PDA

View Full Version : Will the Lemonis Saga go the way of Miles, O & Chiznik? Too Early to Speculate BUT

OLJWales
04-10-2022, 06:39 AM
Helluva Compelling First Chapter.

R2Dawg
04-10-2022, 07:30 AM
Helluva Compelling First Chapter.

Yeah my worst fear is that could happen, we just really don't know yet. It looks bad early on.

Some other things. When you win a NC you get some rope - that can be good and bad. Lemo does understand the game and I sense he is getting a little more involved. One game recently, I remember seeing hiim question Foxall as he came off the mound and you could read his lips - "you are taking him out right". Foxall wasn't until Lemo yelled that at him, then the change happened.

This season has been a huge disappointment but he will get some rope with a NC. The NC will be a distant memory after this year and the honeymoon will be over. Back to competing baseball expectations after this year or the seat will warm. This isn't Mizzou baseball.

AlSwearengen
04-10-2022, 07:43 AM
I saw that exchange with Foxhall as well and i think Lem can push the right buttons regarding in game coaching. My concern is personnel and evaluation. Yeager has been a God send but I dont understand J. Davis.

Coming off of the national championship, I was hoping to have more of an influx of difference making transfers.

StarkVegasSteve
04-10-2022, 09:37 AM
I saw that exchange with Foxhall as well and i think Lem can push the right buttons regarding in game coaching. My concern is personnel and evaluation. Yeager has been a God send but I dont understand J. Davis.

Coming off of the national championship, I was hoping to have more of an influx of difference making transfers.

Most did not understand Jess Davis when we got him. Knew he had a great glove but you looked at his games against P5 competition and his numbers were pretty bad. However, I refuse to believe there would be a drop off from McGowan or Corder to Davis. We have no offensive production out of the CF spot. So no clue why we dont just roll with Davis, who is probably the best glove of the 3.

msstate7
04-10-2022, 09:42 AM
Most did not understand Jess Davis when we got him. Knew he had a great glove but you looked at his games against P5 competition and his numbers were pretty bad. However, I refuse to believe there would be a drop off from McGowan or Corder to Davis. We have no offensive production out of the CF spot. So no clue why we dont just roll with Davis, who is probably the best glove of the 3.

I can live with going defense at cf and ss, but batting a light hitting cf at leadoff is dumb. We say we play by the analytics, but then we bat someone at leadoff just bc he's fast... that's dinosaur thinking.

PGHBulldogBG
04-10-2022, 10:00 AM
Let?s not forget Cohen also had a bad year or two. It can be tough to be consistent every year in college sports unless you are Nick Saban, Coach K, Meyer, or a select few . Corbin is probably the most consistent in baseball terms right now but even Vandy is down. Lemonis would need to have at least 2 or 3 bad years before we make that comparison. Coach O and Chizik just completely tanked. We probably have at least 2 more conference wins with Sims. Need to see how this year and next year play out.

StarkVegasSteve
04-10-2022, 10:06 AM
Let?s not forget Cohen also had a bad year or two. It can be tough to be consistent every year in college sports unless you are Nick Saban, Coach K, Meyer, or a select few . Corbin is probably the most consistent in baseball terms right now but even Vandy is down. Lemonis would need to have at least 2 or 3 bad years before we make that comparison. Coach O and Chizik just completely tanked. We probably have at least 2 more conference wins with Sims. Need to see how this year and next year play out.

And if he had the talent that Cohen had those first couple of years then you could understand. But he returned 6 of 9 starters and all have regressed. To me that is developmental and coaching. Next year will be Lemonis toughest coaching job he probably has ever had. We already lose at least 3 everyday starters, probably 4 to 5 and add in that we will have to completely retool the rotation and hope that Pico can continue to develop and someone steps up to take the last starting spot. Raid the portal and hope to hit on a couple of Gavin Collins/Reid Humphreys type recruits is our only chance at success next year.

FISHDAWG
04-10-2022, 10:26 AM
Even the New York Yankees can't sustain and have off years ... patience my brethren, we will be back

StarkVegasSteve
04-10-2022, 10:37 AM
Even the New York Yankees can't sustain and have off years ... patience my brethren, we will be back

No one is doubting we will be back eventually. Just almost shocking and frustrating how quickly the descent was. Obviously the injuries to Landon and Stone hastened that descent, but it is frustrating to see the regression from the team.

sleepy dawg
04-10-2022, 11:03 AM
I can live with going defense at cf and ss, but batting a light hitting cf at leadoff is dumb. We say we play by the analytics, but then we bat someone at leadoff just bc he's fast... that's dinosaur thinking.

I feel confident we are not building our lineups by any sort of advanced analytics. It's all feel.

ZedFedder
04-10-2022, 01:15 PM
We are also recruiting at a very high level, even higher than usual, after the championship. Also, we should have more depth to sustain it, but if you don’t lose Landon Sims we probably have 2 or 3 more wins right now.

