Foreskin
Leggs
Yeager
Meche
Skinner
Davis
McGowan
Corder

1 SEC caliber player out of 8 guys. A transfer at that. That?s on the coaching staff

Leeshouldveflanked
04-09-2022, 05:44 PM
The talent will be even worse next year.

calidawg
04-09-2022, 05:45 PM
Had fairly low expectations expecting a hangover year but did not think it would be this bad.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-09-2022, 05:47 PM
Elite programs dont have low hangover expectations. MSU baseball is not elite. We are the third best baseball program in Mississippi this year.

Tripp McNeely
04-09-2022, 06:00 PM
Elite programs dont have low hangover expectations. MSU baseball is not elite. We are the third best baseball program in Mississippi this year.

Bro, we won a Natty about 10 months ago...that is literally the definition of elite. This year is a hiccup

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 06:00 PM
Our roster in the middle:

Foreskin
Leggs
Yeager
Meche
Skinner
Davis
McGowan
Corder

1 SEC caliber player out of 8 guys. A transfer at that. That?s on the coaching staff

Thank you, I knew it was bad but was too lazy to look at the position players.

You can do the same thing for pitchers... Walling is MIA, not even throwing in midweeks when the game is decided. Why sign a transfer if he's so bad we don't even give him a chance to improve? Walker is 5'11" and I've seen him throw in 2 appearances and he both sucked and didn't crack 90 either time. That's not an SEC arm. I don't think any other Fr have thrown for us.

We are the worst team in the conference and have dealt with injuries... yet the Fr can't see the field. They are either very bad, or Lemones is bad and this is another "trot Tullar out there to get shelled again as Kohn rides the bench" poor evaluation thing.

Yeah that's another point- if Lemo and Fox GENUINELY believed Tullar was a better lefty matchup guy than Kohn, AND then they held that view for weeks as Tullar looked awful every time he went out there, how the hell can we trust them to evaluate HS film? They can't evaluate LHP they see every day in practice and only now admit they were wrong.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-09-2022, 06:13 PM
Bro, we won a Natty about 10 months ago...that is literally the definition of elite. This year is a hiccup

Coastal Carolina won a Natty not too long ago. Is Coastal Carolina elite? Next year will most likely be worse from a talent standpoint.

msstate7
04-09-2022, 06:16 PM
Guys that know more about college baseball than me are excusing lemonis for this, but I don't know. Vitello killed it in year 4 and he's even better in year 5. He didnt need 7 years

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 06:28 PM
Guys that know more about college baseball than me are excusing lemonis for this, but I don't know. Vitello killed it in year 4 and he's even better in year 5. He didnt need 7 years

Lets look at the best hitters on the team:

James, Cumbest, Hancock, Hines, Yeager, Clark, and... honestly, everyone else sucks at the plate. They just do.

Now, of those 6 hitters, who are here BECAUSE of Lemo? Yeager is 1... which coach did Hines commit to? I can't remember.

Point is, Lemo didn't build the good teams his first 2 years, and as the former guys leave he has not filled that void.

I just... I don't know man, how can we see the guys lemo signed fail to fill the shoes of who Lemos predecessors brought in and not worry? I mean he knew we needed a CF, and he gets Jess Davis? What does that say?

Our incoming class (Fr and JuCo and Portal) probably contributes less than the new guys on any ther SEC team. Really though, Kohn is the only pitcher, and Heins the only batter, Yeager the only fielder. Even on a really good team last year, we had like 6 newcomers make an impact... Dubrule, Skinner, Cade Smith, Foresythe, Stinnett, Clark...

KOdawg1
04-09-2022, 06:42 PM
We in trouble

Coach34
04-09-2022, 06:54 PM
Tennessee's Saturday guy is a portal guy from Georgia Southern. Just have to really question the recruiting and evals in baseball right now

HaggardDawg
04-09-2022, 07:00 PM
This team is the type team that needs an intense bastard in the dugout. I get major primadona vibes from this group.

parabrave
04-09-2022, 07:19 PM
Lets look at the best hitters on the team:

James, Cumbest, Hancock, Hines, Yeager, Clark, and... honestly, everyone else sucks at the plate. They just do.

Now, of those 6 hitters, who are here BECAUSE of Lemo? Yeager is 1... which coach did Hines commit to? I can't remember.

