PDA

View Full Version : Pitching has been good last two days overall

basedog
04-09-2022, 09:02 PM
We lost Friday in last inning, today we lost in first inning. Brandon Smith was really good today. Maybe we need to shake up rotation next weekend.
I like everyone are just disappointed, backs against the wall now, we are iffy in even making Sec Tourney. Also I've seen some disappointing teams over the years but this is the most ever right now.

HoopsDawg
04-09-2022, 09:07 PM
We lost Friday in last inning, today we lost in first inning. Brandon Smith was really good today. Maybe we need to shake up rotation next weekend.
I like everyone are just disappointed, backs against the wall now, we are iffy in even making Sec Tourney. Also I've seen some disappointing teams over the years but this is the most ever right now.

Yeah, that's a positive to take away from the past 2 games.

Next weekend needs to be PJ-Cade-Brandon. I feel pretty good about those 3. I know that at the very least, those 3 guys will compete and usually compete in the zone. Then Hunt is back. Kohn looks pretty good. Then we have Auguer. That's 6 guys. Problem is, we need at least 2 more to step up. Stinnett is going to have to go back to the pen. Then maybe Tepper or Fristoe can pitch here and there.

basedog
04-09-2022, 09:14 PM

Next weekend needs to be PJ-Cade-Brandon. I feel pretty good about those 3. I know that at the very least, those 3 guys will compete and usually compete in the zone. Then Hunt is back. Kohn looks pretty good. Then we have Auguer. That's 6 guys. Problem is, we need at least 2 more to step up. Stinnett is going to have to go back to the pen. Then maybe Tepper or Fristoe can pitch here and there.

I agree, what I'm most surprised is lack of hitting overall. We have two guys barely over 300. That plus the lack of clutch hitting is as bad as it can possibly be.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 09:15 PM
I say go PJ-Cade-Stinnett. Keep Smith, Auger, Kohn in the pen and expect to use them up quickly, unless we are down early. Sunday? Sunday is whatever is left.

We do NOT have 3 games of pitching. And I worry that in the effort to find 3 games of it we'll either A) pull a guy that's doing good so we can use him again on Sunday, or 2) stretch a guy too long tryng to save everyone else.

So I say go all in with the good arms, and then let Sunday be the day we let the rest of the arms have a chance to prove something. If Stinnett goes 6 great! If he does .2 innings? Let's see what Tepper or Fristoe can do.

HoopsDawg
04-09-2022, 09:21 PM
I agree, what I'm most surprised is lack of hitting overall. We have two guys barely over 300. That plus the lack of clutch hitting is as bad as it can possibly be.

Got stick with a guy like Hines. I know he has been struggling, but you can't put Seibert in there early like we did today. Need to just settle on a batting order, SS, and CF. Can't keep switching every game. I would just roll with Jess Davis the rest of the way in CF and put him in the 8 hole. I would probably roll with Leggett at SS in the 9 hole. There's no getting around 8-9 hole. 1-7 has to do better and sometimes just do a job.

basedog
04-09-2022, 09:31 PM
I’d go with Hines as well. Yeager leading off is our best option. I’m just unsure about who to play in centerfield.

I hate to look ahead BUT we have to win Sunday and two next weekend to just get in the Sec Tourney. Seems players and fans lack confidence right now which is understandable.

HoopsDawg
04-09-2022, 09:33 PM
I’d go with Hines as well. Yeager leading off is our best option. I’m just unsure about who to play in centerfield.

I hate to look ahead BUT we have to win Sunday and two next weekend to just get in the Sec Tourney. Seems players and fans lack confidence right now which is understandable.

I still feel like there is a good team in us somewhere. but have to get it going soon. Tomorrow is a must win game.

HoopsDawg
04-09-2022, 09:33 PM
I say go PJ-Cade-Stinnett. Keep Smith, Auger, Kohn in the pen and expect to use them up quickly, unless we are down early. Sunday? Sunday is whatever is left.

