PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky good win tonight

Todd4State
03-29-2022, 11:12 PM
Lots of positives.

1. We got a road win. That will help our resume a little down the road. We also avoided a Q3 loss.

2. The softball lineup returned and lo and behold we scored 10 runs. I have no idea why Lemonis went away from it game three against Alabama. This lineup has to be averaging 10 runs a game or something like that. Memphis had a typical night for a Russ McNickle coached staff. Lots of walks, a couple of bombs. And they started one of their weekend guys too. He benefitted from a BS strike zone though.

3. KC Hunt returned. Yes, he gave up a couple of runs but it was good to see him out there. We need to start to see if we can stretch him out. And UT-Martin is the perfect time to start to do that.

4. The BEST part was our bullpen. We start off Tepper and Fristoe with a clean inning and look what happened. 4 IP, 6 K's, 1 hit and 2 BB's. I loved that visit from Foxhall to Fristoe after he allowed his first two to reach base. He calmed him down and got his mind right and Fristoe was off and running. Foxhall is going to have to coach these guys more than he did a Landon Sims who pretty much anyone in the stands could bring him in and let him strike everyone out. He's a unicorn though. We need Fristoe and Tepper to be confident because of our pitching staff situation. Having them try to get out of Cam Tullar's jam that he created isn't the best way to do that. Also, I thought Brandon Smith pitched well and Drew Talley is going to get a pass from me because he did his job and got screwed. I don't know if that umpire had something against Lemonis but he called the first five innings unequally to put it bluntly. Not sure if he just wanted to throw someone out, had a bad day, filled up his car with gas, or didn't get a refund on his taxes but my impression was he was looking to throw someone out on our side. Well, when he and Tweedledumb at first base both missed an easy call on a check swing after Talley did his job to strike the guy out...well sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. And Lemonis did that. Cohen will probably eat the fine because that was egregious. The strike zone seemed to change after that and we outplayed them from that point on. Anyway- I think Talley and Smith can help us out. And you know- one week after Lemonis is chewing Talley apart on the mound the next week he comes back and has his back. I could see where players would respect a coach like that. He'll tell you like it is but he also is going to be on your side if the umpire does a CB Bucknor impression.

Good to see Kam James and LoTan starting to heat up with the weather. Their home runs got us going- and I think shell shocked Memphis a little bit. And then the wheels fell off.

Memphis really should be a better program than they are. No reason for them to not be at least USM/Tulane level. But they don't care. It's kind of sad. We'll see who their next head coach is. Wouldn't surprise me if it's McNickle. They could probably do better. If Raffo keeps getting beat every night he might be their hitting coach next year.

We got Arkansas next. That's going to be tough because I'm sure we're going to be the World Series since they absolutely hate our ass. And by that I mean I'm not expecting them to drop foul balls. They're pissed we won a National Championship before them, they're pissed we have a better stadium, and they're pissed that we're from Mississippi. I'll be fine if we win one. They are last in the SEC in hitting so maybe our staff can pull one out. The good news is we should have Auger and Pico ready for Friday. Of course he'll throw Tullar. Hopefully with a very short leash. After this series we go back to Starkville for a couple of weeks in a row so we just have to weather this out and keep building our bullpen like we did tonight.

Quaoarsking
03-30-2022, 12:17 AM
Memphis really should be a better program than they are.

You're not kidding. This is their coach's 17th year there, and he's only made the NCAA Tournament one time, all the way back in 2017. He hasn't been above .500 in conference games since 2013, and yet they keep bringing him back year after year.

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2022, 06:38 AM
CB Bucknor my ass. That guy was full on Angel Hernandez.

FISHDAWG
03-30-2022, 07:20 AM
Good recap and assessment Todd .... This board needs to prepare themselves for Arkansas and go ahead and understand now that 1 win this weekend won't be a bad thing ... I don't expect them to sweep us but that's a definite possibility.
I also thought it was good timing for Foxhall's visit and Lemon's early departure ... It's amazing how mental baseball actually is

trob115
03-30-2022, 08:02 AM
You misspelled Eric Gregg

GolfDawg
03-30-2022, 09:15 AM
First time poster but longtime reader here. Finally got my account activated, had some issues with that but glad to be here and talk some Bulldog baseball. Good recap and gritty win- they aren't always going to be pretty.

I think we're moving in the right direction and have enough positives going for us right now that our trip to Fayetteville shouldn't be a total train wreck. Gotta win one.

Arkansas has played Kentucky and Mizzou, so neither of us have had a major SEC test yet which makes comparing SEC statistics for our teams interesting. We have a solid edge in offensive stats while their pitching has obviously been a lot better than ours thus far. We've both been good in the field- 2 errors for the Hogs and 4 for us in SEC play.

