PDA

View Full Version : Baseball #39

TheLostDawg
03-28-2022, 04:10 PM
https://www.collegebaseball.info/post/week-6-college-baseball-top-50-tennessee-surges-to-no-1

CaptainObvious
03-28-2022, 04:31 PM
Looks about right based on what I have seen through the first 25 games. I would think 32 wins get us a bid, so that means 17-14 the rest of the way.

confucius say
03-28-2022, 04:34 PM
Our rpi is going to suck all year.
We are at 129 now. Dead last on the league and the 13th team is Bama at 85.

It will go up, but it's going to be a grind to get in the postseason.

Cooterpoot
03-28-2022, 06:47 PM
We aren't making post season. Forget about it.

R2Dawg
03-28-2022, 07:11 PM

It is hard to see how but can if we can win 32 games I think we get in for one reason - defending NC. Can you imagine a small school hosting a regional with a 4 seed MSU defending NC?

Crying shame the dude will be empty come regional time.

State82
03-28-2022, 10:20 PM
Crying shame the dude will be empty come regional time.

Yes it is. A damn shame. But, after beating us in the 2013 CWS finals, UCLA did not make the tournament in 2014. So it is quite conceivable.

CaptainObvious
03-28-2022, 10:32 PM
So the consistent programs from last year are Vandy, Tennessee, NC State, Virginia, Stanford, Texas, and Arizona. Those first 4 are pretty solidly Top 10. The next 3 are solidly Top 20. The only team of last years CWS 8 that is in a rebuild?.. seems to be State. And State went to the CWS 3 straight appearances: 2018, 2019, 2021. None of those other 7 accomplished that. We may have been more due for a step back than those 7 after 3 straight trips.

The Federalist Engineer
03-28-2022, 11:57 PM

If you watch more games around the conference, you will see many teams in the same position. MSU needs to get into Grind mode. We have to fight for every possible win like dear life. Games that are unwinable, let it go. The team could be 1-5 in the SEC but also 5-1. A regional is still very possible.

Also, MSU has some players that can only play better. The start has been rough.

TheLostDawg
03-29-2022, 01:37 AM
If you watch more games around the conference, you will see many teams in the same position. MSU needs to get into Grind mode. We have to fight for every possible win like dear life. Games that are unwinable, let it go. The team could be 1-5 in the SEC but also 5-1. A regional is still very possible.

Also, MSU has some players that can only play better. The start has been rough.

There is also the sec tournament that can help us(or hurt us). We're due for a run there.

Todd4State
03-29-2022, 02:22 AM

Work to do still but much more likely that we make a regional than not. Especially if KC Hunt can come back and stabilize some things with our pitching staff.

The biggest thing is we just have to not tank at this point like 2015. If we win 12-13 SEC games we should get in as long as we don't lose to Jackson State, UT-Martin, or North Alabama. Need to pile some road wins- so Memphis, the Governor's Cup which is a neutral site of course, and Samford are big games for us in that regard.

Seven of the last 8 SEC teams we play are Q1 teams. If we play decent/good baseball over the next 8 weeks we should be able to get our RPI high enough to get in the postseason. RPI is low right now because we haven't played many Q1 RPI teams. At the end everything will shake out though as long as we play well.

Todd4State
03-29-2022, 02:24 AM
There is also the sec tournament that can help us(or hurt us). We're due for a run there.

We'll see. I'm honestly not sure how much it helps or hurts a team. Unless it's a team that obviously wouldn't have made it without the automatic bid or something like that.

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2022, 07:33 AM
So the consistent programs from last year are Vandy, Tennessee, NC State, Virginia, Stanford, Texas, and Arizona. Those first 4 are pretty solidly Top 10. The next 3 are solidly Top 20. The only team of last years CWS 8 that is in a rebuild?.. seems to be State. And State went to the CWS 3 straight appearances: 2018, 2019, 2021. None of those other 7 accomplished that. We may have been more due for a step back than those 7 after 3 straight trips.

I can't find it right now, but pre-season I saw a stat along the lines of over the past 20 years, 50% of CWS winners have failed to make post season the following year.

HoopsDawg
03-29-2022, 07:37 AM
Our rpi is going to suck all year.
We are at 129 now. Dead last on the league and the 13th team is Bama at 85.

It will go up, but it's going to be a grind to get in the postseason.

our non-conference schedule was constructed poorly this season. gotta to be smarter about that.

Homedawg
03-29-2022, 08:19 AM
Work to do still but much more likely that we make a regional than not. Especially if KC Hunt can come back and stabilize some things with our pitching staff.

The biggest thing is we just have to not tank at this point like 2015. If we win 12-13 SEC games we should get in as long as we don't lose to Jackson State, UT-Martin, or North Alabama. Need to pile some road wins- so Memphis, the Governor's Cup which is a neutral site of course, and Samford are big games for us in that regard.

Seven of the last 8 SEC teams we play are Q1 teams. If we play decent/good baseball over the next 8 weeks we should be able to get our RPI high enough to get in the postseason. RPI is low right now because we haven't played many Q1 RPI teams. At the end everything will shake out though as long as we play well.

I hope you mean 12/13 more Bc winning 12/13 sec games isn't getting us in post season. Not even close.

Cooterpoot
03-29-2022, 04:01 PM
We'll have to explode to make post season. That's hitting better, fielding better, & pitching a lot better. That's going to be tough to do. Not impossible, but unlikely. Maybe we get the defending NC bump if we get close and finish strong.

Captain Falcon
03-29-2022, 04:25 PM
I hope you mean 12/13 more Bc winning 12/13 sec games isn't getting us in post season. Not even close.

Bama and LSU both made the NCAAT last year with those kind of records. Your chances at 13-17 are 50/50 at worst, might need a win or two in Hoover. At 14-16 we would be basically a lock to get in.

Still way too early to pay attention to RPI. It will take care of itself if we win a decent number of SEC games and most of our remaining nonconference. Tonight is not an insignificant game, especially on the road.

Homedawg
03-29-2022, 05:50 PM
Bama and LSU both made the NCAAT last year with those kind of records. Your chances at 13-17 are 50/50 at worst, might need a win or two in Hoover. At 14-16 we would be basically a lock to get in.

Still way too early to pay attention to RPI. It will take care of itself if we win a decent number of SEC games and most of our remaining nonconference. Tonight is not an insignificant game, especially on the road.

Did they lose series to Tulane, Long Beach and have a loss to northern kentucky? I'll answer that, NO... if we win 13 sec games we will not be in a regional, without winning the tournament!

Turfdawg67
03-29-2022, 06:27 PM
Glancing at this post I was sure it was MS7. Lolz... That was sad towards the end, however. Keep us updated though, seriously.

Turfdawg67
03-29-2022, 06:34 PM
Nvmd. What's the point...