitting be clutch.

The types of players we recruit has shifted. And not in a good way. When was the last Rowdey type player we signed?

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 06:22 PM
The types of players we recruit has shifted. And not in a good way. When was the last Rowdey type player we signed?

You mean a quiet, soft spoken, switch hitter, that wore earrings w long hair, and hit .300? I can't think of any other.... ever

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 06:30 PM
You mean a quiet, soft spoken, switch hitter, that wore earrings w long hair, and hit .300? I can't think of any other.... ever

I'm not talking about their personality off the field. I'm talking about how they play the game. He played the game hard.

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 06:35 PM
I'm not talking about their personality off the field. I'm talking about how they play the game. He played the game hard.

We aren't losing because we aren't playing hard. We are losing Bc we can't execute in clutch situations. If we do that in X amount of games our record is way better. Just go through the losses. We could have a way better record w just one play in a half dozen of them. Like I said before, we are inventing ways to lose. But it's not Bc we aren't playing hard.

RougeDawg
04-10-2022, 06:48 PM
Gonna take a small miracle but I?m fairly certain you can stick a fork in this season. Unless there are a few sweeps mixed in to winning 5 of the next 6 series. Don?t see that happening.

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 06:50 PM
Gonna take a small miracle but I?m fairly certain you can stick a fork in this season. Unless there are a few sweeps mixed in to winning 5 of the next 6 series. Don?t see that happening.

Maybe so, even probably......but let's play the last 18 sec games and hope. 2018 ring a bell? Need something good to happen for sure, and soon

HoopsDawg
04-10-2022, 06:53 PM

Gonna have to keep rolling Fristoe out there and jus hope he can get it done. We don't have any other options and he has looked good at times.

Coach34
04-10-2022, 07:02 PM
We would need 14 SEC wins to get in I imagine.

Auburn Go 2-1
@Mississippi Say 2-1
@Mizzou Say 2-1
Florida Say 1-2
@A&M Say 1-2
Tenn Say 0-3

Thats 12-18 in the SEC and us at home in June

RougeDawg
04-10-2022, 07:04 PM
Maybe so, even probably......but let's play the last 18 sec games and hope. 2018 ring a bell? Need something good to happen for sure, and soon

There have been winnable games we would have one with one or two key hits. We have not gotten many key hits since Georgia. Turns out they are pretty good. If for some resin they clutch hits start coming, 15 wins can happen. Baseball has a funny way of the pendulum swinging quickly back in the other direction. Maybe it happens at the end of the season. Time will tell.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2022, 07:12 PM

Auburn Go 2-1
@Mississippi Say 2-1
@Mizzou Say 2-1
Florida Say 1-2
@A&M Say 1-2
Tenn Say 0-3

whew, those are resonable projections. We are in deep trouble. Got to figure out a way to load up our pitching for 2 games. It would be outside the box, but that may be our best shot.

KOdawg1
04-10-2022, 08:13 PM

Auburn Go 2-1
@Mississippi Say 2-1
@Mizzou Say 2-1
Florida Say 1-2
@A&M Say 1-2
Tenn Say 0-3

Welp, we're done. That's sobering.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 10:08 PM
We aren't losing because we aren't playing hard. We are losing Bc we can't execute in clutch situations. If we do that in X amount of games our record is way better. Just go through the losses. We could have a way better record w just one play in a half dozen of them. Like I said before, we are inventing ways to lose. But it's not Bc we aren't playing hard.

I agree we're playing hard but we also at the same time they aren't playing the game the right way. That's what I meant when I said "hard". It's either Gautreau's fault for not emphasizing putting the ball in play with runners in scoring position and less than two outs or the players are making a choice not to do so with their approach. A team doesn't strike out that much in that situation without one of the two going on. Or some of both. It's selfish baseball. And they get exposed time and time again.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 10:17 PM

Auburn Go 2-1
@Mississippi Say 2-1
@Mizzou Say 2-1
Florida Say 1-2
@A&M Say 1-2
Tenn Say 0-3

12 puts us on the bubble historically speaking. 13 probably gets us in.

msstate7
04-11-2022, 05:53 AM

We're 91st in rpi - last in sec. We're behind Kansas. We're done

Kylesandi338
04-11-2022, 08:17 AM
Stop throwing fastballs in Batting practice and throw them changeups nd curveballs in the dirt until they finally realize NOT to swing at them. I know easier said than done, but its rediculous how many fastballs they watch and then swing at the next changeup in the dirt. Coaching needs to get these guys better prepared on what pitch to anticipate . The scouting report is written in STONE, Pitch them dirt balls and they will swing. This blame goes on Gautreau and been here for years now. We were just fortunate with TA, Rowdy and Mangum and a few others and their talent covered up this deficiency. Time for Lemonis to put his assistants in CHECK in my opinion.

