PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray

Raytoraid83
11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
This is gonna piss some people off and I was gonna let it go after the first tweet but now that there is four on twitter it's time to bring it up. Why is Rick Ray already making excuses for losing the game tomorrow?? First tweet he says how an espn writer talked about how Utah st has two of the best mid major players in America and now three in a row about how it's one of the hardest places in college basketball to play. I don't understand what he is trying to accomplish with this.

Five-tool Poster
11-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Wipe that agenda off your face**

I was going to post the same thing. Has a college coach ever tweeted four times how incredible the school he's playing is?

MetEdDawg
11-22-2013, 09:32 PM
To me he's doing that to show that we aren't afraid to go on the road to good venues and play good teams regardless of how good or bad our team is. I think it's more a recruiting tactic to show that we will go play quality opponents even in the state our program is in right now.

Rick Ray is good with social media and I think our recruits watch what he says. They may be the best opponent we play non conference and if we play well, people will notice that. Let him pump them up all he wants because we have nothing to lose. We are expected to lose pretty bad so it's not a surprise if we do. But if we keep it close or hell, even pull this one out, we look really good.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
11-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Actually this game is the return game from two years ago. Ray and Stricklin did not want to play at Utah State or play Baylor at home last season. Utah State is a good mid major but to act like this would be a huge win is pathetic. We are in one of the power conferences and should be able to win a game like this

smootness
11-22-2013, 10:16 PM
This is gonna piss some people off and I was gonna let it go after the first tweet but now that there is four on twitter it's time to bring it up. Why is Rick Ray already making excuses for losing the game tomorrow?? First tweet he says how an espn writer talked about how Utah st has two of the best mid major players in America and now three in a row about how it's one of the hardest places in college basketball to play. I don't understand what he is trying to accomplish with this.

Why can't it be that he is setting us up to be able to beat our chest when we win? Oh, that's right, because you have an agenda.

If he wanted to create excuses, he would have when asked about playing our first road game in his press conference. Instead, his answer was, 'It's basketball. I don't think it's a big deal.'

Your impression of Rick Ray so far is that he's a guy who's big on excuses?

smootness
11-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Actually this game is the return game from two years ago. Ray and Stricklin did not want to play at Utah State or play Baylor at home last season. Utah State is a good mid major but to act like this would be a huge win is pathetic. We are in one of the power conferences and should be able to win a game like this

Like our loaded 2011-2012 team, who beat them at home by 2?

C222
11-22-2013, 10:23 PM
All we need is MadDawg and this ridiculous thread will be complete.

Five-tool Poster
11-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Like our loaded 2011-2012 team, who beat them at home by 2?

I dont understand, are you asking or answering a question?

Raytoraid83
11-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Oh, that's right, because you have agenda

YES!

Five-tool Poster
11-22-2013, 10:37 PM
He must have an agenda. You have to really despise Ray to think this is unusual.

Dawgface
11-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Stupid thread.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
11-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Why can't it be that he is setting us up to be able to beat our chest when we win? Oh, that's right, because you have an agenda.

If he wanted to create excuses, he would have when asked about playing our first road game in his press conference. Instead, his answer was, 'It's basketball. I don't think it's a big deal.'

Your impression of Rick Ray so far is that he's a guy who's big on excuses?

You honestly think we are going to beat Utah State?

smootness
11-22-2013, 10:43 PM
You honestly think we are going to beat Utah State?

I hope our coach is preparing for that, yes.

You really don't see the absurdity of a thread attacking our coach for talking up the opponent? Every coach in the history of sports has done this.

Maroons
11-22-2013, 10:50 PM
I think the man loves college basketball and is a fierce competitor.

I like it.

MetEdDawg
11-22-2013, 10:52 PM
You are crazy to think that. We are in year 2 of a complete rebuild and should be able to win this game on the road in a tough venue against a quality mid major? That's insane. The expectations of MSU fans are so greatly skewed we can't help but get in our own way when it comes to objectively evaluating our programs. No wonder we've never sustained success in any sport. We see one good year and we think it should always be like that. We see one bad year and we say we are falling behind and if we don't fire our coach we will never get to the top (which is a place we've really never been).

