PDA

View Full Version : I?m sorry

FriarsPoint
04-02-2022, 08:35 PM
This is a bad baseball team. Complete rebuild. We need some pitchers. And I?m not counting on postseason play.

Santiago
04-02-2022, 09:11 PM
I like Walker, Kohn, Cheatham. If Hunt can get back in the swing of things then that talent has to step up the rest of the year

FriarsPoint
04-02-2022, 09:12 PM
We have no leadership. None.

Cowbell
04-02-2022, 09:14 PM

Yes - this is the problem

HoopsDawg
04-02-2022, 09:40 PM
This is a bad baseball team. Complete rebuild. We need some pitchers. And I?m not counting on postseason play.

Next year is a complete rebuild. I don't know what this year is.

Bothrops
04-02-2022, 09:53 PM
In a way we recruit baseball like we recruited football over the years. If not within 450 miles you're just not on our radar screen. Not saying this is directly related to our problems at the moment, but it reveals a measuring stick of the program.

Cooterpoot
04-02-2022, 09:56 PM

We have little talent. Has nothing to do with leadership.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-02-2022, 10:00 PM
Next year is a complete rebuild. I don't know what this year is.

This year is us waiting out the vets to leave. No offense to all that LoTan, Hancock, and James have done for us, but they are NOT the leaders we need. But as long as they have the experience and age, their presence will cause a young leader to not step up.

And I think those vets have lost the hunger to win. They have a narry, they proved themselves. I do NOT see the same energy and chip on their shoulder I saw last year.

We need new blood that wants to win and establish their own legacy. We need new blood that will lead. And frankly we need new blood that is TALLENTED! I'm sorry but we have a converted catcher who is short and can't hit at 1B. We have an automatic K at SS. We have a dead bat at CF. We had to get a transfer to fill 2B. Our pitchers do not have the velo other staffs have and we don't have good leftys. Bama has a lefty throwing strikes at 96. That's inexcusable they can get that but Cam Tullars 12ish ERA is the best we have from that side.

IMissJack
04-02-2022, 10:04 PM
I do not recall hearing or reading any MSU fans or press that expected THIS big of a come down this season. Yes we lost 2 of our best pitchers, but all I heard or read is how deep our arms were. The bats are just not there. We are real weak right now. One would think that we could have picked up some more talent than we did over the last year.

Cooterpoot
04-02-2022, 11:11 PM
This year is us waiting out the vets to leave. No offense to all that LoTan, Hancock, and James have done for us, but they are NOT the leaders we need. But as long as they have the experience and age, their presence will cause a young leader to not step up.

And I think those vets have lost the hunger to win. They have a narry, they proved themselves. I do NOT see the same energy and chip on their shoulder I saw last year.

We need new blood that wants to win and establish their own legacy. We need new blood that will lead. And frankly we need new blood that is TALLENTED! I'm sorry but we have a converted catcher who is short and can't hit at 1B. We have an automatic K at SS. We have a dead bat at CF. We had to get a transfer to fill 2B. Our pitchers do not have the velo other staffs have and we don't have good leftys. Bama has a lefty throwing strikes at 96. That's inexcusable they can get that but Cam Tullars 12ish ERA is the best we have from that side.

Who is stepping up? This team is half transfers. That makes for terrible chemistry. We need an influx of talent, cause it ain't here. The leadership nonsense is laughable.

FriarsPoint
04-02-2022, 11:19 PM
Who is stepping up? This team is half transfers. That makes for terrible chemistry. We need an influx of talent, cause it ain't here. The leadership nonsense is laughable.

It’s not laughable. It’s the difference between being a mediocre team and the worst in the league. Which we are.

EdwardDrayton
04-02-2022, 11:29 PM
Still not ready to fold the hand. We have plenty of games left and just need to play .500 ball. Just don’t think Arkansas is the measuring stick for the rest of our season. They certainly weren’t last year.

Todd4State
04-03-2022, 12:27 AM

We need to build our team better. Somehow we ended up with a ton of corner INF/OF guys and no LHP. Not sure how that happens but we need to fix it.

TNDawg35
04-03-2022, 01:27 AM
In a way we recruit baseball like we recruited football over the years. If not within 450 miles you're just not on our radar screen. Not saying this is directly related to our problems at the moment, but it reveals a measuring stick of the program.