PGHBulldogBG
04-11-2022, 08:17 AM
Our only chance is to sweep Auburn and Missouri. @ole miss, @atm, UF is 1-2 for all those and then 0-3 against UT. If we do that it gives us 13 wins. That really puts our backs against the wall needing to win a lot in the SEC tournament. Oh and we need to not lose any mid week games and win Govenors Cup as well

EdwardDrayton
04-11-2022, 09:09 AM

Auburn Go 2-1
@Mississippi Say 2-1
@Mizzou Say 2-1
Florida Say 1-2
@A&M Say 1-2
Tenn Say 0-3

Our optimism is waning, replaced with equal parts resignation. <sigh>

OLJWales
04-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Our Team AND our Goose are both Cooked.

Coach34
04-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Not with the midweek losses we have. As Seven points out- our RPI is bad

Homedawg
04-11-2022, 10:36 AM
agree 13 and we're out. And 14 is still bubble, depending on who the wins are against.

Commercecomet24
04-11-2022, 11:29 AM
We gotta find a way to get to 14 SEC wins to have a shot. Anything below that and we're done.

The Federalist Engineer
04-11-2022, 12:30 PM
Thinking about next year...

(1) Lemonis needs to go recruit and flip some of Vitello's and Van Horn's kids. Go sell MSU, the Championship, the Dude, and real Baseball culture. If Vitello freaks-out and punches Lemonis on May 19, that's taking one for the team.
(2) Fox needs 6 to 8 pitchers that can contribute immediately to supplement Cade Smith and Pico Kohn. These are the only two pitchers that we know are SEC Competitive and also certain to return. The rest are still just prospects, or worse.
(3) Fox needs to physically be in Cape Cod and personally watch, identify, and recruit the 6 to 8 guys that want to play in the SEC as Juniors and Seniors. Plus, Tepper, Fristoe, Pico, and Walker should be there too.
(4) Downs and Alford need to play more
(5) Need to find some Elijah MacNanmee, Nick Vickerson, Brett Pirtle, Nate Lowe, Jack Kruger type transfers, just asking for a miracle. John Cohen found all these guys, or maybe Mingione did
(6) What happened to Bryce Chance? He was killing it in the fall

Choctaw Dawg
04-11-2022, 12:42 PM

Bama went 12-17 and had a RPI of 36 last year and slipped in. We at least know the threshold to make but our RPI sucks at the moment

Coach34
04-11-2022, 12:45 PM
Bama went 12-17 and had a RPI of 36 last year and slipped in. We at least know the threshold to make but our RPI sucks at the moment

12 SEC wins wont get us to an RPI of 36 this season plus C19 still was a factor. Not this year

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2022, 12:50 PM

National Champ shine wore off the second we took the field this year and on opening day got beat by a 1 hit shutout.
Seriously, love that we are national champs, but that was last years team. This years team hasn't done a damn thing.
Here is what Mike Leach thinks about last years team and this years efforts. Some these Mfers going to get rolled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaOFTp5_C8

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2022, 12:56 PM
Damn. Leach had it 100% correct.

StarkVegasSteve
04-11-2022, 01:07 PM
Our players just need a reality check. They need to be told if they can't get it done then they can sit and figure it out or they need to pursue other baseball opportunities. Losing your spot can light a fire in some players(Yeager and Dubrule) and we got some guys that need to lose their spot for a few games and we got a few that need to pursue other opportunities at the end of the year.

Changes need to be made up and down our roster or next year will be a repeat of this year. And if Lemonis thinks the fanbase is mad now have another bad year and see what happens.

HoopsDawg
04-11-2022, 01:52 PM

I said it pre-season and got a lot of pushback, no reason to play Northern Kentucky and Princeton for weekend series. That's bad scheduling. And it could end up costing us if we get to 13 SEC wins.

the59dawg
04-11-2022, 02:19 PM
Amazing how we can fall from National Champions to this bad in one year.