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 01:20 PM
The man won us a title by doing things that were often questioned by many of us. Just ask Cooter...
He gets grace from me for quite some time.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2022, 02:05 PM
Losing Sims and Simmons for the season and hunt for an extended time changed the course of this season. We have all 3 of those all year we have 4-5 more wins and everyone's semi hapoy(maybe). Losing those pitchers changed the rotation and the pen. Lemonis is piecing it together right now with what's left, and he has us competitive with a depleted staff.He in no way shape or form is a chizik or an O. You cannot compare football to baseball. Every year ain't gonna be rainbows and unicorns.

KOdawg1
04-10-2022, 02:09 PM
I've been pretty negative about this season and I think it's pretty justified even with the injuries, but one thing that does give me confidence that Lemonis will get us rolling again is his recruiting. If you look at future classes, there are some straight up studs. Now, yeah we'll have to fight off MLB for some of them but that's just the way it is. But with the way he's going to recruit it'll be difficult to screw that up

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 02:46 PM
Lemonis will fire the assistants if it gets too out of hand. He's way more competent than Chizik as far as coaches go.

Too soon to talk about next year being bad or tough until we see what happens with the portal.

Hopefully he reviews our recruiting philosophy and we start going after more OBP type guys like Frazier and Tanner Allen.

CaptainObvious
04-10-2022, 02:49 PM
We are also recruiting at a very high level, even higher than usual, after the championship. Also, we should have more depth to sustain it, but if you don’t lose Landon Sims we probably have 2 or 3 more wins right now.

No we don?t. Sims was 0-2 against weak non-cons because he had the same guys not hitting then as we bo now. Maybe my stats I gave earlier are just boring to you. Maybe you didn?t read them. They are no my opinion. They were hard core facts about THIS team. 2-11, soon to be 2-12, when scoring 6 runs or less. Look around the league at some of the other games. Probably more double digit scoring by the winning team in the history of the league. Not only that but Freshmen are stepping up all over the league. Except at State of course. State is 3rd in the league in Home Runs. That must also mean State leads the league in Solo Homeruns. That is sweet to what but not very productive unless you are hitting 7 solo shots per game.

Cooterpoot
04-10-2022, 02:51 PM
It's silly to even discuss this.

Activated Alpha
04-10-2022, 02:57 PM
It's silly to even discuss this.

I agree. Even though Lemonis shoulders the catastrophe of this season, he gets a very long leash after last year. We can?t keep having a high turnover with baseball coaches. I believe he will turn it around

Mjoelner34
04-10-2022, 03:04 PM
Sims was 0-2 against weak non-cons because he had the same guys not hitting then as we bo now.

This! With a 100% healthy Sims we would be in the same shape we are now if we left him on Fridays. Losing 12-1 on Friday nights is no different than losing 2-1 which is what we would probably get with Sims.

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 03:40 PM
This! With a 100% healthy Sims we would be in the same shape we are now if we left him on Fridays. Losing 12-1 on Friday nights is no different than losing 2-1 which is what we would probably get with Sims.

Huh? We would have won this Friday because Simmons would have been closing out the game instead of fristoe. And then we would have had smith on Saturday's instead of Stinett.

Mjoelner34
04-10-2022, 03:52 PM
Huh? We would have won this Friday because Simmons would have been closing out the game instead of fristoe. And then we would have had smith on Saturday's instead of Stinett.

True. And, losing Sims was huge. But, he was only going to be a factor 1 game per week whereas our lack of clutch hitting is on display multiple times per week. That's why for the best way to maximize our chances for a series win, he should have moved to Saturdays with Smith on Sundays. Use Stinnett along with our other throwers and walkers against everyone's Friday ace who we are probably not going to touch anyway.

R2Dawg
04-10-2022, 03:56 PM
No one is doubting we will be back eventually. Just almost shocking and frustrating how quickly the descent was. Obviously the injuries to Landon and Stone hastened that descent, but it is frustrating to see the regression from the team.

This is the issue. Not that we are not going to host anymore or go to Omaha it is that we are the worst team in the SEC. After a NC, this should not happen to anyone with what we had returning.

Imagine Bama not even making a bowl after a NC?

And don't say we ain't Bama in baseball. We just finished a run that no NCAA baseball team has ever done in history - 3 straight CWS, 5 straight supers.

Saltydog
04-10-2022, 03:58 PM

I understood Davis perfectly well. I tried to warn everyone here. I have an "in" with UAB baseball and I was told we had a Willie Mays Hayes on our hands (runs like Mays, hits like shit) and that has held true. Worst part is, his defense hasn't been stellar either. Davis has been a wet fart.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 05:01 PM
I understood Davis perfectly well. I tried to warn everyone here. I have an "in" with UAB baseball and I was told we had a Willie Mays Hayes on our hands (runs like Mays, hits like shit) and that has held true. Worst part is, his defense hasn't been stellar either. Davis has been a wet fart.

He's better than what we've been putting on the field. And the offense for whatever reason seems to click better with him in the lineup. Probably because he's a less stinky fart than McGowan or Skinner.