We do NOT have 3 games of pitching. And I worry that in the effort to find 3 games of it we'll either A) pull a guy that's doing good so we can use him again on Sunday, or 2) stretch a guy too long tryng to save everyone else.

So I say go all in with the good arms, and then let Sunday be the day we let the rest of the arms have a chance to prove something. If Stinnett goes 6 great! If he does .2 innings? Let's see what Tepper or Fristoe can do.

No sir. Stinnett has lost his starting privilages. We've got to get 18 innings from our starters and piece together the other 9.

basedog
04-09-2022, 09:37 PM
It’s a no for me as well on Stinnett. I’d go with Brandon Smith in the rotation.

I would move Cade to Saturday.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 09:41 PM
Hines is 1 for his last 27
His last 6 SEC games he is 0-21 with 12 K's

He needed to sit today.

The kid has talent and will be an outstanding hitter. But he needs a break and has to realize trying to jerk everything in the SEC is not a successful strategy.

Cooterpoot
04-09-2022, 09:41 PM
Smith gives up bombs every time he pitches. But he throws strikes and competes.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 09:43 PM
It’s a no for me as well on Stinnett. I’d go with Brandon Smith in the rotation.

Stinnett wouldnt even be on the SEC Roster for me next weekend. I'll let you pitch midweek and be the batboy on the weekend. He is so mentally weak he has to be French

Coach34
04-09-2022, 09:44 PM
Smith gives up bombs every time he pitches. But he throws strikes and competes.

8 1/3 IP's in relief for us today- 1 run. And we lost

HoopsDawg
04-09-2022, 09:56 PM

He needed to sit today.

The kid has talent and will be an outstanding hitter. But he needs a break and has to realize trying to jerk everything in the SEC is not a successful strategy.

Who cares. Siebert went 0-3 with 3 K's and was a .230 Juco hitter. I'll take my chances that Hines might run into one on those extra 3 AB's.

Homedawg
04-09-2022, 10:03 PM

Problem is that we move it a day up. I can see moving Brandon for stinett. But when you do that you've made stinett completely impossible to use him. He's like fristoe, needs clean inning and still scary

StarkVegasSteve
04-09-2022, 10:06 PM
Stinnett is a head case, Fristoe is a head case. Nothing has changed from 6 weeks ago. We keep those two and Tullar out of ballgames and we have 5-6 more wins. Our coaches may eventually figure that out, although I am starting to get less and less confident in that.

Homedawg
04-09-2022, 10:08 PM
Got stick with a guy like Hines. I know he has been struggling, but you can't put Seibert in there early like we did today. Need to just settle on a batting order, SS, and CF. Can't keep switching every game. I would just roll with Jess Davis the rest of the way in CF and put him in the 8 hole. I would probably roll with Leggett at SS in the 9 hole. There's no getting around 8-9 hole. 1-7 has to do better and sometimes just do a job.

I don't care what we do in cf. they are all the same guy. I'm a Forsythe guy at ss. Better defense. Same offense except Legget hits hrs against ark Little Rock.

Homedawg
04-09-2022, 10:09 PM

I like this. Problem is we can't do it next week. Two weeks from now we can.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 10:27 PM
Stinnett is a head case, Fristoe is a head case. Nothing has changed from 6 weeks ago. We keep those two and Tullar out of ballgames and we have 5-6 more wins. Our coaches may eventually figure that out, although I am starting to get less and less confident in that.

Stinnett and Fristoe and Tepper are at least CAPABLE of giving good innings. The real crime against coaching this season has been the fact that, until today, Cam Tullar and his 89 mph meatball fastball, 12 ERA, .300+ opponent BA, and inability to command was considered the #1 lefty over Pico Kohn. Like, WTF? Lefty that throws 93 with sharp curve and good enough comant to not walk people >>>> Lefty that throws 89 and can't put it over the plate. Tullar has looked like a SWAC pitcher all year, I'm not cherry picking games. Yet only now the coaches put Kohn ahead of Tullar. Unreal

Coach34
04-09-2022, 10:31 PM
Siebert went 0-3 with 3 K's and was a .230 Juco hitter.