Point is, Lemo didn't build the good teams his first 2 years, and as the former guys leave he has not filled that void.

I just... I don't know man, how can we see the guys lemo signed fail to fill the shoes of who Lemos predecessors brought in and not worry? I mean he knew we needed a CF, and he gets Jess Davis? What does that say?

Our incoming class (Fr and JuCo and Portal) probably contributes less than the new guys on any ther SEC team. Really though, Kohn is the only pitcher, and Heins the only batter, Yeager the only fielder. Even on a really good team last year, we had like 6 newcomers make an impact... Dubrule, Skinner, Cade Smith, Foresythe, Stinnett, Clark...

Cumbust is so Hot and Cold its maddening. Like I posted in an earlier thread there is no one that you can count on to get a hit when we need one.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 07:51 PM
Cumbust is so Hot and Cold its maddening. Like I posted in an earlier thread there is no one that you can count on to get a hit when we need one.

Cumbest is so damn ugly at the plate but is a career .300 hitter.

magrooder
04-09-2022, 07:54 PM

One of the biggest problems with our guys that can hit is they are always trying for the homer instead of trying to produce base runners and advance the runners on base. All or nothing will not produce consistency at the plate.

ImissCityBagel
04-09-2022, 07:56 PM
2 runs and then 3 runs at home is embarrassing. also we are drunk af here. lSu sucks

confucius say
04-09-2022, 08:00 PM
Cumbest is so damn ugly at the plate but is a career .300 hitter.

True. I would love to see his career average vs sec pitching

confucius say
04-09-2022, 08:02 PM
One of the biggest problems with our guys that can hit is they are always trying for the homer instead of trying to produce base runners and advance the runners on base. All or nothing will not produce consistency at the plate.

Zero situational awareness at the plate.
Some of it is lack of talent, but alot of it is selfishness. We are taking massive swings with runners on third and less than two outs. Everybody is HR drunk and meanwhile we're hitting .270

Coach34
04-09-2022, 08:06 PM

2022- 12/44 .273
2021- 11/41 .268

Overall- 23/85 .271

R2Dawg
04-09-2022, 08:07 PM
Coastal Carolina won a Natty not too long ago. Is Coastal Carolina elite? Next year will most likely be worse from a talent standpoint.

We are an elite program (don't look like it right now). We set a record 3 straight CWS and 5 straight supers. No one else has ever done that. We ain't a flash in the pan.

This year is a bad year for many reasons.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 08:14 PM

He's hitting .272 in SEC only play. I don't know the stats for everyone else, but since stats drop in SEC play it's safe to say Cumbest is still not even remotely in the bottom half of our starting hitters

Tripp McNeely
04-09-2022, 08:16 PM
None of these guys, at least the ones that are contributing, are his recruits. The guys in the 22 class (and beyond) that are actually Lemonis recruits are ridiculous. We're gonna be a perennial top 10 program

Coach34
04-09-2022, 08:22 PM
None of these guys, at least the ones that are contributing, are his recruits. The guys in the 22 class (and beyond) that are actually Lemonis recruits are ridiculous. We're gonna be a perennial top 10 program

Davis
Walling
Yeagerbomb
Skinner
Hines
Pico de Gallo
Siebert
Corder

They are his recruits.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-09-2022, 08:30 PM
Quick downgrade from a softball lineup of sluggers.

StarkVegasSteve
04-09-2022, 08:39 PM
I can make this really simple. We will not be good this year and we may be worse next year. I have been hesitant to compare this team to 2015 but it is time. And unless we find a Nate Lowe, Jack Kruger, John Holland, and another Jake Mangum falls out of the sky next year will be much worse. Not time to fire up the coaching hot board just yet..but we are pretty close to it.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 08:41 PM
That Natty gave Lemon at least 3 more seasons. Probably 4

BayouDawg
04-09-2022, 08:55 PM
Well. This is depressing

StarkVegasSteve
04-09-2022, 08:55 PM

If this was basketball or football I might agree with you but Cohen will not let baseball suck any more than two consecutive years. Lemonis has already used up all the national championship goodwill. You better believe he will be on the hot seat entering next year.

The Federalist Engineer
04-09-2022, 09:01 PM

You really don't know much about baseball recruiting until after the draft. Kids that look too good to be true, have no MSU ties, and/or come from another national region usually never show. But you can have local kids that take off as MLB prospects, Austin Riley comes to mind.