Last year we had two outstanding starting pitchers and a fair 3rd. Also had the best reliever (Sims) in a long, long time and several pretty good relievers.
This year we have a couple fair starters who can usually get 5-6 innings giving up 1-3 runs before running out of gas. We have 1 or 2 fair relievers who always give up runs, usually enough for us to lose.
Hard to say hitting is better than the pitching so I won't say it. One regular hitting over .250. That tells the story. Did I see team average is pushing down towrd .200? That's sad, sad.

OLJWales
04-11-2022, 02:34 PM
This team is like an abusive husband and yall keep hoping he'll stop the abuse.

Commercecomet24
04-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Last year we had two outstanding starting pitchers and a fair 3rd. Also had the best reliever (Sims) in a long, long time and several pretty good relievers.
This year we have a couple fair starters who can usually get 5-6 innings giving up 1-3 runs before running out of gas. We have 1 or 2 fair relievers who always give up runs, usually enough for us to lose.
Hard to say hitting is better than the pitching so I won't say it. One regular hitting over .250. That tells the story. Did I see team average is pushing down towrd .200? That's sad, sad.

Well while our hitting hasn't been Yankee-esque, it's not quite that bad. Yeager .317, James .308, Tanner .297,
Cumbest .297, Hancock .282, Clark .260, Hines .254 and the team batting average is .270.

sandjunky
04-11-2022, 03:00 PM
Well while our hitting hasn't been Yankee-esque, it's not quite that bad. Yeager .317, James .308, Tanner .297,
Cumbest .297, Hancock .282, Clark .260, Hines .254 and the team batting average is .270.

SEC only
BA - .252 OPS .772 122K/46BB

ERA 7.06 85ER (t13th) 74BB(14th) 115K - to put into perspective UT has 13BB with only 13 more K

Our pitching effing sucks and our situational hitting is abysmal at best

BayouDawg
04-11-2022, 03:04 PM
SEC only

ERA 7.06 85ER (t13th) 74BB(14th) 115K - to put into perspective UT has 13BB with only 13 more K

Yea its the situational hitting and really situational everything. Just cant consistently do the little things across the board.

basedog
04-11-2022, 03:04 PM

I wonder what those six hitters averages are with men on base and RISP? Seems we can't piece this group together, consecutive hits seems to be far in between. I wonder where we stand with sac bunts in the Sec? Just saying.

But walks have killed our pitching staff and that stat is about as bad as lack of clutch hitting.

basedog
04-11-2022, 03:05 PM
SEC only

That tells the story.

Commercecomet24
04-11-2022, 03:30 PM
I wonder what those six hitters averages are with men on base and RISP? Seems we can't piece this group together, consecutive hits seems to be far in between. I wonder where we stand with sac bunts in the Sec? Just saying.

But walks have killed our pitching staff and that stat is about as bad as lack of clutch hitting.

Situational baseball has killed us all year, whether it's not getting the big hit, mis plays in the field, or walks from pitching staff, we have found different ways to lose. Friday night we couldn't get the last out, saturday 1 for 15 with RISP, Sunday we misplay a popup to left that let's them blow a game open. And I agree the walks by the pitching staff have generated way to many runs for the opposition to go along with our lack of hitting in the clutch. Baseball is a wonderfully strange game and it can change at any minute but we are running out of rope.

Commercecomet24
04-11-2022, 03:30 PM
SEC only

Yeah that's pretty ugly.

HoopsDawg
04-11-2022, 03:31 PM
SEC only

Wait, UT pitching has only walked 13 and our staff has walked 74? Goodness

basedog
04-11-2022, 03:58 PM
Situational baseball has killed us all year, whether it's not getting the big hit, mis plays in the field, or walks from pitching staff, we have found different ways to lose. Friday night we couldn't get the last out, saturday 1 for 15 with RISP, Sunday we misplay a popup to left that let's them blow a game open. And I agree the walks by the pitching staff have generated way to many runs for the opposition to go along with our lack of hitting in the clutch. Baseball is a wonderfully strange game and it can change at any minute but we are running out of rope.

It's most definitely a strange game. Again the amount of total K's our batters have is as bad as I can remember, hard to explain why we don't put the ball in play more. But the free passes of our pitchers is just as bad. Lot of the blame is on coaching decisions also, but players have to play the game and they haven't!

Commercecomet24
04-11-2022, 04:35 PM
It's most definitely a strange game. Again the amount of total K's our batters have is as bad as I can remember, hard to explain why we don't put the ball in play more. But the free passes of our pitchers is just as bad. Lot of the blame is on coaching decisions also, but players have to play the game and they haven't!

