PDA

View Full Version : So MSU athletic department is paying athletes...

HoopsDawg
04-06-2022, 06:52 PM
I don't feel like researching this so I will just ask the board, are we playing every football player $6,000 cash if they meet certain requirements? And what are these requirements? I hope we set the bar pretty low.

Cooterpoot
04-06-2022, 06:59 PM
Baseball only from my understanding.

OLJWales
04-06-2022, 07:04 PM

Dat seems to have worked well.

BrunswickDawg
04-06-2022, 07:08 PM

Not what the university release says - awarded $1m to athletes with average award $3200

Cooterpoot
04-06-2022, 07:20 PM
Not what the university release says - awarded $1m to athletes with average award $3200

My bad, confused it with the baseball deal. This is the academic money. We just started the academic money this year (2022).

HoopsDawg
04-06-2022, 07:42 PM
So I read the Joel Coleman article since ya'll aren't any help.

MSU can provide up to $5,980 per year to each student athlete. The SEC has given all member schools the ability to award this money at their discretion.

The "requirements" are pretty vague. Eligibilty (almost everyone is eligible right), retention (huh?), community service (nothing specific), and academic accolades (such as being on the SEC honor roll). It's not clear if all of these criteria have to be met and to what extent. Also, Brackey Brett is quoted in the article so he's involved in some way.

It's not clear if a football player has to meet all of those qualifications to receive the full award or if the award is truly at MSU's discretion. I don't know what kind of legal issues are involved. Such as giving a football player with a 3.0 the full amount whereas a female soccer player with a better GPA only gets half. The article didn't go into very many details-maybe that was intentional.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-06-2022, 07:55 PM

MSU can provide up to $5,980 per year to each student athlete. The SEC has given all member schools the ability to award this money at their discretion.

The "requirements" are pretty vague. Eligibilty (almost everyone is eligible right), retention (huh?), community service (nothing specific), and academic accolades (such as being on the SEC honor roll). It's not clear if all of these criteria have to be met and to what extent. Also, Brackey Brett is quoted in the article so he's involved in some way.

It's not clear if a football player has to meet all of those qualifications to receive the full award or if the award is truly at MSU's discretion. I don't know what kind of legal issues are involved. Such as giving a football player with a 3.0 the full amount whereas a female soccer player with a better GPA only gets half. The article didn't go into very many details-maybe that was intentional.

Less info out the best.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2022, 08:23 PM
Less info out the best.

If we can allocate awards at our discretion and in relative confidentiality then that's great. However that's rarely the case with a public institution.

If we gave 85 football players, 13 basketball players and let's say 35 baseball players (since you don't have to be on scholarship) the full award...that would be $795,340. The article said we paid out "over $1 million total". With the average award being $3,200 per student athlete.

BrunswickDawg
04-07-2022, 07:35 AM

I would assume that means "he kept his name out of the portal", here's a $.

Cooterpoot
04-07-2022, 08:23 AM
It's all sports, men and women. I haven't counted the athletes, but I'm betting that $1MM number isn't really accurate, just a statement number.