If Siebert was a .230 juco hitter and is on our team then Lemon needs to be fired. Where can you show me he hit .230 in juco?

and for clarification- Siebert struck out twice and grounded out once.

He was no better than Hines- but Hines has been ridiculous the last 6 SEC games. Very Overmatched

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 10:33 PM

That would give us 3 good starters. What happens when we pull the starter though? Say PJ goes 6 on Friday. Kohn comes in and throws 2. Who's closing? Say Cade goes 5 the next day. Who comes in for 3-4 innings to finish? I think we need Brandon Smith available those 2 nights or we'll blow any lead the quality starts give us.

We dod not have 27 innings of pitching. I propose stacking what we do have for games 1 and 2 and praying we get a good day from Stinnett/Fristoe/whoever on Sunday and steal that game. I feel that's sadly our best odds to win 2/3.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 10:38 PM
If Siebert was a .230 juco hitter and is on our team then Lemon needs to be fired. Where can you show me he hit .230 in juco?

and for clarification- Siebert struck out twice and grounded out once.

He was no better than Hines- but Hines has been ridiculous the last 6 SEC games. Very Overmatched

FOund it! https://www.prccathletics.com/sports/bsb/2020-21/teams/pearlrivercommunitycollege?view=lineup&r=0&pos=

He hit .245 with a .400 OBP and .600 SLUG. LOL I can't believe we signed this kid

Cooterpoot
04-09-2022, 10:39 PM

That one, a bomb. Midweek, also a bomb. Last year, bombs. But he's better than Stinnett who wasn't even a great Juco pitcher.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 10:48 PM
FOund it! https://www.prccathletics.com/sports/bsb/2020-21/teams/pearlrivercommunitycollege?view=lineup&r=0&pos=

He hit .245 with a .400 OBP and .600 SLUG. LOL I can't believe we signed this kid

Wow. I was better in juco. WTF? Hey folks- this is what we are signing

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 10:49 PM
That one, a bomb. Midweek, also a bomb. Last year, bombs. But he's better than Stinnett who wasn't even a great Juco pitcher.

Dude he pitched what, 6.2 innings today and have up 1 run. I don't care if it was a longest HR is history- it was 1 run. We don't have the luxury of holding past history against pitchers- if you can perform today, you get a bigger role tomorrow. We are desperate to find competent arms and Smith looked more than that today vs a lineup of like 7 guys hitting .310+

Coach34
04-09-2022, 10:53 PM

So? He is a solid pitcher that eats innings. Very valuable

parabrave
04-09-2022, 10:54 PM

Clutch hitting is a huge problem and it will continue to be. I'm glad Yeager is in the leadoff cause he will get on base. But Cumbust needs to get his ass in gear cause going 0fer last week and 2-7 so far this week sucks. Killing it against a non SEC directional school is useless. Please move HH back to 7th or 8th because ever since he was moved up he has gone 0fer also. Sometimes younger players are not ready to hit cleanup.

HoopsDawg
04-09-2022, 10:59 PM
I don't care what we do in cf. they are all the same guy. I'm a Forsythe guy at ss. Better defense. Same offense except Legget hits hrs against ark Little Rock.

Sad thing is, we could move Cumbest to CF and be fine defensively but it doesn't open a spot for anyone so there is no point. In other words, Lemonis and staff didn't go and sign 1 hitter that was ready to play any position in the OF. That is unacceptable.

Jess Davis is no different than McGowan, Skinner, or Corder. And that wasn't hard to see based on career stats.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 11:04 PM
.Jess Davis is no different than McGowan, Skinner, or Corder. And that wasn't hard to see based on career stats.

I know. What the decision in recruiting was here is baffling. Makes no sense

State82
04-09-2022, 11:48 PM

Yeah. Let that sink in.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 12:54 AM

He needed to sit today.