Bad part is, your totally correct. I went and looked at perfect game recruiting page and most of our recruits have been AL, GA, MS. Lemonis seems to have expanded to Cali and TX for his class, but baseball recruiting is hard to judge it’s unreal. Kids commit so far out and there seems to be no flipping or anything. It’s like an unwritten rule almost. That’s why Vitello and DVH got into it last year. Vitello said eat shit and was going after recruits. Just like he is going after the Jett kid we have committed.

I honestly think the coaching turnover is catching up to us in recruiting. We have some talent but we need elite talent. We need the 1st and 2nd round pitchers to make it to campus. If it’s one thing we ever do, we need to be paying recruits like hell to come to campus. Walk in and ask the kid what his price is he is looking to get out of being drafted. Pay it and get his ass on campus. Do that with 2 or 3 big time pitchers and a couple big bats, then back fill with good talent to let them fill in the gaps.

Oh and either Lemonis take over hitting or find a damn hitting coach who will Make adjustments…

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-03-2022, 06:31 AM
Coaching turnovers be damned- we've been to 5 straight Supers, 3 straight CWSs, and a Natty, while being exciting energetic and fun to watch each postseason. We have the best park in the country and best fanbase.

We should have attracted talent regardless of coaching turnover. I get the Cann fiasco if that cost us a year of recruiting, but he should have been a good recruiter his first year, then Lemo was billed as a great recruiter, and the year in between the made Omaha so it's not like we weren't an attractive place to play.

It's laziness in recruiting, bad scouting, not being good at managing draft risks etc. It's SOMETHING Other than coaching turnover, has to be

basedog
04-03-2022, 07:14 AM
I've changed my tune on this year's baseball team. Pressure has built up to perform and they have not responded. Lack of pitching and not enough hitting. I was somewhat concerned with all the celebration going into this year, but I didn't see this total collapse! Sho ain't Msu baseball!

R2Dawg
04-03-2022, 07:41 AM
Great programs (like MSU) we don't have to rebuild, we reload. We are performing like a SWAC team not a defending NC. We are like Coastal Carolina who had a flash in the pan year. MSU is not a flash in the pan but that is what we look like this year.

I honestly think the pitching injuries and poor bull pen has took the heart out of this team. We approached the plate last year differently knowing the pitching could save any game. We don't do anything with confidence now.

We have some talent but pitching issues is where it starts. They know if we don't score 15 runs we may not win in SEC.

And yep part is on coaching too. How can it not be to have this kind of letdown after a NC?

Leeshouldveflanked
04-03-2022, 09:15 AM
Chemistry and Leadership have nothing to do with pitchers not being able to throw a strike. We missed on some evaluations.

Coach34
04-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Chemistry and Leadership have nothing to do with pitchers not being able to throw a strike. We missed on some evaluations.

This. You really have to question our recruiting.

What other SEC team would Leggs or Foreskin start for? Hancock? Anybody from CF?
Losing Sims and Simmons is tough- but what other pitchers can we count on other than Cade Smith? Absolute terrible job of getting these guys ready to pitch.
Where are the impact freshman other than Hines? Kohn has been decent but we should always have about 4 freshmen that are major contributors

Yeager was a good portal pull- but my gosh we won the CWS and have the best stadium in the country. Where are the impact transfers on the mound? At the plate?

Recruiting has been subpar and roster management downright bad

IMissJack
04-03-2022, 09:38 AM
Coaching turnovers be damned- we've been to 5 straight Supers, 3 straight CWSs, and a Natty, while being exciting energetic and fun to watch each postseason. We have the best park in the country and best fanbase.

We should have attracted talent regardless of coaching turnover. I get the Cann fiasco if that cost us a year of recruiting, but he should have been a good recruiter his first year, then Lemo was billed as a great recruiter, and the year in between the made Omaha so it's not like we weren't an attractive place to play.

It's laziness in recruiting, bad scouting, not being good at managing draft risks etc. It's SOMETHING Other than coaching turnover, has to be

Problem is…it is getting harder to rebuild for MSU. Now everyone has good parks and pretty good attendance. We have what I consider the best park and best fans, but the gap is not what it used to be.

Santiago
04-03-2022, 11:36 AM
Problem is?it is getting harder to rebuild for MSU. Now everyone has good parks and pretty good attendance. We have what I consider the best park and best fans, but the gap is not what it used to be.

Sometimes I watch TN, and think dang, if MSU had a Tony Vitello coached team, we would easily separate from those closing the gap. Our attendance and atmosphere would go up a few more notches.

