PDA

View Full Version : Today's Severe Weather Threat

starkvegasdawg
03-30-2022, 02:53 AM
Not going to post any graphics at this time. Basically if you live anywhere in MS, eastern LA/AR, or western AL then prepare for a very bad day. The wording from the SPC for today is scary. It's given me a very bad feeling down in the pit of my stomach. I'll paste some of it below. Just realize once this event starts storms are going to go severe/tornadic very quickly. Storm speeds could be upwards of 70mph so wanting lead times could be short.

From the SPC:

A regional outbreak of severe thunderstorms is expected from the Lower Mississippi Valley into parts of the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys today, and over portions of the central Gulf Coast states later today into tonight. Widespread damaging winds with gusts over 75 mph and several strong tornadoes (EF2+) appear likely.

By midday, the combination of cooling aloft and strong low-level moisture advection will lead to destabilization near the cold front, with a rapid increase in storm coverage and intensity. Most CAMs suggest this will occur around 18Z, focused over northern LA, central and eastern AR, and southeast MO. The bulk of this activity is expected become severe as it quickly crosses the MS River into MS, western TN and KY.
Extreme shear is forecast, with effective SRH of 500-800 m2/s2 common as MLCAPE increases to 1000-1500 J/kg over LA/AR/MS and southwest TN. Supercells are likely, with strong tornadoes possible as well as particularly damaging outflow surges. As outflows merge, QLCS tornadoes may occur as well. Although CAPE values will be lower across the OH Valley, strong lift may sustain a severe-wind threat there through about 03Z.
...Parts of eastern LA...much of MS...AL...FL Panhandle... Southern portions of the front/dryline will move much slower compared to farther north, resulting in a longer duration of boundary-layer moistening. A line of convection should become evident by 21Z from southwest MS into parts of southern LA, moving across MS and into north-central AL by about 03Z. The subtle lift, combined with ample low-level moisture beneath an intense low-level jet, will favor tornadic supercells which may peak during the night. Effective SRH will remain high, averaging 400-500 m2/s2, with proper hodograph elongation in the mid and high levels. Given the long duration and slow eastward movement of this line of supercells, and the magnitude of the forecast hodographs, a few intense tornadoes could occur.

SaintDawg
03-30-2022, 07:12 AM
I dont recall ever seeing 75% of the state have a TorCon of 7. I know thats probably a metric made up by the Weather Channel to boost ratings like ESPN's silly metrics that they create, but still... everyone stay safe today.

Activated Alpha
03-30-2022, 07:42 AM
I'm at work and my wife is home alone with all of our young kids. Hopefully Brandon won't be hit at all....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-30-2022, 08:43 AM
It's cloudy here in west central MS. Hopefully that helps keep storms from gaining more energy.

starkvegasdawg
03-30-2022, 08:46 AM
Latest HRRR is now trying to develop a few discrete cells ahead of the main line. Just something to watch.

99jc
03-30-2022, 08:56 AM
I am in Fort Smith at 9 am wed it passed through really fast but looks to intensify as there is wind shear and heat to make it rock and roll stay safe.

parabrave
03-30-2022, 12:37 PM
Tornadic storms starting east of Shreveport headinmg down 20.

starkvegasdawg
03-30-2022, 12:44 PM
We've talked about it for several days and now it's started. LA is just the appetizer for the main event. Take any warnings very seriously. I'm on my way to Kosciusko to stage so my time on here probably about to become vey limited. If/when I get on storms I will fire up the livestream on our Patreon site of any are interested.

parabrave
03-30-2022, 12:52 PM
8 tornado active warnings between Monroe and Lake Charles.

BigDawgB
03-30-2022, 12:53 PM
Would be awesome if you could get to 1k subscribers on YouTube and go live. Seems like today will be an opportunity for plenty of views.

ScoobaDawg
03-30-2022, 02:20 PM
heads up rolling fork... yazoo city. Tornado warned storm crossing the river now.