Let's be honest- it's not just him trying to do this on our team. The message probably needs to be directed at our hitting coach.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 12:56 AM

Yeah. He's not a SEC talent. And really makes even less sense because we really didn't need another power hitting corner OF.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 12:58 AM
That would give us 3 good starters. What happens when we pull the starter though? Say PJ goes 6 on Friday. Kohn comes in and throws 2. Who's closing? Say Cade goes 5 the next day. Who comes in for 3-4 innings to finish? I think we need Brandon Smith available those 2 nights or we'll blow any lead the quality starts give us.

We dod not have 27 innings of pitching. I propose stacking what we do have for games 1 and 2 and praying we get a good day from Stinnett/Fristoe/whoever on Sunday and steal that game. I feel that's sadly our best odds to win 2/3.

Hunt may end up being the closer. I would give Fristoe another chance. He has been more good than bad lately. We need to see what Tepper can do as well. Auger has been good for the most part as well.

ImissCityBagel
04-10-2022, 01:01 AM
Pitching has been good enough to win the series vs either Arky, GA, or LSU, IMO.
Out of those three, only Arky really played spectacularly.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 01:04 AM

Stinnett needs to stop pitching period. He's awful. Except for one week in his life.

Preston- Friday with KC finishing the game off. Hunt will increase his workload as the weeks go by. Should be able to go three innings by next weekend or pretty close to it. I'd be fine bringing in Auger for 2 and then Hunt for one if it means we can use Hunt twice in a weekend.

Cade Sat- He typically will give us 6-7 innings. Could go Tepper, Auger, Fristoe after him depending on game situation and bullpen usage

Sun- Brandon Smith. Could go Pico and then back to Hunt.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 01:15 AM
Problem is that we move it a day up. I can see moving Brandon for stinett. But when you do that you've made stinett completely impossible to use him. He's like fristoe, needs clean inning and still scary

What's the problem here again?

BayouDawg
04-10-2022, 01:58 AM
Let's be honest- it's not just him trying to do this on our team. The message probably needs to be directed at our hitting coach.

Bingo

R2Dawg
04-10-2022, 07:32 AM

Agree, I almost posted at end of Friday night game right before the meltdown how good pitching had been in game 1. We gave up 2 hits and 1 run until the 2 out disaster.

R2Dawg
04-10-2022, 07:39 AM

Agree total mismanagement of pitching all year. Stinnet and Fristoe are same as last year, how much do they need to see? Manage some of our pitching better and the year looks and feels totally different.

Cooterpoot
04-10-2022, 08:49 AM
So? He is a solid pitcher that eats innings. Very valuable

Yes, because he competes. He may make a mistake, but he doesn't fold.

Cooterpoot
04-10-2022, 08:53 AM
Dude he pitched what, 6.2 innings today and have up 1 run. I don't care if it was a longest HR is history- it was 1 run. We don't have the luxury of holding past history against pitchers- if you can perform today, you get a bigger role tomorrow. We are desperate to find competent arms and Smith looked more than that today vs a lineup of like 7 guys hitting .310+

I think you misunderstood or I misstated my point. I'm for throwing him, not against. Just was trying to say he's always going to give up a bomb, but he's going to compete.

sleepy dawg
04-10-2022, 11:22 AM

And that was his sophomore year. His freshman year he didn't play much, but was much worse. His career JUCO was
Average: .241
OBP: .403
Slug: .586
Fielding %: .973

msstate7
04-10-2022, 12:55 PM
And that was his sophomore year. His freshman year he didn't play much, but was much worse. His career JUCO was
Average: .241
OBP: .403
Slug: .586
Fielding %: .973

Man, is this an isolated case of our staff being stupid or are there more? If there's more, this season makes more sense

BayouDawg
04-10-2022, 01:31 PM
Yeah. He's not a SEC talent. And really makes even less sense because we really didn't need another power hitting corner OF.

And it seems like hes one of the first guys to go to off the bench. I dont understand it.

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 01:42 PM
I know. What the decision in recruiting was here is baffling. Makes no sense

Yes there was a thread started on here when we signed him and it got pretty heated because a bunch of us didn't like it.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 05:03 PM
And it seems like hes one of the first guys to go to off the bench. I dont understand it.

You got me. Leggett should be the first guy if he's not starting.