StarkVegasSteve
04-10-2022, 05:04 PM
He's better than what we've been putting on the field. And the offense for whatever reason seems to click better with him in the lineup. Probably because he's a less stinky fart than McGowan or Skinner.

Our use of McGowan might be the most puzzling Lemonis decision of his tenure. Not really in a good or bad way. But the kid starts the first 6-8 games last year and then we don?t see him for over a year and he randomly shows up starting a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know if he has been injured or something of that nature?

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 05:06 PM
Our use of McGowan might be the most puzzling Lemonis decision of his tenure. Not really in a good or bad way. But the kid starts the first 6-8 games last year and then we don?t see him for over a year and he randomly shows up starting a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know if he has been injured or something of that nature?

Per Lemonis in an interview yesterday Davis is not injured. He's just trying to find the best matchups.

His words not mine before I get attacked on here. LOL.

OLJWales
04-10-2022, 06:13 PM

I wish Jess had changed his name to Jeff and signed with the Confederates. They'd of made him honorary team Captain day 1.

Schultzy
04-10-2022, 08:09 PM
If baseball recruiting begins at14 years of age we are just now feeling the affects of all these coaching changes. You can’t tell me Henderson was recruiting that age group well so we seem to be playing catch up in that regard.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-10-2022, 08:17 PM
If baseball recruiting begins at14 years of age we are just now feeling the affects of all these coaching changes. You can’t tell me Henderson was recruiting that age group well so we seem to be playing catch up in that regard.

Well, last year's class had better guys than this one- Cade Smith, Fristoe, Tepper, Clark, and Foresythe >>>> Hunt, Hines, and... Slate Alford? Yeah, Alford is the 3rd biggest contributor of the Fr class.

So, who is responsible for each of these Fr class? Are the current Sophomores Canns guys, or Henderson's?

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 08:33 PM

This makes no sense. It moves everyone up a slot of course it changes things. And sure sims couldn't win on Friday... right

Homedawg
04-10-2022, 08:35 PM
McGowan has been hurt until recently.

Skydawg1
04-10-2022, 08:42 PM
I wish Jess had changed his name to Jeff and signed with the Confederates. They'd of made him honorary team Captain day 1.🤣🤣

OLJWales
04-10-2022, 09:12 PM
Meanwhile Gary Henderson's 1st year as HC for the YUTES is going well for a program that's had 1 winning season in 10 years. Last year they went 13-33 and so far they are 18-13-1 and 5-7 in the Pac-10. They lost 1 & 2 run games then bounced back today against UCLA.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 09:29 PM
Well, last year's class had better guys than this one- Cade Smith, Fristoe, Tepper, Clark, and Foresythe >>>> Hunt, Hines, and... Slate Alford? Yeah, Alford is the 3rd biggest contributor of the Fr class.

So, who is responsible for each of these Fr class? Are the current Sophomores Canns guys, or Henderson's?

Aaron Downs has been hurt. He will be a good player. I think Bryce Chance will be good too- sort of like Cody Brown. Pico has been good and Walker and Cheatham have had their moments good and bad.

Meanwhile Gary Henderson's 1st year as HC for the YUTES is going well for a program that's had 1 winning season in 10 years. Last year they went 13-33 and so far they are 18-13-1 and 5-7 in the Pac-10. They lost 1 & 2 run games then bounced back today against UCLA.

He was not the answer. I appreciate what he did for us but no.

Mjoelner34
04-10-2022, 09:40 PM
This makes no sense. It moves everyone up a slot of course it changes things. And sure sims couldn't win on Friday... right

So you're saying we'd be 4-0 on Fridays while averaging 2.5 runs per game? LOL. Ok.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 09:49 PM
So you're saying we'd be 4-0 on Fridays while averaging 2.5 runs per game? LOL. Ok.

We probably win Friday with Sims. And Preston would still be in the bullpen which makes that group better. Losing pitchers to injury has a lot of effects.

OLJWales
04-10-2022, 09:52 PM
Aaron Downs has been hurt. He will be a good player. I think Bryce Chance will be good too- sort of like Cody Brown. Pico has been good and Walker and Cheatham have had their moments good and bad.

He was not the answer. I appreciate what he did for us but no.

Agreed. I just thought it was interesting .

R2Dawg
04-11-2022, 12:26 PM
We probably win Friday with Sims. And Preston would still be in the bullpen which makes that group better. Losing pitchers to injury has a lot of effects.

I agree the impact on losing Sims had a domino affect but last I remember Sims was 0-2 as a starter. Having Sims don't fix everything, it certainly helps.

Coach34
04-11-2022, 12:43 PM
Getting down early in games affects your mindset at the plate. Affects your morale. We would probably be 2-2 on Fridays with Sims- but could have gotten to 3-1 with a win over UPig with Sims shutting them down. We were overmatched vs Georgia on that Friday and would have lost regardless.

Homedawg
04-11-2022, 01:47 PM

No, what i'm saying is he's the best we have and would give us a shot and it pushes PJ to sat and saves arms. The fact I need to explain this to you to understand is amazing.