JCs have another dynamic, if they ain't local, they are huge wild cards. Seems coaches actually watch the local guys play. MSU has sourced guys like Pirtle and MacNamamee from TX JUCOs. But Gunnar Halter and Andrew Walling are more typical.

Personally, I don't see that Lemonis has changed anything in recruiting. MSU has always recruited well in Mississippi, that's Hunter Hines and Kellum Clark. Getting good Mississippians is business as usual. Still not recruiting Arkansas, let Tygart sign as a Hog. Losing ground in Memphis, where Rooker, Small, and Maholm were from. Used to take big players from Alabama (Graveman, Focue, Rowdey, Allen). Used to pull guys from Florida (Raffo, Shave, Paps, Dubose) still pulling fake commitments from IMG fakers.

Major Red Flags for me:

No Tennessee kids in 2022 or 2023
Still nothing from Louisiana
One player from Alabama
Not much penetration into Georgia, just a fake commit
One ok rated Floridian

I would love to be wrong about this and will drink to it. But I have been watching this rodeo for a few years

Tripp McNeely
04-09-2022, 09:05 PM
Davis
Walling
Yeagerbomb
Skinner
Hines
Pico de Gallo
Siebert
Corder

They are his recruits.

Half of those guys listed are great players though! And the rest are transfers that he's hoping fill the voids left by Cohen/Canns lack of recruiting efforts

Tripp McNeely
04-09-2022, 09:08 PM
It's the Lotans, Hancock's, Cumbest's on this roster not coming up with big hits, when it matters, that are killing us!

EdwardDrayton
04-09-2022, 09:09 PM
Had fairly low expectations expecting a hangover year but did not think it would be this bad.

Maybe not low expectations but certainly lower than another NC simply because of the talent that departed. And think that?s what we?re all struggling with, that we?re performing at an even lower level than we expected.

EdwardDrayton
04-09-2022, 09:14 PM

There is no doubt we are an elite program. Just because an elite program suddenly loses an inordinate amount of talent and therefore has lowered expectations for a season doesn?t change their history and their status.

Dawg2003
04-09-2022, 09:15 PM
This team is the type team that needs an intense bastard in the dugout. I get major primadona vibes from this group.

I thought that too. Our last few teams have had self-motivated players. Lemonis needs to figure out a different way to coach these players.

ImissCityBagel
04-09-2022, 09:16 PM
I'm in Starkville and these LSU fans have no respect for us......we are an automatic win for them at the Dude. They are calling it the "New Box"

Coach34
04-09-2022, 09:22 PM
If this was basketball or football I might agree with you but Cohen will not let baseball suck any more than two consecutive years. Lemonis has already used up all the national championship goodwill. You better believe he will be on the hot seat entering next year.

Totally disagree. Gonna be hard to get a coach if we fire a dude 2 seasons off a Natty that has been to 2 CWS. Especially in baseball where the recruiting is different on HS kids. That would be worse than what LSU did to Smoke.

Lemon will be our coach in 2024 no matter what happens in 2023

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 09:23 PM
It's the Lotans, Hancock's, Cumbest's on this roster not coming up with big hits, when it matters, that are killing us!

Fair enough, those are the vets.

I'd say that it's the Lotans, Hancock's, and Cumbests on this roster that haven't gotten any better year to year under Lemo's coaching.... really though, how do you separate who is responsible for a player not stepping up? I mean, none of them are stepping up in big moments. Are they all failing individually, or has an individual failed them?

The Federalist Engineer
04-09-2022, 09:28 PM
Totally disagree. Gonna be hard to get a coach if we fire a dude 2 seasons off a Natty that has been to 2 CWS. Especially in baseball where the recruiting is different on HS kids. That would be worse than what LSU did to Smoke.

How about MSU keeps Lemonis to actually coach and win games. But Cohen and Cannizarro scout and recruit the players.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 09:29 PM
Fair enough, those are the vets.

I'd say that it's the Lotans, Hancock's, and Cumbests on this roster that haven't gotten any better year to year under Lemo's coaching.... really though, how do you separate who is responsible for a player not stepping up? I mean, none of them are stepping up in big moments. Are they all failing individually, or has an individual failed them?