Yeah it is. I was talking with another poster yesterday and we were discussing the Tenn/Missouri game. Missouri outhit ut 9-5 committed no errors, Tenn commited one, but Tenn won the game 4-3.

I hate walks with a passion because they're non competitive. You give your team no chance to make a play at all. You challenge hitters and if they get a hit, so be it.

OLJWales
04-11-2022, 06:10 PM
Yeah it is. I was talking with another poster yesterday and we were discussing the Tenn/Missouri game. Missouri outhit ut 9-5 committed no errors, Tenn commited one, but Tenn won the game 4-3.

I hate walks with a passion because they're non competitive. You give your team no chance to make a play at all. You challenge hitters and if they get a hit, so be it.

Preach. Leadoff walks have a much higher chance to score than leadoff singles cuz it takes less hits to do so.

Todd4State
04-11-2022, 06:50 PM
Preach. Leadoff walks have a much higher chance to score than leadoff singles cuz it takes less hits to do so.

Hmmm...never thought about it that way.

BayouDawg
04-11-2022, 07:49 PM
Hmmm...never thought about it that way.

Based on statistics hes right. If there is a 30 percent chance to get a hit and you need 3 hits before you get a run the percentage is greater youll get 3 outs before you get 3 hits. You give a free base then you just need two hits. Which has a higher probability than 3 hits.

Homedawg
04-11-2022, 08:14 PM
Based on statistics hes right. If there is a 30 percent chance to get a hit and you need 3 hits before you get a run the percentage is greater youll get 3 outs before you get 3 hits. You give a free base then you just need two hits. Which has a higher probability than 3 hits.

Maybe so. But you're acting like a walk can't occur after the hit. Would still put the runner in scoring position. Walk+single=single+walk...... no difference

OLJWales
04-11-2022, 10:12 PM
Maybe so. But you're acting like a walk can't occur after the hit. Would still put the runner in scoring position. Walk+single=single+walk...... no difference

Valid Point from a different scenario perspective but at the end of the day walks create higher scoring option percentages because it's a 100% free base that didn't require the other 30% option to occur which is why walks suck so hard because they allow an offense one less 30% hit requirement to bring a runner home.

Todd4State
04-11-2022, 10:35 PM

That's the problem. Too many pitchers are afraid for the other team to hit them. So, they would rather walk a guy.

BayouDawg
04-11-2022, 10:44 PM

Very true. I think the premise was leadoff walks though that I was responding to. But still a lot of moving parts and the probabilities change after each outcome.

OLJWales
04-15-2022, 02:38 PM

Single + Walk is a guaranteed runners at 1st & 2nd while the Walk followed by a hit sometimes gives a 1st & 3rd enabling the next batter to hit a can of corn deep enough to get a sac fly.

State82
04-15-2022, 04:29 PM
Single + Walk is a guaranteed runners at 1st & 2nd while the Walk followed by a hit sometimes gives a 1st & 3rd with the next batter to hit a can of corn deep enough to get the sac fly.

Correct. There is definitely a difference.

Cowbell
04-15-2022, 04:54 PM

Absolutely not true. It's exactly the same. After you give up the one hit you still need the two hits which is the same as after the walk. To compare this accurately you have to compare the chances of getting a walk and two hits versus three hits.

OLJWales
04-15-2022, 05:50 PM
Absolutely not true. It's exactly the same. After you give up the one hit you still need the two hits which is the same as after the walk. To compare this accurately you have to compare the chances of getting a walk and two hits versus three hits.

Nope. Leadoff walks have a much higher percentage to score than leadoff singles for a reason because you've created a scenario where less hits are required to plate the leadoff walk.

Commercecomet24
04-15-2022, 07:22 PM
Nope. Leadoff walks have a much higher percentage to score than leadoff singles for a reason because you've created a scenario where less hits are required to plate the leadoff walk.

Actually this is incorrect. Leadoff singles AND leadoff walks both score at a 38% rate.

Here's a link to one of many articles:

https://www.billjamesonline.com/stats297/

Homedawg
04-16-2022, 01:56 PM
Actually this is incorrect. Leadoff singles AND leadoff walks both score at a 38% rate.

I hate it when people bring facts to an argument***

Schultzy
04-16-2022, 02:01 PM

Thank you, my head was about to explode in exasperation.

Schultzy
04-16-2022, 02:07 PM
That's the problem. Too many pitchers are afraid for the other team to hit them. So, they would rather walk a guy.

This is true much of the time and it’s also true that SEC Umps are so inconsistent that it’s hard to know what the strike zone is from week to week or inning to inning.