PDA

View Full Version : Pitching rotation

TheLostDawg
04-03-2022, 07:29 PM
If was mentioned earlier and brushed off because it would require certain circumstances to even be a thought. I think we might be there.

The way we're playing, should we move Stinnet to our Friday guy since he's least consistent (and maybe go as far as cade to Saturday?)

parabrave
04-03-2022, 09:06 PM
If was mentioned earlier and brushed off because it would require certain circumstances to even be a thought. I think we might be there.

The way we're playing, should we move Stinnet to our Friday guy since he's least consistent (and maybe go as far as cade to Saturday?)

I think we may be seeing another starter soon. If We see Pico getting the start next game maybe he will be in the weekend rotation down the road.

Homedawg
04-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Stinnett is a starter and starter only. So if you want anything out of him you start him. With that said, you have to have a quick trigger and have someone to follow him who pounds the zone.

Homedawg
04-03-2022, 09:10 PM
I think we may be seeing another starter soon. If We see Pico getting the start next game maybe he will be in the weekend rotation down the road.

Pico isn't ready to be an sec starter. Just isn't.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2022, 09:36 PM
Pico is our only reliable lefty out of the pen. He needs to stay there

The Federalist Engineer
04-03-2022, 09:41 PM

With Stinnett and Tullar on Fridays. We should send Cohen to speak to Kyle Peterson and Dave Neal, "Please Don't broadcast nationally us on Fridays"

Friday: Stinnett, ?
Saturday: Hunt, P Johnson
Sunday: Cade, Auger
Closer: Fristoe

Some Fridays, Stinnett will be lights out. Like the Texas Tech version. It's not a Flush

Cowbell
04-03-2022, 09:43 PM

The problem with this line of thinking is you have to atleast be competitive on Friday so that you get into the opposing teams bullpen. That almost cost us a win today. I think Cade needs to be our Friday guy just to set the tone and throw strikes.

Saltydog
04-03-2022, 09:48 PM
Agreed! I see a lot of people here seem to think so but he isn't refined enough at this point and certainly doesn't havre the arm to overpower SEC hitters.

Todd4State
04-03-2022, 09:51 PM

The only two viable options I see other than the three we are starting would be Hunt who obviously isn't ready yet or Brandon Smith who I don't think he could get through an order more than once.

The biggest thing in my mind is try to build up Hunt to where he can start as soon as we can- which is realistically probably the second half of SEC play. It's positive that's he's even out there. And by build up I mean where we can get 3-5 innings out of him. That will allow us to move Preston back to the bullpen which helps out there.

Stinnett is a mixed bag. We have no idea what we will get. He does seem to be much better at home than he is on the road. Even against Alabama he was pretty wild. I would keep him where he is- for now. Especially with two home series coming up.

Cade does give us an advantage on Sunday's.

My gut says don't mess around with the rotation at least until KC is back- or not. There is a possibility he can only be a 1-2 inning guy and we can't rule that out either.

The good news is Fristoe and Auger have been pitching better- and more importantly they're able to do it over multiple innings. This week we need to get Tepper back out there against UT-Martin and build on last week. He has the ability to help us. Those three plus maybe Preston in the second half give us a competent bullpen and it will allow us to not overexpose Brandon Smith who at the very least doesn't walk people. Pico gives us a LH option. Walker and Cheatham doing well is a positive for us also. We need to try to continue to develop them. Tullar needs to sit. He keeps getting blown up and yet he leads the team in appearances? Drew Talley may be able to help us with an inning here and there as well.

Todd4State
04-03-2022, 09:57 PM
With Stinnett and Tullar on Fridays. We should send Cohen to speak to Kyle Peterson and Dave Neal, "Please Don't broadcast nationally us on Fridays"

Friday: Stinnett, ?
Saturday: Hunt, P Johnson
Sunday: Cade, Auger
Closer: Fristoe

Some Fridays, Stinnett will be lights out. Like the Texas Tech version. It's not a Flush

I like where you are going. How about:

Fri- Stinnett followed by Preston at the first sign of trouble.
Saturday- Hunt (1-3), Brandon Smith (1-2), Auger (1-3), Fristoe (1-3) with Pico, Tepper, and Talley in reserve.
Sunday- Cade followed by Preston. If Preston's pitch count is run up on Friday then go with Pico.

Use Fristoe in save situations as needed depending on pitch count.

Todd4State
04-03-2022, 09:59 PM
The problem with this line of thinking is you have to atleast be competitive on Friday so that you get into the opposing teams bullpen. That almost cost us a win today. I think Cade needs to be our Friday guy just to set the tone and throw strikes.

The problem is our ace is out with Tommy John and we don't have a true Friday night guy at this point.

HoopsDawg
04-03-2022, 10:11 PM
I'd go Stinnett Friday, Cade Saturday, TBD Sunday. PJ as a reliever in winnable games or Sunday starter.

TNDawg35
04-04-2022, 07:51 AM
Cade gives us a huge advantage right now in Sunday games. I would leave him there.

Stinnett Fri
Hunt Sat
Cade Sun

Then you go from there. we don’t have the luxury of babying arms this year. If PJ can go twice in a wknd he needs to. Fristoe should close every game. Even games we are up huge. Let him close to keep gaining confidence…