Tanner is a top 50 draft pick- I'll give you he has underperformed. He is battling Leggs to see who hits more HR's
Hancock is just a solid college player. He is not a big talent. He is role player unfortunately batting 3-hole for us
Cumbest was a project playing 2 sports who is no focusing on baseball. All he is doing is hitting .300 and playing hard. He is what he is
James finally started playing up to his ability.
Yeager can play
Clark is giving us solid play as a RF'er and hitter

Our problems offensively?

Hines has started to see what SEC pitching is about
We get almost nothing from CF and SS

Thats the problem

CaptainObvious
04-09-2022, 09:30 PM

Well that would be sooo Mississippi State. Win our first Natty as a program, then miss the NCAA tourney 3 straight years afterwards before we figure out the Natty might been won by the previous guy?s recruiting.

EdwardDrayton
04-09-2022, 09:31 PM
I'm in Starkville and these LSU fans have no respect for us......we are an automatic win for them at the Dude. They are calling it the "New Box"

Guess they need some feels somewhere. Cuz it sure hasn’t been in Omaha lately.

Coach34
04-09-2022, 09:32 PM
How about MSU keeps Lemonis to actually coach and win games. But Cohen and Cannizarro scout and recruit the players.

Based on decisions I've seen this season- I'd take Cann back in a heartbeat

StarkVegasSteve
04-09-2022, 09:56 PM

There is a coach sitting in South Bend, IN that would take our job tomorrow if offered. And I will leave no ambiguity that it is Link Jarrett.

confucius say
04-09-2022, 10:05 PM
2022- 12/44 .273
2021- 11/41 .268

Overall- 23/85 .271

About what I'd guess.

The Federalist Engineer
04-09-2022, 10:07 PM
Well that would be sooo Mississippi State. Win our first Natty as a program, then miss the NCAA tourney 3 straight years afterwards before we figure out the Natty might been won by the previous guy?s recruiting.

If Goethe's Mephistopheles had offered the Entire ED board the 2021 title but a shitty twist for 3 years, we probably take the deal.

Just like Faust, we take the deal.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2022, 10:19 PM
Based on decisions I've seen this season- I'd take Cann back in a heartbeat

I'm inclined to agree. Dude built so much energy, and how he managed to win as many games as he did with that abomination of a pitching staff was a heck of a coaching job. He did destroy the arms of Self and Price doing it though, but what else can you do? lose more and miss the regional?

The Federalist Engineer
04-09-2022, 10:28 PM
I'm inclined to agree. Dude built so much energy, and how he managed to win as many games as he did with that abomination of a pitching staff was a heck of a coaching job. He did destroy the arms of Self and Price doing it though, but what else can you do? lose more and miss the regional?

Self pitched 48 innings in 31 appearances, not a huge load. Holder and Caleb Reed did that multiple years.

Price pitched 31 innings

The only wrecked pitcher was Jake Mangum, punching a wall

Coach34
04-09-2022, 10:43 PM
There is a coach sitting in South Bend, IN that would take our job tomorrow if offered. And I will leave no ambiguity that it is Link Jarrett.

Mississippi fans really think Dan McDonnell would still take their job too. Doesnt make it so.

ImissCityBagel
04-09-2022, 10:53 PM
If Goethe's Mephistopheles had offered the Entire ED board the 2021 title but a shitty twist for 3 years, we probably take the deal.

+1 for Goethe

ImissCityBagel
04-10-2022, 12:48 AM
Guess they need some feels somewhere. Cuz it sure hasn’t been in Omaha lately.

yeah these dudes are cringe

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 01:13 AM

Cohen is a valuable resource where he is for baseball- almost like a GM in some ways. We need someone on staff with scouting ties like Cann. Because much like football we can't talk to them in person if they are off the field staff.

Maybe we could get creative and hire a MLB "part time" on the side to work for us off the field though. There are definitely MLB scouts that went to MSU and they don't make a ton. If we paid them a reasonable sum I could see one of them giving us insider info for the right price.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 01:19 AM

Who said anything about seven years? We can and will hit the transfer portal pretty hard most likely.

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 01:22 AM
I can make this really simple. We will not be good this year and we may be worse next year. I have been hesitant to compare this team to 2015 but it is time. And unless we find a Nate Lowe, Jack Kruger, John Holland, and another Jake Mangum falls out of the sky next year will be much worse. Not time to fire up the coaching hot board just yet..but we are pretty close to it.