AlSwearengen
04-03-2022, 12:38 PM
Our problems could stem from so many different sources that it is hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. I keep coming back to the coaching turnover and hoping that is what it is, but I?m worried that it is more than that. Exactly how good are our recruiting classes that consists of current 9th and 10th graders? That should tell us a little about our recruiting.

Tepper?s and Fristoe?s progression is a little concerning considering their ratings out of h.s. I remember reading that we should be worried about Tuller going pro out of juco. I can?t imagine where that came from and I?m not talking about results. He doesn?t have the size, velocity, etc., etc. to draw much interest from the pros.

Our position players have measurables that pros like (arm strength, power) but there isn?t a hitter in the lineup that I would call a ?hitter?. Hines is a true freshman who looks like he will get there though.

I kept reading how our coaches like the young hitters but other than Hines, where are they? Are they not developing b/c they are facing sub par SEC pitchers in practice and aren?t ready?

I hate posting shit like this but we don?t look like we belong in the mid to upper half of the league. We will have to battle to beat the bottom 1/3 of the league.

Santiago
04-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Guys remind me on this question, about short stop, but I assume Yeager does not have the range for SEC shortstop? SS is not our only problem at the plate, but I was thinking more about getting a younger guy experience at second, who has potential at the plate.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-03-2022, 01:16 PM
There is no reason to not have a stud shortstop and a good center fielder. You want to be strong up the middle. We are the weakest up the middle as we have been in a long time.

Todd4State
04-03-2022, 01:17 PM
Sometimes I watch TN, and think dang, if MSU had a Tony Vitello coached team, we would easily separate from those closing the gap. Our attendance and atmosphere would go up a few more notches.

It would be interesting to see how our fans respond to him because he is as intense if not moreso than Cohen was.

My thought is to hire one of his assistants. Often times they are the "brain" behind the operation or they learn "how to" evaluate and attract players.

See Cann at LSU and Lemonis at Louisville.

Also, taking man assistant often weakens a program. See Ole Miss losing Dan McDonnell or Cliff Godwin.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-03-2022, 01:20 PM
Tony Vitello will be at Ole Miss next year if Blanco doesnt make it to Omaha.

Santiago
04-03-2022, 01:21 PM
It would be interesting to see how our fans respond to him because he is as intense if not moreso than Cohen was.

My thought is to hire one of his assistants. Often times they are the "brain" behind the operation or they learn "how to" evaluate and attract players.

See Cann at LSU and Lemonis at Louisville.

Also, taking man assistant often weakens a program. See Ole Miss losing Dan McDonnell or Cliff Godwin.

Someone on that staff , if not all, are evaluating guys really well. Agree on weakening a team. One thing for sure, their pitching coach is evaluating and recruiting well.

Santiago
04-03-2022, 01:22 PM

TN has promised Vitello his requests after last season. I don't see him moving from TN to TSUN. That is just adding "SU" on his team name ***
Didn't he basically turn down LSU last year?

Coach34
04-03-2022, 04:00 PM
Vitello is not leaving Tennessee unless they break their promises to him

OLJWales
04-03-2022, 06:38 PM

Assumption or insider info? As far as us though, and as pissed off as I am, flirting with other coaches right now shouldn't be part of a discussion fresh off a Natty.

Randolph Dupree
04-03-2022, 07:25 PM

Something by is up with the the TN team. I don't know what it is but no way they're that good at player development. Just say'n

OLJWales
04-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Something by is up with the the TN team. I don't know what it is but no way they're that good at player development. Just say'n

Do their recent crootin' classes match this year's success? And why CAN'T they be developing these players to perform the way they are? What else could it be? Loaded Bats?

Randolph Dupree
04-04-2022, 07:51 AM
Do their recent crootin' classes match this year's success? And why CAN'T they be developing these players to perform the way they are? What else could it be? Loaded Bats?

Good question. I know they recently had a top 5 class but don't think they got a lot of those guys to campus. I'll have to do some research but I think they've recruited well but it feels like they're performing well above that level.

OLJWales
04-04-2022, 11:51 AM
Good question. I know they recently had a top 5 class but don't think they got a lot of those guys to campus. I'll have to do some research but I think they've recruited well but it feels like they're performing well above that level.

Of COURSE they're playing above level; that's what kick ass staff and players do.

R2Dawg
04-04-2022, 07:48 PM

Yeah something seems funny. They are good, how and why are they this good this fast? People say it wasn't fast, well what was UT 5 years ago? Nothing and they did it in the toughest conf in America.