KOdawg1
03-30-2022, 02:29 PM
We've talked about it for several days and now it's started. LA is just the appetizer for the main event. Take any warnings very seriously. I'm on my way to Kosciusko to stage so my time on here probably about to become vey limited. If/when I get on storms I will fire up the livestream on our Patreon site of any are interested.

I'd prefer for you to go somewhere else lol

parabrave
03-30-2022, 02:39 PM
One of VDs associates with the initials RT is following that cell heading down 20. When you see him around Clinton time to start worrying Jacksonians/

parabrave
03-30-2022, 02:39 PM
Also one heading into the Natchez area

ScoobaDawg
03-30-2022, 03:40 PM
Hope everyone in vicksburg area is alright. dont like what im seeing on radar. heading towards flora now and officially warned.

ScoobaDawg
03-30-2022, 03:45 PM
Yeaaa if you are near Bentonia and Flora take cover now! Very distinct Hook formed just north of edwards

parabrave
03-30-2022, 04:49 PM
Yazoo City took a hit. Looks like a cell is heading down 20 towards Flowood

parabrave
03-30-2022, 05:18 PM
Tornado heading down 20 at 20/55S by JPD.

parabrave
03-30-2022, 05:23 PM
Over Jackson Int Airport now

viverlibre
03-30-2022, 05:23 PM
Came through Flowood around 1700, not much damage has been reported so far.

starkvegasdawg
03-30-2022, 07:55 PM
Storms are about to push out of the state. Seen a ton of reports of wind damage, but thankfully I think we escaped without any damage from strong tornadoes. I know there were a few confirmed tornadoes but all indications they were weak. Will be confirmed after surveys are completed.

starkvegasdawg
03-30-2022, 07:57 PM
Would be awesome if you could get to 1k subscribers on YouTube and go live. Seems like today will be an opportunity for plenty of views.

I actually can live stream on YouTube and it is the method I use. The catch is that since I'm streaming on behalf of our team, it is locked down to our Patreon subscribers. A day or two later it will go onto our public YouTube channel but it isn't available live publicly.

PMDawg
03-30-2022, 08:04 PM
Guess you mean the north half of the state. Haha. Just pushing in for some of us.

SaintDawg
03-30-2022, 09:10 PM
Storms are about to push out of the state. Seen a ton of reports of wind damage, but thankfully I think we escaped without any damage from strong tornadoes. I know there were a few confirmed tornadoes but all indications they were weak. Will be confirmed after surveys are completed.

Seems like we got dangerously close to a major outbreak and it backed off at the last second.

RougeDawg
03-30-2022, 10:11 PM
We got 1.5? of rain between 8-9 pm according to my weather station. Had water ponding in yard and gutters gushing. Luckily I caught a French drain that clogged. Water was seeping under a bottom floor door. Have only experienced a handful of consistent rainfalls like that over an hour in Nola in the 11 years here. Winds were rough but no twisters this week.

Eta. Hopefully everyone is doing ok and this front does not turn out as bad as last week.

parabrave
03-30-2022, 10:19 PM
got about 2 inches in Biloxi. had one spinup tornado in Jackson county around Vancleve.

RougeDawg
03-30-2022, 10:32 PM
got about 2 inches in Biloxi. had one spinup tornado in Jackson county around Vancleve.

The good Ole Cleve. I?m from Biloxi. What was the old baseball coach there late 90?s? And if anyone remembers Jason Ealy. He was a more raw Cumbest. Could hit a ball 500 feet when he made contact. He was all or nothing. Never worked out but could lift a full sized truck to change a tire by himself. Country strong. Must be in the water over there.

parabrave
03-31-2022, 01:01 AM
The good Ole Cleve. I?m from Biloxi. What was the old baseball coach there late 90?s? And if anyone remembers Jason Ealy. He was a more raw Cumbest. Could hit a ball 500 feet when he made contact. He was all or nothing. Never worked out but could lift a full sized truck to change a tire by himself. Country strong. Must be in the water over there.

We played against Vancleve George County and East Central back in the 70s when that area was all farms. Dem boys would hit you into next week.