Some interesting SEC only stats:

Dogs Hogs
Hitting
Avg .281 .246
slg% .496 .362
runs 48 36
HRs 11 5
Ks 58 63

Pitching
ERA 6.75 3.74
BBs 33 20
K 64 68
b/avg .260 .240

I think if we play clean defense and can limit the number of free bases we give out we should win a game this weekend. If some guys step up (hopefully one of our starting pitchers has a career night) maybe we have a chance to win the series. Baum is a tough place to play though- I went in 2019 and I'm going this weekend as well. Hope our guys can feed off of the big stage because the night games Friday and Saturday are going to be a hostile crowd. Hail State!

StarkVegasSteve
03-30-2022, 09:22 AM
If we win one this weekend then it can be considered a successful weekend. I expect us to get swept. But I was only expecting one even when I thought we were good. Baum is one of the toughest places to play in the country.

Coach34
03-30-2022, 10:21 AM
I wish we had let Tepper go another inning. He needs the work
Good to see Fristoe recover and get over the hump last night. Hopefully will lead to some better outings
We still dont throw strikes worth a shit coming out of the pen. Drives me nuts
Still dont like Yeager hitting 8th
Tanner pimped that HR like a champ (which I thought was hilarious). How he didnt get popped the next AB blows me away with our softass society
Kam is really looking good at the plate and is living up to the potential finally
Hines is really fun to watch at the plate. He's going to be hell after this rookie year

Commercecomet24
03-30-2022, 11:46 AM
I wish we had let Tepper go another inning. He needs the work
Good to see Fristoe recover and get over the hump last night. Hopefully will lead to some better outings
We still dont throw strikes worth a shit coming out of the pen. Drives me nuts
Still dont like Yeager hitting 8th
Tanner pimped that HR like a champ (which I thought was hilarious). How he didnt get popped the next AB blows me away with our softass society
Kam is really looking good at the plate and is living up to the potential finally
Hines is really fun to watch at the plate. He's going to be hell after this rookie year

I agree especially with the not throwing strikes. Makes me want to pull what's left of my hair out. These pitchers arent 9 years old. They're to advanced to not be able to command a fastball for a strike, and when they miss it's not by just a little, it's big! I understand on occasion one might lose it for a minute, it happens, but we got guys that do it far to often. Just GET AHEAD in the count!

Coach34
03-30-2022, 11:51 AM
haha- yep. Tepper's 1st pitch last night was in the other batters box. I know Lemon had to be watching it on TV saying "wtf" just like I did

Santiago
03-30-2022, 09:12 PM
Also on pitching seems sometimes we get an 0-2 count and then throw a wasted pitch that is so far from the zone that even the batter doesn't even check swing. Then next thing we have a 2-2 or 3-2 count. Not all pitchers, but a few still do it.

Lord McBuckethead
03-31-2022, 08:35 AM
Yep. The throw away pitch needs to be more competitive, just a little. Also, Fristoe has this uncanny ability to do two great pitches, do the throw away, and then pipe one down the middle and get smashed. His out pitch needs to be something with a little movement and along the edge of the zone. Instead he throws 94 down broadway.

The Federalist Engineer
03-31-2022, 10:56 AM
First time poster but longtime reader here. Finally got my account activated, had some issues with that but glad to be here and talk some Bulldog baseball. Good recap and gritty win- they aren't always going to be pretty.

I think we're moving in the right direction and have enough positives going for us right now that our trip to Fayetteville shouldn't be a total train wreck. Gotta win one.

Arkansas has played Kentucky and Mizzou, so neither of us have had a major SEC test yet which makes comparing SEC statistics for our teams interesting. We have a solid edge in offensive stats while their pitching has obviously been a lot better than ours thus far. We've both been good in the field- 2 errors for the Hogs and 4 for us in SEC play.

Some interesting SEC only stats:

Dogs Hogs
Hitting
Avg .281 .246
slg% .496 .362
runs 48 36
HRs 11 5
Ks 58 63

Pitching
ERA 6.75 3.74
BBs 33 20
K 64 68
b/avg .260 .240

I think if we play clean defense and can limit the number of free bases we give out we should win a game this weekend. If some guys step up (hopefully one of our starting pitchers has a career night) maybe we have a chance to win the series. Baum is a tough place to play though- I went in 2019 and I'm going this weekend as well. Hope our guys can feed off of the big stage because the night games Friday and Saturday are going to be a hostile crowd. Hail State!

Hogs are a major challenge even MSU's Super Regional and CWS teams in recent years. Expect this to be really tough and challenging with the Hogs motivated to beat MSU badly. There should be no stress for our team however, it's not that kind of season, just play ball.

Winning one is a good thing on the road versus Elite programs.