PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATS TO ROY OSWALT

West Houston Dog
04-01-2022, 08:01 AM
The Houston Chronicle has ranked the top 10 list of all time great Astros pitchers.

Some really big names on this list...Nolan Ryan, JR Richard, Joe Niekro, Roger Clemens, Mike Scott, Justin Verlander.. pitchers like Gerrit Cole and Darryl Kile just outside the top ten.

And Weir Ms's own Roy Oswalt is ranked #1.

Coulda shoulda been a Bulldog!!

Tbonewannabe
04-01-2022, 01:39 PM
Still a Bulldog, just didn't put on the MoverS on the field at The Dude.

shoeless joe
04-01-2022, 02:16 PM
Roy was small and from a small school. He also didn’t develop as a pitcher in high school and wasn’t a D1 prospect. But once he did develop my goodness what a competitor. I always hated seeing him on the mound for the astros when playing the Braves in the playoffs.

Saw something one time where he had made the state games and the coach of his team made a comment about him being too small and that’s why he would not get the opportunities while there. Roy said that was a great motivator for him all the way to the big leagues. You folks around Brandon and new hope would prolly be familiar with that coach.

Cooterpoot
04-01-2022, 02:44 PM
Roy was small and from a small school. He also didn’t develop as a pitcher in high school and wasn’t a D1 prospect. But once he did develop my goodness what a competitor. I always hated seeing him on the mound for the astros when playing the Braves in the playoffs.

Saw something one time where he had made the state games and the coach of his team made a comment about him being too small and that’s why he would not get the opportunities while there. Roy said that was a great motivator for him all the way to the big leagues. You folks around Brandon and new hope would prolly be familiar with that coach.

Wasn't a D1 prospect? He had offers.

HaggardDawg
04-01-2022, 02:57 PM

Who is Stacy Hester?

I?ll take Sports Trivia for 200 Alex

Homedawg
04-01-2022, 09:18 PM
Wasn't a D1 prospect? He had offers.

I assume he meant out of high school. Cause obviously he signed w us out of homes.

Todd4State
04-01-2022, 09:45 PM
Weir didn't even have a high school team and basically started one up because of Oswalt per urban legend.

That probably affected his offers out of high school.

Homedawg
04-01-2022, 09:50 PM
Weir didn't even have a high school team and basically started one up because of Oswalt per urban legend.

He didn't have offers because he was tiny coming out of hs.

Todd4State
04-01-2022, 10:02 PM
He didn't have offers because he was tiny coming out of hs.

He's listed at 6'0" tall. I would say he is probably more like 5'10"-5'11".

I've seen many pitchers shorter than him get SEC offers. Justin Pigott. Oswalt also had a think lower half.

Maybe he was shorter at Weir and grew I don't know. But as hard as he threw he was going to be found by MLB at some point.

OLJWales
04-02-2022, 11:12 AM
Mike Scott threw that mean splitter for the Jackson Mets before being traded to the Stros only to meet the Mets in the NLCS in '86 and be accused by the Mets of doctoring the ball. This was during my 11 month stint in NYC and got to go to game 7 to see what was mostly the Jackson Mets win it all.
This is an awesome video of Oswalt's life outta Weir and MLB history. Well worth the 2 minutes.

https://youtu.be/sftMz08Nx4A

Choctaw Dawg
04-03-2022, 08:18 PM

No urban legend to that, players pushed hard to have a baseball team and got it and it was mostly spearheaded by Roy and his parents.