1. It's impossible to know whether we are going to be worse or not because I'm pretty sure we're about to hit the portal pretty hard.

2. Lemonis won't be on the hot seat- but Foxhall and Gautreau probably will be. Cohen is not going to fire a coach for one bad season when he had three of the worst seasons in MSU history himself. On top of that Lemonis will try new assistants before hi m being fires is even in the discussion.

99jc
04-10-2022, 07:42 AM
I tried to tell everyone we would not make a tourney, but sunshine pumpers are everywhere....Foreskin needs to be circumcised out of the lineup he absolutely sucks at batting.

Pinto
04-10-2022, 08:09 AM
Said it in another thread and saying it here. We are only getting worse. Scouts are saying we are only signing one sec caliber player in an upcoming class. Lemo can?t evaluate or develop talent. We are in trouble unless we get some help scouting. Some HS coaches are even putting stats under different kids names so we keep recruiting their guys. Our program needs to be double checking everything and see players several times with their own eyes.

msstate7
04-10-2022, 08:25 AM
Who said anything about seven years? We can and will hit the transfer portal pretty hard most likely.

Just a frustrated exaggeration

msstate7
04-10-2022, 08:27 AM
Said it in another thread and saying it here. We are only getting worse. Scouts are saying we are only signing one sec caliber player in an upcoming class. Lemo can?t evaluate or develop talent. We are in trouble unless we get some help scouting. Some HS coaches are even putting stats under different kids names so we keep recruiting their guys. Our program needs to be double checking everything and see players several times with their own eyes.

Surely we aren't recruiting players based solely on stat sheets

TNDawg35
04-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Surely we aren't recruiting players based solely on stat sheets

We aren’t. This dude has no clue what he is talking about. However I’m sure that does happen with high school coaches.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-10-2022, 09:05 AM

How can our classes be ranked top 10 but only contain 1 SEC player?

EdwardDrayton
04-10-2022, 10:11 AM

And should be our coach IMHO. But we can still be very dissatisfied with our current performance and ask the hard questions.

EdwardDrayton
04-10-2022, 10:17 AM

Offered and taken. Next stop: Robert Johnson and the Mississippi Delta crossroads. :)

OLJWales
04-10-2022, 10:33 AM
Offered and taken. Next stop: Robert Johnson and the Mississippi Delta crossroads. :)

Awesome & very well PLAYED.

tcdog70
04-10-2022, 11:28 AM
We have no alpha dog—No Rooker-No Jake-No Rowdy-No Tanner. We always have an alpha dog— but not this year. Nobody wants to be the MAN at bat with ducks on the pond. Nobody wants the ball on the mound in the ninth. Without them we are at best middle of the pack in the SEC. 15 17ing Ks yesterday—that is just pitiful.

parabrave
04-10-2022, 12:35 PM
We have no alpha dog—No Rooker-No Jake-No Rowdy-No Tanner. We always have an alpha dog— but not this year. Nobody wants to be the MAN at bat with ducks on the pond. Nobody wants the ball on the mound in the ninth. Without them we are at best middle of the pack in the SEC. 15 17ing Ks yesterday—that is just pitiful.

Yep so True.

TopDawg
04-10-2022, 05:46 PM

Actuaally, the mighty Rebelsharks have the same SEC record as us 4-8, and overall they've won 19 and we've won 18. This is according to D1 Baseball.com.

Cowbell
04-10-2022, 09:07 PM
Did Vitello win a natty that I cant remember? because we have a guy that did it in two years and is yet to miss the CWS with us. At a program that has never won it ever before....if you want to accurately compare....

Todd4State
04-10-2022, 09:36 PM
Did Vitello win a natty that I cant remember? because we have a guy that did it in two years and is yet to miss the CWS with us. At a program that has never won it ever before....if you want to accurately compare....

His pitching coach has. At Texas.

I would be all for keeping Lemonis and getting their pitching coach right now.

tcdog70
04-12-2022, 10:20 AM
His pitching coach has. At Texas.

I would be all for keeping Lemonis and getting their pitching coach right now.

do you think Fox might look a little better if He had Stone and Sims-with KC being 100%.