Thinking Ray should win this game is stupid. We aren't the better team and it's not Ray's fault that we aren't.

HoopsDawg
11-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Right now I like everything about Rick Ray but his recruiting. And I am being patient with that for at least one more class. Anyone who give Ray shit right now is just a flat out troll.

Five-tool Poster
11-22-2013, 11:00 PM
I hope our coach is preparing for that, yes.

You really don't see the absurdity of a thread attacking our coach for talking up the opponent? Every coach in the history of sports has done this.

4 tweets on twitter? No, no coach in this history of sports has done this. I'm not attacking him at all. It's just, strange.

whosyourdawgy
11-22-2013, 11:04 PM
It's called Lou Holtzing people. Come on. Classic

Dawg61
11-22-2013, 11:14 PM
You're reaching here

I'minHailState
11-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Coachspeak 101. You always talk up your opponent.

TrueMaroon
11-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Its fine to bring it up for discussion.

I don't see it as out of line, like others have said its coach speak. At no fault of Ray's, hes not had a lot of exposure to to being the face of a program. He may need a little practice before he's got the charm and glamour of, say, Roy Williams.

woozman
11-23-2013, 06:32 AM

The SEC is borderline "power conference" when it comes to basketball.

Dawgface
11-23-2013, 09:16 AM

In the eyes of college bb, I'm not sure many would even give us that.

Coach34
11-23-2013, 09:40 AM

exactly- without Kentucky and Fla- the SEC would be the MEAC or some shit the last 5 years

Ronny
11-23-2013, 09:47 AM
..get a life.

Some of you are 45 year old professionals who make $60K a year with a nice house in the suburbs with a wife & 2.5 children.

Yet all day long you wait with baited breath to see what ignorant statement a coach or player is going to convey on twitter. Please try to grasp how sad that is.

Please, get a life. Or should I say, start making the life you already have a priority instead of trolling jocks & coaches on twitter.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2013, 09:52 AM
You are crazy to think that. We are in year 2 of a complete rebuild and should be able to win this game on the road in a tough venue against a quality mid major? That's insane. The expectations of MSU fans are so greatly skewed we can't help but get in our own way when it comes to objectively evaluating our programs. No wonder we've never sustained success in any sport. We see one good year and we think it should always be like that. We see one bad year and we say we are falling behind and if we don't fire our coach we will never get to the top (which is a place we've really never been).

Thinking Ray should win this game is stupid. We aren't the better team and it's not Ray's fault that we aren't.

Met, I may be wrong but I don't think Smoot was saying he "expected" us to win. I think he was saying that he thinks Ray Expects to win though, as every coach typically does for each game. In other words, I think Smoot is saying that Ray is simply talking up his opponent, but is fully preparing to go in there and get the win.

I may be wrong though. I highly doubt that Smoot or any other MSU fan is actually EXPECTING a road win at Utah state today.

Coach34
11-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Anybody bitching at Ray for anything right now other than the juco guy not getting into school is extremely agenda-driven. The man took the worst basketball roster I've ever seen after injuries and suspensions and still won 10 games- and even more amazingly- didnt finish last in the SEC.

Our kids look different this year- as in they have been busting their ass in the weightroom different.

Our boosters need to get back on board fully- help this man out like we did Williams and Stands- and we will have a good program again. And probably even better than under Stands.

smootness
11-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Met, I may be wrong but I don't think Smoot was saying he "expected" us to win. I think he was saying that he thinks Ray Expects to win though, as every coach typically does for each game. In other words, I think Smoot is saying that Ray is simply talking up his opponent, but is fully preparing to go in there and get the win.

I may be wrong though. I highly doubt that Smoot or any other MSU fan is actually EXPECTING a road win at Utah state today.

Correct. I have 0 expectations of any kind until year 3. Anything we got last year, or get this year, is gravy to me.